VGC RMT - VCG 2016 - Looking 4 feedback

Hello everybody. I have been testing this team for VCG 2016 and I wanted to ask you for some insight on things I need to fix a little.
The idea of the team is based on the VCG cores post, in this case Primal G + Primal K.
The idea of the team is to outspeed my opponents either with TR or with TW and hit them really hard with the primals and Mega-Kanga.
Everyone on the team has either the lowest speed possible or the highest speed possible and access to priority.

Core:

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Origin Pulse
- Blizzard - Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Not a lot of explanation. This slow Kyogre is very dependant on Rain to work. Both Thunder and Origin Pulse are not 100% reliable if there is a chance of a Groudon swich in (or Rayquazza, but that's less problematic). I tested it with Blizzard but after many failures I chose Ice Beam instead because it is the only 100% precision attack Kyogre has. EVs are for a bulky strong build.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Blizzard -Hammer Arm

The other Primal shines because of its amazing coverage. I chose phisical Gdon because of Precipice Blades and Rock Slide. The idea is to outspeed with TK/TW and generate flinches and check flying opponents immune to PBlades. I never got to use Dragon Claw so I changed it and replaced with Hammer Arm which is ideal when dealing with slower threats such as Bronzong, Ferrothorn or even Amoongus. Again, EVs for a slow, powerful and bulky monster.

Setup:

Tornadus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Protect

The quickest Tornadus possible with Prankster to Taunt enemy taunters and Tailwind with priority. Hurricane is amazing under rain and as such Tornadus is the best partner for a Kyogre set (given that Kyogre is not that slow and outspeeds many threats in Tailwind). Focus Sash to allow him to act twice almost for certain. Again EVs for maximum power and in this case also maximum speed. With TR active, Tornadus works on its Prankster priority without problem.

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap
- Gravity
- Gyro Ball

The TR setter. Maximum special defense and HP to stand some hits and maximize its support. Minimum speed for TR and Gyro Ball. Skill swap to support the primals and Gravity to specifically support Groudon and to support the less acurate moves such as Kyogre's Origin Pulse and Thunder outside Rain.

Support

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch

The good ol' MegaKangas will help any partner to setup thanks to Fake Out and its sheer phisical power. Maximum speed and attack and a Jolly nature to outspeed or tie with enemy Kangas. Sucker punch to work inside TR. Return offers a nice STAB damage without recoil and Ice Punch helps counter a lot of common threats such as Salamence, Rayquazza and Landorus-T.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Clear Smog

The magic fungus is on. A nice staple for TR who helps the setup with Rage Powder and abuses its low speed with spore. Clear smog helps check Xerneas although I feel it is not enough. The EVs are completely for the bulk and the Rocky Helmet helps me check opposing Kangas and other dangerous phisical threats.

----

Well, this is the general framework. I am worried because I feel that I have too many support moves and little coverage all around. I also think that my EVs are too straightforward with 252/252/4 in all cases and I wish to know if you had better spreads for these builds. And most of all if you have any suggestion I am happy to hear it. And thank you very much to you all!

----
Type resistances and weaknesses.

hi Saintbarbecue, nice double primal team; it's one of, if not the strongest archetype now, and you've built a pretty great team around it.

that said, it does have its flaws, which i will elaborate on throughout this rate.

the first thing i see that's a bit off is tornadus. thundurus is generally just the better genie with access to stab electric-type attacks and the ability to check primal kyogre with a combination of a bulky spread + sitrus berry.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 180 HP / 60 Def / 4 SpA / 164 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

this bulkier thundurus spread benefits your team a bit more than the tornadus would have. a bulkier spread gives you another answer to primal kyogre which is great for your team. this is a spread that allows thundurus to creep base 100 pokemon (hits 158 speed) while living kangaskhan's double edge and primal kyogre's ice beam when facotring sitrus berry recovery. all the moves are fairly standard and are commonly seen on thundurus.

the rest of the changes are set / spread changes, so here we go.

primal kyogre can run a quiet nature on trick room teams if you would like it to. if so, a spread of 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA is preferred to live zap plate raichu's volt tackle (which is the most important thing) as well as live a choice band mega rayquaza's dragon ascent most of the time. if you opt to stay modest, run the same spread as before, but only with a modest nature instead. if you want more options, look at the work in progress analysis here.
primal groudon, even on a trick room team, doesn't really benefit it and the pokemon you said it helped in beating it beats otherwise. therefore, protect > hammer arm would be better here. i'm sure you know protect's utility as a whole in VGC so i don't think i need to explain why it's better. your spread is fine for this type of team. however, a brave nature would be more beneficial especially since you have 0 Speed IVs.
bronzong can run 44 Attack to ohko xerneas with gyro ball which is preferred since bronzong doesn't need all the special defense. protect > gravity is better for quite obvious reasons; even though gravity is good as a whole your team isn't specifically made for gravity so slapping it here isn't helping much.
as for kang, low kick / power up punch > ice punch is preferred. for starters, ice punch's overall utility has declined i feel from the switch over to VGC16, and the lack of a fighting-type move really seems to hurt most teams, yours is one of them. both low kick and power up punch are fine options here; low kick deals with dialga and kyurem-white while power up punch allows kang to set up steadily over time. (btw double edge and return do more damage to mega rayquaza because of delta stream)
finally, amoonguss can just run the spread listed on the analysis. while max hp/max def can work on some teams, you definitely need the special bulk in order to take on primal kyogre more reliably. you can also consider grass knot > clear smog since you already have checks to xerneas in bronzong and primal groudon.

that's it! hope the optimizations helped and good luck on your team.

Review:
over

252 hp / 180 def / 76 spa on

protect > hammer arm on

44 atk on

low kick / power up punch > ice punch on

analysis spread + grass knot over clear smog* on

*optional, but recommended

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant / Brave Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 180 HP / 60 Def / 4 SpA / 164 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Low Kick / Power-up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 60 Def / 204 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Grass Knot
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Fantastic. This was what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
I will test the team with the suggested changes and if I have new doubts I will post them here. Again thank you, everything was really clear.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)