Metagame RU Stage 12 - I Kissed A Girl (Enamorus-Therian Suspect Test)

feen

control
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
RU Leader
1715915119626.png

Hi,

Following the tiering survey, the council has decided to suspect test Enamorus-Therian.

Enamorus-Therian has firmly entrenched itself as one of RU’s premier wallbreakers. Sporting a superb base 135 Sp Atk, access to an incredibly spammable STAB attack in Moonblast, and having access to Earth Power to provide coverage for would be Fairy-type resists, there is very little in the tier that feels confident switching into Enamorus-Therian. Its offensive toolbox is further supported by access to easy setup in the form of Calm Mind which bolsters both Enamorus-Therian’s offense and defense, as well as Draining Kiss as a STAB option that doubles as support giving Enamorus-Therian the ability to heal itself. In addition to Enamorus’s superb offenses, it also has an impressive 74/110/100 defensive line allowing it to tank neutral and even some weaker Super Effective hits from the majority of the tier.

However Enamorus-Therian is not a perfect mon and there are several aspects about its kit that can be exploited. The most glaring of which is Enamorus-Therian’s abysmal base 46 speed. This means that oftentimes Enamorus-Therian can find itself being outsped and threatened by faster breakers or even utility options such as Okidogi for the former and Jirachi for the latter. This can be circumvented with an appropriately timed use of Terastallization, however this is an extremely committal move and should be considered with appropriate caution. Enamorus-Therian also lacks a reliable recovery move, as well as prone to common attacks and status moves, which makes it a bit hard to step into the field safely and risks being chipped. As a Flying-type, Enamorus-Therian also often finds itself pigeon-holed into running Heavy-Duty Boots in an effort to stave off Stealth Rocks whittling it through the duration of a game. (credits to Ming549)

Tagging dhelmise and Marty to announce it to the RU ladder. Thanks a lot!

GXEminimum games

Suspect information:
  • All games must be played on the Pokémon Showdown! RU ladder on a new alt with the following format: "RUET (nickname)”. For example, RUET BANCYCLIZAR or RUET PAPAGAIO.
  • Do NOT impersonate other people in your ladder alt, do NOT use any usernames which are offensive, flame-baiting, or targeting specific users, and do NOT use usernames which could be interpreted as breaking any of the username rules on Pokémon Showdown! Failure to abide to this will result in you being barred from voting in this suspect, and potential infractions.
  • Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
  • Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
  • The suspect test will last for 10 days, ending on Sunday, May 26th. 9:59pm GMT -4
/!\ NOTICE /!\ RU will not be tolerating any form of voting manipulation. Any attempt to manipulate votes can result in an infraction, loss of eligibility to vote in the current test, and loss of the Tiering Contributor badge. While we won't necessarily enforce super strict punishment, this won't be tolerated and will be handled accordingly. Voting manipulation can simply be described as attempting to get people to vote a way on the test in inappropriate manners. Bribing with teams to vote a certain way, directly messaging people to vote a certain way, publicly announcing "vote this way" all fall under voting manipulation. For more query, feel free to PM me or TheFranklin.

Last edited:

Seed Sower

is this thing on
is a Tiering Contributor
Finished my reqs run surprisingly quickly, so here are some preliminary thoughts on Enam-T.

In 30 matches, I only encountered this diva a handful of times and to be honest it was kind of... fine... ? Enam is clearly a very good mon on paper, but it felt very predictable every time I faced it, at least in this particular run. However, given the strong community sentiment towards it, I felt like I was missing something.

As of writing this, I'm kind of on the fence about where I stand on Enam... its 2 main sets are setup with Boots plus Calm Mind/Agility (CM being the most common by far) or Specs (much less common), but you can usually tell what kind of set it is as soon as it switches in based on whether it takes rocks damage or not. You know it's definitely going to run Moonblast + EP. Its other coverage moves (Sludge Bomb, Psychic, Mystical Fire, Weather Ball) are alright if rather niche. Draining Kiss is an OK option for some recovery. Lately Tera Electric is the Tera type of choice as a supposed answer to stuff like Jirachi, Bisharp and Brave Bird Moltres, although I personally feel like Tera on this thing is soooo easily telegraphed and played around.

