Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Gary in a recent viability rankings post sang the praises of Camerupt while raising it:
  • Mega Camerupt was ranked because of its surprisingly decent success it has had in WCOP, as well as in general. It was not ranked for its niche on Trick Room (Mega Mawile is better on TR anyway) but how it is an extremely strong breaker that is able to punish some of the common meta trends as well as set up Stealth Rock. Pokemon such as Clefable, Mew, Celesteela, Tangrowth, and Tapu Koko can give Mega Camel free opportunities to come in and spam its basically unwallable STAB combination. It's also one of the few great soft check to Magearna in the tier.
So I'm just wondering what partners would be good for Mega Camerupt.

Why is regular kyurem used on some variations of stall? What role does it fill?
Nothing. It's literally just a way for people to boast about ladder achievements and how they "innovated" stall by changing one Pokemon even though they made the team worse since the Pokemon they changed was Dugtrio.

Out of all seriousness, Kyurem can fit on semi-stall and balance builds. It's an annoying user of Pressure with Ice Beam / Substitute / Roost / Protect when paired with Dugtrio to remove its answers in Heatran, Magearna, Mega Mawile, etc.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gary in a recent viability rankings post sang the praises of Camerupt while raising it:

So I'm just wondering what partners would be good for Mega Camerupt.
VoltTurn support is extremely nice with Camel because you can get it in safely without having to take unnecessary damage. Tapu Koko is a great partner because it baits in bulky Grass-types such as Tangrowth/Ferro which is just free food for Mega Camel. Tapu Bulu is also nice because it gives Camel passive recovery, weakens the damage it takes from potential EQs, and also gives Camel the ability to run Nature Power which turns into Energy Ball in terrain (Thunderbolt with Koko). Bulu also handles fat waters which pressure Camel. Landorus-T is also nice for U-turn and baiting in some fat mons like Skarm, Celesteela, and Growth while also being a Thousand Arrows switch-in.

For more information on Mega Camel just look at its analysis that was just recently uploaded.

Where is the ou theorymon thread? I had a couple theory mon ideas such as play rough bulu, ice punch kyu-b, dry skin camerupt-mega, disguise zoroark, flying gem (for hawlucha), etc. How do I submit the ideas for ou theorymon or get permission to launch the thread?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Where is the ou theorymon thread? I had a couple theory mon ideas such as play rough bulu, ice punch kyu-b, dry skin camerupt-mega, disguise zoroark, flying gem (for hawlucha), etc. How do I submit the ideas for ou theorymon or get permission to launch the thread?
We don't currently have an OU Theorymon thread, nor do we plan to create one anytime soon.

Last edited:
So any avid builders, how can i make a more nonstandard team successful. By nonstandard I'm not saying F.E.A.R or any other stupid gimmicks, I am instead referring to the use of more off meta B or C picks in between the more meta mons.

So any avid builders, how can i make a more nonstandard team successful. By nonstandard I'm not saying F.E.A.R or any other stupid gimmicks, I am instead referring to the use of more off meta B or C picks in between the more meta mons.
Well, it is to be noted that the "standard mons" are standard, but it's for a good reason. It's because they generally outperform the other mons – that's why they're the standard picks, because generally they do better than the other mons.

That being said, if you were to try to incorporate a nonstandard mon (say, a B or C mon) into your team, you will either have to find a unique niche for that mon or treat that mon as death fodder.

For instance, Ktütverde managed to make a rather successful Slaking team (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/normal-spam-slaking-bulky-offense-peaked-3.3569610/) back in OrAs (peaked 3rd in a suspect ladder) because s/he found a niche for Slaking – an incredibly powerful mon that synergized with Mega Lopunny. The key to his/her success was taking a nonstandard mon – Slaking – and creating a rather unique niche for him, and then exploiting that niche to the fullest.

Yeah adding on to what Spoons said, the way to make a "more nonstandard team successful" is to make it more standard I'm afraid. There is a reason why they are standard. Now if you want to utilize one lower ranked mon in your team, you typically need to build around it from the start rather than trying to force it in later in the teambuilding process

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
To me, every pokemon can be used in every tier higher than its own. A good exemple is poliwrath, which is classified PU but has been used by many players in OU with success due to 90+ hp/def/spdef stats and great typing. So we have pokemons with big defensive stats that aren't used because they simply don't threaten the opponent (avalugg/poliwrath). Others have a "poor typing": bulky psychic types would be far better if U-turn wasn't bug-type and pursuit/knock off dark-type.

