Simple Questions/Requests - Mark 48 (Minor Pokemon Trades, Item Requests etc GO HERE) (NO HACKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is HP Ice really important for Nihilego? I'm SRing to get a good one, and it's hard enough to even have Synchronize actually work 1/5 of the time, much less to have a Nihilego with the right nature actually have HP Ice.

Is there something I'm missing? Because it seems like the odds of getting a Timid, HP Ice Nihilego are about 1/36, and that's just getting one with crap stats that I'll have to Hyper Train.

Can anyone who's SR'd for good UBs or Tapus tell me how they do it?
Just gotta tough it out or get super lucky, I managed to get a timid HP ice Nihilego in a dive ball in around 12 hours

Just gotta tough it out or get super lucky, I managed to get a timid HP ice Nihilego in a dive ball in around 12 hours
Shit, I started my hunt for Nihilego with Dive Balls too, ended up giving that up pretty quickly.

Trying to get a Timid Nihilego with HP Ice is hardly the worst thing in Pokemon, but that's what has me so confused. I see people with non-HT'd legendary Pokemon with perfect stats and the right HP type, and I just can't wrap my head around it.

Shit, I started my hunt for Nihilego with Dive Balls too, ended up giving that up pretty quickly.
Dive Ball makes zero sense for it, anyway. Just keep going and you'll get a HP Ice one before long. You're getting unlucky, but it's one of the easier desirable types to get and it will happen. Just be glad you're not resetting for HP Fire.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Is HP Ice really important for Nihilego? I'm SRing to get a good one, and it's hard enough to even have Synchronize actually work 1/5 of the time, much less to have a Nihilego with the right nature actually have HP Ice.

Is there something I'm missing? Because it seems like the odds of getting a Timid, HP Ice Nihilego are about 1/36, and that's just getting one with crap stats that I'll have to Hyper Train.

I SR'd an HP Ice 31/0/X/X/31/31 Timid Nihilego in a Dive Ball. There are some minor exploits you could do in different ways, depending on your preference, but before opening the Hide Tab: if you don't care about which Pokeball you should put Nihilego in, and you have a Master Ball, catch the Nihilego in it on turn 1, check nature to see if it's Timid, and if it is: fly straight to the Nursery to get your Hidden Power Checked, if it's not HP Ice (or another useful type like Fire) SR and Repeat.

However, if you do care about Pokeball:
You can use Strength Sap, Shiinotic's signature move, to check Nihilego's Attack stat ([Attack]=[HP pre-SS]-[HP post-SS]) before catching it and a Pokemon with a specific speed (preferably a Dark type) to know whether Nihilego's speed is larger/equal to or lower/equal to a specific number. Here's the three main ways they can be used for SR'ing:

Variation 1 - Always Timid, but tosses some Timid ones:
Overview: By using Strength Sap, you can check to see if the Nihilego's attack is 62 or lower, and you can use a Pokemon with 136 Speed to check if Nihilego's speed is 136 or higher. If its attack is 62 or lower or its speed is 136 or higher, then it's Timid nature.

Set-up: Use a Fainted Timid Synch in Slot 1. Have the Strength Sap user in slot 2, full recommended moveset Spore, Strength Sap, Substitute, Confide. High HP investment is recommended for it, at least make it so Substitutes bring the Strength Sap user down to Max HP-63. In one of the four remaining slots, put your Pokemon with 136 Speed, Moves doesn't really matter for it, but if you can give it False swipe, that would be good.

Checking Process: Turn 1: use spore, if Nihilego didn't bring you down to a point where an acceptable Strength Sap doesn't fully heal you, use substitute, then use Strength Sap. If the Nihilego has 62 attack or lower, switch into your speed check and use a move like False swipe or such. If the Nihilego doesn't outspeed you, you could either toss or try once or twice more to make sure it's not Timid. If the Nihilego did have 62 or lower attack and did outspeed your checker, then it's Timid nature and should be caught to have its Hidden Power type checked.

Pros: Makes sure you won't waste much time on non-timid Nihilego.
Cons: you could theoretically toss really good timid spreads.

Variation 2 - Toss a bunch of non-timid ones, but still has a chance to catch non-timid ones:
Pretty much the same as variation 1, except only SR over the Nihilego, if its attack is 73 or higher or the Speed is 128 or lower.

Pros: Gives you a higher chance of the Nihilego's you check having a Timid nature
Cons: Still gives you a chance that you'll even check and check something like a an Adamant 31/2/21/27/31/31 Nihilego.

