Seeking advice on coming out / not coming out to friends and family

For some background: I've always had wavering feelings for both sexes. Throughout elementary I liked girls and developed crushes just as any other normal male. My "urges" for the same sex came to fruition in middle school; it wasn't until the 6th or 7th grade that I realized I had an attraction for males. And of course, it was in the lockeroom. -.- I didn't say anything because I was sure my Dad would kill me. In fact, he told me at a young age "If you turn out to be a (BAN ME PLEASE), I will kill you" (no lie). I never let this whole confusion bother me until high school. I always thought about it, but I would always tell myself that there was some other reason behind it. Maybe it was because I wanted to be like them (physically anyway) or looking for a father-figure (weird, I know) because my Dad was definately not the best.

Throughout high school I contemplated my feelings and hid this from everyone, even my closest friends. All I wanted was to be "normal". I didn't want to like guys and I didn't want to be gay. From my friends, I heard of the things that others thougth about me. I hung out (and still do) with a lot of girls, but I knew a lot of girls even in elementary school. When I got to high school, it became harder for me to make males friends, mainly because I didn't share their interests. I did like video games and such, but I wasn't a fan of football, basketball(watching anyway) or baseball- some kind of many sport. They wanted to talk about girls and sport, while I wanted to talk about video games and laugh at jokes.

Now, I've been thinking about coming out. Each day I feel like I'm getting closer, but when you have a family consisting of heavily devout Christians, gay haters, and people who can't let shit go, it's just kind of hard. On top of that, I worry about the people outside of my family- what about gay bashing and other hate crimes? After all, I'm not a very big guy. I don't feel like I act feminine or anything, but people still seem to question my sexuality. My Mom even asked me if I like girls. It kind of hurts to know that people wonder and I have to deny it out of fear. I've been told by some family member (my Aunt...typos at 2am ugh) that they would love me regardless, but to be questioned makes it that much worse- like they're just waiting for conformation.

I have the same urges, but it seems like I feel a stronger attraction towards males, though I still like a hot female. I just don't pop a boner like some of you horndogs (ex: hot girls thread).

I could probably add more, but it's almost 2am. I know there are some gay people on this site and I'm looking for their advice and everyone else's.

Edit: I'm glad I recieved a reply, but it's so late that I forgot to put anything to discuss xD.

-If you were me, what would you do?
-How would you feel about this?
-What would you expect from my relatives, especially from a Mother who cringes at the site of any male to male intimicy.
-Just a few for tonight.

In fact, he told me at a young age "If you turn out to be a (BAN ME PLEASE), I will kill you" (no lie).

Wow, that's pretty extreme.

I hung out (and still do) with a lot of girls, but I knew a lot of girls even in elementary school. When I got to high school, it became harder for me to make males friends, mainly because I didn't share their interests. I did like video games and such, but I wasn't a fan of football, basketball(watching anyway) or baseball- some kind of many sport. They wanted to talk about girls and sport, while I wanted to talk about video games and laugh at jokes.

This is basically what I have been going through, though I have about the same amount of friends sex-wise. The whole not being able to make many guy friends because of the lack of interest in sports hit the nail right on the head for me. I usually get along with girls better because, generally, they have always been more understanding to what I like in life, such as music, etc.

Each day I feel like I'm getting closer, but when you have a family consisting of heavily devout Christians, gay haters, and people who can't let shit go, it's just kind of hard.

Personally, I'd just leave; if you can, that is. A family is supposed to be a support base, and if they don't fill that role now, then what use are they?

On top of that, I worry about the people outside of my family- what about gay bashing and other hate crimes?

Don't let that get to you. I am big into music and marching band and I got flak for it until I got a away, got a job and found people that don't get bothered by what I choose to do with my life. Sure, you would get the occasional asshat breathing down your neck, but it is much worth it if you feel you are hiding yourself away.

You just need to build a support base and find some friends that will be your friend no matter what. Friends that hold friendships against you will just end up doing something to spite you eventually. Talk to any friends that might have a problem with you being bi/gay, and if they cannot understand then get rid of them.

After all, I'm not a very big guy.

There are a lot of normal to rather strong gay people that I'm sure would help you out if you were in trouble. I don't know any specific names, but I'm sure there's bi/gay support groups out there somewhere.

I don't feel like I act feminine or anything, but people still seem to question my sexuality. My Mom even asked me if I like girls. It kind of hurts to know that people wonder and I have to deny it out of fear.

Then don't deny it.

I've been told by some family member that they would love me regardless, but to be question makes it that much worse- like they're just waiting for conformation.

Use that family member as your new support base.

It basically comes down to: let yourself free and get ready for any backlash or hide yourself and be prepared to possibly face mid-life crisis/emotional problems.

Who are you and where do you live?! xD I thank you so much for this. It's making me think about this whole situation. I just need to get rid of the nerves and just do it. =/ That's the hard part!

Any advice is welcome guys/girls. I appreciate every bit of it, honestly.

Wow, and I thought I was in trouble.

If your friends are truly your friends, they will accept you for being bi/gay. To be brutally honest, quite a few of them won't bat an eyelash. I had a fairly close friend who came out as gay in his senior year of high school, and I was more concerned about my C in physics than his sexuality, to say the least.

I'm more concerned about your family, but unfortunately I don't have any expertise in the matter, so support groups may be of more use to you than me.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If the title isn't accurate tell me and I'll change it. We gotta get away from this "NEED HELP" ambiguity.

Coming out to your family looks a little tough as some of them batshit insane. I know my mom (and especially grandma) is super-against a bunch of stuff from inter-racial dating to I assume homosexual dating as well. And I know in that case I'd have a tough time telling them! However, if you've been making the right type of friends, they shouldn't care at all. I'd come out to them before your family if I were in your shoes. I personally wouldn't tell the family until I was no longer living with them =/ Friends, do it as soon as you feel ready to.