But yeah, since my laddering experience didn't feel informative enough, I decided to sift through all of the RUPL/RUGL replays to date with Enam-T to see how it has performed in recent tours (or as close to the current meta as we can get; I recognize that Thundy and Leaves being banned change things quite a bit). I omitted replays where Enam was never sent out.

xagvb vs olivebranch
Enam wasn't sent out till the endgame against CM Suicune at +2 so it couldn't do anything in return at that point.

Lime vs Cielau
Enam was sent out several times to force switches, but really only managed to get two hits during in the whole match due to Jirachi/Chansey.

feen vs umbry
Enam landed a nice surprise kill with sandstorm + Weather Ball, then later tried to Tera Electric against a Krook which was predicted and met with an EQ.

Xiri vs Kushalos
Enam managed to snipe a Cyclizar switch-in, get one CM off, and 2HKO a Munkidori before getting revenge killed.

Thiago Nunes vs umbry
Enam got one hit in the whole match, which was some nice damage on a non-bulky Jirachi.

Skarpherim vs Danny
Enam sniped a Cyclizar switch-in again in the early game and got big damage on a Thundy before dying.

Xiri vs Lime
It was sacked here so it didn't do anything.

Mana vs Danny
Enam managed to get a few CMs in throughout the match and did some decent damage to CM Slowbro, although Heattom scared it out.

Master Chief vs THE_CHUNGLER
Enam got a CM in and knocked out a weakened Fez and a Quagsire. It went Tera Electric against a +2 Bisharp to try to tank Iron Head, but died anyway to a well-timed Throat Chop.

mncmt vs Feliburn
+1 Enam did some good damage to AMuk with EP before getting ultimately revenged by Iron Leaves.

Floss vs toinha
It picked off a sacked Amoonguss, but otherwise did nothing consequential the whole match.

sensei axew vs mncmt
Enam was sent in to eat an unboosted Ice Beam from a Cresselia, but otherwise did nothing the whole match.

Master Chief vs Skarpherim
CM Enam managed to be an endgame wincon here with Tera Electric coming in very clutch against a Jirachi.

Danny vs LpZ
Enam used Tera Poison to absorb a Toxic from Amoonguss, which it managed to take down, and took down a non-bulky Jirachi before switching out to avoid getting revenged.

Star vs Beraldo
Enam was sent in to eat a Flamethrower from Volcanion but otherwise did nothing the whole match.

Drud vs FlamingoPokeman
Tera Fairy Specs Enam did huge damage on a Slowbro but was otherwise pressured by Jirachi and Yanmega pretty heavily, in addition to taking rocks damage several times.

Hacker vs myjava
CM Enam beat a Talonflame in the 1v1, got hazed by Milotic, and then later lost vs Chansey.

THE_CHUNGLER vs BeTheShadow
Enam was sent in once against a Cyclizar, then did nothing the rest of the match before dying to a +2 Leaves in the endgame.

MachJacob vs sufys
Enam was sent in to eat a Liquidation from a weakened Araquanid and pick it off before dying in the endgame to Leaves.

Forest Guardian vs justdrew
Agi Enam killed a sacked Noivern, but got paralyzed by Jirachi and then struggled to do much else the rest of the match.

So there are a whole lot of instances where Enam did nothing significant. Many times it managed to do some big chip damage or kill a stray Cyclizar, but overall, it was hard to find a match in which it was truly that oppressive. The rocks weakness without HDB and lack of reliable recovery make Enam much trickier to position and use as a CM sweeper compared to other non-rocks weak CM mons like Suicune, Bro, Reuni, Fez, and Cress, which can afford to invest in their already solid bulk to enable their setup and/or heal off chip damage. Draining Kiss indeed recovers a bit of HP, but running Kiss over other coverage moves limits your ability to deal with such mons as Moltres, Amoonguss and Heattom. Trying to set up with CM or heal yourself with a weak/resisted Kiss can also open you up to being locked into Encore by Jirachi (or M**sh*ld) or a tricked choice item, which shuts you down completely. Unlike many other CM users, Enam has to thread this bizarre needle of investing in power AND bulk AND speed to beat its checks, but it often times can't reasonably invest in all 3 without falling short somewhere. Despite the good coverage, natural bulk, and spammability of its moves, I don't find it to be significantly worse than any of the other CM demons that have been floated around for discussion lately.

Would love to hear others' thoughts on babygirl.

