Sakura-Con 2013: Let the power of youth explode

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Man, has it really been 2 years? are we really in year 3? You know, the older you get, the faster time moves by it seems. why it only seems like just yesterday the year 2013 had just begun and my heart was filled with new years resolutions and that sense of a fresh start, a new beginning. Now we are already well into march and before you know it December will roll around, and with it, the end of another year. I swear sometimes time moves by so fast that i'm afraid i'll close my eyes for a second and when i re-open them, i'll be 30, and the God honest truth is that when we are all 30 (or 10 years older), we'll take a moment to reflect back on a decade and tell ourselves, "wow, in the blink of an eye my 20's are already over". i can only hope that "what have i done with my life" wont follow that statement for anyone.

Alright smogon, i wont keep you guessing with an OP that starts off with the first half being just a tease and dropping clues as to what this might be about. i'll save you the guess work and just let you know now before going further in depth. This thread is about Sakura-Con. Yes, it is that time of the year again. some of you might remember the last 2 threads i made.

My favorite: Sakura-con 2012 - ADVENTURE TIME!!!
The beginning: Sakura-Con 2011 - GIRUGAMESH

and now that another year has gone by, its time for round 3, SAKURA-CON 2013: [title to be determined]. You know a lot is introduced in the span of a year, and even more is that what already exists goes up or down in popularity. I personally cannot wait to see what this year has in store. Also the creativity of people is just amazing to witness, but the big announcement is that I WILL FINALLY BE COSPLAYING FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. yes i am very excited and we will get more into detail about it a little further down.

This OP will be very different from that of last year (the original in hide tags of course). No matter how fast time may fly, the one thing that remains unchanged is that we all grow and change in many ways over the course of each year. I am a very different person from last year, and by that i mean a lot of the things that made up my nerdy side are quickly fading to the passages of time. Video games used to a defining feature of my life, my very identity. From my childhood days i have always loved video games with all of my heart, but today they are nothing more than a chore. I quit Pokemon after VGC worlds of last year. today both my xbox360 and wii are packed in their respective boxes and are locked away. in fact when you enter my room, apart from my awesome computer that i built from scratch, you will find no system in sight, no not even my handhelds. for the first time in my life i could care less about video games and do not even look forward to a single game coming out. yes that's right, for the first time ever. i mean, i am keeping an eye out for the next title in the Dragon age series, but even that, i am not really excited... just keeping an eye out for it. I think maybe deep down inside this is why i have been so taken to Sakura-con and anime conventions. I mean, i am losing so much of what made me a nerd in my eyes that this one giant representation of everything nerd and nerd culture has become something that i have unconsciously attached myself to in an effort to hold on to a side of me and a culture i am quickly growing apart from and losing interest in. Damnit, i miss my star Trek loving days. i also miss my WoW days. Even anime, i honestly believe that once Naruto ends, i will also be completely done with reading manga and following any anime. I mean, unless i finally get back into one piece and try to catch up, but the huge gap in episodes and just how much there is to catch up on is the primary reason i never got back into it in the first place. the interest just isn't there. Also Comics were the first to go awhile back. i wont lie, i don't even see myself on smogon in a years time, at least not active. Just maybe popping in every now and then. i mean, my interest in everything nerdy is what keeps me on the internet in general, and well, yeah, that's fading. I know all this can just be chucked under "growing up", but that's not the way i feel in my heart. its hard to explain. i mean, i am on my way to the age of 23, and although i realize that that also means that i still have a lot of growing up to do, i also know when i am simply growing out of something and this is not it.

Anyways, whatever the reasons why i fell in love with anime conventions so quickly, i will enjoy this love i have for them now whiles its still in my heart. after all, like i said, i feel like its the last thing that i feel like my old nerdy self and my nerd side truly coming out anymore. haha. after all, if you've ever had the pleasure of being to one of these things, you'll know just how much of a big nerd fest it is. alright lets get to the news of me finally deciding to cosplay after not doing it the first two times. i guess the 3rd time really is the charm. I'll keep this short and cut straight to the chase, whom shall Jesus have the pleasure of calling his first ever cosplay? This was a question i thought about for awhile and even asked around for help. at first i thought about shirtless characters to show off ma bod. after all, I've worked very hard to attain it, why not show it off? But in the end good senses kicked in and i decided that it would be better to cosplay a character i actually love. Someone close to my heart, someone i enjoy very much and it would be a pleasure to step into his shoes for a day or two. with that thought in mind i picked one of my favorite characters of all time. After all (man i need to stop saying that), i can always cosplay characters with no shirts later on in the future, you know, as my 2nd, 3rd, 4th.......... and my 100th cosplay ^_^. haha, God, i certainly hope this cosplay thing doesn't last that long.

