ORAS Doubles OU RMT - Defining Gravity [OU Doubles]

DEFINING GRAVITY - OU DOUBLES GRAVITY TEAM

I've been playing around with using the move Gravity as the basis for a team recently, and I've patched together a team that I think is doing pretty well, and is doing reasonably on the ladder, however, I'm sure there are ways I could improve my team, so I was looking for some feedback!

For those of you who don't know (I'm sure you all do, but still) Gravity grounds all Pokémon, making them able to be hit by Ground Type moves, and also decreases all Pokémon's evasion by two stages, making powerful attacks with low accuracy such as Focus Miss Blast, Hydro Pump and Blizzard a lot more viable.

I understand it may seem that this team is completely reliant on Gravity, and it certainly does appreciate it, but this team can function in turns where Gravity is not active, however, due to Prankster Mental Herb Sableye, I am guaranteed to get Gravity up at least once! However, any recommendations or advice will be appreciated no matter what you advise!

ON TO THE TEAM!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sableye
@ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Gravity
- Quash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Sableye is the only Gravity user on my team, and is guaranteed to be one of my lead Pokémon. Gravity always goes first in order to set it up, followed by him usually switching out in order to use Gravity later, or possibly using Will-O-Wisp on a physical threat. Mental Herb is to ensure he doesn't get taunted.

Rotom-Frost
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Rotom-F is a strong special attacker, and the only Pokémon to have STAB BoltBeam, in the form of Thunder and Blizzard. Thanks to it's Choice Scarf it outspeeds pretty much everything, and can do a lot of damage to the opposing team. It is usually a lead alongside Sableye. Trick is there to annoy Clerics or Walls, though I haven't had a good enough reason to actually use it yet.

Lucario
@ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Lucario is a mixed attacker, able to high levels of damage to common Pokémon such as Tyranitar, Excadrill, Charizard, Talonflame etc. etc. However, while it is fast, it can't actually outspeed most of the Pokémon it is meant to be KOing, such as Sand Rush Excadrill and Talonflame, and usually gets knocked out pretty quickly.

Greninja
@ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Mat Block

Greninja is here simply to abuse Life Orb + Protean in order to do a lot of damage with STAB hits! Most of the attacks are self-explanatory. Mat Block is very situational, but has been helpful in circumstances where I felt leading with Rotom would be a poor choice and needed to be careful, or to protect team mates after a KO.

Durant
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-
Iron Head
- Crunch
- Superpower
-
Rock Slide

Durant's power under Gravity honestly surprised me, but Hustle gives him a very respectable 522 Attack, and Choice Scarf gives him a speedy 476 Speed. Thanks to Gravity, Hustle's negation of accuracy is completely ignored, and his attacks become absolutely devastating.

Garchomp
@ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-
Stone Edge
- Dragon Rush
-
Earthquake
-
Fire Blast

Garchomp is my chosen Mega, and functions pretty well under Gravity. Fire Blast, Dragon Rush and Stone Edge all benefit from the increase in accuracy, and Garchomp really appreciates being able to attack everything with Earthquake, being only resisted by Grass Types. He faces a lot of threat when opposing an Ice-Type, however, Lucario and Durant can deal with these easily.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's the team! Any feedback would be super appreciated, I'm totally okay with replacing Pokémon with others if it would really improve my team! Thank you :)

Last edited:
I've got a couple quick edits. First off, walls don't really exist in doubles. the closest things are like amoonguss or aegi, and calling them walls is shaky. they're more...utility mons. so, running trickscarf is kinda unnecessary

so, I'm gonna recommend you replace rotom with...rotom wash. You get a better typing and still have 2 low acc high power moves to abuse. Run hydro/thunder/willO/tect with a LO.

Second, run regular LO garchomp. mega is not viable at all anywhere (except BH but yah no). This then allows you to run mega Char Y over greninja. This helps counteract rain teams and it can run focus blast+ heat wave to make use of gravity. I'd recommend heat wave/ solar beam/ focus blast/tect.

Hope I helped!

PS run tect over fire blast on chomp and change your nature accordingly. protect is kinda key.

{Note: Do not take my criticism personally; I am speaking with the intent of improving your team. And, I will try my best to maintain your team's identity.}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1: Improving the Team

Well, for a team that is completely reliant on Gravity, there is something absolutely wrong with the team when there is only one user and that user is extremely frail. And, I don't know if you know, but Mega Abomasnow's ability, Snow Warning, will bring Hail, which will guarantee that your Blizzards will never miss. Thus, I really suggest that you take out Sableye and Mega Garchomp (which is easy to counter and a waste of a Mega Slot) with Mega Abomasnow.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Blizzard

For your next matter, I noticed that your Blizzard-spamming Mons are also extremely frail. In my opinion, Greninja is alright for niche purposes, but there are certainly better Mons than Rotom-Frost. Kyurem-Black is one good example.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Protect

Next, I'd like to note that you have three Mons with Rock/Steel/Ground type moves. That is completely unnecessary. Just one Landorus-T is enough to solve the issue of Mega Charizard-Y and other Fire type Mons. If that is not the case, adding a Wide Guard user to stop Heat Wave would be ideal. In my opinion, you should add Aegislash since it can additionally pivot for Fighting types, which Blizzard-spamming Mons are usually frail to.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Now, the first four Mons that I presented to you have a good coverage. I already told you that your Blizzard-spamming Mons are frail to Fighting types. And although Landorus-T's Intimidate and Aegislash's immunity are present, I suggest that you use Cresselia to eliminate them for sure. In addition, Cresselia can provide you with Trick Room which Mega Abomasnow needs to perform at its best.

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Trick Room

Lastly, you can put any Mons that you want, usually to fill in any gaps that this team may have. I would just go for Volcanion because of its nice spread and counter to Ferrothorn and other annoyances. Cheers!

Volcanion @ Safety Goggles / Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power / Substitute
- Steam Eruption
- Protect
- Heat Wave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2: Other Suggestions:

If you are still insistent on using Gravity, put Gravity on Cresselia. That way you won't need Mega Abomasnow. The Choice Scarf set of Kyurem-Black is also nice to outspeed common threats, but if you don't want two choice scarf users, the you use Landorus-t's Life Orb set. Both sets can be found in this link: (Doubles~ http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/). Otherwise, you can replace Landorus-T and use the regular Diancie for more Trick Room support and counter against Fighting types. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)