Well, I suppose I should post my thoughts on Enamorus-Therian given how quiet this has been lately. FP rant dropping -

Enamorus-Therian is undoubtably one of the strongest mons in the tier with regards to how much pressure it can put on teams immediately, with an astounding base 135 SpA which hits 405 when Modest and fully invested, which is the default for a majority of sets. This, along with it's Fairy typing, give it an absolute nuke button in STAB Moonblasts, which only a handful of mons can reliably switch into, namely Jirachi. These mons often struggle, however, with switching into Enam-T's other choice of attack, Earth Power. The combination of Fairy and Ground is definitely tough to account for given only Moltres, Rotom-Heat and Talonflame are viable mons that resist or are immune to both.

Unfortunately, Enam-T was cursed with a Speed stat of 46, not the worst in the game but definitely unfavorable. Even at +2 (assuming you run the best set, Agility + 3 Attacks), you're still looking to get outsped by a majority of the viable Choice Scarf users in the tier, a lot of which can reliably revenge kill Enam-T if worn down at all. Now, while I just mentioned how easy it is to revenge kill, Enam is still no slouch in the bulk department, getting a pretty cozy distribution of 74/110/100. Below are some spreads that see usage with a brief description of what they do:

56 Def / 252+ SpA / 200 Spe - Fast enough to creep base 70's like Wo-Chien.
140 HP / 252+ SpA / 116 Spe - Fast enough to creep base 60's like Empoleon.
252+ SpAtk / 4SpD / 252 Spe - Full speed investment for Nascar Enam-T (Agility + 3 Attacks, or Healing Wish).
248 HP / 224+ Def / 36 Spe - Double Dance spread provided by our Analysis team.

As you can see, astute reader, a lot of sets will run some sort of investment in HP or Defense. This does help alleviate some of the speed concerns but you're still susceptible to getting revenge killed by a majority of the tiers breakers. Using a defensive Tera is a way to mitigate this, as all of Electric, Ground or Poison are great options in this current metagame and you can even choose to run Fairy to really blow stuff up.

Now, with some of the background information regarding Enamorus-Therian out of the way, let's go into why I will be voting Do Not Ban.
As mentioned, the best switch-in on an Enam-T Moonblast is Jirachi, which hates seeing a predicted Earth Power but still lives and threatens it immediately. Jirachi is also incredibly splashable, super diverse in what it can do and generally just... more broken than Enam-T to me.
Okidogi is another awesome pick in this meta and both outspeeds Enam-T and threatens to kill immediately with Gunk Shot, which allows for a free Bulk Up if you're running that set.
Previously discussed Rotom-Heat can easily switch into a Moonblast and use that free turn to either Volt into your own breaker or Nasty Plot / Pain Split, similar to Moltres and Talonflame.
In general, Enam-T struggles into offensive structures, which is very much a bad thing in this meta. Being one of the best slow breakers in the tier doesn't amount to much when you lack priority, have notable weaknesses and switch-ins and are somewhat Tera reliant to make progress. I think it is an A/A+ mon for sure but definitely not worth considering action on, at least until we wake up and ban Jirachi.

meloetta!

Hello very active suspect thread with a lot of discussion happening!

I've accepted at this point that I will never be able to attain the reqs possible in time, both due to a lack of skill (sorry guys i'm washed, i'm 1235 now, I've been demoted to flipping burgers in low ladder) and a lack of time, and I think even if I were to find the time to hop on the suspect tours I'd get crushed round one by a top 10 ladder player. Also it's kinda annoying to be pigeonholed into getting 30 wins in a row or bust and be forced to constantly make new alts. Not exactly the best feeling to experience 3 losses in a row due to getting matched up into a losing game at team preview and know that you're gonna have to play 60 more games perfectly from there to reach 78% GXE, knowing the whole time that if you lose once you have to play an extra 3 more games to regain and surpass your GXE from before the loss.

But... if I *did* vote, if I could, I would personally vote Do Not Ban. Now don't get me wrong, Enam is really really strong, and I've seen firsthand what a pain it can be to deal with, as one of the best slow breakers in the tier, and one that can become near unkillable. I get it: It's got near unresisted coverage, it's got 135 SpA, it's pretty bulky, and can run away with teams thanks to Draining Kiss, but hear me out in saying that it's really, REALLY hard nowadays to actually get Enam to do anything.