My chosen Cosplay:
ROCK LEE!!!!!!

Ninahaza

A Relevant Cosplay

so there has been a new and exciting development. This thread really did not see any action when first posted, but i'm not really surprised as these threads usually take off after i've posted the hundreds of pictures and people have something to gush over, laugh about, compliment/comment on, critique, etc.

Alright lets move on to the new development and why i bumped this thing. so on top of the unrevealed cosplay i'm going to be doing hidden in the OP, there is a new cosplay that i had dismissed and saved for a later date because i did not think it would be possible to get it together in time for Sakura-Con, but now the impossible maybe have just become possible. and what is this cosplay you say?

Thats right, its none other than gym leader Marlon! A cosplay idea i quickly fell in love with the first time i saw him. ^_^
Those of you who have had the pleasure of playing through Pokemon black/white 2 and made it past the gym leaders stage will know this guy. he is the last gym leader you'll face in the game.

Really hope i can make this cosplay happen in time for the con

Ninahaza

nah. i just cosplay with my natural skin color. I'm sure i'll add some black/dark skinned characters as time moves on and i do this thing some more, if i do it some more that is.

For example

and of course, a dream cosplay if i ever had one.

Edit: And oh God this looks like it would take years to put together but it would be a cosplay straight out of my childhood and would simply be amazing, "breaths in"

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My entire world has shifted now that I realize Marlon is actually white.

this...

this explain so much.

Can't wait to see your cosplay Nina make sure you get more of these photos now!

Ninahaza

Ah yes, this years Sakura con finally has its title, and with it the thread as well. So the con just ended and it was quite the experience. I finally decided to cosplay this year as some of you may know, and it was a learning experience. I was a little worried going into it and here is why; I was a black guy about to cosplay as an Asian character. Leading up to the convention i was fine because despite not even being in the anime convention scene for that long, i could tell the atmosphere was a relaxed one as far as race and characters cosplayed goes. I was reassured that it was fine and that the majority of people even encourage it. i mean, after all, if we get into a details war, about 90% of cosplays are inaccurate due to so many characters being like 12 years old and either Asian or alien/not from this world, And don't even get me started on weight. Despite being told all of that, when the time finally came, i would be lying if i said i wasnt nervous and a bit sensitive when i took those few first steps outside in cosplay.

The Teaser:
One of the cosplay lessons learned this year was that when you decide to cosplay and not be one of the few people in normal clothing, you forfeit any plans of taking pictures. Instead it is you that will be in front of multiple cameras, that or i was just lucky to be a bit popular. Depending on exactly what you have on, taking pictures becomes a heavy and annoying task along with using the bathroom and getting a drink of water.... or any liquid.
Do not worry however, i may not have been able to get 300+ pictures like in the past, but a couple of friends took pictures as well and when we all combine what we have i'm sure i'll have more than enough to show for this year. In the mean time please enjoy these few pictures. I am not even fully unpacked yet and its almost 4 am (which doesnt mean anything really because the weekend completely destroyed what little of a sleep schedule i may have had). I'll update with all the pictures during the week.

Who could that possible be?
As far as back shots go, this has to be my favorite ever

Its me, Ninaha, err, Rock lee! and by my side is non other than Ejen Chuang from Cosplay in America.
And this is where our journey begins, with the coolest hero in that much green since the introduction of the green power ranger.

I do the first thing any self respecting ninja from the hidden leaf village would do, go for Kakashi's balls. And of course kakashi does the first thing every white person does in a fight involving a black man/woman, GO FOR THE FUCKING WIG/WEAVE

and then we just decide to be fucking badass just cause. also you know that the black girl in the black dress in the back is totally checking out that ninja ass in green spandex.

