Rocky Mountain High (1900+ Sand Hyper Offense)

Rocky Mountain High
Enjoy :D

Because I didn't own a 3DS, nor did I have the proper funds to buy a 3DS, my interest in Pokémon got killed when X&Y were announced. I barely played any of B2/W2, and wasn't extremely active on PS. However, I decided I wanted to give Gen 6 a go. Being the super creative person that I am, I took a team that was really useful to me in Gen 5 and pretty much copy-pasted it. I took it to PS after months of inactivity and literally no research as to the new Pokémon/Items/Moves/Strategies and got it to 1900 in a few games. It covered the new stuff (or what I encountered of it) really well, and I couldn't bring myself to make any changes except giving Scizor a mega evolution and changing around a few items. That's precisely why I decided to make this RMT. Hopefully you wonderful people will be able to school me on a few things and make this team a bit more badass than it already is.

The Team

Deoxys-D@Rocky Helmet
252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Timid Nature
Ability: Pressure
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Magic Coat

I love Deoxys-D lead. I cried IRL when it got banned from OU last season (no pics sorry). You can safely send this guy out against pretty much everything except for Deo-S, and even then you can just outplay him with correct Magic Coat usage. I prefer Deo-D to S as a lead because Deo-D is going to survive two hits of pretty much anything anyways, meaning that he can use his item slot to get some free damage off against physical attackers, which comes in handy if they are sashed/have Sturdy (spin this shit Donphan/Forretress) or if I am going to be killing them with one of my Pokémon without boosted attack stats. His functions outside of suicide hazarding include being death fodder, being status fodder, and being annoying-thing Taunter/Sableye Magic Coater. Most of the times, though, he just sets up SR and a layer of Spikes and dies. Oh yeah, 4 points in Def instead of SpDef so Genesect doesn't get Downloaded U-turn.

Terrakion@Choice Band
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Ability: Justified
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor
-Quick Attack

You might be wondering why I'm running Banded Terrakion instead of Scarfed. You might be wondering why my banded Terrakion has an Adamant nature instead of a Jolly one. And you might be wondering why the universe exists. Well, I can't answer that last question, but I can answer the first two. Terrakion's job on this team is to fuck shit up. Terrakion can 2HKO anything in the game (correct me if I'm wrong), and most things he will just 1HKO. I prefer to use Quick Attack over Sacred Sword because Terrakion is going to stay in and kill something or switch out in 95% of cases, so I didn't see a reason to have redundant and weaker coverage just to avoid defense drops when I could have priority. Also, not many people expect Quick Attack. "Only noobs run quick attack" - Person who lost to me because I was running Quick Attack.

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
252 HP/64 SpAtk/192 SpDef
Sassy Nature
Ability: Sandstorm
-Pursuit
-Crunch
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam

O Tyranitar, master of deception! You flee from fear of its teeth, its tail spikes, its back spikes, its head spikes, and its toe... spikes. But lo! you have not gone unpunished for your treachery, for the beast has struck you in its great dexterity as you cowardly turned away! You send forth your Skarmories, your Ferrothorns and Gliscors, but they fall to its vengeful wrath! In case you haven't noticed from my enthusiasm, I enjoy using mixed T-tar on this team. It is the master baiter, rendering many annoying walls obsolete while still doing a damn good job trapping things like the Latis/insert Psychic Special Attackers here. On top of this, it can take special hits like Sylvester Stallone can take punches. I used to run Chople Berry, but since I learned from experience that Mega Lucario 1HKOs it with CC even with Chople and Chople is useless vs. Mega Kangaskhan anyways (also learned that from experience), I decided to switch it out for Assault Vest. As the unpopular saying goes, you can always be more Specially bulky.

Gengar@Black Sludge
252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate
-Substitute
-Disable
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Miss *cough* Blast

"If I had one Gengar for every Deo-D that I saw, then the sum of those two numbers divided by two would be the number of Deo-D Hyper Offense teams that I've seen." Yeah, Gengar is pretty much a standard partner for Deoxys-D, and for good reason. He blocks Rapid Spin and does damage while having amazing type coverage in two moves. Being immune to EQ is an added bonus when the two most popular spinners are Excadrill and Donphan. I run Sub-Disable because Gengar is squishier than the Pillsbury Dough Boy, so the set deals with things he can't 1HKO (most things) a lot easier. Often times the enemy will switch out of Gengar anyways, allowing for a free Sub to go off. It also lets Gengar deal with Mega Kangaskhan by himself. The real beauty of the set, though, is that Gengar is fast enough to revenge pretty much the entire unboosted meta without using Scarf, which means that Gengar can fill yet another useful role.