A lot of the times, people make gay jokes and use the word (BAN ME PLEASE) in front of everyone because they don't really know anyone gay. Once someone finds out someone they know is gay, it really causes them to think. "Ryan's a cool a guy, but he just told me he's gay. We've been good friends for years, but I've always been taught it's wrong." Assuming we're focusing on your friends right now, most people in our generation are really accepting. I just told a friend of mine a week or so ago that I went to a gay bar. She didn't know I was gay (she later told me she suspected), and the first words out of her mouth were "how hot were the guys there?" So yeah, what I'm getting at is that coming out will only be this huge, awkward, and tragic thing only if you want it to be. If people see how calm and collected you are about it, you'll get a response in that same way instead of "OMFG GO AWAY YOU HOMO." Trust me it works.

Now...Do you have any friends you know to be gay friendly? Those are the first you want to come out to first to help build a support network to later move on to your family. I find that females tend to be more accepting of gay people, and look lucky for you you have a good amount of female friends! (:

I'm in the same boat with the same sex friends thing. Most of my convos with guy friends are just like "Hey! What's up? Yeah I'm majoring in Music. The weathers nice huh? Ok catch ya next month." I feel the need to keep my guard up with guys just because they always seem to be doing the same, I just feel the friendships aren't as real as they could be. With females it's different though. The relationship is much more emotional and real. At least that's how it is for me...

As for coming out to your parents...Honestly it seems like your mom might already know and is hinting at you that she'd be ok with it, unless she asked you that question in a way which she wanted you to say yes. Your dad on the other hand, sounds like a capital D douche. Like Electrode said it seems a little extreme, and I hate to say it but it doesn't seem like he's gonna be fine with it anytime soon, if he will be at all. Your aunt seems also like a nice choice to come out to. But in your case I probably wouldn't come out to any family members until you're financially independent from them, because then you don't have to give a fuck what they think.

If you feel you don't want to talk face to face (and believe me, sometimes it can be very scary and awkward) you can always e-mail, talk on the phone, or write a letter. DON'T TEXT MESSAGE. It makes it very impersonal.

My .02

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For some background: I've always had wavering feelings for both sexes. Throughout elementary I liked girls and developed crushes just as any other normal male. My "urges" for the same sex came to fruition in middle school; it wasn't until the 6th or 7th grade that I realized I had an attraction for males. And of course, it was in the lockeroom. -.- I didn't say anything because I was sure my Dad would kill me. In fact, he told me at a young age "If you turn out to be a (BAN ME PLEASE), I will kill you" (no lie). I never let this whole confusion bother me until high school. I always thought about it, but I would always tell myself that there was some other reason behind it. Maybe it was because I wanted to be like them (physically anyway) or looking for a father-figure (weird, I know) because my Dad was definately not the best.
Distrust of their own father is a common element in many of the stories I've heard of people who fear coming out. Some of it is distrust but some of it stems from real past physical or sexual abuse. If this happened as soon as you are able to do so in safety you should alert the authorities. You do not want "coming out" to be a weapon to use against your own father, something he deserves for being so horrible (in your mind). You've expressed attraction for women as well. You'll have to figure it out on your own, but at the very least do not either a) lash out or b) come unprepared if you fear actual violence. If you are in physical danger then the steps you need to take are completely different than were it otherwise.

Throughout high school I contemplated my feelings and hid this from everyone, even my closest friends. All I wanted was to be "normal". I didn't want to like guys and I didn't want to be gay. From my friends, I heard of the things that others thougth about me. I hung out (and still do) with a lot of girls, but I knew a lot of girls even in elementary school. When I got to high school, it became harder for me to make males friends, mainly because I didn't share their interests. I did like video games and such, but I wasn't a fan of football, basketball(watching anyway) or baseball- some kind of many sport. They wanted to talk about girls and sport, while I wanted to talk about video games and laugh at jokes.
That may just be a problem in friend selection. Your paragraph appears to be in the past tense so you may not be able to do much now, but you should find a group of friends who share your interests. A huge portion of video gamers are male, I find it unlikely there are none in your area. You need to find people you are comfortable with before you make a final decision. In fact you should find friends who can support you in this as well. You need a backup in case your family really is beyond reason and will not accept your honesty.

Now, I've been thinking about coming out. Each day I feel like I'm getting closer, but when you have a family consisting of heavily devout Christians, gay haters, and people who can't let shit go, it's just kind of hard.
While it is possible your family is as you say (and not just your father, which you seem to have the biggest issues with), I would not let the idea that they hate you because you are/might be gay color your relationships with them. You are going to live a very lonely life if you shut them out. I don't know your family or their quirks, the internet medium prohibits me from giving better advice, but you should never forsake the people who will be there for you when the times are toughest.

On top of that, I worry about the people outside of my family- what about gay bashing and other hate crimes? After all, I'm not a very big guy. I don't feel like I act feminine or anything, but people still seem to question my sexuality. My Mom even asked me if I like girls. It kind of hurts to know that people wonder and I have to deny it out of fear. I've been told by some family member (my Aunt...typos at 2am ugh) that they would love me regardless, but to be questioned makes it that much worse- like they're just waiting for conformation.
I don't subscribe to the idea that there are "hate" crimes. Violent people will be violent and will find a pretext for it. They will act on the assumption you are gay even if you never say a word or have spoken to them. That's terrible, but if it weren't "gotta knock the (BAN ME PLEASE) out of him!" It'd be "he looked at me the wrong way!" In either case they should be arrested and locked up like every criminal. Never let fear of others control you. If you are comfortable with who you are people are going to love or hate you for it anyway. They may just be worried about you or they may be overly nosy. In either case you aren't obligated to answer.

I have the same urges, but it seems like I feel a stronger attraction towards males, though I still like a hot female. I just don't pop a boner like some of you horndogs (ex: hot girls thread).
Yeah, this is fairly insulting. You would not appreciate it if we said you "popped a boner like a horndog" because you saw pictures of Orlando Bloom or Kiera Knightly [the manliest character in PotC]. I understand you're confused and worried and it may be a defense mechanism, but you do not want to blindly assume the rest of us lack a restraint you possess. This is a difficult emotional time for you, do your best to try and calm down and assess your situation rationally. This is clearly important to you, and you seem to care for your family otherwise you would have left long ago.

