ORAS OU (RMT) Me Tyrantrum not nice dino, me bash brains!

Tyrantrum and the Underlings
So, I recently made a team based on the team I used on Showdown, but the team still has problems. So I would like for any of you to come up with suggestions on how to fix the problems with the team.

Custom Rules for Suggestions:
1) No Pokemon that can not be bred (Basically no Legendary Pokemon)
2) No moves that are from previous gens only (ex. Soft-Boiled Clefable, Defog on most Pokemon, etc)
3) I will be 100% keeping Tyrantrum. If you need to dismantle the entire team, fine, but Tyrantrum stays exactly the way it is.

The Team

Grimlock (Tyrantrum) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Def / 252 Speed
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

The focus of this team was pretty much to build around Tyrantrum, who is my favorite Pokemon. I chose to use a DD Tyrantrum because it is a more versatile killer than a Choice Scarf/Band one. Once I get at least 1 DD up, I can more or less sweep as long as I have gotten rid of faster/very bulky Pokemon. Head Smash is ridiculously strong, being STAB and 150 base power and Rock Head removes the drawback. Dragon Claw was chosen over Outrage because it doesn't lock me in to a move that could allow Pokemon to switch in, resist the hit, and then revenge kill him. Earthquake deals with Rock, Steel, and Electric types. I have a Lum Berry which allows me to set up against Pokemon like Rotom-W who usually go for the Will-O-Wisp, and as long as I am already set up for sweeping I can go through things like Klefki or Sableye.

Roulette (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpDef
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Softboiled

Since this team is focused on Tyrantrum, having something to soak up Special Attacks was very necessary. I have Chansey as both a Wall and a Cleric. Seismic Toss allows for the best damage Chansey can do, usually ranging from 25-30%. Toxic allows Chansey to stall out/cripple bulky Pokemon. Heal Bell can be used instead of switching out for Natural Cure in case something else gets paralyzed or burned. Softboiled just allows Chansey to live longer.

Nokia (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpDef
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Stealth Rocks allows me to get some residual damage, plus it breaks Focus Sash for Tyrantrum to be able to sweep. Thunder Wave slows things down that are too fast for Tyrantrum, such as Weavile, Mega-Lopunny, or Gengar. Leech Seed allows for slight damage and healing, and can also force a switch at times. I chose Power Whip over 0 Speed IV Gyro Ball because I needed something to deal with Water-types well enough, and I think Ferrothorn can do fine at that.

Sears (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Speed
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom is my secondary physical wall, and does arguably better yet worse than Ferrothorn. Volt Switch is for a little bit of damage and switch. Hydro Pump can usually 2/3HKO anything it comes across. Will-O-Wisp cripples any physical threats, and since most of Tyrantrum's weaknesses are Physical types, it works out well. Pain Split allows for some healing + damage.

Starscream (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Naive
EVs: 4 Attack / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Garchomp is the fastest Pokemon on-switch on the whole team. It outspeeds most of the Pokemon I need it to, but it still falls behind on some of the larger threats. Draco Meteor hits hard, and the Special Attack drop isn't always relevant since I can just as easily switch to using physical attacks. Fire Blast murders just about any Steel-type I come across, with the exception of Heatran who dies to Earthquake. Stone Edge covers Ice and Flying types, which can usually screw over the team.

Xavier (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body (Tough Claws)
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Def / 252 Speed
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Metagross is the fastest Pokemon on the team with the exception of boosted Tyrantrum. However, he starts off slow on the turn he Megas so I usually have to either risk it or wait for the right time. Meteor Mash hits Fairys, Zen Headbutt covers Fighting and bulky Poisons, Hammer Arm hits Rock, Steel, and Ice, and Ice Punch hits Ground, Flying, and Dragon. This pairs extremely well with Tyrantrum, because it can kills many of his threats.

Threats I have encountered:
Gengar

Gengar speed ties with Mega Metagross, and the unfortunate part is that if it wins, Metagross dies and I just about lose. I can normally force a switch with Chansey, but there have been times where I have only had Chansey and I need to forfeit because Chansey can't touch Gengar. Ferrothorn is more-or-less the only reliable counter, since I can use Thunder Wave, but more often than not he is dead by that time.

