ORAS OU Sceptile Offense

Hey guys, Biskit back here, this time with a mega Sceptile HO team. Was at around 1550 when the ladder got reset for the suspect test, but that doesn't really matter. So lets get right into it.

TEAM OVERVIEW
---------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILS

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
The star of the team, mega-sceptile is a fairly underrated mon. It does lack some power, but its moveset can cover. Leaf Storm is for the water types, and is a pretty strong move coming from base 145 SpA. Dragon pulse is secondary STAB and for when u don't want to lose SpA. HP Fire is to kill scizor and ferrothorn, both of which like to set up on sceptile otherwise. Earthquake has a good chance to kill tran after rocks +1 attack. 216 speed is to outspeed raikou and starmie pre-mega, with the remaining 40 in atk to kill tran.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
Pretty self-explanatory AV azu set. Makes it a good switch into keldeo (excluding scald burns) and starmie, and allows it to live a hit from Mega-manectric and raikou. EV's are to balance out bulk, with the obligatory 252 Adamant to be able to net kills.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
Heatran completes the F/W/G core of the team as well as being a reliable rocker. Is my primary switch into many threats like talonflame. Taunt is to annoy ferrothorn and other slower set-up sweepers, while toxic is to wear down walls, especially SpD hippo and deal with T-flame which is otherwise a big threat. EV's are just smogon's standard set for SpD tran.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
Nasty Plot thundurus is a good wincon for the team as it can usually sweep fairly easily once one or two defensive mons are weakened. The biggest threat to thundurus is mons that outspeed it, as well as SpD hippo which can otherwise wall it. Nasty Plot is to break walls and sweep. T-bolt/ HP ice are standard, and Focus Blast is for: Heatran, Ferrothorn, Excadrill, etc.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Zen Headbutt
Although scarf hoopa is becoming more common, it still has a pretty good surprise factor. Hyperspace Fury is the strongest STAB it gets, and can 2HKO many non resists, and is altogether a great move to have. Drain Punch is there for lopunny, which can otherwise wreak havoc on this team. Gunk Shot is to OHKO Clefable, and Zen Headbutt is the final STAB move, and can beat Fighting types that may resist Hyperspace Fury.

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Swords Dance
Scizor makes a good revenge cleaner and clean-up sweeper. SD scizor is able to set-up on a lot, without too much fear. Although its mega form is far superior, Iron Plate can allow it to bluff being banded (kinda). SD is to sweep, running dual STAB, and Roost is for a bit more longevity, as it usually doesn't need the extra coverage. Looking for a better ev spread if you have suggestions, but for now its adamant max attack with the rest in Speed.

TEAM IMPORT:
http://pastebin.com/xEpwQ5fM

Last edited by a moderator:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
OH MY GOSH MY OCD http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/ LOL

But the team looks Solid, the team looks a tad bit weak some walls so maybe use Magma Storm > Lava Plume or to give you a better TFlame match up you could use Ancient Power > Toxic
Scizor doesn't seem to fit the team really well IMO. Try Jirachi > Scizor this can provide some support to the team as it can para things, still deal fairies and also provides momentum the team needs. You also have Healing Wish to recover a team mate which is nice. All in all this is a cool team. GL in the future.

Tell me what you think about using this Sceptile set instead...

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Pros of Changing:
-You can increase the longevity through Giga Drain

-Your special attack doesn't drop every time you want to use grass stab (is there even a Pokemon that is OHKO'ed by Leaf Storm and not Giga Drain? I don't know if there is)

-You can use substitute (defense for common Sceptile threats, namely: Brave Bird and U-turn)

-You don't nerf your speed stat, which will allows you to outspeed any scarfed Pokemon with base stat of 78-80. There are 34 of them. click here if you want to see them all. I am not going to name all of them. Most noteable are Scarf Chandelure, Scarf Hoopa-U and +1 speed Mega Altaria. You will also Speed tie with Mega-Beedrill, which as of now, you don't

-Killing Heatran and Ferrothron with Focus Blast wouldn't be that much different than killing with EQ or Hidden Power Fire.

vs
with

40- Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 276-328 (83.6 - 99.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 28 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 272-320 (82.4 - 96.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

vs

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 220-260 (62.5 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 216-256 (61.3 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Cons of Changing:
-Focus miss is less accurate

-Scizor is harder to kill

I would say it is worth the change, what do you think?

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man this is a pretty cool team not gonna lie. I like how Sceptile patches up weaknesses by checking a number of offensive threats to your team, particularly fast and frail threats like Lopunny, fast Electrics, and Water types.

First thing I'm noticing is that Bisharp is kind of a problem to your team especially later in a game as your mons get weakened.
A simple change that can catch Bish off guard is to run Jolly Scizor with Superpower > Roost. You already have a great Lati switch in with Heatran and Scizor can't really counter stuff like Metagross unless it is Mega, so you may as well outspeed Adamant Bish and run Superpower to OHKO it before it can Knock you off.

Between having Azumarill, NP Thundurus, and running Superpower Scizor, you can probably afford to run something else over Earthquake on Sceptile, I'd recommend a consistent Grass STAB so you aren't always forced to go for Leaf Storm against Water and Ground types, either Giga Drain or Energy Ball. I personally like Energy Ball to always OHKO Keldeo at full and Manaphy after a round of Rocks and not risk getting hit by an Ice Beam or Secret Sword. You are also less likely to lose to stuff like Crocune and CroBro with Energy Ball + Leaf Storm. Along with that naturally you can run Timid over Naive.

I would run Psychic > Zen Headbutt on your Hoopa to hit Landorus-T and Garchomp much harder while still obliterating Fighting types and Venusaur, even with a negative SAtk nature.

Besides that, I would also try to expand your descriptions a bit, perhaps focus on justifying your decisions a bit more to make your team easier to rate. Some of your Pokemon have only two or three lines of commentary which is probably enough to keep you from getting locked but its still quite bare bones imo.

Hope I helped!

GrenadeParade - The point of eq is to beat spdef tran which only takes 50-60% from fb provided it hits. The only ou viable scarf mon that u listed was hoopa-u, and sceptile loses to mega-alt anyways.

Lord Wallace - Thanks for the scizor suggestions I'll try it out. I've been experimenting with giga drain vs leaf storm. Leaf storm guarantees the OHKO on mega-mane, medicham (off the top of my head) after rocks, but I do like the reliability so idk. I went ahead and changed zen to psychic ty for that.

Hi man that's a cool team you got there.

I see that your team is weak to the likes of Water-types(having Azumarill as your only water resist kinda blows since there is a great possibility of getting burned by scald). Fast electric-types can be annoying too(M-Manectric, AV Raikou, and NP Thundurus come to mind), and I see that you're well prepared for Fairy-types with two resists on your team.

>
This would be my first change. I'm a huge fan of role compression, and I think SpD Jirachi fits pretty well on your team. You retain SR support and a Fairy-type check too, this will allow you to check certain threats to your team by freeing up a slot for a pokemon to do so. Heatran gets bopped by Focus Blast, and Scizor can't switch into an HP Fire, so I think this will help your team a lot. Also provides the team with Wish support!

The extra slot vacant on your team can be filled by Latios. The removal of Heatran makes you weak to Charizard-Y. Gives you a nice check to Charizard-Y, Keldeo, Manaphy, and fast Electric types. You also get hazard control by making this change, which will help out the team if you're faced against a hazard stacking team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic/Fire Punch
- Wish
- Protect

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)