ORAS OU Seismicity - Mega 'Chomp Sand Bulky Offense

I’ve spent most of my time in teambuilding trying to chase one goal: create a magnum opus of a team that has only a few minor flaws that can be played around. Despite that, I’ve found that just using a half decent team for a while tends to compensate for its shortcomings - you learn to play around things that used to completely shred it apart. You learn the best times to set-up, the best times to sack. You learn which Pokemon are more likely to pivot into a resisted hit in certain scenarios rather than a powerful coverage move or a STAB.

I could go on and on, but I have a feeling that this team is becoming one of them. It’s no gem, but I enjoy using it and I can usually play around its shortcomings. There will always be missed predictions and hax, but you’ll also be making good plays and haxing your opponents (unless you really are that unlucky). They don’t even necessarily have to be good teams, just a few that you can stick with most of the time. Every team will eventually crumble to the test of time (Unless you believe teams that eternally suck count).

Seismicity is a team, that like any other team I’ve poured a significant sum of time into, has gone through a few iterations. It started as a Mega Tyranitar team, which gradually was abandoned after a while. After that, I created another Mega T-Tar build, which was much more solid. Mega Tyranitar wasn’t even the star of the show - Excadrill was, and I was fine with that. Then, I considered that I was running physically biased Life Orb Garchomp was my rocks setter, then thought, “Wouldn’t Lando-T accomplish something similar to this with more utility?”

That created a compound water weakness, so it later occurred to me that the team would probably operate better with Mega Garchomp breaking down Excadrill’s checks and counters, obliterating fat builds, and the extra sand turns wouldn’t hurt.

Thus, this version of the team was born. A few optimizations have been implemented along the way, and I must ask all of you whether I should revoke any, redo any, or put new changes into effect.

Initially, the goal of the team was just to be built around Mega Tyranitar - this changed, of course. I initially decided on Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Superpower at the time.

Celebi was among the suggested options for Mega T-Tar partners, especially if they didn’t carry Crunch. Since the Mega T-Tar set I was using got walled by Slowbro, that sounded good.

Life Orb Garchomp was implemented to break down the checks and counters of other win-conditions - mostly as a throwaway wallbreaker.

Rotom-W was added next as a blanket check for flying spam - especially Torn-T, while providing a vital Ice resist and a way to stop Talon and not risk getting my win-condition burned or damaged.

SpD Talonflame came in next, patching up a lot of Celebi’s weaknesses synergy wise, and still being able to take on each others checks and counters.

Finally, Sand Rush Excadrill was added in, providing destructive cleaning power. Rapid Spin support was secondary to that, but still important.

Afterwards, the mega slot was granted to Garchomp, Tyranitar was converted to a Stealth Rocks variant, and the build began to look like it did now.

Garchomp-Mega (F) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

As said, Mega Garchomp was only added later in the team’s development, when it occurred to me that I could use the extra sand turns. Mega Garchomp is actually the least valuable member in many match-ups - how much damage it does is proportionate to the fatness of the opposing build or how badly the opposing player misplays. Either way, Mega Garchomp is still not a Pokemon the team can completely function without, as it can dismantle more or less any stall build that doesn’t carry Togekiss. Still, 8/10 offense is generally what you see on the ladder, so Mega Garchomp rarely gets to shine. Either way, having a powerful nuke button is always nice (and Wobbuffet can't offset that anymore), and Mega Garchomp brings exactly that sort of variety to this team’s duo of sand abusers.

Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

There was a time where I would go out of my way to not put Tyranitar on my teams. Outside of its mega, T-Tar was a ‘mon that had practically formed itself into a joke in my head. Most of my memories were watching it crumble under STAB SE hits, the rest of being annoyed of its Pursuit trapping. Now, I’m slapping sand offense on so many teams its ridiculous. Tyranitar provides vital support to the team - without it, the team would essentially be neutered in the offensive department. The EV spread is standard - helps it take on DNite, Mega ‘Zard X, while still having a good amount of special bulk. I want to run Thunder Wave so I’m not set-up fodder for bulky waters, but my Garchomp weakness is too prevalent to ignore. Tyranitar is the support ‘mon that fuels the offensive onslaught, the ‘mon that is almost never deadweight.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Recover