Scizor@Scizorite
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
Ability: Technician
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Roost

I apologize for not being able to find an animated Mega Scizor sprite. Deal with it. I also understand that the cool thing to do nowadays is to just give Mega Scizor a ton of Special Defense so he can be more bulky while he SDs to infinite power. To that I also say deal with it. Adamant Mega Scizor with one SD and 252 Attack EVs has 876 Attack. Scizor's job is to make things die. 876 Attack Technician-STAB priority makes things die. If it gets two SDs off the enemy team might as well forfeit (unless they burn it, because 30% = 100% when determining if Scizor will get burned by Scald or Flame Body). If Scizor doesn't sweep, it will hurt enough things to let Terrakion sweep. And if it somehow doesn't even do that, it will hurt enough things to let Latios hurt enough things to let Terrakion sweep. You see, Scizor is a team player. He doesn't just set up himself, he sets up his friends at the same time.

Latios@Choice Scarf
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power Fire
-Trick

I used to have a Ditto instead of Latios when I first made this team in Gen 5, but this guy has proved way more useful over time. Latios is the glue that holds everything together on this team. It covers the massive water weakness, especially Keldeo, it serves as a reliable revenger (as opposed to Gengar who can't revenge boosted Pokémon), it can disable stally Pokémon with Trick, and it can be sweeper late game depending on the circumstances. The only time Latios has let me down was when it missed two Draco Meteors in a row against a 58% Cinccino in a final 1v1. Other than that, Latios is the Pokémon that is making the plays which will determine whether the game is win or loss most of the time.

Bye!
Code:
Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, this does have the look of a standard bw heavy offense team! And that would be ok. If this was bw. However, this team faces a massive weakness to Aegislash. Mixed sets outspeed Tyranitar and ohko with Sacred Sword, can switch in with impunity on pretty much your entire team bar Gengar (who is wrecked easily with only ghost/fight coverage tbh) and if that mixed set carries Kings Shield, well, you might as well say GG. Two Choiced mons isnt that good either with the power and speed decline, as there are things just waiting to switch in and set up, and most things run priority anyway. Mega Luke is also a bitch to handle.

First off terrakion and latios arent as good as they were last generation. Terrakion just makes you really excadrill weak and aegislash weak. Try running Garchomp>Terrakion. Garchomp is still an excellent wall breaker, and does better in this metagame. Rough Skin punishes priority and Genesect, but you can also run Sand Veil since you run sand. Either one is fine.

However, a fighting type is still an excellent thing to have, as a fighting/psychic/dark core is strong. Scizor also seems so...bad. From experience, SD scizor isnt all that great, being forced out by common pokemon like talonflame, heatran, aegislash, etc. A far better SD sweeper is Mega Lucario. It absolutely loves garchomps wall breaking powers, as well as hazard damage. This gives you much better coverage as well, and a just as powerful Bullet Punch. It also gives you a good Kang check as well, especially if you run Justified for any stray crunches that the opp might run for Deo. Hope I helped your team! Good Luck!

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified --> Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch/ Crunch/ Extremespeed

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi,

This seems like a pretty decent HO team. There's not much to say about the goal of the team, you lay hazards, pound away with Banded Terrakion and finally clean up with a SD Mega Scizor. That seems like a pretty good plan, and probably works decently well in this meta. However, your team looks to be incredibly weak to Aegislash, meaning that you're going to have a tough time actually sweeping with Scizor, since Aeigislash is a full stop to it. Just about everything on the team dies to Aegislash's moves (in fact, ABSOLUTELY everything dies). But this is HO so it's not really supposed to have great defensive synergy anyway. On top of that, you don't really have anything that can stop a good Defogger from blowing away your hazards, making Deoxys-D a useless teamslot whenever a Latias, Gliscor, Scizor, or Mandibuzz shows up on the opponent's team.

The first suggestion I have is to change X-Scissor to Earthquake on Terrakion. X-Scissor was great in Gen 5 for hitting Psychics (especially Celebi) on the switch for massive damage, because they were often used to absorb Terrakion's Close Combats. However, now that Aegislash exists, it is far better to run Earthquake. It resists one STAB and is immune to the other, so it will most likely switch in a lot. If you can hit it on the switch with a Banded Earthquake, it will be much, much easier to take down with Scizor later. In fact, with just one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, you can OHKO Aegislash about 19% of the time! But if you still want insurance for Aegislash, you can run Will-O-Wisp over Disable on Gengar. Many Pokemon that liek to switch into Gengar (Assault Vest Ttar and Scizor, for example) hate being burned. With Sub and WoW, you can safely burn the opponent while seeing what it is they play on doing to you. This is great because a burned Aegislash is much less scary than a healthy one. Finally, Assault Vest Ttar seems out of place on this team. Instead, I would use Swords Dance Bisharp over Tyranitar. Bisharp is the face of Hyper Offense this generation. Thanks to Defiant, it can switch in on many common Defoggers such as Latias and Latios, while also getting a free +2. But not only does it make Defog not such a bad thing, it also makes Landorus-T wary of switching in, since you actually get an effective +1 from Intimidate. And on top of all that, Bisharp makes a fantastic wallbreaker in general for Scizor, since it can use its STAB Knock Off to weaken physical walls not just in terms of damage, but also remove their Leftovers or Rocky Helmet.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help. Good luck with the team!

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 132 Spd / 252 Atk / 124 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)