-If you were me, what would you do?
-How would you feel about this?
-What would you expect from my relatives, especially from a Mother who cringes at the site of any male to male intimicy.
-Just a few for tonight.
Your situation is definitely difficult. You should do your level best and try to explain your feelings to your family (perhaps not your dad at first) with the same honesty you displayed here. I know it's infinitely harder to do it in front of your family instead of random strangers on the internet, but you should not, in your struggle to be yourself, destroy every tie around you. I have read too many nightmare stories of people who came out in a panic and then bolted for the door only to end up with the wrong crowd.

Gonna comment on a couple things others have said and then give my own experience with this and then reply to you directly, Flamewheeler, since I think the best advice I'm going to be able to give here is anecdotal.

If your friends are truly your friends, they will accept you for being bi/gay. To be brutally honest, quite a few of them won't bat an eyelash. I had a fairly close friend who came out as gay in his senior year of high school, and I was more concerned about my C in physics than his sexuality, to say the least.
I think mtr is right here. I mean, you've gotta be the judge of your own friends - I imagine it'd pretty easy to figure out how well they'll react. It's always a little easier to explain the whole sexuality thing to people who already like you; the difference between "[Flamewheeler], who happens to be gay/bi" and "[Flamewheeler], that gay guy" tends to make a world of difference winning people over.

For me, I came out to my friends near the end of my senior year of high school, so I was recently 18, I think? I was stressed about it, especially since my best friend of 10 years came from a family that wasn't too open to this sort of thing(more on them later) and I was worried that he might be much the same. I wasn't as worried about most of my other friends - the girls were all into theatre and we gays are sort of irreplaceable in that field, and I wasn't as close with my other guy friends. Even though I thought the risk/reward was pretty good, it took me a while to man up and do it since I didn't think there was much benefit to going for it. They'd never have guessed on their own - I'm not much what one would say is "flamboyant," and I had a girlfriend(stop judging me ok I'm sorry) for the first couple years of high school(eventually the cheerleader captain thinger, I might add...), so I had built myself a nice little nest. I tended to be pretty cowardly about this sort of thing when I was younger.

Anyway, I kinda subtly dropped hints for a while to ease them into it, but when I came out with it, it really wasn't a big thing. No one really batted an eyelash about it... we joked about it for a bit, which means it was a little too much on people's minds, but it was never an issue for any of them. Much ado about nothing for me, though it was nice to know I could actually trust/believe in the people I thought I could believe in on some level. I felt a little better afterward since it's nice not to have to worry about them "finding out" or whatever, though I've never really minded much when it's been convenient for me to hide it. I think I would advise doing it if you think you can deal with potential consequences, though if you don't want to tell your family the risk of it getting back to them is worth considering, too. It's nice to at least tell someone. While it's tough to deal with when it happens, I would definitely agree with the tough truth that if people aren't going to stand by you in spite of what in most cases is a trait of yours that is completely irrelevant to them that you probably don't want to be friends with them anyway.

It's strange... if it could, the adult me would go back and not hide in high school at all and I think I'm charismatic enough now where it just wouldn't have been a big thing. I could deal with it well enough now that I'd be fine - but I couldn't have then. My best friends' little sister ended up... being outed, I guess, a little bit ago and I know things haven't been so smooth for her. The teasing(that's probably not the most precise word but let's just go with that...) bugs her in a way it wouldn't bug me, and while I kind of just have to advise her to at least appear comfortable and proud and unaffected, which I think does do a pretty good job of getting people to curb the behavior, she'd obviously be better off if they hadn't found out. I always feel for her - it was easier for me in so many ways, both because I had control of the information and could protect myself, and because it was very convenient that I was always into guys that were older than me so I never really had a thing for any classmates.

It's funny for me, too - having grown up in competitive Pokemon on some level(I think I started frequenting the community that was to be become Smogon in 2002, so 8 years ago now), coming out to my e-friends was kind of a big thing too. As I'm sure you can attest to, I'd say there's even more of the "omg (x) is so gay(especially when x is a defensive Pokemon...)" and general homophobia here than even in the cesspool that is American high schools, so I was a little leery about fessing up when LS/CFickle figured it out(it amuses me that he's still the only one, IRL or internet, who's ever figured it out without me making it obvious for them), but I ended up coming out to the Smogonites before I did to anyone IRL and it was good for me, I think. I think it sometimes causes me to be too much of a gimmick user, but my e-friends stuck by me, too. It's weird now in the role I have here, too, in that while I don't tend to be too easily offended by the general homophobia(perhaps the elitism Smogon has instilled in me allows me to look down on it) I tend to be really fucking jumpy about it on the forums because I know there's probably more of you than we realize working through this sort of thing and you don't need to be exposed to that shit. Funny how my role is shifting... it's funny, too, that the only people who ever have a "problem" with it are some of the more immature younger guys. I think you'll find as you get older this becomes less of an issue in real life, too - adults in our generation are pretty accepting about this sort of thing.

A lot of the times, people make gay jokes and use the word (BAN ME PLEASE) in front of everyone because they don't really know anyone gay. Once someone finds out someone they know is gay, it really causes them to think. "Ryan's a cool a guy, but he just told me he's gay. We've been good friends for years, but I've always been taught it's wrong." Assuming we're focusing on your friends right now, most people in our generation are really accepting. I just told a friend of mine a week or so ago that I went to a gay bar. She didn't know I was gay (she later told me she suspected), and the first words out of her mouth were "how hot were the guys there?" So yeah, what I'm getting at is that coming out will only be this huge, awkward, and tragic thing only if you want it to be. If people see how calm and collected you are about it, you'll get a response in that same way instead of "OMFG GO AWAY YOU HOMO." Trust me it works.
Now that I've been all theatrical everything Thund said here is basically 100% right. I think this is the main difference for me with how things have been in HS vs. how things have been in college/work. It's not a big deal and if you don't make it to be one usually other people won't either. Plus, well, being gay should not be your one defining characteristic anyway.

It's sort of tangential, but that concept basically of "people are just homophobes/insensitive to gays because they don't know any" is something I kind of desperately place hope in, lol. I think nowdays it's kind of important to me to be some sort of gay ambassador. I'm pretty sure I do a terrible job of this, but I find in general we're pretty good people - the general public will figure it out sooner or later.

