She Who Mars the Skin of Gods: Leafeon Support (OU RMT)

She Who Mars the Skin of Gods: Leafeon Support (OU RMT)

Hello again, Team Raters! Some of you have seen my Pikapower team (Check my signature if not, I’m always open to new suggestions!), and I’m back with another team built around a rarely-seen Pokémon: Leafeon.

Yes, I said Leafeon. Leafeon is generally in UU as an SD sweeper, or in OU/UU as an SD Passer. But the build I feel in love with long ago on my first team was the rare Wish Passer. Building a team around this Pokémon posed a challenge, though: How do you build a team around a support Pokémon? Well, I thought about it, and decided a team built around a Wish Passing Leafeon isn’t one that makes Leafeon the key to victory. Rather, it is one that makes the best use of its Wish Passing abilities. So, it would be a team with intense type-resistance synergy, with Leafeon sponging attacks aimed at my offensive line and healing them right back. At the same time, Leafeon couldn’t be counted on to secure the win by itself (Any team that relies on just one Pokémon or strategy for a win condition is just stupid; I learned that the hard way. Always have a plan B), so the team needed to get by without Leafeon, yet still make full use of its healing and support. With that in mind, I created the following team:

At a Glance:

The basic strategy is wreck the lead or dent any switch-in with Honchkrow, then pull out for the appropriate counter. Magnezone traps and kills any steels, while Heatran prowls around for a Flash Fire boost, taking out Pokémon in the process. Leafeon’s Wishes keep the team healthy, and Starmie keeps rocks away from the field. Finally, Dragonite comes in and sets up, wrecking the opponent’s team. When a counter shows up, I switch to the appropriate re-counter, remove the threat, heal up with Leafeon if need be, and begin anew. Dragonite alone bashes the opponent’s team, while Heatran and Honchkrow clean up the mess. In all, the team flows around the opponent, then comes down in a torrent, like water (Cowboy Bebop, anyone?).

But this is a Smogon RMT, and thus requires far more in depth explanation. So, here you go:

The Lead and his Backup:

Honchkrow w/ Choice Scarf
Insomnia
Naïve
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Brave Bird
Superpower
Night Slash
Hidden Power (Ice) Pursuit

A build of my own design. I call it the “AntiKrow”, as it is an Anti-Lead. Brave Bird deals with Machamp, something few leads can do. Superpower handles Tyrannitar, and Night Slash does in Azelf. TrickScarf leads are dead in the water, particularly TrickZelf who is OHKOed after its failed Trick. Any Focus Sash lead that runs Taunt completely fails and is 2HKOed without getting up any hazards if they use Taunt on turn one. This is a guarantee, as the EVs allow it to out-speed all base 130s *cough*Aerodactyl*cough*. Sleep leads, of course, fail thanks to Insomnia. Roserade in particular is walked upon, as Scarfed users are OHKOed while Leaf Storm does negligible damage and Focus Sash users are done in with an additional hit. Metagross doesn’t really have anything to fear, but it can be handled by Magnezone very well, which (In a way) is the key to this lead. It can’t be thrown on to any team and work; I made it specifically for this team and for my weaknesses. Anything Honchkrow can’t handle is easily dealt with by another Pokémon. And very importantly, Honchkrow can switch out and come back in to tear up a particularly annoying Pokemon. Wish Support from Leafeon is very helpful here, as it negates Stealth Rock damage if Starmie hasn’t come out yet and heals off Brave Bird recoil. Once out again, I can punch through Rotom, Gengar, Blissey, Tyrannitar and many other threats. I can also come in on Ground attacks aimed at Heatran with impunity. Honchkrow is an amazing Breloom counter, taking the Spore and OHKOing back. That’s got a special meaning for me, since Breloom (and Machamp, while I’m at it) have annoyed the crap out of me with previous teams. He’s definitely one of my favorite Pokémon I’ve played with so far.

HP Ice was replaced with Pursuit, since Salamence is gone and HP Ice won't do any good against Dragonite. I'm better off switching to Heatran.

Mangnezone w/ Leftovers
Magnet Pull
Timid
40 HP, 252 SA, 216 Spd
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Fire)
Substitute
Magnet Rise

This set really surprised me with its usefulness on this team, as I had used it in the past with little success. First off it works with Honchkrow to take out Metagross with stupid ease, 2HKOing with minimum damage done to Magnezone with a simple combination of moves: Magnet Rise as they Earthquake, Sub on the Meteor Mash (Which won’t break the sub) and HP Fire twice for the KO. They’ll have to Bullet Punch to really do anything to me, and that damage is cancelled out by the Leftovers. Later in the game, Magnezone is a great steel killer, clearing the field for Dragonite’s sweep by taking out Scizor and any other Steels. True, Swampert walls this set completely, but I don’t intend to use him against Swampert. Receiving Leafeon’s Wish allows him to continue to slaughter any Steel that dares to oppose me.

