SM RU RU Trick Room Offense

Intro
Ever since Gen 5 I have loved playing around with trick room offense. Team started with Bronzong as the trick room-explode lead and Alola-Marowak as the main wall-breaker.

The Team
1543779905162.png

Bronzong @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
Bronzong is the designated lead against most comps. Typically, if the opponent leads with an offensive mon click Trick Room, if they lead with defense click rocks, then Trick Room. Gyro Ball is for coverage, but I rarely click more than Rocks->Trick Room->Explosion.
1543779963746.png

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
Cofagrigus is another great Trick Room setter and sweeper in the tier. With a lot of bulky waters in the tier, Cofag is my main answer to Blastoise. With Ghostium, very few tanks in the tier can take a +2 z-Shadow Ball. Will-O-Wisp can be exchanged for HP Fighting, but I've found burn helps others on the team sweep later.
1543779996594.png

Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Facade
- Toxic
Araquanid, in my opinion, is one of the most under-rated threats in the tier. With Water Bubble, I rarely click anything but Liquidation. Leech Life provides great coverage for grass types like Tsareena, and even lets Araq 1v1 special Mega-Abomasnow. Facade has a bit of a niche situation, but has come in handy a few times when parad or toxiced. Toxic gives another way to weaken Blastoise, Chesnaught, and Mantine.
1543780028807.png

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
Marowak-Alola with Thick Club gets up to 568, and has almost nothing in the tier that isn't 2 hit. For example, Offensive Mega-Blastoise goes down to Flare Blitz+Shadow Bone, defensive Gligar has a 34% change of going down to 2 Flare Blitz without prior damage, and the list goes on. Swords Dance allows Marowak to have a chance of 1 hitting practically everything in the tier besides a Burned Milotic.
1543780102242.png

Cresselia @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Went back and forth a few times on Cress or Mega-Audino. I'll link the Audino set I've tried, but in most scenarios I find Cress to be more effective. Similar to Bronzong, Cresselia mostly clicks two moves, Trick Room->Lunar Dance. Lunar Dance gives great momentum and gives a lot less maintenance on keeping mons healthy. If Marowak puts in work against a team, you don't have to micro-manage his HP nearly as much, knowing you can pass a Lunar Dance to him later in the game.

1543780136298.png

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic
Zygarde-10% and Flygon fill a similar niche for the team in late-game sweeping. Ultimately I've found their performance to be very similar, with the main factors being Zygarde hitting harder and hitting flying types like Mantine, Gligar, and Mandibuzz on switch-in with Thousand Arrows, not requiring Outrage, while Flygon gives utility in U-turn and hazard removal in Defog. Flygon does balance the team out a bit to handle a few more comps, but lets be honest Trick Room is a little niche in the meta and I've found Zygarde helps a bit more against comps that would otherwise hard wall the team.

Other Options
Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish
- Magic Coat
- Encore
Audino can be a lot of fun to play with, everyone in RU seems to underestimate the bulk and combined with Regenerator can give quite a few opportunities to Trick Room. No-attacks can obviously come back to bite you, but can work out as another option over Cress.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Defog
As stated previously, Flygon gives a bit more utility than Zygarde-10% but packs less punch and sweeping ability. Defog can be useful for the team, but in most cases the best hazard mitigation is through offense and not allowing them to get up in the first place.

Overview
I've had a lot of fun with this trick room team. I haven't played "competitively" for a few gens so haven't reached top 10 or anything, but have consistently climbed when I play. With most trick room teams, it has some trouble facing bulky offense comps and can struggle with switching in, but overall I feel the team is pretty decent. I've been looking for a spot to put Mega-Camerupt, but with Blastoise so common in the tier, I have a hard time justifying giving up any other mons for him.

Let the roast begin RMT!

Bronzong @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Cresselia @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)