Choice Scarf'd Landorus
As long as it isn't Scarfed, I can outspeed this thing and kill it with either Garchomp or Mega Metagross, but if it is scarfed it will usually kill them and leave me with nothing that can stand much of a chance.

Weavile
Weavile is fast and can hurt most of my team. Tyrantrum can easily be revenge killed by Ice Shard, Garchomp is obvious, and Metagross is weak to the Dark side. Plus, if Rocks don't kill the Sash, I usually don't get to kill it with Tyrantrum or Metagross anyways.

Mega Sableye
With a combination of bulk, Will-O-Wisp, and Recover, this thing is a very annoying sight. If I can manage to set-up 2 DDs with Tyrantrum while it is off the field, though, I can usually tear through the team anyways.

Personal rules for suggestions:

1) No Pokemon that can not be bred
2) No moves that are from previous gens only (ex. Soft-Boiled Clefable)
3) I will be 100% keeping Tyrantrum. If you need to dismantle the entire team, fine, but Tyrantrum stays exactly the way it is.

Attachments

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi.
This is a pretty cool balance team you have going. I've liked Tyrantrum ever since I swept with it in a Random Battle. (It was another Dragon Dance variant.) Let's look at ways it can be improved.
Something that stood out to me is that you are using a slow, frail Pokémon in Tyrantrum, as well as some passive Pokémon in Chansey and Ferrothorn. To me, this looks like you are inviting in wallbreakers such as SD Mold Breaker Excadrill, which beats your whole team bar Garchomp and post-Mega Metagross. Despite the fact that these revenge killers don't let it 6-0 you, it means that every time this Pokémon comes in, something will be sacrificed or heavily damaged on your team.
To start off, I think a good change for your team would be replacing Ferrothorn with Skarmory. Most fast attackers either don't want to stay in on Ferrothorn, fearing Gyro Ball (Weavile, Gengar) can deal massive damage (Mega Lopunny, Mega Medicham), or usually end up doing more damage to themselves than they do to it, causing them to switch (Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor), meaning successful Thunder Wave opportunities are few and far between. Skarmory, on the other hand, offers helpful hazard removal, reliable recovery, and the ability to force out most physical attackers. All of these traits mean that it can survive a long time.
Try this set:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Defog
-Whirlwind
All of the physical attackers I mentioned, however, would love to come in on Chansey! I think you should replace Toxic with Thunder Wave on Chansey.
Coverage is nice for Mega Metagross, but I feel that yours would be better equipped with Bullet Punch over Hammer Arm to KO problematic Pokémon like Weavile; the Ice and Rock types are already covered by Meteor Mash.
Good luck with your team :)

Hi.
This is a pretty cool balance team you have going. I've liked Tyrantrum ever since I swept with it in a Random Battle. (It was another Dragon Dance variant.) Let's look at ways it can be improved.
Something that stood out to me is that you are using a slow, frail Pokémon in Tyrantrum, as well as some passive Pokémon in Chansey and Ferrothorn. To me, this looks like you are inviting in wallbreakers such as SD Mold Breaker Excadrill, which beats your whole team bar Garchomp and post-Mega Metagross. Despite the fact that these revenge killers don't let it 6-0 you, it means that every time this Pokémon comes in, something will be sacrificed or heavily damaged on your team.
To start off, I think a good change for your team would be replacing Ferrothorn with Skarmory. Most fast attackers either don't want to stay in on Ferrothorn, fearing Gyro Ball (Weavile, Gengar) can deal massive damage (Mega Lopunny, Mega Medicham), or usually end up doing more damage to themselves than they do to it, causing them to switch (Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor), meaning successful Thunder Wave opportunities are few and far between. Skarmory, on the other hand, offers helpful hazard removal, reliable recovery, and the ability to force out most physical attackers. All of these traits mean that it can survive a long time.
Try this set:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Defog
-Whirlwind
All of the physical attackers I mentioned, however, would love to come in on Chansey! I think you should replace Toxic with Thunder Wave on Chansey.
Coverage is nice for Mega Metagross, but I feel that yours would be better equipped with Bullet Punch over Hammer Arm to KO problematic Pokémon like Weavile; the Ice and Rock types are already covered by Meteor Mash.
Good luck with your team :)
I would like to use Skarmory instead of Metagross, in fact I used a Skarmory and Clefable before I used Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, but the problem with Skarmory that I see is that I can't get a Defog Skarmory. I want this team for in-game just as much as I want it for online, and I can't get a Defog 5 IV Skarmory with the Pentagon. Do you have any suggestions on what to replace Defog or Skarmory itself with?