Sand has a pretty good list of things it hates - those include Breloom, waters, and opposing weather. Celebi freely switches into and beats any Breloom set not named Poison Heal SD, shrugs off otherwise crippling Scalds, and sucks the life out of Politoeds. Celebi is one third of the F/W/G glue core that prevents the team from miserably falling apart. Bulky waters that would otherwise annoy the team to no end shiver when Celebi enters the field. The EV spread achieves a Stealth Rocks number, outspeeds things speed creeping natured base 70s - and also allows you to outspeed base 130s if you get tricked a scarf. Celebi used to have Baton Pass just for the utility of dry passing, but I decided that if I didn't want to get swept by Bisharps I would do it the offensive way - not letting it set-up in the first place. As a bonus, EP also lures in and kills 'Tran for Talon. Anyways, Celebi is the plant that got brutally shredded into paper and was mixed into glue - which the team falls apart without.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

I’ve considered running Keldeo over Rotom-Wash here, and honestly, I would prefer if I could do so - never again to be swept by that Bisharp or Weavile, never again to be without a good Nasty Pass recipient. The problem is, Tornadus-T and Togekiss would run straight through the team like customers on Black Friday. Rotom-Wash still is a contributing member of the team, taking hits that no other ‘mon can reliably switch into, gaining momentum, spreading burns, and being the only half-decent Weavile answer the team has - even if Keldeo would do it better. Max HP is run as it is a Leftovers number - maximising the efficiency of the item, the 56 Spe EVs creep Adamant max speed T-Tar (mostly to intercept ‘mons speed creeping Rotom-W though), and the rest is dumped into defense. But, it’s the only answer it has for physical Ice-types, and the ‘liquid’ in the glue that binds the team together.

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature

- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Similarly to Tyranitar, I went out of my way to not use Talonflame for the majority of XY. After that, I managed to gradually introduce it to my teams - mostly SD variants. Now, I love SpD Talon. You’d think that a ‘mon with 69 base SpD would be absolutely horrible for taking special hits - but Talonflame’s saving grace is in its priority recovery. The set right now is a Bulk Up one to deal with Mega Sableye and provide a third win-condition, but I still miss Wisp at times. Talonflame provides valuable Taunt support, which I tend to aggressively use early game to prevent rocks set-up, and late-game to clean crippled teams. The speed EVs allow it to speed creep Mega Garchomp, the HP allows for a Stealth Rocks number, and the rest is dumped into SpD. Talonflame is the team’s primary check to special attacking fairies, and also another method it uses to stop rampaging Bisharps that came in on Celebi. The conclusive pokemon in the F/W/G core, Talonflame is the heat that dries the glue (I’m done with glue metaphors, I promise).

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

- Rock Slide
Sand Rush is definitely the main boon of Excadrill to this team. If Excadrill was a cake, then Sand Rush would be the pastry inside and Rapid Spin support would be the icing (Maybe the cherry on top as well). Excadrill is the primary win-condition against offensive builds - at worst 2HKO’ing the majority of the ‘mons on such builds and flat-out OHKO’ing a few frailer neutralities. There is no inherent power advantage with Excadrill like Swift Swimmers, but it packs more power than most weather abusers naturally do, and doesn’t get outsped by any scarfers that don’t pack Trace as far as I can recall. The 29 HP IVs grant a Life Orb number, while the spread is self-explanatory. Earthquake and Iron Head are usually the moves I’ll be spamming, whereas I usually only throw out a Rock Slide if it’s necessary to KO - if the switch-in might be a Rocky ‘Chomp or Ferro, then I might as well as predict and EQ. Excadrill completes the sand abuser duo, the two that shred both faster and fatter builds.

or
Opposing Garchomp: They don’t necessarily 6-0 the team, but offensive SD variants do massive damage to everything - and opposing Mega Garchomps also pose a threat, although the speed somewhat compensates for it.

Weavile: As said, I have no reliable answers to it, the best I can do is throw possessed washing machines at it.