And of course, it was in the lockeroom. -.- I didn't say anything because I was sure my Dad would kill me. In fact, he told me at a young age "If you turn out to be a (BAN ME PLEASE), I will kill you" (no lie).

Maybe it was because I wanted to be like them (physically anyway) or looking for a father-figure (weird, I know) because my Dad was definately not the best.

Now, I've been thinking about coming out. Each day I feel like I'm getting closer, but when you have a family consisting of heavily devout Christians, gay haters, and people who can't let shit go, it's just kind of hard. On top of that, I worry about the people outside of my family- what about gay bashing and other hate crimes? After all, I'm not a very big guy. I don't feel like I act feminine or anything, but people still seem to question my sexuality. My Mom even asked me if I like girls. It kind of hurts to know that people wonder and I have to deny it out of fear. I've been told by some family member (my Aunt...typos at 2am ugh) that they would love me regardless, but to be questioned makes it that much worse- like they're just waiting for conformation.
The family thing iss another area where I feel like I got off easier than I should have.

I knew I wanted to wait until I was out of high school to talk to my parents about it. I've never been that close to them or to anyone else in my family, so this was never all that huge for me - I just didn't care that much what they thought. I had planned to do what Thund suggested(and what I would suggest for you) as far as waiting until I was out on my own and had financial independence so any repercussions of telling them would be pretty irrelevant, but life kinda sent me down a different path.

I pretty much blew off HS(I mostly blame WoW for this, but honestly I think I've been proven right about how much of a waste of time it was) so I couldn't get into a lot of awesome schoosl, so I just did the basics at a really solid local CC we have for my first couple years until I could scoot off to somewhere better. I lived at home while I did this since it was cheaper(free, specifically), which delayed my master plan a bit. What really changed things for me was that I had a gay professor that I eventually ended up becoming friends with. I really looked up to him at the time. He was maybe the only fellow gay I had met in real life and really respected... it kind of changed how I thought about the whole sexuality thing, I guess. Anyway, getting to know him got me feeling more comfortable about myself, and I ended up coming out to my parents earlier than planned in what I think is the most awkward conversation I've ever had. They... sort of tried to be supportive, I guess. My parents are really Christian-conservative too so there were some.. communication barriers, I guess, but in general they stuck by me. It was really obvious from the way they talked then that they didn't really "get it", and it's been a couple years since then now and we still haven't really talked about it since(I think they're happier ignoring it), but they didn't throw me out or anything and they at least try to back me. I haven't told the rest of the family just because there's no real point - I see them like twice a year, they'd be happier not knowing in general, my parents haven't said anything about it but would clearly be happier not having to "deal with that," and I don't really care what they think - but if you have a closer relationship with some of your family members it's obviously a very different game for you.

It sounds like your Aunt(and probably your Mom) would both be pretty ok with things, though I'm not sure I would make any move until you're out on your own if you can stand it - things really are so much safer that way. If nothing else, I would just tell your Aunt for your mother's sake - I think it'd be rough on a marriage for one parent to be hiding that type of thing from the other, and telling your dad right now could be a little dangerous. But you've gotta do what's right by you - tell who you feel comfortable telling, or no one if that's what you feel more comfortable doing. I think whenever you do want to tell your dad I would try to have some other people with you - perhaps your aunt and your mother, if you've told both of them by that point.

As an anecdote that's a little less happy, but something I feel I should disclose as a reminder that it isn't always a good idea to go rushing into these things: that friend's sister I mentioned wasn't so lucky at home, either. Her mom basically played the "I don't want you to go to Hell!!" card(I think I got that one too, actually) when she found out from one of the daughter's girlfriends' parents(who sent her kid to a psychiatrist among some other fairly crazy shit) and start balling and was basically inconsolable until the daughter lied and said it was all one great big misunderstanding and she was actually straight. She still hasn't told her dad. I think her case is pretty rare - it takes a lot for a parent to turn on a kid - but I think I'd try not to do be too foolhardy with the family. Friends tend to be a lot safer to start with... tell the people you think it will be the safest to talk to to start with and work from there, and only do it when you're ready - rushing things just to rush them isn't so wise. Just remind yourself it's not really that big of a deal, it's a trait like any other, and when you're comfortable tell who you feel most comfortable telling.

And one last thing - you know, I don't think there's probably anyone who'd have just been like "oh, gay, yeah, that'd be fucking BUCKETS of fun. I'd LOVE to do that!" out of the blue, but as I've gotten older I think I've kind of understood the whole gay pride thing. Like I'm not the type of guy who'll ever be flying a rainbow flag(could we seriously not pick something better than a fucking rainbow jesus christ), but I think being gay has kind of changed my view of the world in a positive way. As a white male living in the states I definitely empathize with minorities and women with some of their class-related plights better than I would have if I didn't have to deal with any myself, and I think it makes me understand people in general better on some level. It's certainly made me tougher mentally dealing with shit occasionally, which I value even if it isn't always easy. It's not all bad, either - it's nice to have that in group, and while I might not have when I was younger, I like who I am, you know? I'm sure you will, too. Even if I could, I wouldn't change a thing.

Before reading, please note that I live in Jordan, and I attend an Islamic all-boy school.

Man, I've been going through the same thing as you for the past 2 years. It all started by a comment a classmate made about my friends' ass. Since then, I cannot stop looking at him, nor can I take my eyes off his ass. I frequently bashed my head against the wall, trying to get rid of these feelings I have for a him. But on a recent trip to America, I met a girl, developed a serious relationship with her, and ended up making love with her. I returned here without feeling a single sexual feeling for him, but the past month, I found myself staring at his ass. I did all I could to look away, but that only made it worse.

Anyway, I discussed this with my cousin, and he said that it's just natural since schools in Jordan have a prison environment. No girls, you're forced to do something you hate (studying), and everyone is in their mid-teens, developing sexual urges for women, but have nothing but boys around them.

