Smashpass Team (peaked #51 in ps)

I was running a sand team, when i got the idea of using cloyster. This team started as a sand team with cloyster, but now its a rain team relying on cloyster instead of rain...
Anyway, here it is:

Smeargle@focus sash
Own tempo
Jolly(+spe-spa)/timid(+spe-atk)
128def/128spd/252spe
~shell smash
~baton pass
~spore
~magic coat

The first thing i realized when building a team around cloyster was that it had a hard time setting up, and this is where smeargle comes in. By passing a shell smash cloyster becomes a deadly sweeper forcing many rage quits. Spore is for safe swich ins magic coat is for taunt users like deoxys-s, I love trolling taunt leads with it!

Cloyster@life orb
Skill link
Naive
232atk/32spa/244spe
~shell smash
~icicle spear
~rock blast
~hydro pump

Cloyster. The focus of this team. Just one shell smash (from smeargle, gorebyss or cloyster itself) and its a deadly sweeper! Even sash and sub doesnt stop it. Not much else to say...

Arceus@life orb
Multitype
Adamant (+atk-spe)
4hp/252atk/252spe
~extremespeed
~earthquake
~shadow claw
~recover

Arceus won the spot instead of dialga. He is even better at dealing with ekiller arceus (like himself :-P) than dialga was and he can even afford 2hkoing more pokes than dialga could because of recover. Nothing else to say

Kyogre@choice scarf
Drizzle
Modest(+spa-atk)
4hp/252spa/252spe
~thunder
~water spout
~surf
~icebeam

After some playtesting i realized that i needed another smashpasser. The choice were between gorebyss and huntail. I choose gorebyss and she require some rain support... kyogre! This is a scarf set to take revenge on the foolish (and lucky) pokemon who kill cloyster. It also works as a smashpass recipent.

Gorebyss/white herb
Swift swim
Modest(+spa-atk)
4hp/252spa/252spe
~shell smash
~baton pass
~hydro pump
~icebeam

My secondary smashpasser. It can even sweep a weakened team! Nothing else to say.*

Wobbufett@leftovers
Shadow tag
Sassy
252hp/128def/128spd
~counter
~mirror coat
~splash
~encore

Wobbufett can help gorebyss and cloyster set up and can kill some treatening pokes...*
Edit: splash is there because it will let it win against opposing wobbufetts and i didnt realy use desriny bond...

Yeah this was the team. Please rate. And if any of you got questions, then feel free to ask - i will gladly (try to) answer. Thanks for reading!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

you've got a pretty solid team; however there are some pretty large holes you should fix. First off, having Cloyster is redundant. It has really really bad SpD, making it a pretty bad idea for Ubers, and though it can Shell Smash for a sweep there are much better recipients that don't have to use a team slot boosting the same stats they received boosts from already. Your team is also weak to phazing; the numerous Roarers and Dragon Tailers will quickly wear down your team. You also lack strong recipients that can use the extra boosts.

I think it is a good idea to replace Cloyster with Normal Arceus- at just +2, it is very capable of sweeping teams, and it is not afraid of priority because it will always outspeed the opponent with Extremespeed. Having a physical attacker will also help a lot; it will help you break past walls such as opposing Kyogre, Blissey, or Lugia.

Arceus-Normal @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
~Extremespeed
~Shadow Force
~Earthquake
~Recover / Brick Break

Shadow Force is for Giratina, and EQ hits Steels (bar Skarmory and Bronzong) very hard. Recover is better on the last slot, but if you want to be able to hit Skarm / Bronzong (neither who are very common nowadays) Brick Break is also an option.

That's about it. Good luck!

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't really rate much and I hate smashpass so I cba to give this a full rate (sorry :( ) but at least bump Dialga up to 176 Speed EVs so it can outspeed Scarf Terrakion after a smashpass. It's a negligible loss of bulk and a significant threat to outspeed and it annoys me to no end when people run extremely slow Dialgas that are the recipient of a Shell Smash.

Also @ Electrolyte Magic Coat has +4 priority...

Thanks for your rates!
@electrolyte i tested your arceus... And i liked it! (exept shadow force...) But i like cloyster more... I tried to replace dialga with it (i hate dialga!) And now im even better! If cloyster dies from a priority then i can comeback with arceus. And about the phazing. If they are against smeargle, i just spore before they can phaze. I know the risk of it wakes up and i also know its a treat but the swich in can (try to) handle it. If on the other hand the phazer is up against cloyster (after a smashpass) it really isnt a treat usually koed. Thanks for the rates!