No but really, i love this guy and was glad to see him come back yet again this year. He has the best kakashi cosplay

ENOUGH ABOUT KAKASHI. Time for the power of youth to explode

the above was it for Rock lee this weekend. There were 3 of us and we had no Gai's this year. Our hearts were severely broken and many tears of youth were shed
Also can i just say that i love that we had 1 white Lee, one black lee and one Asian lee. haha. the white Rock Lee is super awesome by the way

so like, when i first saw these guys standing there posing like bosses, the first thought that came to mind was
"This cosplay group is legit as fuck. that Jiraiya is amazing."
followed by
"Man, are these guys even still alive? oh wait, no, I forgot orochimaru has a bunch of horcruxes stashed and Just keeps coming back"

my favorite mount

slender man, classy as fuck.

A thousand years of NIGHTMARES.
High five to the few that got that

this guy came back with a modified version of his cosplay from last year. still one of the best

Fuck benders, you dont need powers. these guys are like 10 batmans

old man with the power of youth still coursing through his blood

Smogon i took this picture just for you.

Dont say i never did anything for you
also that Elite 4 koga is amazing

Yeap

I'm looking at you, Alison.
I also feel like i should make a snorlax joke here but this thing was seriously super awesome (and about 8.5 feet tall)

I'M GONNA WRECK IT! oh wait

One of my Favorites from the weekend. check out the kickass 2 trailer, people. its been out for a while now.

Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop

i still need to try this game.

he had a walk. i need to start recording video

HAHAHAHAHAH, *wheeze*. It doesnt really get any better than this folks

Sometimes creativity goes a very long way.

Rock Lee vs the ninja world: They say naruto will be the one to save the ninja world, but we all know in the end i'll have to step in and do the job.

Dat Ass, the only Genjutsu i need.

4 tails Naruto and i would go on to have a weekend long battle. so much protexting i had to do

You thought i was joking about the need for a protextor, didnt you?

Some group shots: i promise i am getting most of the Rock Lee/Naruto photos out of the way now in the teaser. when i update next be prepared for an explosion of creativity instead of one of youth and ninjas (super awesome and creative ninjas mind you).

Can you spot me? i am the really really tanned Rock lee.

Man, can you just take a moment and appreciate that zabuza with all those swords coming out of his back.

The complete 9 tails and Shukaku, the one tail. i would love to someday see a group cosplay of all 9 tailed beasts, and if they really want to go balls to the wall, add the 10 tails.

So the 3 Rock Lee's of Sakura Con 2013 saw a cute Chun Li and decided to teach her how to perform the Sexy no jutsu technique

it was pretty much a fucking party at the naruto corner where characters from all fandoms came to party with us.

and i'll finish this Naruto fest of a teaser update with a picture of me that was posted on the official Cosplay in America facebook profile. Not bad for my first time ever cosplaying, eh?

Man i gotta tell you, wigs and i, its a relationship that will take time

ahh, great pictures!

whenever i look at albums of cosplay pics i always have the feeling that i'd be more appreciative of the costumes if their colors were less bright/garish -- might look more real. but maybe the omgPOPpiness of it all is a natural part of the cosplay atmosphere and makes it all more fun. anyway, the creativity is impressive regardless, and you definitely have a knack for all of lee's youthful poses.

Ninahaza

Most important question: Did Statler and Waldorf return?
You know what? I did not see them but this year I didn't have as much time to walk around as I did previous years. I spent a lot of time with the naruto group being silly and getting into shenanigans with the akatsuki

Also thanks pernicious

Ninahaza

so when are you going to be cyborg

i demand an answer
haha, OH MAN. Feathers if i could have had a cyborg cosplay ready to go for last weekend i would have chosen it over Rock Lee. Actually thats probably a lie because i just love Rock Lee so much. What i am trying to say is that the problem is just how intimidating putting together such a complicated, multi-piece, LED lights infused cosplay as cyborgs is. i would cosplay him in a heartbeat and waste no time if i had the cosplay. i dont think anyone will see me as cyborg for a long time because, like, i dont even have the motiovation to put such a thing together. The task is just too big and i am not skilled enough (YET) to take it on. why dont you come down here and we can work on it TOGETHER, maybe even work on a beast boy as well. Hell maybe i'll make the 3 hour drive up there

I am still waiting on one more friend to post his pictures so i can update with all the other non naruto awesome stuff. In the mean time here is one of my favorite pictures from the weekend

You cant really tell from this shot or any non close up shot, but this guy had Killer Bee down. he had the facial hair and, well, hair down. he even had the many swords and posses down as well.

Edit: Vadra~
bro, you cant keep that sage stuff up forever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)