I also agree with the Thunder Wave on Chansey. It's something I have considered for a while, since it could bulk through 99% of hits and then be able to paralyze it and switch out if it needed to.

EDIT:
Forgot to comment on the Hammer Arm part. That is there to counter Steel or Dark types, since things like Excadrill, Heatran, Bisharp, and Magnezone completely counter Metagross otherwise.

Hey, not much of a rate but Mega Manectric seriously hurts you. Hits both of your dragon powerhouses for 4x with HP Ice (iirc about rock), hits Meta and Ferro with Flamethrower/Overheat, and hits Rotom-W for some solid neutral but powerful STAB damage, even being able to Volt Switch to a safe alternative to absorb a predicted hit.

Also, the common duo core member with M. Manectric is Tornadus-T who hits Chansey hard with LO boosted Superpower. So your one check is dead as soon as it switches in to absorb Volt Switch. You're going to want more resists to this common moveset, more so for M. Manectric. Still Tornadus-T is pretty common and can dent this team too with Superpower, Knock Off, Heat Wave, HP Ice, Taunt, etc. Not to mention the fact that these two mons heavily outspeed your team (again iirc; I know Manectric does for a fact). That core is your biggest threat imo

Hey, not much of a rate but Mega Manectric seriously hurts you. Hits both of your dragon powerhouses for 4x with HP Ice (iirc about rock), hits Meta and Ferro with Flamethrower/Overheat, and hits Rotom-W for some solid neutral but powerful STAB damage, even being able to Volt Switch to a safe alternative to absorb a predicted hit.

Also, the common duo core member with M. Manectric is Tornadus-T who hits Chansey hard with LO boosted Superpower. So your one check is dead as soon as it switches in to absorb Volt Switch. You're going to want more resists to this common moveset, more so for M. Manectric. Still Tornadus-T is pretty common and can dent this team too with Superpower, Knock Off, Heat Wave, HP Ice, Taunt, etc. Not to mention the fact that these two mons heavily outspeed your team (again iirc; I know Manectric does for a fact). That core is your biggest threat imo
Yep, you're right. I forgot to add Mega Manectric to the threats (by the way, it is only 2x against Tyrantrum, Rock isn't weak to Ice, Ice is weak to Rock).

What would you suggest to counter Mega Manectric and/or Tornadus? I have struggled with it before, but I have also beaten it before when I managed to get it down to Chansey vs Mega Manectric.

I would like a counter for Mega Manectric more-so, as I have encountered that far more often than Tornadus-T or a Tornadus-T/Mega Manectric duo.

Ah, thanks for the spot on Rock.

Hm. Mega Venusaur, Water/Grounds, and AV Raikou come to mind. They all tank hits due to Thick Fat, pure typing, and massive Special bulk respectively.

Bisharp would also be an awesome counter if you predicted the switch right. You could get Defiant boost and then Sucker Punch, although it's a bit gimmicky and specific. But it's still true that Manectric is basically just an all out attacker, so Sucker Punch will hit whenever there isn't a switch. It's risky because fire coverage exists, but it can work.

Oh, and of course anything faster than base 135 too. Scarf Excadrill comes to mind, but it depends how well you could incorporate it. It outspends because its base stat basically goes up to 136 with scarf so it's always Jolly.

Ah, thanks for the spot on Rock.

Hm. Mega Venusaur, Water/Grounds, and AV Raikou come to mind. They all tank hits due to Thick Fat, pure typing, and massive Special bulk respectively.

Bisharp would also be an awesome counter if you predicted the switch right. You could get Defiant boost and then Sucker Punch, although it's a bit gimmicky and specific. But it's still true that Manectric is basically just an all out attacker, so Sucker Punch will hit whenever there isn't a switch. It's risky because fire coverage exists, but it can work.