The Sweeper and His Sidekick:

Dragonite w/ Life Orb
Inner Focus
Naive
236 Atk, 24 SA, 252 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Dragon Dance

The classic Dragon Dancer. As long as I give myself the proper amount of time to prepare, his sweep is pretty much unhindered. I shouldn’t really have to explain much, other than that he works well in tandem with Heatran to blow holes in an opponent’s team that it then uses to rape them (How’s that for a metaphor?). Leafeon and Starmie provide additional support, with Magnezone removing troublesome Steels that Heatran can’t remove, or if I’m trying to keep him hidden. Dragonite is an amazing team with Magnezone, as together they resist all 17 types. Heatran is also a great teammate, and ties the defensive line with the offensive line to keep my team flowing and the panic button unpressed. As for why I chose him, this was a Salamence, but I replaced him after he was banned. Works just as well so far, though I feel like a jerk for not using Dragonite as it's own Pokemon.

Heatran w/ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire
Timid
252 SA, 252 Spd, 6 Atk
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse
HP Grass Explosion

Heatran works amazingly well with Leafeon, taking both a Wish and a Flash Fire boost in the best situations. It’s similar to the Celetran combo defensively, but functions far differently. Heatran can come in on a revenge killer aimed at Dragonite (I’m looking at you, Weavile) and revenge-kill right back with Fire Blast or Earth Power. He resists Ice heavily, which is great when working with Dragonite. In fact, that’s often how he works, working in tandem with Dragonite to break down a team’s defenses. Fire Blast deals out massive damage in general, while Earth Power deals with other Heatran and rounds out the coverage. Dragon Pulse takes out any Dragon type I might have problems with. Explosion punches through any dedicated special wall, like Blissey (WHORE!). Overall, he’s a very versatile revenge killer, and despite being listed as sweeping support, he’s earned me many victories by cleaning up after Dragonite’s reign of terror has ended. I used to hate Heatran, but after using many different builds on different teams, I must say I love the support he offers my team when used properly.

The Support:

Starmie w/ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Timid
136 HP, 156 Def, 216 Spd
Surf
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin
Recover
*In Limbo right now, as I'm trying to make a more offensive version*

Well, what can I say that hasn’t been said? Starmie is a generally great Pokémon, Rapid Spinning quite well to keep Honchkrow and Dragonite safe, while adding a check against Infernape. Gengar doesn’t bother me, as Heatran can come in on Shadow Ball and KO with Fire Blast, although if I predict it has Thunderbolt I can go for Leafeon, or Magnezone (Though I must watch out for Focus Blast). Rotom forms could possibly cause some problems, although Honchkrow can punch both them and Gengar out easily enough. Rotom-H takes some tricky mind games and prediction to get in a KO scot-free for me though, such as having Starmie take the burn and Surf, then I go to Honchkrow on the Shadow Ball and Night Slash. Starmie is an excellent Rapid Spinner and completes my defensive base of Fire, Water and Grass, which works amazingly well despite having happened by accident.

Leafeon w/ Leftovers
Leaf Guard
Impish
252 HP, 20 Def, 232 Spd *Messing with these EVs too*
Leaf Blade
Wish
Protect
Yawn

And now, my muse. Leafeon works amazingly well with this team, healing up both my offensive and defensive line. For example, let’s say Dragonite has gotten a Dragon Dance under its belt and is sweeping. A Scizor comes in to ruin its fun, and I switch to Heatran. Fire Blast KOs the Scizor, and Swampert comes out. Leafeon comes in on the Earthquake, and Wishes. Dragonite then comes in on the switch-in’s Fire attack aimed at Leafeon, and receives the Wish to heal up for another round, minus Scizor. This very scenario has happened several times, and variations occur even more often. Leafeon also gives Honchkrow another chance at life, though that match-up doesn’t work as well with Honchkrow sharing Leafeon’s Ice weakness (True, Dragonite does too, but if I suspected an Ice attack I’d just go back to Heatran) and not resisting any attacks aimed at Leafeon. Starmie also appreciates the support, although to a lesser extent. Yawn can force a switch or incapacitate the opponent, which is awesome either way. Protect allows me to scout, and if Swampert stays in to try to Ice Beam me, I can Leaf Blade back for the OHKO. Heatran can come in off of Fire-types aiming for Leafeon with impunity, and Leafeon can do the same for Ground-type attacks aimed at Heatran. Leafeon also serves a secondary purpose, allowing me to scout for my opponent’s Ice type before sending Dragonite out into the unknown. All in all, a stellar Pokémon, and she still proves to be one of my favorites after all this time.