Bisharp: Even though it gets no set-up opportunities on paper it can still and almost guarantees a sack when it does. Realistically, Mega ‘Chomp can take a +2 Jolly Sucker.

Mega Venusaur: Since Celebi can’t switch-in, its just about guaranteed to get a ‘mon asleep. When you have no hard switch-ins and half your team gets walled, you know you’re going to have a bad time.

Bronzong: Walls every win-condition. ‘Nuff said (Realistically, I can Taunt it with Talonflame and wear it down with Garchomp, but it’s still really annoying).

Mega Gyarados: Basically the only way I can not get 6-0’d is to sack Garchomp to damage it, and then RK it with Talonflame or Excadrill. I've almost considered running Shuca Rotom-W just for it.

Mega Gardevoir: If played right, it gets a free KO every time it switches in.

This team started out mostly as sort of a side project - most teams which I seek to ‘main’ don’t work out in the end, a secondary team always manages to squat out their place. In their most optimal state, those teams never last long either. Still, I miss the simple power of Mega T-Tar, and watching offense teams getting broken quicker than the current build, even if the better match-up against stall is nice. Even if I thought differently a while ago, I now have a feeling that the team would have been better off as just a Mega T-Tar build - even if my Exca would probably beg to differ.

I’ve enjoyed the majority of my run with this team - despite the flaws that start unravelling when I face half-competent opponents. But I guess it’s just a part of me to adore packing sadistically powerful hitters, which this team mixes with a mediocre but still fat defensive core. I guess it amuses me to spend most of the game slowly chipping away at the opponent until I get the opportunity to swiftly tear them apart - how most victories for this team play out.

However, this is in no way, a great team - arguably not even a good team - I’ll say that. It’s weak to numerous different ‘mons, is choppy in the hazard removal department, and picking the most optimal filler move on each ‘mon is a dilemma (IE: Baton Pass vs. Earth Power to lure in Bisharp and not get swept). I know there’s lots of them, though. I have a feeling that more extreme changes are necessary, that more straightforward optimizations are right under my nose, or that the older version of the team was better (Also, I still think Chople T-Tar with Keldeo > Rotom-W could work, but losing the sand turns hurts a lot - I’ve tried). This is up to you readers, that’s why you all be rating this team in the first place.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328873387 - Sorry ‘bout hax GMR, shows Mega Sable weakness.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327978731 - Shows how well played Balloon ‘mons on offense pester sand duo - even if I didn’t play optimally this game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327986481 - I miss having Wisp sometimes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328459070 - Kind of a meh game, but shows that ‘Zard Y isn’t much of a threat.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328389284 - Demonstrates rain match-up - and how easily SD Garchomp can punch holes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328385447 - Blah game, but demonstrates how Garchomp lures and weakens Lando-T.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-320199244 - The defensive trio showing their worth - kind of a meh opponent though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330696257 - In no way did either of us play optimally nor did he bring an optimal team, but it shows how the team can fall apart when taken off guard.

Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Recover

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Talonflame: Bulk Up -> Will-O-Wisp

(More my own) Excadrill: Life Orb -> Lum Berry, Rock Slide -> Swords Dance - not necessary if Togekiss is used

Celebi -> Togekiss (NP + T-Wave)

Rotom-Wash: 200 Def / 56 Spe -> 176 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe, Leftovers -> Sitrus Berry

Mega Garchomp: Fire Blast -> Stone Edge (Naughty -> Adamant), to CT Togekiss or SpD Skarm builds, I suppose?

Mega Garchomp: Naughty -> Adamant as it 2HKO's 36 SpD Skarm anyways

Rotom-W -> Scarf Keldeo (Warning: Significantly worsens Torn-T match-up, at this point, you'll probably be reliant on Mega 'Chomp and Talon to force it out)

Mega Garchomp: Adamant -> Jolly

Celebi: Nasty Plot -> Calm Mind

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame (M)
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Shoutouts - More Like Tags: -Magic-, AD impish john, Adamant Zoroark, Creator of Chaos, Karxrida, Recreant, Sparkl3y, PresidentBubblebeam, I probably forgot the rest