First, the most obvious thing: what kind of team do you fit Enam on?
It's role is definitely that of both a breaker and wincon, but what do you even run next to it?
It's more of a Balance Mon, not really fitting onto Stall or HO (excepting the Trick Room HO that terrorizes ladder every month for 3-4 days, that's the best archetype that it fits onto)
To be honest, I very rarely see well-made teams that take advantage of Enam's game-ending potential, even milling through the various RUPL XI replays, especially the most recent week 5 ones, it really has not shown that it's worthy of a suspect test, being used the same amount as GASTRODON, and with a 0% winrate (gastrodon had a 50% winrate btw), and as the time of writing has made zero appearances in Week 6, not exactly the thing that you want to be seeing. And it's not as if Rotom-Heat is on 80% of teams or anything, it really just has made 0 appearances in both ladder and tourny play. (jirachi is though... probably has something to do with it)

And touching on that, did you know that last month Enamorus had about 6.6% usage? Yeah the "super broken" 600 bst legendary with unresisted coverage that's currently undergoing a suspect test. THAT Enamorus. And I personally believe that it's not just another Toxtricity thing where people barely run it, but everyone overprepares for it (ah the days of every team running blissey-palossand)

Another thing is how it forces you to build around it. That's not the worst thing in the world, plenty of pokemon require that you use certain support to keep them at optimal levels of effectiveness, either through strong hazard control or by virtue of fitting better on some archetypes than others. But Enam is unique. Like, REALLY unique. For one, Stealth Rock weakness. That means that you would want to fit on HDB, right? But that means that you're weaker in an endgame scenario, that you're suddenly weaker to chip damage, that they truly can wear you down into range of a big move; because if you ain't got lefties, you're less bulky, and less resilient. Essentially, Enamorus-T is NOT splashable, you either use it and build around it or bust.

So if you want your Enamorus-T to be the best it possibly can be, you gotta have some GOOD hazard control, as in you gotta get your cyclizars, your forretresses, and you gotta make sure they don't perish, so that means that on top of going through the trouble of building entirely around Enamorus, you gotta actually play well! (terrifying I know) To be more accurate, ya gotta constantly play a game of keepaway with their Stealth Rocks, usually with Cyclizar, a pokemon that while splashable, recent RUPL winrates and gameplay in general has given more credence to the theory that it is able to be abused really easily, a theory that I feel gets more and more true by the day with more and more teams making sure to pack Body Press Volcanion, fighting types in general, etc. etc. So TLDR for this point, if you go through the trouble of using lefties Enam-T, you better make sure you can actually keep away those pesky rocks or else your Enam-T is never switching in ONCE until the end (and lets be honest, dramatic last stands make for great replays but they always fail 9 times out of 10, 1 pokemon with no setup and immediate pressure against it is reasonably not taking out an entire team, or even 3 mildly healthy mons)

Lefties or Booties, doesn't matter with this next point, same either way.

So you know how Enamorus-T has that funny Fairy/Flying typing right? The one with 5 common weaknesses in Ice (:cloyster:, Basc-F), Rock (:terrakion:, :Rhyperior:,:kleavor:,:necrozma:), Steel (:jirachi:!!, :revavroom:, :bisharp: (75% winrate last RUPL Week), :cobalion:), Electric (:rotom-heat: tbh unless kilowattrel makes a return, this slot is admittedly empty), and Poison (:okidogi:, :revavroom:, :gengar:, :overqwil:, :muk-alola:, :vileplume:)? Yeah if you notice those aren't exactly all bad mons, in fact they're all pretty good. Especially Jirachi "Choice Scarf" Wishmaker. Chances are, your opponent is gonna have at least one of these on their team. So, as with all good set-up sweepers (zarude.) what do you do to flip your matchups? Thats right.

TERA!!

Tera is what makes Enamorus-T so scary to face down, since the instant you bring something in that "threatens" it, boom, Tera Water, and you lose.

