Shoddy Sprite packet made of fan made scratch sprites: looking for contributors

So after learning that Shoddy's sprites can easily be changed around simply by copy/pasting files into the sprites folder, I came up with an idea.

Every since I started making sprites, my goal was to eventually have my sprites used on Shoddy Battle. For a long time, I thought the only way I would be able to accomplish this would be to win a CAP poll, but after seeing how far beyond me the more talented artists of smogon are, I knew that winning a CAP sprite poll would be nigh impossible in the near future. So now I've decided that if I want my sprites to be used on Shoddy, I've got to put them out there myself.

And I want to bring all the other spriters of smogon with me.

My idea is to create a sprite packet (just like the HGSS one that was just released) that has many alternative sprites that can be easily unzipped and installed at one time, instead of having to go in and replace and rename each sprite one at a time. Since I don't have nearly enough sprites to justify releasing anything big on my own, this packet would contain the best sprites made by players and fans. This means only completely original content, no recycled Game Freak Sprites. Revamps are ok only if their lineart and shading has been rescratched.

Everyone who's sprite gets used will recieve credit for what sprites they contributed. I know there are many of you here on smogon that have sprites to contribute to this, so I invite you to do so. I am also contacting people from other sites to see if they would be willing to contribute, so hopefully this will be a pretty substantial sprite packet. If you know anyone that has scratch pokemon sprites to contribute but that doesn't come to smogon, please give me their contact info/website so I can invite them to contribute.

OK here the sprites we have so far:

DarthVader17:

ChaosCrippler:

Dhjona:

Fuzzberry:

Noobies:

Harudo:

klnothincomin:

Nakugetsu:

Archus7:

My stuff:

And I just want to clarify, Revamps are acceptable as long you change the line art to match 4th gen and not just the colors/shading.

I only have 2 from scratch, but I like this idea.
I doubt we'll have every pokemon sprite from scratch, so maybe in the near future the spriters can start a full on project.
I'd like to contribute to this though, it's a great idea.

I was actually thinking about this a while ago, I'll try and whip some up but it's difficult for me to get on the computer lately.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This sounds great, but I'm not quite up to it yet. I'm also wondering how you'll control the quality? Quality of sprites submitted that is.

And Wichu, that Pokemon Amethyst thread never went up D:

I'll be putting the packet together, so if I don't think a submitted sprite is up to snuff, I'll let the artist know and give them tips to improve it.

@Politoed, I want to avoid using any sprites made from official sprites. I want this sprite packet to have completely original sprites that showcase the talent of pokemon pixel culture, as well as bring the competitive community and the artistic communities of pokemon closer together.

Hello there, Canti!

I'd love to help you with this project. My spriting flame has gone out recently, and I think this would be just the thing to get it going again! Would we be doing backsprites, too, though?

Anyhow, count me in. That way, you know you already have your Dragonite covered. ;)

I oculd help out too, but not very active. You can expect a few sprites from me :p
But every bit helps.
I really hope this is going to work but there are really alot of pokemon... And scraching isn't so easy :p But I believe you can make it work if you try..
good luck :)

noobiess, we don't need new sprites for every pokemon. This is just a way for people to get their existing sprites featured on shoddy. Once I get a sizable collection of sprites for final evolutions (like 15 or so), I'll release a v1.0 packet, and I'll keep releasing updating packets as people keep on contributing sprites. And I've already got 10+ sprites of my own.

BTW, if you guys have sprites that you want included, you should start PMing me, cuz I'm not gonna hunt them down.

Yeshh good point.
I think we should focus on UU and OU scratched pokemon first though, as that's where the packet will be put to the most use.

Ok,
But cleffa and electrode or a little bit commen, don't they? (cleffa with sandstormteam (with endeavour) and electrode to start a rain dance)
But I get it..
But is the quality of they sprites good enough?

I think the Electrode and Cleffa would be fine, since they are so uncommon.

Updating the OP with pokemon who we already have sprites for. Don't be discouraged if you see a spot that you wanted is filled, we can have two sprites for each pokemon, male/female.

Well, I'm interested in this. My scratching sucks, so I think I'll stick to more uncommon stuff for now.

Reserving Slowbro and Azumarril.

Working on Swampert, and therefore dibs-ing it. I would also like Celebi. I should be able to get those both up within the next week.

Hey, Canti. I'd like to contribute to your project. I've been wanting to create sprites using the existing poses from the Pokemon TCG. Although I don't remember exactly when, I actually made a Steelix sprite a while back. Since they've just been sitting on my computer, I think it'll be convenient to donate it to your project, along with the others I'll make in the future.

Woo, my only repose...

If the quality isn't good enough, don't be afraid to say so.
Is it just me, or is that Infernape giving you the finger?

Also, there was a particular WSC where the challenge involved reposes. If you could find the participants, you should ask them if you can use their sprites, as some were really pretty good.

Holy shit, that Giratina is beautiful. o.O The Flygon is cool, too.

Whee, I'm thrilled to see my sprite on Shoddy! I'm almost done with Swampert's lineart, and I'll be starting Celebi the instant it's finished.

I love this project. X3 But do tell me, are we doing backsprites too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)