SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

On the topic of Pokemon like Deerling and its evolution though, I kinda wonder if there's gonna be any notable "buffs" to certain 'lower tier' Pokemon.

It doesn't have to be Drizzle Pelipper level, but stuff like Poliwrath getting access to actual Fighting STAB in the Isle of Armor DLC for instance.

(Drain Punch Hariyama and CC Medicham PLEASE)

I mean, Groudon got Drought despite not being a Fire type.

I guess it’s GF’s way of giving the guys a Fire STAB without making them Fire types.
That is true, but there are noticeable differences in terms of concept (which in my opinion, is what determines what you can or can not expect):

Ruby and Sapphire were a reimagination of Red and Blue. Not only are their legendaries red and blue (even more predominant than Kuraidon and Miraidon), the actual plot revolves around weather, they are part of the so-called weather trio in a game where the evil team is called Magma and Aqua, and Groudon is the opposing part of Kyogre, the monster who created the oceans. Being groudon the direct oppose of water, a part of a weather trio, the most predominant red legendary and having to do with volcanoes to the point that it literally lives submerged in magma, the fact that it had Drought semeed natural. Futhermore, Ground is a very close type to Fire in terms of association, the same happens with water and ice, most of the mons that pertain to one of those types could be the other way around without much problem. Primal Groudon even becomes a fire type.

I'm not saying that I've an actual problem with Kuraidon having Drought, it's just that, even tho i can link ideas to understand from where this comes from, a Dragon/Fighting mon in a game based on time with seemingly no relation, or at least not one as strong as Groudon's with fire, having Drought, feels a bit strange. Nothing more.

Volo is implied to be from further back in the past than in-game Hisui. He eventually wears vaguely Ancient Greek-like garb and reports that he convinced Giratina to tear open a space-time rift for him (presumably forward in time).
I see volo as younger than that, but the point remains that Electrode was a noble since the ancient ancient times, the times of the Celestica people

there is a theory that people see some of Volo's vague comments about people & pokemon that the celestica people might've had pokeballs themselves but there's always a point where people start theorizing a wee bit too hard.

Ruby and Sapphire were a reimagination of Red and Blue.
The problem with claiming this is the fact that Red and Blue aren't opposing games in Japan - it's Red and Green, with Blue as the third version to fix glitches (and the Gen 1 remakes in the same gen as RS remind us of this.)

Game Freak is aware of the West's change - Let's Go changed the color of your rival's house's roof based on your language - but claiming it as a direct intention is a bit off.

Orichalcum Pulse
- orichalcum is a likely fictional reddish metal (the name means "mountain copper") that is associated with the stories of Atlantis. I saw earlier in the thread someone mention that its associated with advanced civilizations - that's a modern invention inspired by fiction and pseudo-archaeology. In the original tale Atlantis is not one of an advanced civilization (in fact they are defeated by virtuous Bronze Age Athenians) but rather a decadent civilization that had lost all virtue. As far as I remember, their are no magical properties associated with it (again, modern invention).
Protosynthesis
- in keeping with the former, this isn't a real thing that I'm aware of. Obviously brings to mind photosynthesis, the process which plants turn light energy into chemical energy, but doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. Breaking the word up"Proto" means "first," or "earliest," or "primitive;" while synthesis means to "combine," usually to create something new. So one might think of the word as "first combination" or "primitive creation."
Halogen Engine
- halogens are nonmetal elements (florine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, astatine, & tennessine) that react with metal elements, producing salts. Halogen means "salt producer." Highly reactive, most people are familar with their use in halogen bulbs.
Quark Drive
- quarks are one of the fundamental particles that make up Protons and Neutrons alongside gluons which - you guessed it - glue the different quarks together. They are the only fundamental particles that interact with all of the fundamental forces and come in six types: up, down, top, bottom, charm, and strange.

So What Does All This Mean?
Probably nothing. By looking at the names I had hoped that we might derive some further insight into what the concept is behind them and what they do. However, its my conclusion that the names were selected merely for the feelings they evoke. The connections here are just too loose to really draw anything significant from them. As for them closely resembling Drought and Electric Terrain, I agree that there is something more here that we're not seeing. But Khu's lament about the lack of Past Paradox Fire-types seems to suggest they are very similar. On the opposite side of the coin, it makes little sense that Dark/Flying Iron Jugulis would have an ability that solely interacts with a terrain it can't interact with by default - which suggests there are bigger differences at play.
So in conclusion... :mehowth:

On the topic of Pokemon like Deerling and its evolution though, I kinda wonder if there's gonna be any notable "buffs" to certain 'lower tier' Pokemon.