Hate crimes? That is just the stupidest thing I have ever heard. and just like Deck Knight said, " Violent people will be violent and will find a pretext for it.". In my opinion, everyone should accept everyone else the way they are. Whether they're Muslims, Jews, gays, bi-sexuals, whatever.

Get away from your family as fast as you can. They have to be supportive of everything you do, and should listen to your opinion no matter what. Your mom hates gays, your dad hates gays, your whole family hates gays (except for your aunt), and I think they hate bi-sexuals even more. Get good grades and apply for a university far away from them. Stay with your friends more often.

And what Electrode said is right:
It basically comes down to: let yourself free and get ready for any backlash or hide yourself and be prepared to possibly face mid-life crisis/emotional problems.
Edit- I forgot my advice: Why not join a karate club or an MMA club? You can meet new friends, get to unleash your feelings with every kick you kick, every punch you punch, and your feelings seem to become more... I don't what to say, but it's like they're more... I don't know, just try it and see. Make sure that you're 100% willing to hit and be hit.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well there is nothing wrong with comming out. Personally I think thats what i would do but yeah, If your dad does not like it then thats his problem but I imagine that (by and large) they should be fine. Authough I have to add that I knew somebody that addmitted to their girlfriend that he was bi and she left him (if you know who it is then shut up) so I have heard of stupid things like that. Ultimatly however, being open is prob the best thing that you can do. People who don't like are really not people you should be hanging around it anyway. If you lie to yourself to "fit in" then you just end up being miserable.

Have a Nice Day!

From what you've said about your father and your family in general, I'd stay way clear from that situation for some time now. Even if your father doesn't kill you, it still seems like it'd be better off for you leaving them in the dark until you're independant. I was in the situation you're in, but I chose to come out to my friends for a start. That doesn't mean I announced it, I did tell my closest friends, but if anyone asked me at school or whilst out with friends I'd openly admit to it. However, there is no way my parents are finding out from me until I'm independant (and from a purely selfish point of view, until I've squeezed as much money out of them for university fees as I can do). I know they won't be comfortable about it, perhaps even if they don't get angry, it'll still just be so awkward that I've decided to wait until I don't need them. I'm hardly desperate to bring a guy home to them anyway, so I can't see much of a point there.

A word of advice: if you tell one person, be prepared for everyone in that group to know. Even your best friend might let something slip, even unitentionally, and if you do decide to come out there's no telling who'll find out. That isn't to say tell everyone all at once, or even to say don't come out; by all means do, it's just a warning that gossip tends to leak out whether you like it or not.

Coming out can be the most liberating thing you'll ever do. It doesn't have to change who you are at all, don't think you need to conform to a stereotype other people might put on you, but just knowing that you don't need to be shy about something that's perfectly natural is a great feeling. Your friends should stand by you through it. Not everyone will appreciate it, you might get some stick for it, but I whole-heartedly think that if it's what you want to do then you should do it.

Wow, and I thought I was in trouble.

I'm more concerned about your family, but unfortunately I don't have any expertise in the matter, so support groups may be of more use to you than me.
The first paragraph was quie unny tbh. I have friends that have talked about knowing other gay people and they said they were ok with it, but coming out to anyone is a pretty big step for me. Support groups make me feel labeled, and that's something I never wanted or want to be. I may seek some out, but I just have a large fear of being judged. =/ My God, I have issues. Dx

If the title isn't accurate tell me and I'll change it. We gotta get away from this "NEED HELP" ambiguity.

I'd come out to them before your family if I were in your shoes. I personally wouldn't tell the family until I was no longer living with them =/ Friends, do it as soon as you feel ready to.
The title is fine, I figured I should add some more, but I couldn't put it in words. Thank you.

I figured I would come out to friends first because they seem much more accepting. That, and I don't have to live with them. With most of them being girls, I'm sure I'll have someone to console with.

A lot of the times, people make gay jokes and use the word (BAN ME PLEASE) in front of everyone because they don't really know anyone gay. Once someone finds out someone they know is gay, it really causes them to think. "Ryan's a cool a guy, but he just told me he's gay. We've been good friends for years, but I've always been taught it's wrong."
Honestly, the jokes don't bother me, unless they are directed at me, of course. I actually use the words, "gay" and "homo" pretty often. =/ I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I find the whole using the gay word awareness commercials commical. You're absolutely right about your word choices and thought processes changing around a "fresh out of the closet" individual. I had a girl friend come out to me senior year...I would've never guessed tbqh, but after that...when I found myself wanting to say the word "gay" or "homo", it felt awkward and rude. =/

Now...Do you have any friends you know to be gay friendly? Those are the first you want to come out to first to help build a support network to later move on to your family. I find that females tend to be more accepting of gay people, and look lucky for you you have a good amount of female friends! (:
I do, but there is always that doubt which I seem to have a lot of. ~.~ One of my "best friends" seems like she wouldn't be ok with it sometimes, but other times she does. It's just finding the right person/people I guess.

As for coming out to your parents...Honestly it seems like your mom might already know and is hinting at you that she'd be ok with it, unless she asked you that question in a way which she wanted you to say yes. Your dad on the other hand, sounds like a capital D douche.
Yeah, and that scares me sometimes- just to know that people know and to think that I was "hiding" it well. Actually, she sounded relieved when i said no, so I know that she has/had her suspicions. And my Dad, you don't know half of it...

If you feel you don't want to talk face to face (and believe me, sometimes it can be very scary and awkward) you can always e-mail, talk on the phone, or write a letter. DON'T TEXT MESSAGE. It makes it very impersonal.
Actually, since I started college, I've felt empowered I guess. Maybe because there is so many gay individuals/couples. I remember riding in the car with my Mom and the words were on the tip of my tongue. I was ready to tell her with the nerves and all because the
situation/conversation/time felt right. Sometimes I feel ready, while others I just feel like a panzee. =/

Thank you everyone! I will continue in a bit. There is a lot to read and reply to.