Oh, and of course anything faster than base 135 too. Scarf Excadrill comes to mind, but it depends how well you could incorporate it. It outspends because its base stat basically goes up to 136 with scarf so it's always Jolly.
So out of the 4 you suggested, I think 2 of them are the most viable; those being Choice Scarf Excadrill and Water/Ground (specifically Quagsire). I don't think Mega Venusaur would be a great fit, since I feel Mega Metagross works better for the things that I need it to do. AV Raikou is instantly out because I can't get a 5IV Raikou without some insane luck or Genning one in.

Then, out of Excadrill and Quagsire, I feel like Quagsire would be the better pick. While Excadrill hits harder than Quagsire by quite a bit, I already have quite a few Steel/Ground/Rock/etc, but Quagsire is different because it can bulk through anything but also cover the Mega Manectric weakness. Quagsire (the set I would use) would know Scald, Earthquake, Recover, and Toxic. This would mean that I have a Water and Ground STAB, AKA a second counter for some Ground, Fire, Rock, and Electric-types, it can recover health on its own, and because of Unaware I would also be able to switch it into something, probably take a hit, then cripple or kill it. I think Quagsire is a good idea, but I don't know what I would take out for it. Tyrantrum is off the table, and considering it is a Quagsire so are Garchomp and Metagross. This leaves Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Rotom-W. So I'll make a Pros and Cons list.

Ferrothorn:
+ Stealth Rocks
+ Power Whip deals with Water-types and the occasional Ground-type
+ Defensive
+ Iron Barbs
+ Leech Seed and Thunder Wave are a really fun combination
+ Only a weakness to Fire and Fighting
- 4x weakness to Fire
- Slow as all hell
- Usually dies or is useless by mid-battle
- Very low Special Defense
- Even with high Physical Defense, it can still die in 2 or so hits to a strong physical attack

Chansey:
+ Special wall, which covers a lot of Tyrantrum's weak points
+ Natural Cure + Heal Bell means it is a cleric for both itself and the rest of my team (who are very prone to Will-O-Wisp)
+ Extremely long-lasting due to Eviolite and Soft-boiled
+ Toxic goes extremely well with its bulk to whittle down opponents
- Capable of living most physical attacks, but a strong Fighting will more than likely one-shot it
- Still slow
- Completely walled by Gengar, which is a threat to the team
- If Knock Off is used it becomes just about useless

Rotom-W:
+ Will-O-Wisp cripples a lot of common threats, such as Excadrill, Landorus, and Weavile
+ Volt Switch is both a strong(ish) attack and a chance to switch-out
+ Hydro Pump is a powerful move even for a bulky Pokemon
+ Pain Split can be an annoying little move most of the time
+ Only a Grass weakness with an immunity to Ground
- Slow, but not as slow as the other 2. Just usually slower than most of the threats.
- Even though it is bulky, it still can't take hits all that great
- Doesn't fair well against other bulky Pokemon, since it can't normally outlast them even with Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split, and Hydro Pump

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would like to use Skarmory instead of Metagross, in fact I used a Skarmory and Clefable before I used Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, but the problem with Skarmory that I see is that I can't get a Defog Skarmory. I want this team for in-game just as much as I want it for online, and I can't get a Defog 5 IV Skarmory with the Pentagon. Do you have any suggestions on what to replace Defog or Skarmory itself with?

I also agree with the Thunder Wave on Chansey. It's something I have considered for a while, since it could bulk through 99% of hits and then be able to paralyze it and switch out if it needed to.

EDIT:
Forgot to comment on the Hammer Arm part. That is there to counter Steel or Dark types, since things like Excadrill, Heatran, Bisharp, and Magnezone completely counter Metagross otherwise.
If you're concerned with those Steel types, consider Earthquake instead. Although you miss out on the Tough Claws boost and the ability to hit Rotom-W, you gain the benefits of perfect accuracy as well as the ability to hit Electric types (like Mega Manectric). In addition, the fact that your Speed remains the same makes it harder for stuff like Excadrill to come in after you've used it.

If you're concerned with those Steel types, consider Earthquake instead. Although you miss out on the Tough Claws boost and the ability to hit Rotom-W, you gain the benefits of perfect accuracy as well as the ability to hit Electric types (like Mega Manectric). In addition, the fact that your Speed remains the same makes it harder for stuff like Excadrill to come in after you've used it.
Earthquake works well, I did a little bit of testing with it. So far it has done very good, it allowed me to hit MegaZardX and a Jirachi as well.

