SS OU screens HO

Colin

formerly BeardedDrakon
is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
Before all, note that I am not a high level player, and as such remember that my team may not be good. This is especially true as I favor BO, but wanted to try to build a HO, and this is my first one I don't think is terrible.

This team uses :ninetales-alola: to set screens for my offensive :volcarona:, :moltres-galar:, and meteor beam :celesteela:, so that each one can either break a hole in the opposing team or clean up after each other. :eject button: :landorus-therian: is used to set rocks and provide a free pivot so that I can position my threats without a sack. For speed control I opted for a :choice scarf: :tapu fini: for defensive role compression, although I opted not to use defog in spite of the fact I didn't have it, as I preferred the breaking power of nature's madness.

Another side note is that the main resource I used to build this team was SPL, so anything that looks creative is, but its not my creativity. Pokepaste in link below:

:ss/ninetales-alola: :light clay:
Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hail
- Freeze Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Encore

This pokemon is solely here to set screens, but it is also an okay sponge to bulky waters and sometimes Zapdos and non-vest Tornadus-T, provided that I don't need to do it for a long time. I chose the move hail to help against rain, and I chose encore as it is more consistent in either outright giving me a setup opportunity or a favorable risk/reward 50-50 as opposed to hypnosis. This is almost always my lead, unless there is something such as a scarf-Kart or T-tar that could shut it down completely. in those situations Landorus-T is generally my lead.

:ss/volcarona: :heavy-duty boots:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

This Pokemon is my first screen abuser; although when I use it it gets sniped, it still remains my team's most effective cleaner. It can't break through SpDef Heatran, but most other walls such as birds and Landorus-T are vulnerable to being bowled over after chip and repeated hits. it comes in on Koko after eject button, Ferro, other blobs if misty terrain is up, and on double switches. I chose not to use bug buzz as hitting bulky waters with giga drain and hitting Heatran, Pex, and Dragonite with psychic are far more important that hitting Garchomp and Slowking harder.

:ss/moltres-galar: :heavy-duty boots:
Moltres-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fiery Wrath
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

I chose taunt in favor of agility because I wanted a wallbreaker which could setup against stall and was confident about my ability to clean. defensively, this pokemon provides a ghost resist, which my team would otherwise lack. provided that it can bypass fairies and sometimes melmetal via screens and good hurricane luck, it pressures other special walls that could stop my other abusers.

:ss/celesteela: :power herb:
Celesteela @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower

I use only 216 speed EVs as that is all that is necessary to outspeed Zeraora after a boost. I chose this pokemon so that I had a bulky steel that could abuse screens. sometimes it can wallbreak, but this isn't reliable because it thuds against toxapex, which I have to chip significantly or give a choice scarf. it is also a capable cleaner, as the most common revenge killing tactics don't work due to celesteela's huge bulk from behind screens. it works together with volcarona to overwhelm heatran, especially its offensive variants.

:ss/landorus-therian: :eject button:
Landorus-Therian @ Eject Button
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 23 Spe (note that it is not in the pokepaste but this is my preferred spread)
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Eject button Landorus-T was a nice tech that I saw in SPL, and is used to position threats w/o having to sack a pokemon. other than the item choice, this is your garden variety Landorus-T, which handles electric threats and sometimes ground threats. Knock Off felt more applicable to this type of team than toxic, and 23 speed IVs are to underspeed opposing Landorus-T. Stealth rock is great help to create progress against regenerator cores in particular.

:ss/tapu fini: :choice scarf:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Nature's Madness

We now know that the Lando-water-steel-bird core is truly ubiquitous. Jokes aside, this provides roll compression between speed control, dragon check, ghost scout, balloon tran check, and more. 216 speed and a Timid nature allows Fini to outspeed Dragonite after a d-dance, while bulk investment is used to better check the many threats it is tasked with. Nature's Madness is used over both taunt and defog because hazard control is rarely important for my team, and being able to shut down mons such as Toxapex (unreliable to trick due to black sludge) and G-Slowking so that Volcarona and Celesteela can bypass them was too good to pass up over taunt.

Team Weaknesses:

Notable threats to my team include T-tar, Zapdos (both), sometimes CM clef, sometimes Melmetal, and rain. My team will lose if it is unable to get my threats in position, or if I have no way to break through or pivot around opposing walls.

Hello !
The idea of your team is really good, taking advantage of the screens.
At first sight, I think Bisharp could be better on Moltres-Galar : He's a great threat in HO teams with he's great ability in Defiant. It will prevent your opponent from doing free defog too just clean your screens. It's also a physical wallbreaker that can easily 2HKO Corviknight after a Sword Dance, besides threatening Heatran that seems to be free on most of you pokemon. Finally, Sucker Punch can easily OHKO Dragapult and lots of other mon after a boost. Here's the set I like :
Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Tapu-Fini set is weird, but seems to work so nothing to say with that :)

I have never seen this Lando set before and seems to give lot of momentum to your team so why not :) However, I would advise you to run 252 EVs def instead of 252 EVs SpD to better check Zeraora that really threatens your team.