EDIT:
Distrust of their own father is a common element in many of the stories I've heard of people who fear coming out. Some of it is distrust but some of it stems from real past physical or sexual abuse. If this happened as soon as you are able to do so in safety you should alert the authorities. You do not want "coming out" to be a weapon to use against your own father, something he deserves for being so horrible (in your mind). You've expressed attraction for women as well. You'll have to figure it out on your own, but at the very least do not either a) lash out or b) come unprepared if you fear actual violence. If you are in physical danger then the steps you need to take are completely different than were it otherwise.
It's funny you say that because he talked about being abused by his Stepfather. I never seen it as a weapon, ever, but maybe if that was a weapon of protection...

That may just be a problem in friend selection. Your paragraph appears to be in the past tense so you may not be able to do much now, but you should find a group of friends who share your interests. A huge portion of video gamers are male, I find it unlikely there are none in your area. You need to find people you are comfortable with before you make a final decision. In fact you should find friends who can support you in this as well. You need a backup in case your family really is beyond reason and will not accept your honesty.
Well, I have great friends, really I just never wanted to come out to anyone. I'm a pretty shy guy and having rumors spread about me was not something I wanted. I heard about the things people said about me anyway, but to confirm what everyone was already saying would just please them and kill me. At that school, no one wanted to be gay! What I should have said was, "They liked sports, etc. and I like pokemon or [insert nerdy game here]. For one, I didn't have money to spend on things like halo and such, so I played them at my best friend's house [a guy =O], but after I moved further north, that could no longer happen. =/ So they talked about destroying shit while I talked about being the very best (not literally, but you get it, I'm sure).

While it is possible your family is as you say (and not just your father, which you seem to have the biggest issues with), I would not let the idea that they hate you because you are/might be gay color your relationships with them. You are going to live a very lonely life if you shut them out. I don't know your family or their quirks, the internet medium prohibits me from giving better advice, but you should never forsake the people who will be there for you when the times are toughest.
I never once thought about shutting them out, so I thank you for that. In fact, I'm very close with my mom and to lose that relationship would devastate me. She may not like it, but I think she will accept it in her own way.

I don't subscribe to the idea that there are "hate" crimes. Violent people will be violent and will find a pretext for it. They will act on the assumption you are gay even if you never say a word or have spoken to them. That's terrible, but if it weren't "gotta knock the (BAN ME PLEASE) out of him!" It'd be "he looked at me the wrong way!" In either case they should be arrested and locked up like every criminal. Never let fear of others control you. If you are comfortable with who you are people are going to love or hate you for it anyway. They may just be worried about you or they may be overly nosy. In either case you aren't obligated to answer.
I agree, but these things do happen, and that's something that scares me. I seem to attract annoying bullies- I guess it's my size. =/ I'm just glad the people in college are more mature. Don't get me wrong, I had a great high school career- I wasn't bullied every day, week, or month, but there was incidences.

Yeah, this is fairly insulting. You would not appreciate it if we said you "popped a boner like a horndog" because you saw pictures of Orlando Bloom or Kiera Knightly [the manliest character in PotC]. I understand you're confused and worried and it may be a defense mechanism, but you do not want to blindly assume the rest of us lack a restraint you possess. This is a difficult emotional time for you, do your best to try and calm down and assess your situation rationally. This is clearly important to you, and you seem to care for your family otherwise you would have left long ago.
I sincerely apologize. That was never meant to insult anyone one. Actually, I meant to put one of these (=P) behind it, but I wasn't thinking straight at 2am. I'm not one to assume and I apologize again. I don;t like to insult people, ever. Unless, of course, they piss me off. =D

Your situation is definitely difficult. You should do your level best and try to explain your feelings to your family (perhaps not your dad at first) with the same honesty you displayed here. I know it's infinitely harder to do it in front of your family instead of random strangers on the internet, but you should not, in your struggle to be yourself, destroy every tie around you. I have read too many nightmare stories of people who came out in a panic and then bolted for the door only to end up with the wrong crowd.
Thank you, again. I try to be my own person, but in a world full of sterotypes and people who strictly adhear to them, it becomes a little more difficult.

And I do have a pretty good judge of character and a pretty rational thought process. I'm a planner and I would never subject myself to being with "the wrong crowd". I enjoy my life and living, so that would just drag me down and I strive for great things. (Cheesy xD)

As an anecdote that's a little less happy, but something I feel I should disclose as a reminder that it isn't always a good idea to go rushing into these things: that friend's sister I mentioned wasn't so lucky at home, either. Her mom basically played the "I don't want you to go to Hell!!" card(I think I got that one too, actually) when she found out from one of the daughter's girlfriends' parents(who sent her kid to a psychiatrist among some other fairly crazy shit) and start balling and was basically inconsolable until the daughter lied and said it was all one great big misunderstanding and she was actually straight. She still hasn't told her dad. I think her case is pretty rare - it takes a lot for a parent to turn on a kid - but I think I'd try not to do be too foolhardy with the family. Friends tend to be a lot safer to start with... tell the people you think it will be the safest to talk to to start with and work from there, and only do it when you're ready - rushing things just to rush them isn't so wise. Just remind yourself it's not really that big of a deal, it's a trait like any other, and when you're comfortable tell who you feel most comfortable telling.
Loving Synre's post, but I want to emphasize on this. From your OP I'm getting the idea that you think you're gay, but still having doubts and have at least a slight attraction or more to females. What are you going to come out as? Gay, Bi, Curious??? It's much better to find yourself and comfortably know who you are before coming out. Don't make the same mistake I did my first few times. It's really sucky for our bi pals if we come out as bi first only to find out we're gay later on and make everyone believe the stereotypes about bisexuals. Just a thought...Don't rush it, you're still young. I'm not saying don't come out I'm just saying make sure you at least you know where you stand.

Synre and mtr have the right idea, I think.

In general, college kids tend to be much more open-minded (indeed, a huge number of people 'go gay' when they get into college and become independent of their parents). A friend of mine has been gay (or mildly bisexual) since Year 6 (i.e. age 11 or 12) and he came out last year, and noone batted an eyelid. In fact, he arranged a dinner with a bunch of his friends and said he had an announcement to make and most people guessed what it would be. He's not camp or flamboyant, it was just that when he said he had a big announcement, everyone thought "Oh he's probably just gay or something."