Team Building Process:

Well, after building a team around Pikachu, I was ready to build another team around one of my favorite and sorely underused Pokémon: Wish Passing Leafeon. In order to make her the star she deserves to be, I had to build a team that could make full use of her support.

Heatran could take Fire hits aimed at Leafeon, set up Stealth Rock and punch holes in the opponent. Starmie made a great Rapid Spinner and defender who appreciated Leafeon on the team to take Electric attacks. This also created a FGW defensive base, something I’d heard was very effective, although it was by accident.

I had to pick a sweeper to take full advantage of my defensive line, and Salamence fit perfectly. I changed Heatran to a Scarfran, and Salamence was like magic.

Magnezone works wonders with Salamence (Or so I’d heard) and also hits Waters hard and without fear, something I wanted. I heard that it and Salamence together resisted all 17 types, and I was sold.

I couldn’t decide on a lead, but I really wanted a counter to Breloom and Machamp. Then I had an idea: Anti-Lead Honchkrow. With that final addition, I started play-testing. After losing out to Leadmence BADLY, I added HP Ice and tweaked the nature and EVs for maximum all-around power. The result was more than I ever expected. LeadKrow is a force to be reckoned with, and with that last change, I began dominating.

Salamence was banned, sadly, and I had to replace him. I didn't want to restructure my team, so I just slapped on Dragonite. I know, I know. No0b move, and not to mention just plain mean to Dragonite, but it works very well and lets me keep on truckin'.

For my final notes, I must say that Wish Leafeon needs more exposure, and that a good FGW defensive base works well against many teams.

But the real victory here was the discovery of Anti-Lead Honchkrow. Yes, Leadkrow needs minor tweaking for each team it’s placed on, but the concept works amazingly well. And as always, Lead Synergy is amazingly important, and I can’t thank Neno enough for introducing this concept to me in his Breloom-based RMT. So please, try it out and maybe we can change the metagame together (Lol, wouldn’t that be awesome?).

So, who has questions? Comments? Let me know, as long as it’s constructive and DOES NOT remove Leafeon.

Also, if you got the title reference, MAJOR cookies are awarded to you.

Hello!

Good job on using Lefeon for a change (unlike everyone else that uses Vappy). Anyways for Honchkrow try out this set:

Honchkrow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 244 Atk/216 Spd/48 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
Moves:

Brave Bird
Superpower
Sucker Punch/ Night Slash
Heat Wave/ Hidden Power [Grass]

This is my favourite anti lead Krow the sash helps guarantee a death. BB for the great 120 Base Power STAB atk. Superpower is for Heatran and T-tar leads. Sucker punch is for azelf and is useful for finishing attacking leads, although if you don't want to predict too much the night slash is ok. The last move slot is for what you want to KO heat wave KO's celebi and metagross leads, although you have mence, tran, and zone, so heat wave is not too necessary. Hp grass helps with hippo and pert leads.

Good Luck!

Yeah, I saw that set. I changed it, since Choice Scarf allows for better carnage throughout the battle. I've tested Honchkrow intensely, and I'm keeping it the way it is. Maybe I'll replace HP Ice with Grass or Heat Wave, depending on further battles and the damage it does to Jirachi, though Superpower's 2HKOing power tends to do it.

But thanks so much for complementing Leafeon! So many people recommend the EXACT thing you said: Changing to Vaporeon. Last time I used Leafeon, when I first started, everyone just flamed me for it. So thanks a lot, that's a real confidence booster!

W00T! Finally, someone else who using Krow as a lead! I used the old lead set for Krow. Look up NU in OU, you can get the whole set and discussion.

Leafon is very very bulky and has a very high defense and should be used as such.

Actually, KidX gave practically the exact set, only I used Drill Peck >> BB and Heat Wave.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
I gave this team a quick run and here are some things I found:

The speed on Leafeon is relatively useless as many of the things it switches in on are slow anyways. IMO just max Defense on it to minimize the damage it takes. If you want, you can invest in enough EVs to outspeed Jollytar without scarf (beat 243 speed).

I hardly used HP: Grass on Heatran at all, even when there were Swampert hanging around. Especially if your opponent is prepared for Heatran, I found that just pounding with Fire Blast was both safer and more rewarding. Explosion is much more useful, too, so consider swapping those two.

