Multi Gen Simple Questions, Simple Answers Mk. II (Read Before Making a Thread)

If offensive Primal Groudon opts for Earthquake over Precipice Blades, does it lose any important KOs?

Edit: To clarify, I'm mostly asking about Rock Polish + 3 attacks here.

hyw

Banned deucer.
Darkrai: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 300-354 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 250-295 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Primal Groudon: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 320-378 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 270-318 (66.8 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mega Kangaskhan: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 274-324 (78 - 92.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 229-270 (65.2 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Primal Kyogre: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 301-355 (78.3 - 92.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 252-297 (65.6 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mewtwo: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 300-354 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 250-295 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The difference the extra 20 power is quite significant, allowing you to attain KOs you otherwise would not be able to with Earthquake alone; this especially rings true for a Rock Polish + 3 attacks set as you have no way of boosting your attack stat independently. The only time Earthquake is warranted is if you're using a support set (the extra base power doesn't really matter to be completely honest, though I still prefer Precipice Blades since 85% in my opinion is still feasible) or if you're using a Swords Dance set specifically crafted to break stall, in which case the boost Swords Dance provides renders the difference in base power negligible, like on a Swords Dance + Thunder Wave or Swords Dance + Substitute set.

Darkrai: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 300-354 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Darkrai: 250-295 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Primal Groudon: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 320-378 (79.2 - 93.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 270-318 (66.8 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mega Kangaskhan: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 274-324 (78 - 92.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 229-270 (65.2 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Primal Kyogre: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 301-355 (78.3 - 92.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 252-297 (65.6 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mewtwo: 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 300-354 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock vs. 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mewtwo: 250-295 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The difference the extra 20 power is quite significant, allowing you to attain KOs you otherwise would not be able to with Earthquake alone; this especially rings true for a Rock Polish + 3 attacks set as you have no way of boosting your attack stat independently. The only time Earthquake is warranted is if you're using a support set (the extra base power doesn't really matter to be completely honest, though I still prefer Precipice Blades since 85% in my opinion is still feasible) or if you're using a Swords Dance set specifically crafted to break stall, in which case the boost Swords Dance provides renders the difference in base power negligible, like on a Swords Dance + Thunder Wave or Swords Dance + Substitute set.
this is great and all but 252+ isn't used too much, and especially not on the sets where you would even begin to consider eq. Pblades is better of course as 30 dmg difference is a lot and it does net certain things, it's just that those are not these things. Maybe this is overly nitpicky though .-.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
not sure what you mean by "sets you would even begin to consider earthquake on", since the only sets that might use EQ on have swords dance...

isn't it obvious you want more power on those anyway? support sets can't run 252+ obviously so those calcs aren't relevant to them. I wouldn't ever run eq on offensive sets (especially not rp) because of the calcs hyw showed (he's right for sure) because sd twave also misses out on some stuff. Support isn't going to do as much damage anyway so it's less problematic to run eq (I don't think this is a fallacy because of how damage effectively scales). Again I think pblades is also better on those, but it seems illogical to want to cripple offensive sets by running eq to me

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
He used to be an Ubers moderator, but shit happened involving chair RPs and some other stuff and he got banned.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
yes - in general, its the go-to stealth rocker in the tier. now, that's not to say it's the best set - that depends on its teammates.

yes - in general, its the go-to stealth rocker in the tier. now, that's not to say it's the best set - that depends on its teammates.
Thanks.

I'm going to RNG it as part of clearing out my SoulSilver cart. There are no perfect Relaxed spreads in 4th gen, so which one would be better for it - 31/31/31/31/31/26 or 31/31/30/31/31/31? Not sure if Speed is really an issue at all, or it might be nice to have the 31 IV in order to Speed-tie with other Relaxed Primal Groudon.

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
depends on the context - since you're talking in game, im going to assume you're talking about vgc. this'd be the wrong place to ask, and i'm not overly experienced in vgc so take this w/ a grain of salt, but i'd go for the former :o

Hi :) please can you help me with a couple of ev spreads. I can't use the calculator so I don't know what to choose. Id like one on a P Groudon-4 attacks (one overheat and the rest physical) and 3 atks calm mind p kyogre too please. Id like them to be as strong as possible and fairly bulky/fast buy my bulky sets are outsped and revenge killed and my fast are kod too easily. Thanks.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi :) please can you help me with a couple of ev spreads. I can't use the calculator so I don't know what to choose. Id like one on a P Groudon-4 attacks (one overheat and the rest physical) and 3 atks calm mind p kyogre too please. Id like them to be as strong as possible and fairly bulky/fast buy my bulky sets are outsped and revenge killed and my fast are kod too easily. Thanks.
Based on what you're saying, I would probably reccomend a physical Rock Polish set, dropping Overheat in favor of Rock Polish. This set has power, bulk, and speed by RP, with a spread of 104 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 56 Spe.