...But what if the Enamorus player burned their Tera early in the game...?
That's right!!! Instant death!!!
All of the mons listed above are given absolute free reign to click whatever stab/coverage move they please with no threat of retribution, assuming the Enam ain't a Double Dance version with +2 def or so, even then that doesn't help due to you usually taking a pretty helfty chunk. And remember, this is the Pokemon with a 46 speed stat. Everything aside from like Amoonguss or something gets to outspeed and absolutely decimate Enamorus-T, because no matter how much they invest in bulk, they can't just shrug off a Choice Banded Terrakion Rock Slide or an unboosted Revavroom Gunk Shot (which requires max/max on HP&Def to have it reduced to a 6.3% chance to OHKO)

But of course, Enamorus-T is the midgame wallbreaker, the win-con that has the power to decimate entire teams with Draining Kiss.

So what do you do to avoid getting your single most important Pokemon run over by a Shift Gear'd car? Don't burn your tera, Tera Water/Electric, and hit em with an Earth Power after taking 50% from Gunk Shot and getting poisoned, before being killed by most things in the metagame that hit harder than a Chansey.

Of course that's the optimistic version, but the long and short of it is that you gotta save your Tera to avoid being smacked six ways to Sunday by everything in the tier.

...But the issue with THAT is that now, in Generation 9 Scarlet and Violet RarelyUsed during the month of May, you're playing without Tera, which means no defensive plays, it means that you REALLY feel the pressure when making an offensive powerplay with Tera, since if you mess up, you're as good as dead since your wincon has suddenly lost it's greatest tool, and worse of all...
Your opponent still has THEIR Tera. And they know that they don't really have to try and scout yours. Even if you manage to make something work with a Tera not on Enamorus, once they deal with the issue that you bring up with your Tera, they can play as recklessly as they want, since you can't punish them with a Tera, you can't make any outta left field defensive plays, and they can still shmix you up and break your ankles with an unexpected Tera at any time.

So no matter what, by using or holding off on Tera, you're kinda losing no matter what, since if you burn it early, your wincon loses it's defensive profile, and if you hold off, you can get exploited by your opponent and you can't patch up your defensive holes in your team as easily as you can do with Tera normally.

THAT, all in all, is why I would vote Do Not Ban. It has it's strengths, it can be terrifying, but this thing barely makes any appearances, barely does anything in-match, and forces you to bend your back 360 degrees just to make it work.
Enam is kinda all bark and no bite, something that you can shake a fist and and drum up terror about regarding it's brokenness but the instant you try and get it to do anything you realize that it's kinda washed in a major way. It's pretty easy to convince people on why it's suspect-worthy, but go on ladder for any amount of time and you'll see exactly why it isn't (you'll find one after 25 or so matches). This thing is gonna have 4.2% usage come June I'm convinced

I think personally that this suspect test came too little too late, long after any period when it could have been problematic. Right now Enamorus-Therian is in a pretty balanced state, where pretty much every team has some way of taking it out, and while it definitely has it's strengths, it's weaknesses are too great to ignore. It definitely was an issue before, but that was then, and this is now.

Thank you for listening, and have a great day!
meloetta!

Quick edit after the post, but... just look at this. The ONLY 0% winrate in the top 25.
Like, can you really look at this and say this is y'all's goat?
RUPL Week 5 may have been a mild while ago (and by that I mean 5 days, these are as up to date as you can get), but the stats don't really lie, especially since these are like the top of the top.
Screenshot 2024-05-24 8.34.11 PM.png

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
RU Leader
1. Addressing the posts that say that Jirachi is an Enamorus switchin, it is not. Jirachis have a myriad of sets and sets that use Iron Head gets goobed by Earth Power. Enamorus literally has no proper switchin in the tier barring Rotom-Heat and even then you’re forced to run NP on it, because Enam can just CM up with tera and beat it 1v1. Speed is a non issue on Enam because it breaks the things it’s supposed to break; in fact you literally cannot run a full balance team without being weak to Enamorus.
2. Addressing the claims that people got reqs without using or seeing enam, ladder is HO heavy and you will start coming to conclusion that Stoise or Car are bigger issues, when they’re less strainful building wise compared to enam.
3. People need to realize terastallizing a broken mon is not an auto loss. If you see the RUPL game of me vs umbry, you can see that enam basically got a kill every time it switched in (ik I got outplayed but that’s besides the point). Teams even with two potential enam answers are susceptible to losing to enam, and if it was wish rachi Tera elec enam beat that anyways. You can claim you can encore enam but then your rachi either does not have wish protect, or you’re just running wish which isnt reliable.

Ban this mon, it makes the tier unhealthy both from a gameplay and teambuilding aspect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)