Other Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder: V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89236234

This battle features on one side:
Belly Drum Smeargle
Life Orb Bisharp with Swords Dance and triple stab of Sucker Punch, Knock Off and what appears to be his main STAB attack, Foul Play.
Forretress, which is repeatedly used for Volt Switch in attempts to do damage.
Mega Charizard Y that only shows Focus Blast, despite being against a ghost at one point.

On the other:
Non-Mega/non-sash Alakazam, which stayed in against Bisharp.
A Dragonite with Flamethrower that appears to have max attack and no special attack, HP, or defense investment.
Curse/Amnesia/Rest Snorlax. It's attack of choice? Ice Beam.
Quick Claw Gengar with Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt and Curse.
Golem.

I'm assuming the first person thinks that Foul Play is a standard 95 BP physical attack, and the Alakazam could have been Life Orb, which while definitely not optimal it is still possible to use. I really can't think of why they thought anything else here was a good idea though.
You gotta admit though, some of these strategies ended up working better than you would expect, even if it was very suboptimal.

Snorlax hit Garchomp with an ice beam, and didn't get his attack dropped by the burn.
I'm intrigued by Belly Drum Smeargle. You get a free turn of setup with spore, and maybe it could be somewhat viable with two priority moves? Like, extremespeed and bullet punch/shadow sneak? Give max hp/attack investment? Idk, probably still a stretch... Just doesn't deal enough damage even with the bonus. Maybe as a baton passer with extremespeed as a fourth move?
Triple STAB Bisharp got a KO and damaged Blastoise before it got beaten.

Still not good by any means, but...

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89320959
>Ancient Power Heatran
>Switching out after getting the Ancient Power boost first turn.
>Using Ice Beam against an Empoleon, especially since this guarantees that your +1 Sp. Atk/+2 Speed Imposter Ditto won't be able to take out any of his other team members as most of them resist Ice.
>Switching in Ferrothorn against an Ice Beam-locked Imposter Ditto.
>Using Ice Punch against an Empoleon.
>Falling for the Heatran switch-in three times.
>Falling for the Ferrothorn switch-in twice.
>Using Dual Chop on a Ferrothorn.

You gotta admit though, some of these strategies ended up working better than you would expect, even if it was very suboptimal.

Snorlax hit Garchomp with an ice beam, and didn't get his attack dropped by the burn.
I'm intrigued by Belly Drum Smeargle. You get a free turn of setup with spore, and maybe it could be somewhat viable with two priority moves? Like, extremespeed and bullet punch/shadow sneak? Give max hp/attack investment? Idk, probably still a stretch... Just doesn't deal enough damage even with the bonus. Maybe as a baton passer with extremespeed as a fourth move?

Smeargle would be better for passing Belly Drums than for trying to actually use them. A Spore+Sub+BD set with a Liechi Berry is capable of somewhat safely passing +6 Attack and +1 Speed to an ally. Once.

Saw this on a Youtube video once where a guy uses this trick to pass a Liechi+BD boost to a sashed Magikarp in a gen 4/5 wifi battle against a team of hacked ubers. Proceeded to 1HKO the entire team with 200BP Flails at extreme rain-boosted speeds.

Just saw two more silly things, the second one may not be though. Btw Life Control was a Xerneas.

Aggron used Blizzard!
The opposing Life Control lost 20% of its health!

The opposing Life Control used Close Combat!

Ancient Power is good on Heatran because it stops Talonflame from using it as setup fodder.
Then again, so do Toxic and Roar.
Huh. Alright, didn't know that. I'm just used to Ancient Power not being viable ever, with the possible exception of Serene Grace mons. But if it works, it works.

Snorlax wasn't burned at the time, and even if he was he was burned, he was at +3 Atk, as well as having a higher Atk stat, so Ice Punch still would have done more damage. The only reason I can possibly think of for using Ice Beam instead is if he was that concerned about Ferro/Garchomp/Rocky Helmet that he is willing to let everything else set up, give them a massive number of chances for a crit, or just switch around until he runs out of Ice Beams.

Smeargle needs a sash to do anything, and Belly Drum ruins that. Maybe I'd say it was fine if he used Sub before Belly Drum, but otherwise it's going to get him killed unless his opponent isn't smart enough to switch out after getting spored, or brings in something slower than Smeargle, allowing him to Baton Pass out.

