Semi-tailwind team

Changes will be made in Red.

Hi there, I'm attending to Germany for the VGC and wish to have some tips on my team, since it's my first VGC attempt.

I'm running a semi-tailwind team with as a core the Terrakion + whimiscott combo.

Whimiscott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 spD/252 Speed
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack)
-Beat Up
-Tailwind
-Charm
-Taunt

Whimiscott is usually the first I send out, along with Terrakion to create the first offensive momentum of the battle. I use the standard set-up method. I really need to get this working, so maybe more solid tips on the combi (particulary on the side of Whimiscott) would be welcome! Trick Room is to reverse other's trick room. Charm is for protecting terrakion against strong physical attacks.

Terrakion @ Rock gem
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed
Jolly Nature (+Speed, - Sp Attack)
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack
-Rock slide
-Protect

The other side of the card trick. I don't know which item to use because Whimiscott already has the focus sash (item clause, isn't it?), so I use Rock gem for a deadly rock slide. Earthquake is for some extra coverage. the rest is usual.

Thundurus @ Electric Gem
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Sp. Attack/ 212 Speed
Timid Nature (-Attack, + Speed)
-Thunderbolt
-Thunderwave
-HP Ice
-Protect

Genies are great, and thundurus isn't an exception. Thunderwave is for crippling opponents and good for countering Tailwind opponents. Thunderbolt as a powerful stab, HP Ice for all common flying types.

Jellicent @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Sp Attack/ 252 Speed
Timid Nature (+ Speed, - Attack)
-Water Spout
-Ice Beam
-Shadow ball
-Energy ball

I'm a bit unsure about the item, but I don't know how I could otherwise use full power water spout(s). Jellicent is on the team to cover the big ice weakness I have.

Tornadus @ Flight Gem
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed
Jolly Nature (+ Speed, - Attack)
-Tailwind
-Acrobatics
-Hammer Arm
-Protect

My first backup is a second Tailwind user, and a second genie (double genie combo). Acrobatics is just insane, Hammer arm is for coverage. Protect is obvious.

Haxorus @ Haban Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+ Attack, - Sp Attack)
-Dragon Claw
-Rock slide
-Earthquake
-Protect

Just a random pokemon who would benefit truly from tailwind.

I'm in for changes of pokémon too, except the Whimiscott + Terrakion combo. I would like that one to stay. Please help me to prepare for Juli the 2nd!

Problems:
-Ice weakness
(-Diversity?)
(-Metagame countering?)

Pokemon really unsure of:
Tornadus
Haxorus

Jellicent if you want choices should have specs as tailwind will give him his speed. Instead of trick room go for leech seed as your pokemon can benifit from the health. Terrakion needs sword dance I would remove protect as it doesn't have leftovers to heal it. Thunderos should have leftovers as it will heal him with the paralysis and protect. I like haxorus but because of your ice weakness I suggest pory2 with an evolite with the standard:
Thunderbolt|ice beam|thunder wave/toxic| recover
It can stall which isn't to good for a tailwind team but it can work late game and break down the last few pokemon they have alive.
Hope I've helped and good luck with the VGC.

Thanks for your reply.
1. Jellicent has a scarf because tailwind isn't a certainity for him
2. Trick room is needed on whimiscott to reverse an opponent's one.
3. Terrakion get's a +4 from beat up
4. Pory2 isn't allowed in VGC 2011

Still thanks for your suggestions:)

Well because of your ice weakness a Escavaliar or renuculus for a physical or special pokemon. They can both enjoy the wind to dish out very strong attacks that also means renuculus(don't remember how to spell it) can have that trick room that whismicott has. Escavaliar is very slow but resists ice with a 105 base spD. Hope now this is useful.:toast:

I like the Whimsicott, Thundurus and Haxorus. However, I would make some changes to the other guys. I believe the Earthquake should go from your Terrakion and replace it with Quick Attack. This is because your team has no priority already and there will always be those situations where your opponent is faster and has <10% health left and you need to KO it quickly. Also, a Focus Sash might be a viable option just for the sake of other Terrakions but if you have Tailwind up, that shouldn't be a problem. However with the prevalence of other Tailwind, it might become a problem.

As for the Jellicent, only thing I would change is the EVs. A 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 SpD would probably be much more beneficial because with Base 68 speed, the 252 Spd won't be too beneficial unless you want to outspeed the Genies with Choice Scarf. However, without the 252 spd EVs you can't outspeed Terrakion and other guys with base spd over 100. So the 252 spd is beneficial but if your not going to abuse Water Spout, the 252 should go into HP instead of spd.

As for the Tornadus, I don't think Modest nature is the most wise choice. Jolly is a much better option. Also, I think the Hammer Arm should be replaced with either Substitute or Taunt, depends on which you feel would be more beneficial.

Well, everything else looks good to me. These are just my opinion, feel free to disagree :)

Some stuff I'd think about..

- Taunt > TR on Whimsicott to also counter opposing Tailwind (keep in mind, Whimsicott is the fastest Prankster user in VGC'11)

- Life Orb > Rock Gem on Terrakion for better general damage output

- T-Wave is a waste of a slot on Thundurus imo.. better run Focus Blast on it. Also I'd change the HP to Flying, to get a secondary STAB and something for the immense amount of Fighting-types

- Haban Berry isn't obtainable in current Gen5 environment iirc.. better pick something different on Haxorus. Also, with all that Genies around, Rivalry is definately the #1 choice in terms of Ability. Not to mention most Pokemon will be male there..

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Some stuff I'd think about..

- Taunt > TR on Whimsicott to also counter opposing Tailwind (keep in mind, Whimsicott is the fastest Prankster user in VGC'11)

- Life Orb > Rock Gem on Terrakion for better general damage output

- T-Wave is a waste of a slot on Thundurus imo.. better run Focus Blast on it. Also I'd change the HP to Flying, to get a secondary STAB and something for the immense amount of Fighting-types

- Haban Berry isn't obtainable in current Gen5 environment iirc.. better pick something different on Haxorus. Also, with all that Genies around, Rivalry is definately the #1 choice in terms of Ability. Not to mention most Pokemon will be male there..
Thunder Wave is definitely NOT a waste of a slot. If the opposing team gets Tailind up, you're gong to be able to slow them down. HP Flying vs HP Ice is always argued. Yeah, Flying gets STAB, but Ice let's it hit dragon-types and other Thundurus for super effective damage. Havana Berry us available, actually, through the Dream World, and Rivalry may be good on PO, but at regionals you have no idea what gender the foe may be. Mold Breaker also lets you hit Eelektross with a super effective Earthquake. On Whimsicott, Taunt probably is the better idea, but remember that some Whimsicott carry Mental Herb, wasting a turn.

Thanks for the great tips, will change them very soon.

How about a double genie combo, with removing Tornadus, and get a landorus?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)