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
As fara as I can see this a very solid team, providing pivot, breakers and support. Earthpower celebi + bulk up talon is awesome, since heatran is lured and talon can sweep. There is nothing to say it's very solid. Maybe wow on Talon since you don't need to taunt heatran and so you can burn rotom (making talon and exca job easy) but I reckon it's nice to prevent a clefa T-wave with taunt. But wOw is always a better option : otherwise you have no way to cripple stone edge users, ad clefa just would let you to boost further. Burning hippo is nice so he can get overwhelmed by Exca, who will be able to spin. So try wOw:)
Great team :)

As fara as I can see this a very solid team, providing pivot, breakers and support. Earthpower celebi + bulk up talon is awesome, since heatran is lured and talon can sweep. There is nothing to say it's very solid. Maybe wow on Talon since you don't need to taunt heatran and so you can burn rotom (making talon and exca job easy) but I reckon it's nice to prevent a clefa T-wave with taunt. But wOw is always a better option : otherwise you have no way to cripple stone edge users, ad clefa just would let you to boost further. Burning hippo is nice so he can get overwhelmed by Exca, who will be able to spin. So try wOw:)
Great team :)
Wisp makes me significantly weaker to Mega Sableye - I used it in the past, and it's put in lots of work elsewhere. It's just. Mega Sableye man. Otherwise, i would have gone with it - originally, it was my choice - and it put in significant amounts of work. Mega Sable is much less uncommon but I've experienced how much hell it could be to face it down - if I'm really desperate I guess I could try Lum SD Exca with Spin? Either way, thanks for your opinion.

Also, I don't think shoutouts work in the OP, so I'll be posting them here: -Magic-, AD impish john, Adamant Zoroark, Creator of Chaos, Karxrida, Recreant, Sparkl3y, PresidentBubblebeam, I think I missed a few?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
You could probably fix the weakness to Weavile and Bisharp by simply running Keldeo > Rotom-W, but as you said, the problem with this is that then Tornadus-T cuts through you like a knife through butter. Your weakness to opposing Garchomp simply can't be ignored, though, so I'm prioritizing it. SD Garchomp isn't an automatic loss, but if it gets to set up, your only option is to hit that red X in the corner, seeing as your only Pokemon faster than it can't OHKO (and Excadrill needs sand). Togekiss > Celebi is honestly the easiest fix I can come up with. It stops Garchomp hard (have you seen Iron Head Garchomp on any serious team ever? Me neither), still answers Breloom (albeit not as reliably due to a lack of Spore immunity, and even then, Talonflame also checks it so if one gets put to sleep, you still have the other, though you'd still have to worry about Rock Tomb,) and you don't sacrifice a win condition. The only real disadvantage is the inability to answer bulky waters, but aside from Gastrodon and Quagsire, Rotom-W should have those covered. Togekiss can also run Thunder Wave to help patch up Mega Garchomp's speed issue, so it's a huge help in that department.

Bulky waters shouldn't be too much of an issue without Celebi; the only ones I can think of that Rotom-W doesn't cover are Gastrodon and Quagsire, neither of which want to be facing Mega Garchomp in the sand. However, Keldeo, and Azumarill to a lesser extent, become tougher to handle, although I have placed a modified Rotom-W set in the hide tags to somewhat remedy that issue.

However, the weakness to Weavile and Bisharp still needs to be handled. Bisharp isn't as much of an issue, given that no move it has 2HKOes Mega Garchomp, but you can't rely on this all the time. You can remedy the Bisharp weakness a bit by tweaking Talonflame: Itemless Talonflame with Will-O-Wisp somewhere. I'll leave it up to you where you want to put Will-O-Wisp, but as your set is right now, Talonflame will not only hate switching in on Knock Off, but it can't even do anything back to Bisharp. However, without an item and with Will-O-Wisp, Talonflame can cripple Bisharp and live to tell the tale (Lefties Talonflame falls to CH Knock Off but itemless Talonflame doesn't, making it more consistent), which helps to patch up the weakness to Bisharp (at the very least it will allow Mega Garchomp to continue laughing at everything even vs. Swords Dance sets.) Of course, this means either losing set-up (if you replace Bulk Up) or stallbreaking (if you replace Taunt), so you'll have to pick what you think would be best to replace. I don't know how to fix the Weavile weakness without making your team overall worse (Keldeo or Azumarill > Rotom-W makes for an even more severe weakness vs. Tornadus-T) but Rotom-W can at least sorta take hits, and worst case scenario, you can revenge kill it with Excadrill, so it's probably better to have a "tough but not unwinnable" match-up vs. Weavile than it is to have a near-unwinnable match-up vs. Tornadus-T.