It doesn't have to be Drizzle Pelipper level, but stuff like Poliwrath getting access to actual Fighting STAB in the Isle of Armor DLC for instance.

(Drain Punch Hariyama and CC Medicham PLEASE)
More physical moves boosted by Serene Grace for Deerling/Sawsbuck pleaseee

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Interesting Reddit speculation that pretty much sums up what many have thought regarding the nature of the Paradoxes.

Haven't read back up in the thread so sorry if this has been discussed already.View attachment 463698
Yeah, this makes perfect sense. These mons are just the childish dreams of some entity which is totally not going to be the third legendary, imagine that guys

Bisharp
Halogen Engine
- halogens are nonmetal elements (florine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, astatine, & tennessine) that react with metal elements, producing salts. Halogen means "salt producer." Highly reactive, most people are familar with their use in halogen bulbs.
Quark Drive
- quarks are one of the fundamental particles that make up Protons and Neutrons alongside gluons which - you guessed it - glue the different quarks together. They are the only fundamental particles that interact with all of the fundamental forces and come in six types: up, down, top, bottom, charm, and strange.

So What Does All This Mean?
Probably nothing. By looking at the names I had hoped that we might derive some further insight into what the concept is behind them and what they do. However, its my conclusion that the names were selected merely for the feelings they evoke. The connections here are just too loose to really draw anything significant from them. As for them closely resembling Drought and Electric Terrain, I agree that there is something more here that we're not seeing. But Khu's lament about the lack of Past Paradox Fire-types seems to suggest they are very similar. On the opposite side of the coin, it makes little sense that Dark/Flying Iron Jugulis would have an ability that solely interacts with a terrain it can't interact with by default - which suggests there are bigger differences at play.
The name of the ability is Hadron Engine. Hadrons are composed of quarks. This is why proofreading is vital, lol.

Orichalcum Pulse
- orichalcum is a likely fictional reddish metal (the name means "mountain copper") that is associated with the stories of Atlantis. I saw earlier in the thread someone mention that its associated with advanced civilizations - that's a modern invention inspired by fiction and pseudo-archaeology. In the original tale Atlantis is not one of an advanced civilization (in fact they are defeated by virtuous Bronze Age Athenians) but rather a decadent civilization that had lost all virtue. As far as I remember, their are no magical properties associated with it (again, modern invention).
Protosynthesis
- in keeping with the former, this isn't a real thing that I'm aware of. Obviously brings to mind photosynthesis, the process which plants turn light energy into chemical energy, but doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. Breaking the word up"Proto" means "first," or "earliest," or "primitive;" while synthesis means to "combine," usually to create something new. So one might think of the word as "first combination" or "primitive creation."

You nailed the breakdown of Protosynthesis. I think Orialchum was chosen specifically because of its tie-ins with mythology and the fact that it as a word just sounds ancient and metal as fuck.

So we have two separate...phenomena(?) poorly understood by humanity – prehistoric myth/ancient civilizations and particle physics – as the forces underlying separate groups of mons who apparently never existed and should never exist. I think it's notable that these are both things about which humanity has continuously been wrong and our understanding of increases as time passes. (And indeed, this usage of "pulse" suggests something magical or at the very least primal is going on – kind of like what humans used to think about science.)

I also want to point out that Khu's bit about "gritty realism" when he first hinted at the identity of the paradoxes seems tied to their book entries (e.g. Jurassic Donphan killing an explorer.) The term he used was "urban legends" which seems to hold weight: the Violet and Scarlet Books present them as cryptids steeped in dinosaurian and cyborg tropes of the past and future respectively. It's why the names are so weird.

The Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot or Jersey Devil wouldn't actually have those names if they did actually exist and could actually be studied. Those are just the names that have been assigned to them in the popular imagination until/if we ever know their exact nature. Likewise Roaring Moon and Iron Treads are just the names the colonizers assigned to them.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There is, it's early SwSh meta, which I believe is regarded as one of the worst metas ever.

Problem being, while the perception of a "legendary" vs "non legendary" is what it is, in practice it's still the same: everyone uses the same top cut pokemon.

Pre-Natdex VGC is same, sure you see very few legendaries, but in concept it's still the same, but instead of Lando-T and Urshifu in every team, you have Arcanine and Togekiss in every team. In fact early SwSh VGC was a terrible offender of this, and there was basically no legendary allowed (other than uuuh the sword of justice I guess).

