Smocon Toronto 2013: DM gets a DS

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Greeting Ladies and Gentlemen of a forum, I am here to let you know of a night where lives were changed and where as blue DS changed hands. You may ask why a DS needed to change hands, well user DM bought a spare one off of user feathers, however feathers couldn’t get it past the border so it was sent to me so DM could come pick it up. DM decided he really needed to trade pokemon with himself so he got together a bunch of the Toronto via the facebook. To preface here is my story from two years ago at the last event. The attendees from this year were, in order of seating at the bar (seating becomes important later):

-Layell: Also your valliant storyteller and the person holding onto the blue DS phat.
-Gene/G80: One of the USAians (I refuse to call them “Americans”) who came in his attempt to settle is ever long feud with user Jackal.
-DM: The user with the most prolific post to competitive battling experience ratio in the community, he is a lawyer now and probably secretly sent a DS back to feathers just to have the chance to see me (this is how I like to imagine things).
Jackal: I think he drank the most out of all of us, fulfilled a lifelong desire to shoot G80.
-snkz: An awesome guy who does tech things I cannot understand, knows where to buy good sammies. The combination of meh camera, and crappy bar lighting makes his skin tone impossible to see in these videos but I assure you he was there.
-Texas Cloverleaf: Who sadly did not bring his cowboy hat, but did bring the same amount of swagger that one would have if they wore a coybow hat.
-Ripcord: Jackal’s partner in crime, while no longer a Citizen Cane his only other running joke now was that he still never uses his smogon account.

The plan was to go to Snakes and Lattes, which is a bar/game place, it is notorious for having wait times and we were a seven person group. Normally they only seat six but we squeezed in anyways because DM and I sweet talked the waiters.

Here is a video of us going to another bar.

DM is nervous about Canada and all the mean streets he hears about, I think Rob Ford got his crack from this very street here.

Anyways before we could get to another bar Snakes and Lattes called to let us know we could come over. So we went back to play some board games. Sabatouer makes it’s appearance at the Smocon Toronto again, although it isn’t played until the end of the night.

The first game we play is a little mafia sort of game called BANG. One person is a sheriff and he is the only public role. The rest of the secret roles are two deputies who want to protect the sheriff, three outlaws who want to end the sheriff, and a renegade who wants to be the last person standing and needs the sheriff dead last. Random character traits are passed out that can change playstyles (G80 could play more than one BANG or shoot card a turn, I had to reveal the second card I drew and if it was heart I could draw again, Ripcord could take the cards of an eliminated player). Now normally you can only shoot the person next to you at the table, Jackal finds a way around this.

The roles were Gene as sheriff, snkz was renegade, DM/Texas were deputies, leaving Jackal, Ripcord and myself as the outlaws. Here is the last round where sweet victory is obtained.

It was a fun game for sure, I’m going to try to bring it to Circus because it was a blast and is really replayable. Jackal had the great idea to play the original Pokemon board game.

Though as fun as this game is, sometimes you don’t get what you want or what you expect.

Though the game takes way too long

snkz gets way too many Pokemon and things like this happen

Jackal figures stuff out and gets to the end finally.

Pokemon Highlights:
-Nobody catching things at high levels
-Me stealing Ripcords Gyrados, Rip gets the chance to trade back, but opts for the Articuno that was recently caught
-DM catches Mewtwo but remains helpless against much else
-Masterball miss
-penny clefairy

Afterwards we played two rounds of Sabatouer but without Brain we didn’t have much idea of what we were doing and it was just a random crazy night. I then had to get home but since busses up North from Toronto shut down past midnight I ended up walking most of the way home, so making the most of it I had about 18 minutes of video left and filmed this finale.

Props:
-DM for pulling us all together last minute to get a DS and have fun
-Snakes and Lattes for letting us seat an extra person
-The English subtitles on those Italian BANG cards

Slops:
-Gene for trying to be better than Jackal
-Late busses for North York
-Combined bar tabs

Hopefully some of the other attendees can post some stuff too but I don’t think anyone else pulled out a camera. See you all next time and I hope this inspired some of you to get around to meeting other smogon users.

Last edited:

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fun night all around, if anyone ever wants to chill in the t.dot just let me know.

I came to see DM and crush gene but I have to say I stayed to hear more and more of Layell's epic laugh. That thing is a real treat. Mind of its own.

moi you don't have a say unless you show up, pussy.

final thoughts... don't f with me in Pokemon Master Trainer.

ALSO: whose camera has the group pic at the end?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I WOULD HAVE GONE TO CANADA NATS IF I KNEW THIS WAS HAPPENING THE SAME WEEKEND

Well no I wouldn't have but you are all lovely people and I want to see you :(

first i was proud of you for using pink ash, then it got even better when you caught nidoran and i could forgive you for the terrible puns you were making, but then nidoran fainted and now i don't think we can be friends anymore

in other news thanks for delivering the DS, that was important and only took like 6 months. 9_9

i swear i'll come out to toronto at some point for one of these, going to a bar and playing board games and stuff is very near to the top of my list of things i enjoy doing. additionally i want to see all the things from scott pilgrim

i also happen to have pokemon monopoly and that very boardgame you played so maybe it can see some action at worlds...

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

I'm sorry to Layell and Texas Cloverleaf (who had already left), the five of us just kept hanging around and shooting the shit, and right as I was about to cross the street to my car I remembered I had my camera so we snapped a quick shot. Turned out real well though!

I fucking loved Snakes and Lattés, we definitely need to hit that place again. Amazing games, amazing beers, amazing time.

EDIT: also holy shit I'm gargantuan

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah the Layell Laugh is making the rounds, I do think my one at the end of the smogcast was pretty good too.

Honest Ed's is pretty legit, I went in before the event and dang stuff so cheap but I don't want to drag everything around so I buy nothing.

I have all the BANG cards, prepare circus for its arrival via internet form.

Snakes and Lattes can happen any time, or we just need food and booze that works too, more people equals harder to get tables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)