Similar Pokemon Not From Same Evolutionary Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it was interesting how GF made similar looking Pokemon that weren't from the same evolutionary lines. Are they trying to tell us that they used to be from a common ancestor or something? o.o;

Examples:

-Sharpedo and the Gabite line. Their color schemes are very similar and both lines are supposed to be sharks.

-Vespiquen/Combee and Mothim. Their color schemes are also similar and both are insects. One evolves when male and the other evolves when female.

-Shellos/Gastrodon and Lapras. Both are aquatic and share similar traits (such as the spiked shell/shell like structures on their backs and their long necks/sliminess). Perhaps they were from the same creature in the past?

Maybe I'm looking too much into this but its very interesting! Post some more that you've found or think are interesting.

(I guess this works here...)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think this would be the best place to put this (in fact I don't think this really belongs anywhere, maybe Firebot?)

EDIT:
You maybe should review the rules of the forum, Ruins or Firebot are definitely a better choice over Cong

Oh sorry. D: You guys should have a General Pokemon discussion board or something...

And where did you get your avatar from the art looks cool!

Having a general Pokemon discussion board would risk making us Serebii with a better colour scheme.

I suspect that such similarities are an inevitable consequence of Pokemon morphospace - the range of possible Pokemon designs - becoming somewhat crowded. With over 500 species in however many evolutionary lines, there's bound to be similarities.

The other possibility is that the later designs are based on originally-rejected earlier concepts. Maybe Gastrodon was the original design for Lapras? But I don't know of a shred of evidence that this is the case, although it is true that there are a lot of unused Pokemon concepts.

But isn't it strange how shark Pokemon have the same colors?

And how sea snails/slugs are similar too?

Its so interesting.

And why don't you want to be like Serebii I love their website? Sometimes people want to just talk about the non-competitive aspects of Pokemon and there's really no place to do that here!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon are imaginary. They can be as similar or dissimilar as the creators want.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
-Shellos/Gastrodon and Lapras. Both are aquatic and share similar traits (such as the spiked shell/shell like structures on their backs and their long necks/sliminess). Perhaps they were from the same creature in the past?
Pointing out that Lapras is a plesiosaurus (basically a pseudo-dinosaur that swam) and Gastrodon is a slug.

And according to a link posted in the hack thread, Marowak was originally supposed to evolve into Kangaskhan.

I don't think pokemon have evolutionary lines. Clearly all evidence points that they were too complex to have 'evolved' into different pokemon and were created by the one and only god, Arceus. Plus there is no proof that comes from any transitory fossils between Gastrodon and Lapras.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It appears that some Pokemon share similar cries ingame as well, is this due to laziness on Gamefreak's part, data storage limits, or could it hint at some hitherto undiscovered evolutionary link?

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
I think it's a bit harsh that this thread is being made fun of when there's actually a deconstructing GEN1 thread right on this page (maybe because it's Kristy?) but...

Truth be told there's not a lot to talk about in this besides Venomoth/Butterfree. After GEN1 nothing really weird happened.

It appears that some Pokemon share similar cries ingame as well, is this due to laziness on Gamefreak's part, data storage limits, or could it hint at some hitherto undiscovered evolutionary link?
One pair of such cries is Caterpie's and Goldeen's. A caterpillar-like creature evolving into a fish-like creature ...

I don't think pokemon have evolutionary lines. Clearly all evidence points that they were too complex to have 'evolved' into different pokemon and were created by the one and only god, Arceus. Plus there is no proof that comes from any transitory fossils between Gastrodon and Lapras.
I LOLed.

Similarity between cries, mainly of first gen Pokemon, is due to the limits of the console. There are basically a few "template" cries, which are then sped-up or slowed-down for different Pokemon. Game Freak has kept the original cries almost unaltered through the later generations - something I commend them for doing.

I don't think this would be the best place to put this (in fact I don't think this really belongs anywhere, maybe Firebot?)

EDIT:
You maybe should review the rules of the forum, Ruins or Firebot are definitely a better choice over Cong

(though if you were to put it in Firebot it'd get edited like crazy. Could try Stark but... we've always been really averse to a general mons forum here for some reason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)