Like, I understand the perception issue, but when it comes to putting it in practice, "legendary-less" meta is exactly the same as a normal meta, just with different names.
That's valid, but it's not what I was talking about. That's just centralization, which can happens pretty much regardless of which Pokémon make up the metagame.

But for lore reasons, I'd rather see a metagame centralized around ordinary Pokémon than around legendaries and super forms. For a tournament of trainers gathered for Pokémon battles, it somehow feels more right that "every trainer went down to the seaside to catch one of the coral eaters, everyone bred birds from the forest, most of them went to the deep jungles to get one of the gorilla Pokémon", etc., instead of "every trainer stepped through a wormhole arising from the once-in-a-lifetime cataclysm and caught an eldritch abomination from dimensions beyond human understanding, every trainer befriended the ancient sacred guardian deity that only shows itself once every thousand years and brought it to battle as if it were a pet dog (then did that same thing for three other ancient sacred guardian deities of various flavours), most of them tamed one of the creators of the universe like it was nothing, literally all of them express the ultra-rare ability to create a deep bond with their Pokémon and are in the possession of a priceless heirloom that can summon the powers of Mega Evolution", and so on.

Legendaries are meant to be special, but if they are thrown around like candy, they kind of lose that flavour. "There's only one Groudon ... except if you go to that tournament, where 21 out of 24 players brought one. Want to join the tournament? Just get the literal manifestation of time and space and a few other gods like it on your team, then you may have a fighting chance."

Mechanics-wise, it's not that much of a problem. But it really goes against the feel of the games. It's not so much "a kid and the friendly creatures they picked up along an adventure", it's "a kid and a bunch of once-in-a-lifetime miracles that happened in quick succession, and it also did to everyone else".

Nah, just give me the good ol' regular 'mons you find in nature, please, instead of this incessant deity spam.

I wonder how long the giant swirling fog has "actually" been around the region. The Scarlet/Violet books appear to be quite old, but considering the apparent context of the rest of the Paradoxes, I wonder how "old" it all truly is.
Right. I guess this is tied to the rumor of each professor being MIA in the opposite version. The sketches and black-and white photography of the Donphans clearly means that no one has been in there (or at least returned) with modern technology. It is interesting that the Violet book is also ancient meaning that the "future" Paradoxes have been kicking it in Paldea's present for quite some time.

The problem with claiming this is the fact that Red and Blue aren't opposing games in Japan - it's Red and Green, with Blue as the third version to fix glitches (and the Gen 1 remakes in the same gen as RS remind us of this.)
I would risk my life in saying that everyone who is registered here has been aware of this fact for, at least, the last 15 years. Saying this should be the same as telling someone if they know Pokémon are pocket monsters. Thank you for the information, altho i'd have just take a look at my rack where I've the original japanese green, red, blue and yellow, which, btw, don't worry, I'm also aware they are different form the ones that released later in the US. No need to take Bulbapedia further.

Ho-oh red / Lugia blue
Palkia red / Dialga Blue
Yvetal red / Xerneas blue
Zamazenta red / Zacyan blue
Lugia is predominantly White, not blue. Compare this:

1668028098275.png

With this

1668028114494.png

Yveltal and Xerneas, alongside X and Y, are a direct tribute to Red and Blue themselves, that's the reason why Zygarde is also green and the reason why the 3 legendaries share predominant colours with the weather trio from Hoenn, and Zamazenta and Zacian are the same Pokémon with minor differences in their held item form.

Every single generation of Pokémon has been divided in cold and warm colours, usually bluish and red/pink, but not in each one those colors have been similarly predominant. Diamond and Pearl aren't as Blue and Red as the originals Blue and Red, for example (pearl is pink btw). Sun and Moon is more of an Orange Purple combo.

In fact, the color red isn't even in Pokémon Pearl box art, and Diamond has a very strong mixture of blue with black. The only editions in the history of the franchise that share the same strong blue and red as an almost monocrome box art and legendaries are Ruby and Sapphire. There's a clear difference, we shouldn't even be discussing this when it's demostrable by just watching it.

In fact, the color red isn't even in Pokémon Pearl box art, and Diamond has a very strong mixture of blue with black. The only editions in the history of the franchise that share the same strong blue and red as an almost monocrome box art and legendaries are Ruby and Sapphire. There's a clear difference, we shouldn't even be discussing this when it's demostrable by just watching it.
You went the long route of explaining all of this instead of just saying "Pokemon Black and White" and case closed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)