Variation 3 - 0-1 Attack
Overview: The variation I did. I recommend not checking speed here, since that's so insignificant and unreliable in comparison to checking attack, though something like a speed check of 126-127 speed wouldn't hurt, especially if that's a dark type that's also your false swiper. In this variation, you'd check if the attack stat is 56, because if it's higher than that, its attack IV is 2+, meaning it'll take more damage from Foul Play and such.

Set-up: Synch and strength Sap user is the same, except you'd only need the strength Sapper's HP to get down to user's HP-57 after a sub, and as mentioned earlier: you don't really need a speed test.

Checking Process: also pretty much the same as variation 1, except for the attack number being changed and speed check not being that necessary.

Pros: The Nihilego will end up with 0-1 Attack, meaning it'll take minimal damage from foul play and confusion and be perfect after Hyper Training
Cons: Much lower odds than if you just go for Nature and Hidden Power.

Note: Dark types are preferred for Speed checks, because Nihilego can screw up Speed checks by using Mirror Coat. However, it won't use that if a Dark type is out on the field.

BTW, Sorry, I know this is a "ask a Simple Question, get a Simple Answer" thread, but I really wanted to go this deeply into explaining one of my favorite moves.

Last edited:

Trying to get a Timid Nihilego with HP Ice is hardly the worst thing in Pokemon, but that's what has me so confused. I see people with non-HT'd legendary Pokemon with perfect stats and the right HP type, and I just can't wrap my head around it.
It's about having patience to keep at it, because you will probably be SR'ing the same Pokemon for quite some time, especially if the Hidden Power type is important.

It is if you want it competitive for OU, but what you could do is run a entry-hazard setter instead.

Move 1: Toxic Spikes
Move 2: Stealth Rocks
Move 3: Power Gem
Move 4: Venoshock/Protect

This is the set I've been using for Battle Spot Doubles, beacuse I just didn't care enough about A: Nihilego and B: Peeps setting up on me (I have an HP Fire Starmie I'm running with it, as it forces out alot of pokes). Not the best set, but it's functional?

Sondero

what was so special about that ninetails?, i might be able to get one that is very similar to that.
Here's the details of it:
♀

Timid Nature | Ability: Snow Warning | Item: Light Clay
IVs: 31/0/31/HT(30)/31/HT(30) | EVs: 252 Sp.A, 6 Sp.D, 252 Spe
Moves: Aurora Veil, Freeze-Dry, Moonblast, Hidden Power [Fire]
Egg Moves: Encore, Freeze-Dry, Hypnosis, Moonblast
OT: vee4Phoenix | TID: 076087
Notes: All moves it knows are PP Maxed
Bred by me, hatched by vee4Phoenix on SVExchange.​
Edit: oh and here's the link to the giveaway post on facebook, in case you were wondering: https://www.facebook.com/SmogonU/posts/10155053886102390:0

Dive Ball makes zero sense for it, anyway. Just keep going and you'll get a HP Ice one before long. You're getting unlucky, but it's one of the easier desirable types to get and it will happen. Just be glad you're not resetting for HP Fire.
I actually got HP Fire before I got HP Ice (I eventually did get an HP Ice in a Beast Ball), but the HP Fire one may have been Modest instead of Timid.

I'd only been doing Dive ball because Nihilego sort of looks like a jellyfish and its colors sort of match. It wasn't any big deal to switch to Beast Balls, though.

I SR'd an HP Ice 31/0/X/X/31/31 Timid Nihilego in a Dive Ball. There are some minor exploits you could do in different ways, depending on your preference, but before opening the Hide Tab: if you don't care about which Pokeball you should put Nihilego in, and you have a Master Ball, catch the Nihilego in it on turn 1, check nature to see if it's Timid, and if it is: fly straight to the Nursery to get your Hidden Power Checked, if it's not HP Ice (or another useful type like Fire) SR and Repeat.

However, if you do care about Pokeball:
You can use Strength Sap, Shiinotic's signature move, to check Nihilego's Attack stat ([Attack]=[HP pre-SS]-[HP post-SS]) before catching it and a Pokemon with a specific speed (preferably a Dark type) to know whether Nihilego's speed is larger/equal to or lower/equal to a specific number. Here's the three main ways they can be used for SR'ing:

Variation 1 - Always Timid, but tosses some Timid ones:
Overview: By using Strength Sap, you can check to see if the Nihilego's attack is 62 or lower, and you can use a Pokemon with 136 Speed to check if Nihilego's speed is 136 or higher. If its attack is 62 or lower or its speed is 136 or higher, then it's Timid nature.