It's a really cool team, though; it's nice to see someone using Mega Garchomp in the one scenario where it's actually superior to its base forme. Good luck with it, and hope I helped.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe (Smogon analysis EVs; tweak as you see fit)
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Talonflame (M)
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up / Will-O-Wisp
- Acrobatics
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

So basically, here's the idea: normally, Rotom-W has a chance to be 2HKOed by Specs Secret Sword, but not with Sitrus Berry. This is EV'd such that Specs Secret Sword always activates Sitrus Berry, even without Stealth Rock and Sand damage, thus allowing Rotom-W to much more consistently switch in on Keldeo. If you can activate Sitrus Berry before coming in on Weavile, it also improves the Weavile match-up, though you may need to heal up with Pain Split first.

Last edited:

I’ve spent most of my time in teambuilding trying to chase one goal: create a magnum opus of a team that has only a few minor flaws that can be played around. Despite that, I’ve found that just using a half decent team for a while tends to compensate for its shortcomings - you learn to play around things that used to completely shred it apart. You learn the best times to set-up, the best times to sack. You learn which Pokemon are more likely to pivot into a resisted hit in certain scenarios rather than a powerful coverage move or a STAB.

I could go on and on, but I have a feeling that this team is becoming one of them. It’s no gem, but I enjoy using it and I can usually play around its shortcomings. There will always be missed predictions and hax, but you’ll also be making good plays and haxing your opponents (unless you really are that unlucky). They don’t even necessarily have to be good teams, just a few that you can stick with most of the time. Every team will eventually crumble to the test of time (Unless you believe teams that eternally suck count).

Seismicity is a team, that like any other team I’ve poured a significant sum of time into, has gone through a few iterations. It started as a Mega Tyranitar team, which gradually was abandoned after a while. After that, I created another Mega T-Tar build, which was much more solid. Mega Tyranitar wasn’t even the star of the show - Excadrill was, and I was fine with that. Then, I considered that I was running physically biased Life Orb Garchomp was my rocks setter, then thought, “Wouldn’t Lando-T accomplish something similar to this with more utility?”

That created a compound water weakness, so it later occurred to me that the team would probably operate better with Mega Garchomp breaking down Excadrill’s checks and counters, obliterating fat builds, and the extra sand turns wouldn’t hurt.

Thus, this version of the team was born. A few optimizations have been implemented along the way, and I must ask all of you whether I should revoke any, redo any, or put new changes into effect.

Initially, the goal of the team was just to be built around Mega Tyranitar - this changed, of course. I initially decided on Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Superpower at the time.

Celebi was among the suggested options for Mega T-Tar partners, especially if they didn’t carry Crunch. Since the Mega T-Tar set I was using got walled by Slowbro, that sounded good.

Life Orb Garchomp was implemented to break down the checks and counters of other win-conditions - mostly as a throwaway wallbreaker.

Rotom-W was added next as a blanket check for flying spam - especially Torn-T, while providing a vital Ice resist and numerous

SpD Talonflame came in next, patching up a lot of Celebi’s weaknesses synergy wise, and still being able to take on each others checks and counters.

Finally, Sand Rush Excadrill was added in, providing destructive cleaning power. Rapid Spin support was secondary to that, but still important.

Afterwards, the mega slot was granted to Garchomp, Tyranitar was converted to a Stealth Rocks variant, and the build began to look like it did now.

Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

As said, Mega Garchomp was only added later in the team’s development, when it occurred to me that I could use the extra sand turns. Mega Garchomp is actually the least valuable member in many match-ups - how much damage it does is proportionate to the fatness of the opposing build or how badly the opposing player misplays. Either way, Mega Garchomp is still not a Pokemon the team can completely function without, as it can dismantle more or less any stall build that doesn’t carry Togekiss. Still, 8/10 offense is generally what you see on the ladder, so Mega Garchomp rarely gets to shine. Either way, having a powerful nuke button is always nice (and Wobbuffet can't offset that anymore), and Mega Garchomp brings exactly that sort of variety to this team’s duo of sand abusers.

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

There was a time where I would go out of my way to not put Tyranitar on my teams. Outside of its mega, T-Tar was a ‘mon that had practically formed itself into a joke in my head. Most of my memories were watching it crumble under STAB SE hits, the rest of being annoyed of its Pursuit trapping. Now, I’m slapping sand offense on so many teams its ridiculous. Tyranitar provides vital support to the team - without it, the team would essentially be neutered in the offensive department. The EV spread is standard - helps it take on DNite, Mega ‘Zard X, while still having a good amount of special bulk. I want to run Thunder Wave so I’m not set-up fodder for bulky waters, but my Garchomp weakness is too prevalent to ignore. Tyranitar is the support ‘mon that fuels the offensive onslaught, the ‘mon that is almost never deadweight.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Recover

Sand has a pretty good list of things it hates - those include Breloom, waters, and opposing weather. Celebi freely switches into and beats any Breloom set not named Poison Heal SD, shrugs off otherwise crippling Scalds, and sucks the life out of Politoeds. Celebi is one third of the F/W/G glue core that prevents the team from miserably falling apart. Bulky waters that would otherwise annoy the team to no end shiver when Celebi enters the field. The EV spread achieves a Stealth Rocks number, outspeeds things speed creeping natured base 70s - and also allows you to outspeed base 130s if you get tricked a scarf. Celebi used to have Baton Pass just for the utility of dry passing, but I decided that if I didn't want to get swept by Bisharps I would do it the offensive way - not letting it set-up in the first place. As a bonus, EP also lures in and kills 'Tran for Talon. Anyways, Celebi is the plant that got brutally shredded into paper and was mixed into glue - which the team falls apart without.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

I’ve considered running Keldeo over Rotom-Wash here, and honestly, I would prefer if I could do so - never again to be swept by that Bisharp or Weavile, never again to be without a good Nasty Pass recipient. The problem is, Tornadus-T and Togekiss would run straight through the team like customers on Black Friday. Rotom-Wash still is a contributing member of the team, taking hits that no other ‘mon can reliably switch into, gaining momentum, spreading burns, and being the only half-decent Weavile answer the team has - even if Keldeo would do it better. Max HP is run as it is a Leftovers number - maximising the efficiency of the item, the 56 Spe EVs creep Adamant max speed T-Tar (mostly to intercept ‘mons speed creeping Rotom-W though), and the rest is dumped into defense. But, it’s the only answer it has for physical Ice-types, and the ‘liquid’ in the glue that binds the team together.

Careful Nature

- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Similarly to Tyranitar, I went out of my way to not use Talonflame for the majority of XY. After that, I managed to gradually introduce it to my teams - mostly SD variants. Now, I love SpD Talon. You’d think that a ‘mon with 69 base SpD would be absolutely horrible for taking special hits - but Talonflame’s saving grace is in its priority recovery. The set right now is a Bulk Up one to deal with Mega Sableye and provide a third win-condition, but I still miss Wisp at times. Talonflame provides valuable Taunt support, which I tend to aggressively use early game to prevent rocks set-up, and late-game to clean crippled teams. The speed EVs allow it to speed creep Mega Garchomp, the HP allows for a Stealth Rocks number, and the rest is dumped into SpD. Talonflame is the team’s primary check to special attacking fairies, and also another method it uses to stop rampaging Bisharps that came in on Celebi. The conclusive pokemon in the F/W/G core, Talonflame is the heat that dries the glue (I’m done with glue metaphors, I promise).