If you want to keep a special fire attack (but fire blast, not overheat), consider a mixed Polish set, but beware that these can lean special and usually are a bit less bulky. EVs for that are 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 104 SpD / 56 Spe.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Question of my own: Why isn't there a BL0 between OU and Uber? Stuff like Deoxys Normal that are too strong for OU but not up to par in Uber would go here.

Question of my own: Why isn't there a BL0 between OU and Uber? Stuff like Deoxys Normal that are too strong for OU but not up to par in Uber would go here.
BL lists aren't really tiers; they're basically banlists for UU and lower. Thus, there's no need for a tier between OU and Ubers when Ubers already consists of everything banned from OU. There also aren't really enough mons that are too strong for OU and too weak for Ubers to merit a new tier between OU and Ubers

Adeleine

BL lists aren't really tiers; they're basically banlists for UU and lower. Thus, there's no need for a tier between OU and Ubers when Ubers already consists of everything banned from OU. There also aren't really enough mons that are too strong for OU and too weak for Ubers to merit a new tier between OU and Ubers
Well, I do know that right now BL lists are only banlist a for UU and lower, but I don't see why theoretically a banlist for OU couldn't be created if other nonstandard (aka non OU) tiers have BL lists, especially since Ubers is all tier-tactic now instead of being a banlist. And I think Deoxys-D, Deoxys-N, Arceus-Bug, Arceus-Fighting, Arceus-Psychic, Reshiram, and Mawile-Mega could go in. That still may not be enough, though.

Well, I do know that right now BL lists are only banlist a for UU and lower, but I don't see why theoretically a banlist for OU couldn't be created if other nonstandard (aka non OU) tiers have BL lists, especially since Ubers is all tier-tactic now instead of being a banlist. And I think Deoxys-D, Deoxys-N, Arceus-Bug, Arceus-Fighting, Arceus-Psychic, Reshiram, and Mawile-Mega could go in. That still may not be enough, though.
Ubers IS OU's BL though. It's acknowledged as a tier, yes, but it's a tier comprised of mons banned from OU, which is the functional equivalent of the BL lists of other tiers. Even if you created a list of mons that are bad in Ubers but are too good for OU, Ubers is the only place you could use those mons anyways, so there's no point in dividing up Ubers with a BL list.

Adeleine

Ubers IS OU's BL though. It's acknowledged as a tier, yes, but it's a tier comprised of mons banned from OU, which is the functional equivalent of the BL lists of other tiers. Even if you created a list of mons that are bad in Ubers but are too good for OU, Ubers is the only place you could use those mons anyways, so there's no point in dividing up Ubers with a BL list.
Oh, now it makes sense. Thanks!

Adeleine

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Dance

^ How viable does that seem for Ubers?
It looks like it could use a bit of work. You're running a dragon dance set but only have one physical move and little attack investment. Disregarding investment, double edge is much stronger than hyper voice, and while hyper voice does pass through substitute, that's not really enough of a reason to use it. Special sets also generally aren't best on Salamance-Mega since it can't boost its special attack, and 120 isn't all that great for Uber. Something more like

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Attack / 176 Spe and Adamant Nature swiped these off the smogon analysis; you basically put your SpA EVs into Attack and put some Speed EVs into HP for bulk. Since Dragon Dance boosts speed, you don't need that much speed investment. In a similar vein, Adamant here is better than a Speed boosting nature.

-Double-Edge
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake (steel and pdon coverage)
-A good other move like Roost

This is more of a suggestion than a question, but I think it would be interesting for ORAS Ubers to implement.

Could we implement an alternate ladder where the Ubers council (or other method) "bans" a top-tier threat for a certain period of time (2 weeks to a month)? I personally, as well as other players, feel that Ubers is an incredibly imbalanced metagame, and its status as an unofficial tier prevents any Pokemon from becoming banned other than M-Ray. Having an alternate ladder (much like No Mega OU) that experiments with bans would allow for some Ubers players to delve into a different metagame that puts into effect different theoretical situations many Ubers players talk about, such as a Primal-Groudon ban or a Xerneas ban.

To clarify, I'm not asking for a complete rehashing of the current Ubers ladder. Instead, I would like to see an OM like No Mega OU or No Scald UU for Ubers players.

Reactions: hyw
Is Dragon Dance and Refresh a legal combination on Salamence? Dragon Dance is an egg move and Refresh is limited to the XD purified Salamence, isn't it? So how do you get the two together?

Edit: Ok, nevermind. Serebii didn't list the other purified moves and I was getting super confused. I thought it must be possible otherwise someone would have noticed by now. Guess I can just play XD and get my own without any hassle then. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)