In addition, I'd like to say that in my experience, lots of people who throw around words like 'gay', '(BAN ME PLEASE)', 'queer' etc. as insults, especially online, don't actually harbour any hatred towards homosexuality. A few of them are homophobic, but for the most part people aren't really thinking "This person is homosexual, therefore he is a bad person". They're usually thinking something along the lines of "This guy is spawn-camping which is unsportsmanlike. I will call him a generic insult... what a (BAN ME PLEASE)!".

There's some implicit homophobic sentiment in the history of the words, but I think that generally those kind of insults are thrown around because they're "traditional" and quick/easy to type. I have gay friends who use (BAN ME PLEASE) as an insult when playing games sometimes.

In summary; just because your friends use these words as insults, it does not necessarily mean they'll be freaked out by you coming out. They might, they might not.

I'll return to the others because I have forgotten a lot of it xD.

@ Thund: I was honestly unsure about that. I seem to be much more attracted to males than females, and I feel like saying I'm bi would just make life a little easier. I still like girls, but just not in the same way as guys. I can get more emotionally attached to girls, but I feel like I could do the same with a guy even though I haven't had that experience. I don't want to fuck some dude just to do it. I want to try a relationship like I would with a woman. The only problem is doing so. I'm on of those people who believe being gay is something you are born with, not some feeling you get when you're not feeling right, drunk, etc. It's not something people choose to be, but more of what you are or meant to be. I've had attractions towards males since I was young, but never had any thoughts of following through with them. For one, it wasn't "normal" and it was "wrong" in the eyes of others. After all, I was young and considered naive, so it could just be some random thoughts because I was young, or whatever others want to call it. This thread was more or less a help thread. I want to come out, but I need help with how to and I still need to discover who/what I really am, as cliched as that sounds...

I guess tl;dr I'm about 99.9% sure that I'm gay/bi sexual, but I'm leaning towards gay. I just need to figure that out and a plan of action for letting everyone else know. Believe me, I spent time trying to deny it and think of a logical explation, but feelings can't be put into words. I am what I am and I just need to let everyone else know what I am. =/

@ MrIndigo: I don't really recieve insults from my friends and they really don;t talk badly about them. It's the people that don't know me who like to talk. And for people to talk about me before they even know is just meh.

@ Adm.Empoleon: From the beginning of your post, it felt like you were flamming me (no pun intended). I agree with your cousin, it probably was just contributing factors from your enviroment. It's surprising to know how much hetero males talk about other hetero males.

@ ginganinja:
If you lie to yourself to "fit in" then you just end up being miserable.
I actually felt this way many times before, but fitting in for me was something I strived for in a way. Although, I made friends fairly easily. Sometimes I did feel depressed because I didn't want to be different; I wanted to have all the new styles of clothing, the good looks, and whatever else. Now, I really don;t feel that way. I know I am who I am and no one can change that, so I just "do me". On the level of sexual preference, acknowledging that is a little more difficult.

@ Priori: I actually thought about the rumors, but my friends really aren't gossipers, but they do seem to attract it xD. I know the ones that i can trust and the ones who I just talk to. Also, I'm sorry if I was unclear about it, but I don;t actually live with my Dad. He and my Mom divorced many years ago, but my bro and myself stayed with him through elementary school and up to 7th grade. I kind of ran away along with my brother to live with my Mom. That environment was not one that I wanted to live in. It just took me a while to build that courage and to realize I didn't want/need to be there. If anything, he would be the last person I would ever tell. I don't like telling him very much anyway. After leaving on my own accord, the conversations seem awkward, to me anyway.

@ Synre: I'd like to start off saying that I love your writing. I'm pretty bad with puncuation and all that bs...good thing I'm not an English major! =D

I appreciate that you took the time to write some much and I agree with most, if not all of it. I think I know how my friends will react...those I plan to tell anyway, but you can just never be 100% sure. I also never dropped any hints because I spent a lot of time denying it myself. I don;t feel like I should anyway, if I want them to know, I will tell them. The already draw their own assumptions and me leading them to it doesn;t make me feel any better. I'm actually very happy for you; you had a fairly easy time coming out and that's something I could only wish for. I have confidence issues as it is and just adding this to it only makes it worse. I can't say that I live a miserable and depressing life bcause I don't. This is just something I need for me and having people whom I love and care about support me would make it easier on me. I don't want to pretend I'm a heterosexual man because I'm not and that I am sure of. I don't want to hide that I'm peeking at some hot guy with his shirt off and feel awkward when every male in the car is gawking and a girl in a bathing suit. I like girls, but I don't know if it's anymore than a like. I really hope I'm not contradicting myself in any of these replies because I think I am. =/

I'm just skimming your post because I'm trying to remember everything...I read it earlier and didn't get around to replying. I think my Mom and my Aunt would be the most understanding, but my Aunt even moreso. My Mom just reminds me all the time that I'm going to meet a smart girl in college because in High School the chicks were pretty trashy, hence I didn't have any interests. I just hope I don't get the whole "you're going to hell because of this talk" even though i doubt it, it's certainly a possibilty.

And one last thing - you know, I don't think there's probably anyone who'd have just been like "oh, gay, yeah, that'd be fucking BUCKETS of fun. I'd LOVE to do that!" out of the blue, but as I've gotten older I think I've kind of understood the whole gay pride thing. Like I'm not the type of guy who'll ever be flying a rainbow flag(could we seriously not pick something better than a fucking rainbow jesus christ), but I think being gay has kind of changed my view of the world in a positive way. As a white male living in the states I definitely empathize with minorities and women with some of their class-related plights better than I would have if I didn't have to deal with any myself, and I think it makes me understand people in general better on some level. It's certainly made me tougher mentally dealing with shit occasionally, which I value even if it isn't always easy. It's not all bad, either - it's nice to have that in group, and while I might not have when I was younger, I like who I am, you know? I'm sure you will, too. Even if I could, I wouldn't change a thing.
That's probably my favorite lone, it seems like my sense of humor. I just want to come out for me, not just to be part of a trend or a community who's loud and proud. I wasn't like that as a straight acting man, why would I change? I dont see myself changing my personality, style of dress, or and other things about me. I plan to still be the same shy, quiet about his love life, chill guy that I am now. Just because I'm out in the open doesn't mean I want to announce it. I feel the same way about the whole minority thing; I find myself empathizing with blacks, hispanics, and women alike. I believe in equality and that's something I want and just letting the world know that I am now a minority (gay) is like just handing my rights away in some people's eyes and possibly even my own. I don't want different treatment for it and that's another fear of mine. I'm not soft of anything and I think this will make me stronger, but in my mind, this sort of thing takes a lot of guts and sadly, that's something I lack.