I think the team could be really successful ! Have fun with it !

Personally, I see nothing wrong with Moltres-Galar here-- although I would have it with Agility, not Taunt, for several reasons. I think the main issue is speed control, the team has little of it which makes it quite frail and usual threat suspects such as Heatran Demolish this team; it walls all 3 sweepers (which is a huge teambuilding hole) and threatens pretty much everything else due to your limited switches. With these flaws in mind, I would suggest starting over with the team as I don't think it is easily salvageable here.

I can't summarize everything without being very comprehensive myself, so I'll let this do the talking for me. Here is an additional resource.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with Moltres-Galar here-- although I would have it with Agility, not Taunt, for several reasons. I think the main issue is speed control, the team has little of it which makes it quite frail and usual threat suspects such as Heatran Demolish this team; it walls all 3 sweepers (which is a huge teambuilding hole) and threatens pretty much everything else due to your limited switches. With these flaws in mind, I would suggest starting over with the team as I don't think it is easily salvageable here.

I can't summarize everything without being very comprehensive myself, so I'll let this do the talking for me. Here is an additional resource.
Tbh I think bisharp is better for this team simply because he has no physical attackers outside of his spdef lando, so having it could be quite useful, though he could replace one of his other mons if he wanted to as well.

Tbh I think bisharp is better for this team simply because he has no physical attackers outside of his spdef lando, so having it could be quite useful, though he could replace one of his other mons if he wanted to as well.
Understandable, but regardless the team's outstanding flaws are not fixed by Bisharp. In either case I think it's down to rebuilding the team from the desired core here.

Colin

formerly BeardedDrakon
is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
After doing reading and learning, I learned HO is not yeeting 6 mons into a pokemon to overwhelm it, but yeeting only a few and abusing their response. I do agree my team is bad.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Actually, this team isn't that bad. I'm usually not a fan of using choice mons on hyper offense but Fini is probably the only one I don't complain too much about since it can use trick to ditch its scarf. Aside from that, here are my suggestions for the team

:landorus-therian: --> :mew: most of the time, you are gonna want a mon whose sole purpose is to lay down hazards. Atm, I think Mew is the best for the job since it is nearly impossible to kill Mew in one shot. This would allow it to safely get up rocks and even spikes. Lando isn't a good suicide lead rn because it loses to Urshifu and Weavile, two mons that many teams would lead off with

:volcarona: --> :bisharp: this mon is solely to abuse the hazards and make it difficult for the enemy to defog. I would normally suggest using Galarian Zapdos for this role as it is safer however, because of screens, Bisharp becomes the better pick because it abuses screens a lot. Atm, Volcarona is kinda redundant because you already have Galarian Moltres, a mon which abuses screens far harder than Volcarona does

:celesteela: --> :garchomp: continuing with the trend of abusing screens, Garchomp is another mon that really abuses it. Screens would allow Garchomp to beat mons it otherwise could not such as Buzzwall. More importantly, Garchomp would provide you with another wall breaker that can potentially sweep entire teams on its own

Here are the sets for them

Mew @ Red Card / Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Garchomp @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Roseli Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Here are also some other minor changes for the team

On :ninetales-alola:, use only 248 HP evs. If you are using a pokemon that is weak to stealth rock, always make sure that its hp is an odd number. This would allow you to have an extra stealth rock switchin because the damage would round down. For example, take a Volcarona that has 250 hp. If you allow its hp to remain 250, one stealth rock switchin would deal 125 and the second one would deal another 125 and kill it. However, if it has only 249, switching into stealth rock would only deal 124 as it rounds down. 2x124=248 which means you can switch into rocks one more time and live on literally one hp. I think this would vary from mon to mon but the bottomline is, always make sure your rock weak pokemon have an odd hp. Putting 252 HP evs on Ninetales gives it 350 hp, an even number, so reduce that to 248 so that it will only have 349

Lastly, on :moltres-galar:, use :weakness policy: as its item instead of :heavy-duty boots: and replace taunt with agility. You do not want taunt as that takes away the whole point of using Galarian Moltres in the first place which is being a threatening ho sweeper. For the item, wp is the best for it as this will allow you to prioritze getting an agility up instead of nasty plot. The screens will reduce whatever damage would be dealt to you and activate the policy, possibly even berserk. I would also suggest an ev spread of 64 HP / 4 Def / 252+ SpA / 188 Spe. The speed evs is to outspeed scarf Latios after an agility while the 64 hp is to give it an odd number of hp. 4 Def is just the leftovers. You can also just move the def evs to spe so you can outrun Regieleki since that mon also runs enough speed to outrun scarf Latios

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)