I'll admit that the Bisharp worked in that instance, but that was largely due to misplays on the opponent's part. If you've gotten this far in this thread, you probably don't need to be told that just because something does well in one instance, it doesn't mean that it's actually good.

Anyway, I'm too argumentative for my own good. Going back to stalking battles now.

Random Shit volume 32 (I think): Finally Unfrozen Edition
-Psychic Chandelure.
-An Archeops that used its Sitrus Berry to get out of Defeatist range, only to go right back into it with Head Smash.
-Octillery.
-Dragonite using Extreme Speed on a Gengar.
-Medicham using Psycho Cut on Bisharp.
-Greninja without an item.
-Occa Berry Trevenant (not terrible, just odd, considering what it usually uses).
-Nosepass 2strong: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89377502 and http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89374834
-Sceptile with Outrage.
-Breloom using Spore twice in a row. It also had Giga Drain. A different one had Iron Tail.
-Shadow Claw Absol. Seriously, people, STOP CONFUSING GHOST WITH DARK.
-Signal Beam Volcarona.
-Dragon Pulse Serperior. In all fairness, it did 2HKO Kingdra, but they're rarely going to face each other.
-Smeargle Rapid Spinning into Ferrothorn while at 1 HP.
-Curse+Quick Claw Snorlax. Made me laugh, and also succeeded in taking out a Y-zard.
-Earth Power+Low Kick Tyranitar.
-Well then: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-89374283

And last, but certainly not least, some silliness on both sides here:
Turn 18
Sableye, come back!
Go! Breloom!
The opposing Toxicroak used X-Scissor!
Breloom lost 43.3% of its health!
The opposing Toxicroak fell asleep!
Breloom was poisoned!
Breloom restored HP using its Leftovers!
Breloom was hurt by poison!

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I faced Tail Glow Smeargle from a guy with a rating of 1500+. After Spore and Tail Glow I thought it would use Baton Pass, so I switched to Talonflame and was KOed by Boomburst. With Tail Glow and STAB Boomburst, a base 20 Special Attack is way more powerful than you'd expect. Honestly, This may fit better in the Creative Movesets thread...

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I faced Tail Glow Smeargle from a guy with a rating of 1500+. After Spore and Tail Glow I thought it would use Baton Pass, so I switched to Talonflame and was KOed by Boomburst. With Tail Glow and STAB Boomburst, a base 20 Special Attack is way more powerful than you'd expect. Honestly, This may fit better in the Creative Movesets thread...
After a tail glow, a neutral natured smeargle has more special attack as a timid Alakazam. Of course Smeargle still isn't a very reliable/good sweeper.

So I was facing some guy with eviolite Chansey and I switch in my Bisharp to absorb the inevitable Toxic. Just as I was getting ready to use Knock Off, he switches out his Chansey and takes out Talonflame. I knocked out a freakin' Choice Scarf...

I saw an Imposter Ditto without a Scarf and a Genesect with Gunk Shot.
Cause it's not like Genesect has ANY Steel STAB to get dem Fairies.

EDIT: I also know somebody IRL that uses Dark Pulse on Umbreon. WHY?
Maybe he wanted to nail Grass-types... wait, no, it has Bug STAB... Yeah, still stupid.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89528120
Lol, my friend and I did this battle at lunch. We're Lord Noob. We made this alt so we could try out crap teams. And this guy almost lost to us...
Yes, he was stupid for trying to Toxic a Sub, and for using Toxic while in Blade Forme. And also for not carrying Night Slash on Gallade. (Does it learn Shadow Claw? If so, he should be using that instead.) But face the facts: You scored at least four game-changing criticals in that match. Without them, you probably would have lost much worse than you did.

Yes, he was stupid for trying to Toxic a Sub, and for using Toxic while in Blade Forme. And also for not carrying Night Slash on Gallade. (Does it learn Shadow Claw? If so, he should be using that instead.) But face the facts: You scored at least four game-changing criticals in that match. Without them, you probably would have lost much worse than you did.
Lol, I was lucky, yes.
This battle was less luck based though.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89589881

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)