Slowly offensive-oriented Rain Team

'sup. I made a rain team and huh... I just hope to see your opinions, tips and stuff about it. My team is slowly offensive-oriented, since most of those Pokémon are tanks, they perform their tasks well. but you might never know.

Politoed (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
The lead of the battle. Sets up rain, nothing much to say about it. Hydro pump blasts anything that isn't Chansey, Blissey and [instert generic grass type here]. Focus blast takes care of Ferrothorn, ice beam takes care of dragons and such. Perish song is just there to intimidate setuppers and late-game sweepers. I choosed modest over timid because I don't need to revenge kill others, since Politoed is just there to "open the battle" and to attack in later turns.
Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
Scizor. Probably the best OU Pokémon. It takes most Pokémon around there, namely Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Celebi, Terrakion and more. U-turn just scouts opponent and instan-kills Tyranitar, Abomasnow and Celebi. Bullet punch takes down Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Abomasnow, Frosslass, and [insert ice type here]. Superpower and pursuit are mostly fillers. Superpower takes care of Chansey, Blissey, Magnezone, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Lucario and other steel types. Pursuit just puts Celebi in a checkmate position.
Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Roost
Latias might seem a weird choice for this role, since Latios is much better at that, but Latias actually can help me winning weather war against Ninetales, unlike Latios. Draco meteor just smash it out, Psyshock is just to beat calm mind Keldeo, Chansey and Blissey. Surf is just to abuse rain a bit more. Roost is just to recover life orb recoil and damage.
Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leech Seed
Why in Unova should I use Tangrowth in OU as physical wall, I mean, why? Principally because unlike Skarmory, it isn't totally screwed by taunt, plus it can put them to sleep, and then I can switch to an appropriate counter safely. Inside the rain It's even sturdier than before: not only fire attacks don't 1HKO him, but actually he can put foes to sleep, leaving them uneffective for the rest of the rounds. Salamence, Dragonite and such are no longer a problem with him in the field. It has a reliable recovery too, which increases its longevity in the field. The only physical attack it can't take is Heracross' megahorn, but actually Heracross isn't around that much in OU.
Slowking (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
Rotom-W and Jellicent are both better than Slowking as Special walls, but what makes Slowking so special? Actually It's his ability: Regenerator. With Renerator I have a reliable recovery that makes Slowking a deadly opponent to face. Moves are principally fillers, but thunder-wave is just used to make foes slower than him and mostly... Cripple choice scarf users. Usually Calm mind Slowking fits better this role (or Calm mind/Amnesia Slowbro), but actually Slowking has the potential to switch in and strike back.
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Magnezone finds its place there as supporter more than attacker. Actually just uses choice-locked Scizors and Ferrothorn as setup baits. If Ferrothorn places Stealth rocks first, then they must say goodbye to him and 1-2 teamates. Thunder just takes advantage of the power it can drain outta Ferrothorn, while HP ice is just used to take down ground types who try to wall it. Pro if foe pulls out a slower threat than Magnezone.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there.

I know I might be playing down on your Regenerator defensive core here, but I'm just really concerned about your team's ability to take Giga Drain Volcarona. Giga Drain, Fire Blast, Bug Buzz are all moves that will hurt your team substantially, especially since Volcarona has opportunities to come in on Tangrowth and Scizor, then set up. Politoed with Scarf can help this, but there's no guarantee that your opponent will just Giga Drain on the switch instead, in which case you'd be easy pickings for Volcarona sweeps. Magnezone, Scizor, and Latias are good Pokemon on your team that can pressure your opponent greatly with the steel+dragon synergy going on in the team. To make this better while addressing your weaknesses in the team, I'm going to suggest changing Tangrowth and Slowking for Amoonguss and Dragonite.

Amoonguss is a compromise between Regenerator, Sleep, and the resists that Tangrowth gives you on this team, and also has Clear Smog to help you deal with set up sweepers that may prove to be annoying. I also feel like it's better oriented for this type of team because its suited to take on Thundurus T because it has better special bulk. It's sturdier than Tangrowth in more important situations, as being specially bulky is probably better than being defensively bulky here -- furthermore, it helps you absorb toxic spikes and grants you an extra fighting resist, which is always pretty nifty.

