Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

I mean it’s literally mentioned on the Pex analysis, it can’t be that niche.
Its mentioned that it is not recommended because it neuters two of the huge functions of Pex, phasing setup sweepers and winning PP wars. Its usable sure, its not as bad as Merciless, but similarly it is a fundamentally worse pex, plus rather than run double Toxic I would definitely opt for Knock Off which is way less redundant and has way more utility.

So I'm not sure if this is a bug with my iPhone or Pokemon Showdown and I'm confused by it.
I can't report it in the PS bugs thread so I'll ask about it here.

On the team builder, it says Magearna can learn Fiery Dance.
But when I try to battle it tells me Magearna can't learn that move.
Is that a bug in the team builder or is it a move for magearna that hasn't been released yet?

IMG_2731[1].PNG

So I'm not sure if this is a bug with my iPhone or Pokemon Showdown and I'm confused by it.
I can't report it in the PS bugs thread so I'll ask about it here.

On the team builder, it says Magearna can learn Fiery Dance.
But when I try to battle it tells me Magearna can't learn that move.
Is that a bug in the team builder or is it a move for magearna that hasn't been released yet?

View attachment 112791
i think thats how the interface is intended to look. if you choose a move on a pokemon in the builder even if it doesnt learn it, when you click / tap on the move it appears as not greyed out despite the pokemon not getting that move. sorry if i didnt explain this well lol

Reactions: Leo

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
What's the most effecitve Mamo set? Jolly Life Orb? I really want Adamant but Heatran is such a bummer.
If you want to use Mamoswine, then I'd highly recommend running Jolly seeing how dominant Heatran is in the current metagame. A set like this would be the most effective:

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Outside of this, there's a few more niche moves that can be run like Knock Off, Superpower, Freeze-Dry, and Endeavor, but they're all sub-optimal compared to the rest. I'd recommend you run something alongside it that can threaten Steel- types such as Scizor and Celesteela as well as something that can switch in versus Water- types. For the former, Heatran comes to mind, and for the latter, Toxapex is a solid choice, but you can definitely find other teammates for it.

I was just playing a game a few moments ago and I busted a mimikyu’s disguise on a slow u turn and pulled in my alakazam thinking I would get Disguise via Trace, but did not. I suppose one could rationalize this by saying mimikyu’s ability at that point was spent - but it still has an ability right? It’s just a one time use ability. To me it makes sense mechanically that Trace would still copy the ability. Does anybody have any idea what the deal is here?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I was just playing a game a few moments ago and I busted a mimikyu’s disguise on a slow u turn and pulled in my alakazam thinking I would get Disguise via Trace, but did not. I suppose one could rationalize this by saying mimikyu’s ability at that point was spent - but it still has an ability right? It’s just a one time use ability. To me it makes sense mechanically that Trace would still copy the ability. Does anybody have any idea what the deal is here?
Trace can’t copy disguise.

Disguise along with other transformation abilities is hardcoded so that only Mimikyu can have which is why you couldn't get it through trace.

It would’ve been so much cooler though if I came in with zam and swept because that’s what was going to happen lol. Instead I got swept by mimikyu so I guess I learned something. Thanks!

i think thats how the interface is intended to look. if you choose a move on a pokemon in the builder even if it doesnt learn it, when you click / tap on the move it appears as not greyed out despite the pokemon not getting that move. sorry if i didnt explain this well lol
What you're saying is true if you've typed out the full name of the move and then clicked back into it, but I believe it is a real bug because this does not happen when you simply begin typing the move name for autocomplete, as we see in the screenshot.

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 4.15.47 PM.png

edit: cause im at work and didn't have shit else to do i played with this lol.
So it looks like if you do what I initially described, and add the move by fullname, then click out and back in so that it appears to be a legitimate move, and then delete that move, and begin typing again, the move you just deleted will appear in the list of valid moves below for autocomplete. So it would appear this is a bug, but it is a very, very minor edge case one and probly doesn't matter. tagging Noah Says ♪ cause u asked originally.

Last edited:
Quick question, as you can see in turn 34, opponent Magearna "evaded" Scald, is it a bug?, is it possible to miss 100% attacks now based on evasiveness?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-741172132

BTW, not sure what item was Magearna holding, might as well be Brightpowder or something, just want to make sure if is possible now to "evade" 100% accurate attacks randomly.

What changed from SM that made mega latios so much better?
I think is the drop in usage of ttar/mttar, the rise of heatran, which mlatios can check (non toxic variant) and lure in with eq/surf, Also mlatios can Revenge sd kartana and can check its Scarf variant. Also, megas being not that much needed, you could prefer use one with more bulk and power than its regular counterpart (mlatios vs latios)

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Quick question, as you can see in turn 34, opponent Magearna "evaded" Scald, is it a bug?, is it possible to miss 100% attacks now based on evasiveness?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-741172132

BTW, not sure what item was Magearna holding, might as well be Brightpowder or something, just want to make sure if is possible now to "evade" 100% accurate attacks randomly.
Your opponent never revealed an item so it's safe to assume that Magearna was holding Bright Powder. Instances like these are very rarely if ever caused by bugs because I don't think it's very likely that hotpatches and other changes to the ps code can mess with such a simple mechanic, if that were to happen more people would notice it happening in their games and it would probably be fixed very quickly but isolated cases like these can usually be explained with game mechanics

what is the big diffnrent between mega latias and mega latios?
i am always wondering that
they have quite a simliar movepool
i notice thier stats differ, but how much does that make it diffrent from each other?
this had bothered me for quite long........

GMars Edit: if you’re going to advertise, use your signature, not your post

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the big diffnrent between mega latias and mega latios?
i am always wondering that
they have quite a simliar movepool
i notice thier stats differ, but how much does that make it diffrent from each other?
this had bothered me for quite long........

https://discord.gg/WAgatQU

ou robin tour having sign ups in my server come and join
Probably more for SQSA but I will reply here and it can just get moved with the Q if needed.

Latias has superior bulk, which makes it the twin of choice for sets like Calm Mind, as it has an easier time setting up and staying alive, Latios has more immediate power so better takes advantage of powerful moves like Draco Meteor and Earthquake (EQ 'lures' Heatran and Tyranitar, which Latias cannot do). While the difference isn't huge, one's stats are just slightly more optimised for different roles than the other, you could probably use Calm Mind + Stored Power Latios, but there is no reason to when Latias' stats are just more suited to the job.

GMars Edit: Moved all these posts to SQSA. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
How viable is webs rn? I remember it took a huge hit when Mega Diancie came out but Diancie has sort of fallen off the face of the earth recently and isn’t super viable itself now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)