If you didn't like Shadow Force you can always try Shadow Claw. Dialga, by the way, is the ideal SmashPass receipient in Ubers due to resisting Extremespeed and not giving a shit about Toxic Spikes.

I know dialga is good but arceus/cloyster is (for some reason) better... (dont know why). But thanks for the shadow claw!

There isn't much to rate about a smashpass team as it only has 1 playing method in a battle. As others have suggested, have a Dialga to receive your boosts as it is almost impossible to stop once it has the boosts. I personally hate smashpass as it only really works on "noobs" or unprepared teams.

^That, except that just about every team is unprepared by your definition, since SmashPass (at least when I tested it) was very successful, with a minimum of 95% win rate.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there cakeman, I have a few suggestions for your team.

Firstly, why did you disregard Dialga as your main Baton Pass receiver? It's by far the best receiver due to its extremely wide coverage, brute fruce, and great stats. Moreover, even at +2, Arceus is walled by a lot of things such as Giratina and bulky Ghost Arceus. Dialga, however, can easily get past them with a one shot Dragon Pulse once boosted.

Dialga @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd
Rash Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break

The EV spread allows Dialga to outspeed Scarf Terrakion after the SmashPass boost. Dialga's coverage is insane, and once its grabbed its boost its literally impossible to stop. Heck, even Chansey, who would otherwise beat Dialga, has 43.75% to be OHKOed by +2 Brick Break after Stealth Rock. Thanks to its typing, Dialga is resistant to Ubers' common priority moves, namely ExtremeSpeed, Bullet Punch, and Shadow Sneak. Unlike Arceus, this set is not stopped by any Pokemon in the game, besides the bulkiest of the bulkiest in Ubers. You can tweak the EVs to secure the KO on Chansey with Stealth Rock; that would mean using 208 Attack EVs, which I don't really advice doing because it makes Dialga's other moves, which are the main, weaker.

Now Dialga really appreciates entry hazards, and so is every other member of your team. The best candidate for this is Deoxys-S. I would use it over Gorebyss, to not stack many weaknesses with Kyogre and Cloyster. Gorebyss may be a good SmashPasser, but with Dialga in your squad, you only need to pull the Baton Pass once. Not only that, but Deoxys-S can also set up Dual Screens, so your team will tank hits better.

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt / Magic Coat / Spikes

Deoxys-S can support your main sweeper, Dialga, and secondary sweeper, Cloyster, with Stealth Rock, that can score many OHKOs and 2HKOs, such as against Chansey. Light Screen and Reflect can support the sweepers by reducing the damage, and the last move slot is up to preference. Taunt's and Magic Coat's goal is to keep hazards off the field. Each has its bonuses; Taunt's requires less prediction, whereas Magic Coat beats Ditto leads that may want to setup Stealth Rock against you. Spikes provides a fantastic aid to your sweepers. You can go with both Taunt and Magic Coat over the Dual Screens, and if you do that, use Focus Sash as the item instead.

I STRONGLY recommend Safeguard > Splash on Wobbuffet, as it gives your team insurance against status which can be really useful instead of wasting a moveslot.

Now this change are optional. I suggest using Roar > Magic Coat on Smeargle, because while Magic Coat does stop Whirlwind and Roar, it does not stop Dragon Tail. Thanks to the Speed boost from Shell Smash, Smeargle's Roar will go first against any common phazer, which allows you to keep your boosts.

• Dialga > Arceus
  • Deoxys-S > Gorebyss
  • Optional: a moveset of Spikes / Stealth Rock / Taunt / Magic Coat with Focus Sash as the item on Deoxys-S
  • Safeguard > Splash on Wobbuffet
  • Optional: Roar > Magic Coat on Smeargle

That's it, good luck.

Thanks Furai! Your suggestions look good! Im gonna test thm asap. But are you gonna lead with deo-s? I normally lead with smeargle... And dialga has thunder, does that mean i have to get rain up? Anyway thanks for your rates!

Lead smeargle is too predictable and will lose 100% of the time to anything with a lum (groudon, ekiller, kyogre, ttar, ray). Deo-s is good because it can prevent hazards on your side as well as setting up your own otherwise pokes like skarm/lugia can just phase you away without getting OHKO'd. Having a forry or possibly xatu (can use screens) is a decent idea but if you use them your team will look like any other smash pass team as they are all essentially the same.

IMO if you want to get better and higher up the ladder (#51 is nowhere near good), make an actual team as smashpassing can only get you so far.

And really @lousy918, I call bullshit on 95% winrate with a smashpass team as I rarely lose to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)