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

- Rock Slide
Sand Rush is definitely the main boon of Excadrill to this team. If Excadrill was a cake, then Sand Rush would be the pastry inside and Rapid Spin support would be the icing (Maybe the cherry on top as well). Excadrill is the primary win-condition against offensive builds - at worst 2HKO’ing the majority of the ‘mons on such builds and flat-out OHKO’ing a few frailer neutralities. There is no inherent power advantage with Excadrill like Swift Swimmers, but it packs more power than most weather abusers naturally do, and doesn’t get outsped by any scarfers that don’t pack Trace as far as I can recall. The 29 HP IVs grant a Life Orb number, while the spread is self-explanatory. Earthquake and Iron Head are usually the moves I’ll be spamming, whereas I usually only throw out a Rock Slide if it’s necessary to KO - if the switch-in might be a Rocky ‘Chomp or Ferro, then I might as well as predict and EQ. Excadrill completes the sand abuser duo, the two that shred both faster and fatter builds.

or
Opposing Garchomp: They don’t necessarily 6-0 the team, but offensive SD variants do massive damage to everything - and opposing Mega Garchomps also pose a threat, although the speed somewhat compensates for it.

Weavile: As said, I have no reliable answers to it, the best I can do is throw possessed washing machines at it.

Bisharp: Even though I gets no set-up opportunities on paper it can still and almost guarantees a sack when it does. Realistically, Mega ‘Chomp can take a +2 Jolly Sucker.

Mega Venusaur: Since Celebi can’t switch-in, its just about guaranteed to get a ‘mon asleep. When you have no hard switch-ins and half your team gets walled, you know you’re going to have a bad time.

Bronzong: Walls every win-condition. ‘Nuff said (Realistically, I can Taunt it with Talonflame and wear it down with Garchomp, but it’s still really annoying).

Mega Gyarados: Basically the only way I can not get 6-0’d is to sack Garchomp to damage it, and then RK it with Talonflame or Excadrill. Dropping moves on T-Tar or Talon for that stops it only makes it worse.

Mega Gardevoir: If played right, it gets a free KO every time it switches in.

This team started out mostly as sort of a side project - most teams which I seek to ‘main’ don’t work out in the end, a secondary team always manages to squat out their place. In their most optimal state, those teams never last long either. Still, I miss the simple power of Mega T-Tar, and watching offense teams getting broken quicker than the current build, even if the better match-up against stall is nice. Even if I thought differently a while ago, I now have a feeling that the team would have been better off as just a Mega T-Tar build - even if my Exca would probably beg to differ.

I’ve enjoyed the majority of my run with this team - despite the flaws that start unravelling when I face half-competent opponents. But I guess it’s just a part of me to adore packing sadistically powerful hitters, which this team mixes with a mediocre but still fat defensive core. I guess it amuses me to spend most of the game slowly chipping away at the opponent until I get the opportunity to swiftly tear them apart - how most victories for this team play out.

However, this is in no way, a great team - arguably not even a good team - I’ll say that. It’s weak to numerous different ‘mons, is choppy in the hazard removal department, and picking the most optimal filler move on each ‘mon is a dilemma (IE: Baton Pass vs. Earth Power to lure in Bisharp and not get swept). I know there’s lots of them, though. I have a feeling that more extreme changes are necessary, that more straightforward optimizations are right under my nose, or that the older version of the team was better (Also, I still think Chople T-Tar with Keldeo > Rotom-W could work, but losing the sand turns hurts a lot - I’ve tried). This is up to you readers, that’s why you all be rating this team in the first place.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328873387 - Sorry ‘bout hax GMR, shows Mega Sable weakness.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327978731 - Shows how well played Balloon ‘mons on offense pester sand duo - even if I didn’t play optimally this game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-327986481 - I miss having Wisp sometimes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328459070 - Kind of a meh game, but shows that ‘Zard Y isn’t much of a threat.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328389284 - Demonstrates rain match-up - and how easily SD Garchomp can punch holes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-328385447 - Blah game, but demonstrates how Garchomp lures and weakens Lando-T.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-320199244 - The defensive trio showing their worth - kind of a meh opponent though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330696257 - In no way did either of us play optimally nor did he bring an optimal team, but it shows how the team can fall apart when taken off guard.

Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Recover

Rotom-Wash @ Shuca Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Talonflame: Will-O-Wisp > Bulk UP

(More my own) Excadrill: Lum Berry > Life Orb, Swords Dance > Rock Slide

Shoutouts - More Like Tags: -Magic-, AD impish john, Adamant Zoroark, Creator of Chaos, Karxrida, Recreant, Sparkl3y, PresidentBubblebeam, I probably forgot the rest
I like your team pretty much and gl with that.However,I would recommend Stone Edge>Fire Blast since stone edge hits harder in sand and also Edge+Earthquake is pretty awesome coverage.Also,I would recommend using 176 Sp Ev's on M-Chomp and 80 Ev's on HP Since Max Speed doesn't makes any sense to me as these speed ev's will outspeed FatChomp and things like Bisharp or Breloom too.

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Else your team is pretty good! Im also thinking to use this team since i liked it that much.Hope I helped and gl.

Adamant Zoroark

Thanks for the more extensive answers to the rest of the problems. Because honestly, I was getting a bit on the contemptuous side about the team's issues. While Celebi helps, it doesn't really do that much without a good Nasty Pass recipent. Keldeo is a bit harder to play around, but as you said, Sitrus makes it easier to play around it and just about every other offensive threat non named Mega Dos. Togekiss also helps out with Mega Venu - sure it can't switch-in, but neither could Celebi - and Togekiss can actually touch it. Also, it helps out with Mega 'Dos, so that never hurts - and can potentially parahax Mega Gardevoir.

Even though I used Togekiss in my last team, I honestly wouldn't have thought of using it here - my brain was still stuck on bulky grasses as possible options - mostly Amoon. Also, since this gives a Mega Sableye answer, I guess I can just drop Bulk Up on Talonflame for Wisp (Burning fat grounds on the switch and Taunting them never gets old). I'm a bit reluctant to drop Brave Bird - even on itemless Talon, but Mega Medicham realistically wouldn't be that healthy late-game so the guaranteed KO isn't a big deal, so I'll go for it.

I'd just want to ask though, do the SpD EVs do anything in particular, especially with the dropped Speed EV?

LukeWithJazz

While the team isn't significantly weak to Togekiss, Stone Edge does make it much easier to play around it, while still nabbing the +2 2HKO on defensive Skarm - while still possibly nabbing it outside of sand. Honestly, I'm just kind of reluctant to drop Fire Blast for hitting Ferrothorns that have no idea what set I'm running or merely never heard of Fire Blast on 'Chomp, +2 Sand EQ does completely obliterate it either way - and most intelligent players would assume I carry Fire Blast. However, it makes grasses like defensive Tangrowth (yeah, I've seen non-AV ones with Seed + Protect) and Chesnaught more on the painful side to deal with. The latter has been on the decline for quite a while, but both stop Excadrill cold, which is definitely something I want to avoid. Either way, I'll consider it.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Flygonial: I missed the four Speed EVs (give me a break I was driving to and from San Diego all day for a 3v3 singles tourney after being sleep deprived from finishing my team last-minute) so basically just take four out of SpD and put them back in Speed. The Special Defense EVs were basically just leftover EVs after lowering Defense to make Secret Sword always activate Sitrus and your Speed target (but I fucked up that). I'm fixing the EVs in my post.

not really into full rates but u dont need to run a naughty nature on megachomp to 2hko skarm- implying they run at least the standard creep minimum of 36 you have a very likely chance to 2hko with rocks up, upwards of 90%- this means you can still trash skarm without losing spdef. kinda nitpicky but Esteemed Analysis-Writer Astroboy just wanted to make it known

-Magic-, astroboy

Now I've already updated the OP yesterday with astro's suggestions, but TY to both of you. I've mentioned the changes in the OP, as even though Keldeo worsens the Torn-T match-up rather significantly, it still does eliminate some of the threatlist. I guess I'll need to put Stone Edge on T-Tar with that change, though. I really haven't played much with Keldeo, so I'll see how it would be like to play around Torn-T with Mega 'Chomp, T-Tar, and Talon, while only one is a switch-in (without rocks). I don't really think it's unwinnable, just see if I can get used to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)