Then, some pokemons are very, very powerful, but are either slow or too frail. I have a joke: imagine typhlosion PU. It makes no sense, it has specs eruption, it's like a charizardY cmon! Well, it's not a joke. It is PU, even though it is faster than most PU/RU/UU/OU attackers. It just has 0 bulk and little coverage. But don't say typhlosion PU=typhlosion bad. If you face it in OU, I'm curious to see if you have a safe switchin to it. Charizard has risen to topOU thanks to a boost in spA and drought, tho the regular form is PU. So the frontier between tiers is tiny, very tiny and little changes brings poor mons like PU-mantine to big threats (roost wall mantine).

As Spoons of Justice and OrangeGuru (thank you both!) said, you must find a NICHE: a pokemon is indeed in a low tier because it is either "bad" (luvdisc), bad meaning 0 good stat and/or no movepool (but what I called "bad" mons should never be used because it makes no sense), or because it is OUTSHONE by another (arcanine vs heatran). But choose a pokemon you like, check its stats, and look for moves/abilities that its rival doesn't have: intimidate arcanine has morning sun in addition, contrary to heatran that can't heal and take physical hits. If you find all the little things that make your pokemon unique in a given tier, you can start building around it. You will realise you are mistaken if you build only in a way to support your pokemon and that you keep thinking: 'god I just want to replace this by a heatran'. If switching mons doesn't affect the team you built, then something is wrong because you are actually trying to put a C-D or E ranked mon in a slot that a A rank can do as well. Your pokemon must do something, provide a little but unique contribution to your team (my pachirisu volt absorb+superfang, abomasnow's hail).

Your team may not be great and you may be tempted to give up very quickly. I'll tell you something: I have got a lot of experience building around what other people call "bad mons" but that have nonetheless a niche. I worked on my favourite teams and got to the topladder with stuff like pachirisu, and I have my RMTs to show to everybody that you can be creative and play whatever you want if you get to understand the mechanisms and meanings hidden behind tiers, rankings and generally, metagames.

I've been toying around with Volcarona and I realized it actually has great revenge killing potential with a Focus Sash. Running Fiery Dance allows it to snowball as well from KOs and still Quiver Dance to boost. I want to know if anybody has tried this and has had any successes. This has worked for me in casual, but I haven't tried it in Showdown yet

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I've been toying around with Volcarona and I realized it actually has great revenge killing potential with a Focus Sash. Running Fiery Dance allows it to snowball as well from KOs and still Quiver Dance to boost. I want to know if anybody has tried this and has had any successes. This has worked for me in casual, but I haven't tried it in Showdown yet
A revenge killer without scarf and weak x4 to rocks isn't exactly what I would call a revenge killer. Sash alakazam works because of magicguard for exemple (immunity to entry hazards), but it's probably the only safe sash revenge killer. Volcarona is just a sweeper with quiver dance, however if you feel like focus sash helps you set it up, why not, but it shouldn't be called a revenge killer.

Considering Ash Gren has 150+ SpA, 130+ Spe, a very spammable dual typing, and 60 BP priority and isn't even S rank in the tier, when is darkrai being retested and allowed in OU?

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Considering Ash Gren has 150+ SpA, 130+ Spe, a very spammable dual typing, and 60 BP priority and isn't even S rank in the tier, when is darkrai being retested and allowed in OU?
Darkrai is like Marshadow but on the special side and with Nasty Plot.
About AshNinja, the council has said that they will decide the next suspect after the wcop

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Ash-Greninja isn't that powerful off the bat, as it's stuck as a non-protean greninja until you force the opponent to sack a pokemon to it. Darkrai has a comparably great speed tier alongside an immediately great special attack and nasty plot, and a better movepool.

This applies to a lot of formats, not just OU. What are the most common reasons why viability rankings and usage stats are inconsistent to one another?

I remember hearing in the beginning of this gen that you could tell whether or not your opponent had a weather-extending rock right off the bat, because you could check how many turns of weather were left. Is that actually how it works on cart?

I remember hearing in the beginning of this gen that you could tell whether or not your opponent had a weather-extending rock right off the bat, because you could check how many turns of weather were left. Is that actually how it works on cart?
Unfortunately, no. When you check for your opponent's weather, it still displays the 5/5 countdown. Then, when 5 turns have passed, it switches to the new x/8 counter if the opponent has the weather rock. Found out the hard way against a sun team in a link battle.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
This applies to a lot of formats, not just OU. What are the most common reasons why viability rankings and usage stats are inconsistent to one another?
The people can use a pokemon that ranked low more than a pokemon that is ranked higher
This talk about rankings made me think about one thing: if Marshadow weren't quickbanned, what ranking would it have gotten?
At least A+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)