Hi man cool team !!! Here's another Tyrantrum fan (i'm more of the choice band raw power). At first glance, your team is really weak to fighting types, especially Keldeo (who can cripple also garchomop with icy wind) Lopunny and mega Gallade. Even if you have mega Metagross you can't rely on a single pokemon to cover a weaknws of 3 memberss. Thats why i suggest you to replace Chansey for Clefable. Clefable can deal with Fight types and still provide cleric support with heal bell. I suggest you te unawere wall set, wich also provides wish support to Clefable itself and Ferrothorn and Garchomp, pokemon that don't have a reliable recovery move and will apreciate a lot Cefable Wish support. Also by addong Clefable you form a fantastic Fairy/Steel/Dragon core wich is really good on OU. here's the set

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unawere
EV: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold narute
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

I also recomend to change Rotom W for Starmie. You meed a hazard remover, and if you can't obtain past generatiom moves (mainly Defog) Starmie is a good option that provide rapid spin. The offensive will be good to provide good coverage to your team. Also you already have Stamie weaknes cover with Clefable(Dark,Bug) and Ferrothorn (Electric, Grass) except Ghost, but Starmie outspeed and OHKO Gengar with Psyshock.

The set:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EV: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock/Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

The defensive set could work too for Starmie.

Hope i can help!! And once again cool team !!

EDIT:

I notice you're weak to VoltTurn cores, especiallly the one of M-Manectric and Tornadus T that gyarayquaza mention. I suggest then to change M-Metagross for M-Loppuny. Lopunny speed tie with M-Manectric and can deal heavy damage with Fake Out + High Jump Kick and deal dececent damage to Tornadus with Ice Punch. Ice Punch also with Landorus -T and Gliscor for x4 damage and outspeed Weavile who you mention as a threat, aswell as hitting M-Sableye for super effective damage thanks to Scrappy.

The set:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Hi man cool team !!! Here's another Tyrantrum fan (i'm more of the choice band raw power). At first glance, your team is really weak to fighting types, especially Keldeo (who can cripple also garchomop with icy wind) Lopunny and mega Gallade. Even if you have mega Metagross you can't rely on a single pokemon to cover a weaknws of 3 memberss. Thats why i suggest you to replace Chansey for Clefable. Clefable can deal with Fight types and still provide cleric support with heal bell. I suggest you te unawere wall set, wich also provides wish support to Clefable itself and Ferrothorn and Garchomp, pokemon that don't have a reliable recovery move and will apreciate a lot Cefable Wish support. Also by addong Clefable you form a fantastic Fairy/Steel/Dragon core wich is really good on OU. here's the set

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unawere
EV: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold narute
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

I also recomend to change Rotom W for Starmie. You meed a hazard remover, and if you can't obtain past generatiom moves (mainly Defog) Starmie is a good option that provide rapid spin. The offensive will be good to provide good coverage to your team. Also you already have Stamie weaknes cover with Clefable(Dark,Bug) and Ferrothorn (Electric, Grass) except Ghost, but Starmie outspeed and OHKO Gengar with Psyshock.

The set:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EV: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock/Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

The defensive set could work too for Starmie.

Hope i can help!! And once again cool team !!

EDIT:

I notice you're weak to VoltTurn cores, especiallly the one of M-Manectric and Tornadus T that gyarayquaza mention. I suggest then to change M-Metagross for M-Loppuny. Lopunny speed tie with M-Manectric and can deal heavy damage with Fake Out + High Jump Kick and deal dececent damage to Tornadus with Ice Punch. Ice Punch also with Landorus -T and Gliscor for x4 damage and outspeed Weavile who you mention as a threat, aswell as hitting M-Sableye for super effective damage thanks to Scrappy.

The set:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
I did a pretty decent amount of testing with Clefable and Starmie, and I definitely like them both. Wish has been very helpful, mostly with Garchomp, and I managed to stop myself from getting swept by a +4 Bisharp twice, along with taking out a Mega Sableye. Starmie has also been a large help. It allowed me to take out a couple of Pokemon that I normally would have struggled with, namely Zapdos and Landorus-T. I'll do some testing with Mega Lopunny, I don't know how much I will like it. The upped speed seems very nice, but I'm hoping the downgrade in how hard it hits and the range it covers won't be too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)