I'm suggesting Dragonite because it works very well in tandem with Magnezone, hits harder than Slowking depending on the sets you want to use, and really helps you a ton against that Volcarona weakness that I'm seeing on this team. You can use the multiscale shuffler set for support, or you could try the Rain mixed attacker with Thunder/Hurricane/Aqua Tail/ExtremeSpeed, which is great utility and power for a pokemon boasting great bulk like Dragonite. Your Slowking seems to try and blast holes in the opposing team's core, but I think Dragonite has more opportunities to switch in while still addressing your weaknesses (also it takes very good advantage of the rain).

Amoonguss@ Black Sludge
Calm 252hp/28 Satk/228 SpD
Giga Drain/Spore/Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb

Dragonite@ Life Orb
Mild 252 SpA/180 Spe/76Atk
Hurricane/Thunder/ExtremeSpeed/Aqua Tail

Good luck with the team, hope I gave you some new ideas.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there, you seem to be trying to make defensive pokemon into offensive threats. Not a bad idea, but I think you can optimize your sets a bit better.

First of all, on Slowking a trick room variant could help support your team a lot better than using thunder wave. Trick room allows your entire party to be threats to their faster pokemon instead of just one pokemon that was inflicted by the paralysis.

Additionally, ferrothorn is pretty problematic to your team. You do have Magnezone, but it's going to get up all the hazards against your team. There are pokemon that are designated to be suicide leads and you essentially get to take out maybe 2 (RARELY3) pokemon but your opponent gets to choose one of them at the cost of your team not being able to switch as freely. I think you should replace leech seed on tangrowth for something like knock off or Focus Blast. Leech seed gives your opponent free switch ins to their grass type and it really isn't enough damage.

Hi there, nice team!
I would suggest you replace the scarf on Politoed with a leftovers or, if you want to go offensive, LO.
This is because a scarf on politoed means that ninetales actually wins the weather war vs Politoed, a major disadvantage.
Also, being choice-locked into perish song is REALLY not a good idea.
Best of luck!

Dead Whiz

okay dude
your team is cool but there are some things that I would like to advise
first of all, you don't take the work of your team, but you limit yourself to only create a random damage
which is why I thought I'd take advantage of your random damage to win more easily and I'll explain why: the core slowking - latias is really nice indeed them 2 are able to put pressure to pokémon as tyranitar which is an essential factor for your team because kill the opponent summoner is the basis for the victory, but there is also to say that tyranitar in turn could destroy this so what better way to exploit in turn tyranitar? (scizor) behold, I suggest you do Scizor sword dancer.
Now, WHERE ARE THE SR? the latter are fucking important for any team, especially your needing to wear down the opponent as much as possible! then you must do a noticeable change but essential for your team: Tangrowth; this because right now it's just a pain in the ass then you can try a more effective Landorus-t, this still has the role of Tangrowth but unlike her he has the SR and thanks to U-Turn landorus-t can also create both direct and indirect damage.
yet I suggest you change the latias' set,making it subcminder, so as to put more pressure on the rain and sunny teams; finally you can try trick room in slowking on thunder wave.

Scizor @ Leftovers
252 hp / 40 atk / 216 spd - adamant
sword dance - bug bite - bullet punch - roost
I chose this set because because only the steel checks this set and thanks to magnezone you can trap them

Latias @ Leftovers
252 hp / 4 satk / 252 spd - timid
substitute - calm mind - recover - dragon pulse
the sunny teams are very weak to this set and you, thanks to slowking, can kill tyranitar or encourage the work of scizor

Landorus-T @ leftovers
200 HP / 158 Def / 152 spd - naive
earthquake - stealth rock - uturn - hp ice
okay the set is standard, but the evs in speed serve to overcome lucario and dragonite, while hp ice is important for opponent landorus-t and gliscor

Hi there.
Amoonguss@ Black Sludge
Calm 252hp/28 Satk/228 SpD
Giga Drain/Spore/Clear Smog/Sludge Bomb