I found myself hardpressed against Lead Salamence because Krow always faints no matter what, and Salamence is guaranteed to live through the hit, leaving you at a disadvantage after the exchange unless it carries Life Orb (it may survive, in that case, as you have stated, which is quite lame). Regardless, Salamence leads are pretty uncommon, but that's just my experience. O__o

That said, you have a bit of trouble taking down DDmence, whom gets free switch-ins into Leafeon and outspeeds both of your scarfers. Given your team is set-in-stone, I'll leave you to think on that.

I've found Rapid Spin on Starmie to be a hindrance to your team's offensive prowess; most of the time, I was attacking rather then spinning, even when the rocks were down. Rapid Spin is an extremely defensive move, and switching in Starmie to get off a Rapid Spin only allows your opponent to bring in another hard hitter. This is overall counterproductive to your team because in a metagame like DP-OU where the action is fast-paced and a lot of table-turning moves are simply good predictions, you are better off attacking and leaving mons crippled for your scarfers to come in and clean up. You could make better use of Ice Beam, too, as this gives you a little more assurance against Salamence from coming in and wrecking your team. Stall teams shouldn't be a problem as long as you execute your strategy with good prediction. Stalling makes one easy to predict. Finally, Life Orb should be considered.

Ok when I first saw this team I honestly said to myself, "lol wtf this guys gonna be a noob." but once I actually looked at the team it seemed pretty good. Anyways, this is just a placeholder. I'll rate it tomorrow.

Alright, I'll make Starmie more offensive and see how that works out. Although, I had experienced success with his Rapid Spinning. As for HP Ice, yeah, already working to replace it, but my first two maches in a row were against Mence leads that pwned me. So was my third match, but then I had HP Ice which at least limited his time on the field and nabbed me the victory.

Explosion over HP Grass... that's the best option, I suppose, since Leafeon does the trick anyway on Swampert. I'll mess around with the EVs on her too, by the way.

Thanks for that, I'll see how well offensive Starmie works and if lacking a Rapid Spinner costs me anything in the future.

And btw, my team is not set in stone. Recommend any changes you might think of, as long as they're good.

Wirhout a rapid spinner, there is really no point in wishpassing to mence as he won't be able to take an unresisted hit on his second switchin with rocks in play. If you make the change, then take out fire blast on mence for roost, enabling mence to hold his own in the endgame or heal on intimidated resistances.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I dislike your using Hidden Power [Grass] on ScarfTran. First of all, bulky waters, specifically the Swampert that you noted, don't even hinder Salamence's sweep, unless said Swampert (or Vaporeon) spams Protect and hopes to hax you with Outrage confusion.

I suggest you change Heatran's Hidden Power [Grass] to Explosion. You probably don't even need to change the nature, since Blissey already takes a huge hit and low health Blissey nearly always use Wish / Softboiled ASAP. Anyway, this solves your Gyarados woes; you don't really have any set-in-stone counters for it.

Additionally, Leafeon is missing 4 EVs, and actually knowing what these said EVs do - 232 Speed EVs ? - would be rather helpful.

Alright, thank you everyone! Sorry, I haven't posted in awhile, been busy. HP Grass is going for Explosion on Heatran, and I'm still experimenting with Starmie's moveset and Leafeon's EV spread. I'd be done by now, but like I said, I've been busy. So, in particular, I'm curious as to a more offensive Rapid Spin set on Starmie, since I'm most indecisive about that, whereas Leafeon's tweaking is more of just doing the absolute minimum Speed required to outspeed stuff, and that's just calculation. I especially want Ice Bean on there so I can lose HP Ice on Honchkrow, but I'm just stuck on how to do it.

So yeah. Starmie suggestions would be awesome.

Starmie w/ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Timid
156 HP, 136 SpA, 216 Spd
Surf
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin
Ice beam

Anyone notice how Dragonite has over 510 Evs

Nice team, but i have a suggestion for you:

Yawn Leafeon will make a lot of switch, so entry hazards really help a lot. I suggest SR Lead in Heatran, it did an amazing job for me.

I just want the cookies I get for knowing that the title is a Protest The Hero song. =P

But this is a pretty cool team, I like that you're trying something different and using Leafeon in OU. If you're trying for a more offensive Starmie, I'm somewhat partial to Life Orb Starmie that also runs Rapid Spin. Timid with 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe with Hydro Pump (or Surf), Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Rapid Spin. Life Orb hurts but Leafeon can always pass it a Wish later, and with that moveset + Life Orb it punches holes in a lot of stuff.

Feel free to try it out, it's a personal preference, you may not like it.

Either way, props on a dope team though. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)