Thank you again, guys.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure how relevant this will be, since it sounds like you live in a fairly right leaning christian community (correct me if I'm wrong I've only really read the op), and I live in a left leaning community of mostly agnostic people (they would probably describe themselves as christian but thats just the perceived default)
but, I was best friends with a guy since grade one. I remember the first day, I saw him and he was wearing a dragon button up shirt, and I thought "man what a badass". I really don't even remember him coming out of the closet to me (I'm pretty sure I'm the first one he told) it really had a very small impact (if any) on our friendship. So I wouldn't worry to much about your friends.
My friend was pretty nervous about telling his parents, but his dad was completely fine with it, and his mom go over it. (his dad is also a fucking enormous hippy, though, his mum is what you'd call conservative christian)
As for telling your parents, I think you might want to be living on your own first. I find the fact that your dad said "If you turn out to be a (BAN ME PLEASE), I will kill you" pretty disturbing, which is why I recommend being self sufficient (living on your own/having source of income) before you tell him.

@ Virtual (long name xD): My family is pretty Christian, so you were right about that. I don;t think my friends will be too bothered by it, but it's just the fact that I could be wrong and they can be is what bothers me...my God, I worry too much. I've been wanting my independence for a while now and I too think that being on my own first is the best way to go about this even though I don't think it will be that extreme, but I could be wrong. And if you find that line by my Father disturbing, imagine how I felt, I hadn't even hit puberty yet...

I think hard about how your parents will react since you are living with them. Obviously you have to come out eventually but you might want to delay telling your parents. I'd tell a few friends who I could trust not to tell my parents.

I'm so sorry Flamewheeler, but I had to get that off my chest. I apologize for my behavior.
Now for the real advice:

1.Tell a friend you can trust, say someone who's been with you for quite a while, or your aunt, for that matter.

2.Get a job. Save some money. Tell your dad. Then run for your life!

3.Spend as much time as you can away from your family.

4.Like I said, martial arts club can help you with your feelings. Karate can help discipline your feelings so you don't have those urges anymore. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, I'm just saying that if you don't want to be torn from the inside out with these conflicting feelings and maybe have a mid-life crisis, then enroll yourself in a karate club.

I think that you should wait until you feel ready. Like, really ready. If you have this much doubt about the negative consequences to coming out (especially with your dad) then I think you should probably wait until it feels so safe that you don't even really need to ask. But, I've never had to come out before, so maybe I have no idea what it's like to feel like you have to wait to open up about yourself.

@ The Plant: Tha's my plan! =)

@ Mike B: Well, that happened a long time ago and I'm now 19 and do not live anywhere near him. Hell, I may just never tell him, but that's something I think I need to prepare for. He's done some crazy shit before, so I kind of think he has some kind of mental instability, but I'm no doctor.

@ Adm. Empoleon: There is no need to apologize; I kind of agree with your first two suggestions, but I don't want to just abandon my family, but that's a reality I could face. I'd rather try to keep them close to me, rather than running away before/after telling them. It all depends on their reaction, I guess.

@ Nestle: I think so too. I have to feel confident about it before I go and expose myself; that's something that may take a while for me to do. =/

And so I stop getting very similar suggestions, I'll move this on to:
-How do you go about dating on the DL?
-I don't want this to sound werid, but where do you even find gay dudes? I either find some that are way too flamboyant for me, or so undercover that i would've never guessed.
-Help?

And so I stop getting very similar suggestions, I'll move this on to:
-How do you go about dating on the DL?
-I don't want this to sound werid, but where do you even find gay dudes? I either find some that are way too flamboyant for me, or so undercover that i would've never guessed.
-Help?
-Dating on the DL is a bitch. That's how it was with my bf and we were going out for almost a year. You constantly have to lie to your friends and family and there will definitely be close calls and speculation. We were only able to meet up like once on weekends or weekdays where he didn't have work and I wasn't buried in schoolwork. it really destroyed my social life because every weekend there was a party or my friends would hang I'd have to ditch them and hang with him. My friends thought I was anti-social and depressed. ;_; If you want to date on the DL at least have a few friends you can fall back on or something if you get in an argument or something with him etc.. just for support. Also, it'd be nice to be able to hang out with your friends and your bf at the same time, instead of having to divide your time. Trust me it's really draining. Oh, and if the guy is fully out make sure beforehand he's 100% comfortable with the fact that you may have to lie or can't hang out with him because you aren't yet. It really does seem like a slap in the face though when you have to introduce him as "a friend" or "a roommate" or whatever. But always be aware that he might get fed up and break it off with you for someone who's more open...just a warning for you.

-There's always gay bars, which are hella fun, but the chances of you meeting a quality guy there are really low. What you're gonna want to do is join LGBT social groups at school or in your community. GSA's are nice. And you can look for gay groups in your area that are interested in sports like volleyball, swimming, or some even are for hiking etc... Or you can always go online and look for someone there, but I'd only use that as a last resort. I met my bf on a forum and he just so happened to live in LA so we got lucky, but the chances are really low for something like that.

I meet guys over dating sites, applications and listings.

Along with going to a gay bar, go to a review site and see what other people think of the place. Always make sure you know if it's your type of place or don't plan on staying there long. Bad experiences can ruin you

Definitely find a GSA. They usually host them in your school but to avoid being in the open you can probably find one in the area online or through an ad in the local paper, maybe.
They're great because everyone's queer (even the Allies who don't identify are faghags ;3) which means that everyone is awesome! And it's a better place to find a guy, I'd think. The GSA I went to was FULL of single gay guys. Try that before you resort to Craigslist :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)