Dragonite@ Life Orb
Mild 252 SpA/180 Spe/76Atk
Hurricane/Thunder/ExtremeSpeed/Aqua Tail

Good luck with the team, hope I gave you some new ideas.
Amoongus is a great addition to the team, and I like the part where lower tier Pokémon take their places in OU. About Dragonite, It's a great addition. Too. But instead of the mixed rain, rain tank works better in this case. I just picked the one in Smogon with a sassy nature instead. (as tank, Dragonite doesn't need to be fast)
Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 108 SAtk / 148 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Dragon Tail
- Roost

But instead, I think I might need hazards, and a spinner.

okay dude
your team is cool but there are some things that I would like to advise
first of all, you don't take the work of your team, but you limit yourself to only create a random damage
which is why I thought I'd take advantage of your random damage to win more easily and I'll explain why: the core slowking - latias is really nice indeed them 2 are able to put pressure to pokémon as tyranitar which is an essential factor for your team because kill the opponent summoner is the basis for the victory, but there is also to say that tyranitar in turn could destroy this so what better way to exploit in turn tyranitar? (scizor) behold, I suggest you do Scizor sword dancer.
Now, WHERE ARE THE SR? the latter are fucking important for any team, especially your needing to wear down the opponent as much as possible! then you must do a noticeable change but essential for your team: Tangrowth; this because right now it's just a pain in the ass then you can try a more effective Landorus-t, this still has the role of Tangrowth but unlike her he has the SR and thanks to U-Turn landorus-t can also create both direct and indirect damage.
yet I suggest you change the latias' set,making it subcminder, so as to put more pressure on the rain and sunny teams; finally you can try trick room in slowking on thunder wave.

Scizor @ Leftovers
252 hp / 40 atk / 216 spd - adamant
sword dance - bug bite - bullet punch - roost
I chose this set because because only the steel checks this set and thanks to magnezone you can trap them

Latias @ Leftovers
252 hp / 4 satk / 252 spd - timid
substitute - calm mind - recover - dragon pulse
the sunny teams are very weak to this set and you, thanks to slowking, can kill tyranitar or encourage the work of scizor

Landorus-T @ leftovers
200 HP / 158 Def / 152 spd - naive
earthquake - stealth rock - uturn - hp ice
okay the set is standard, but the evs in speed serve to overcome lucario and dragonite, while hp ice is important for opponent landorus-t and gliscor
I wouldn't sound rude or anything, but your sets aren't that useful.
Scizor: If a foe Magnezone comes in and traps it I can't u-turn or attack it with superpower, which will make the SD set kinda useless.
Latias: sun teams carry Heatran for a reason, and this is pretty much that. Your set gets easily walled by Heatran. It can either come in and roar Latias away.
Landorus-T: Lucario isn't good as it was in DP, so It's not much a problem, while Dragonite, Landorus-T and Gliscor aren't that dangerous inside the rain, considering that scarfed Politoed outspeeds both.

There's 2 threats that threaten your team like dogs to cats after they set up: Dragonite and Volcorona. Literally, 1 Dragon Dance/Quiver Dance set up, and you'll get swept (quite possible because Dragonite can set up with ease because of Multiscale and Volcorona on Tangrowth, Magnezone, and Scizor).

This is faulted a lot due to the lack of Stealth Rock on your team, though even with Stealth Rock, they can still wreck shop. Breaking Multiscale/taking 50% of health makes it a lot harder for them to set up. Therefore, I suggest using Focus Sash Terrakion over one of your non-Politoed pokemon, as it gives you stealth rock and rids of your Ferrothorn weakness. Politoed might be able to Focus blast it, but what if it misses? And what if your opponent predicts as such and just switches out?

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Focus Sash Terrakion glues your team together, and takes care of all the problems your team currently has stated above. It sets up Stealth Rock, leaves Ferrothorn crying, and, most importantly, checks Dragonite and Volcorona. I sincerely suggest that you replace one of your team members with this monster, and you won't be let down.

Hope I helped
~ Hugo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)