Set-up: Use a Fainted Timid Synch in Slot 1. Have the Strength Sap user in slot 2, full recommended moveset Spore, Strength Sap, Substitute, Confide. High HP investment is recommended for it, at least make it so Substitutes bring the Strength Sap user down to Max HP-63. In one of the four remaining slots, put your Pokemon with 136 Speed, Moves doesn't really matter for it, but if you can give it False swipe, that would be good.

Checking Process: Turn 1: use spore, if Nihilego didn't bring you down to a point where an acceptable Strength Sap doesn't fully heal you, use substitute, then use Strength Sap. If the Nihilego has 62 attack or lower, switch into your speed check and use a move like False swipe or such. If the Nihilego doesn't outspeed you, you could either toss or try once or twice more to make sure it's not Timid. If the Nihilego did have 62 or lower attack and did outspeed your checker, then it's Timid nature and should be caught to have its Hidden Power type checked.

Pros: Makes sure you won't waste much time on non-timid Nihilego.
Cons: you could theoretically toss really good timid spreads.

Variation 2 - Toss a bunch of non-timid ones, but still has a chance to catch non-timid ones:
Pretty much the same as variation 1, except only SR over the Nihilego, if its attack is 73 or higher or the Speed is 128 or lower.

Pros: Gives you a higher chance of the Nihilego's you check having a Timid nature
Cons: Still gives you a chance that you'll even check and check something like a an Adamant 31/2/21/27/31/31 Nihilego.

Variation 3 - 0-1 Attack
Overview: The variation I did. I recommend not checking speed here, since that's so insignificant and unreliable in comparison to checking attack, though something like a speed check of 126-127 speed wouldn't hurt, especially if that's a dark type that's also your false swiper. In this variation, you'd check if the attack stat is 56, because if it's higher than that, its attack IV is 2+, meaning it'll take more damage from Foul Play and such.

Set-up: Synch and strength Sap user is the same, except you'd only need the strength Sapper's HP to get down to user's HP-57 after a sub, and as mentioned earlier: you don't really need a speed test.

Checking Process: also pretty much the same as variation 1, except for the attack number being changed and speed check not being that necessary.

Pros: The Nihilego will end up with 0-1 Attack, meaning it'll take minimal damage from foul play and confusion and be perfect after Hyper Training
Cons: Much lower odds than if you just go for Nature and Hidden Power.

Note: Dark types are preferred for Speed checks, because Nihilego can screw up Speed checks by using Mirror Coat. However, it won't use that if a Dark type is out on the field.

BTW, Sorry, I know this is a "ask a Simple Question, get a Simple Answer" thread, but I really wanted to go this deeply into explaining one of my favorite moves.
Thank you so much for all this information. Somebody had told me about Strength Sap and speed ties in determining a Pokemon's stats, but not in as much detail as you just gave.

I am a little confused about the exact mechanics of Strength Sap, and the usage of Substitute in that context, so is there anywhere I can look to get a better understanding of it all than I have? Everything you said was helpful, but it's so different than what I've been used to doing (I RNG'd in Gen IV and V) that I may need more material to read.

Sondero

I am a little confused about the exact mechanics of Strength Sap, and the usage of Substitute in that context, so is there anywhere I can look to get a better understanding of it all than I have? Everything you said was helpful, but it's so different than what I've been used to doing (I RNG'd in Gen IV and V) that I may need more material to read.
If you use Strength Sap with 250 out of 265 HP for example, you'll only recover 15 HP and the attack stat of Nihilego will remain just as unclear. But if you use substitute, you remove 1/4 of your max HP, which would make the exact attack stat clear if it's 76 or lower. It would be unclear, if it's higher than that, but at 77+ attack it'd pretty much be an automatic toss anyway.

Also, because of the fact that the textboxes cover the HP bar, it can be hard to spot the exact number of when Strength sap starts and stops. so having a Substitute up at the beginning of the round where you use Strength sap ensures that the HP of the turn is unaffected by Nihilego, meaning you can just look at the HP on the move selection screen before you select Strength Sap and the HP on the move selection screen after having used it.

Can someone with S/M help me evolve my Porygon?
I will be on for the next two hours or so.
Thanks in advance.

I have extra breedjects if you want one.

I've got
x2 5IV female Mimikyu in Dusk Balls(both missing speed IV)
x2 female 4IV females in Dusk Balls(random IV's)
x2 female 3IV Wimpod in Dusk Balls w/Aqua Jet(random IV's)
x1 male 5IV in Dusk Ball w/Aquat Jet(imperfect IV's)

Will trade for ANY Drampa and Oranguru.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a male Skarmory, Aerodactyl, Archen or Archeops with Stealth Rock.
I'm also looking for an Heavy Ball.

I can offer anything from my thread, link in signature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)