CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 7a

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think No Ability is necessarily selfish =/ I didn't vote for it, because I thought: I got what I want, fuck everybody else. I voted for it, because I thought no second ability was better than the available options.

I don't think No Ability is necessarily selfish =/ I didn't vote for it, because I thought: I got what I want, fuck everybody else. I voted for it, because I thought no second ability was better than the available options.
I understand this, but if there's reasoning why not give a second ability? Honestly, Air Lock is a very circumstantial ability, mainly used for Tyranitar countering. There is Pokemon logic support for it, so why not is my opinion. And I don't see how no option can be better than options.

What if he doesn't want no ability. Actually, one of the main reasons for text based polls is so that you can change them. People are meant to persuade others in these polls, not just post a vote and leave like they do in most other ones (compare the numbers of votes in a poll to number of people posting most of the time).

Anyways, voting is closed now. I no longer know what the next poll is going to be because of the results being so close. I really feel like declaring the winner of this the winner, just because that's what this poll was meant to do.

(Additionally, I find the vote for no ability very selfish, you get the ability you want and don't want other people to have another option. The no ability option was originally an afterthought, just because it was needed for completeness and not so that people could get greedy.)
Selfish? I just don't think any of the other abilities capture him as well as shed skin did. I'm sure many pokemon would benefit from two abilities -- but not all have them.

My personal vision of this pokemon has one ability, just because your vision has two doesn't make mine selfish. I think you are being selfish by insulting my views when I did nothing of the sort to you.

I don't mean to come off sounding arrogant, but I noticed how quite a few people changed their votes to Insomnia after my posts, and how votes in general picked up in favor of Insomnia after my posts.

In an ideal world there would be another poll where the arguments for Insomnia are laid out in the first post, seeing as the main reason it lost is because of peoples' ignorance, and the fact that once people vote, most of them don't read through the entire thread (and those who vote when the thread is already several pages long don't always read the arguments put forth earlier on).

Hyra, not to be rude or anything, but I really think this poll didn't do justice to Insomnia. I realize that any poll is always going to have its downsides, and that by making it a "discussion poll" you've already gone a long way to making it more balanced. I'm just frustrated that I didn't see this topic sooner and have the chance to post earlier.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
give it hidden power
Yeah! Because everybody knows that Hidden Power is the best ability ever devised! We should have it as the ability for our new Pokemon! =/ Sarcasm, by the way. Hidden Power is a) a move, not an ability, which is what we're going through, and b) given to almost every Pokemon in the game anyways. Exceptions include Wobbuffet and Magikarp.

Personally, I'm wondering why No Ability has been so popular as of late. I don't think Shed Skin fits the thing much better than most of the other abilities, Skin =/= Bandages. I don't see how taking off your bandages and putting new ones on helps when you're paralyzed, poisoned, etc. But, since Shed Skin is going to be an ability anyhow, this was mainly to the argument that the other things don't fit it as well, and therefore, it doesn't need a second ability.

There's no issue with it not having a second ability though, plenty of things don't.

I don't think Shed Skin fits the thing much better than most of the other abilities, Skin =/= Bandages. I don't see how taking off your bandages and putting new ones on helps when you're paralyzed, poisoned, etc.
And care the explain how shedding skin cure paralysis, being poison, burns, frozen alive, etc?

Magmortified

And care the explain how shedding skin cure paralysis, being poison, burns, frozen alive, etc?
Looking at it from a possible point of view:

Poison/Burning: These two are probably only skin-deep. Nothing that can't be solved by getting rid of the skin. Darn tougher to do with bandages.

Paralysis: Eh, I'm still wondering on this one. The best explanation I can come up with is that the body loosens up any muscles to help get the thing out of the skin. If Limber tells us anything, it's probably enough to get you out of paralysis, and the skin.

Sleeping: Everything doesn't just shut down when you go to sleep. It's probably a body reaction that's telling you it's time get out of that skin, regardless if you're currently sleeping.

Frozen: You got me here.

I'm basing a lot of this on speculation.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Ok look, shed skin doesn't have to be perfect.

If it had to be perfect it would be "shed status" .

It is just supposed to sound "good" and this thing having bandages means that it could easily replace them after ditchin the burnt ones

>_>

Magmortified

Ok look, shed skin doesn't have to be perfect.
Then, most of the other abilities wouldn't have to be either.

It is just supposed to sound "good" and this thing having bandages means that it could easily replace them after ditchin the burnt ones
If you did get burnt, it wouldn't just be the bandages that smell like they're cooking. I can't quite imagine why your skin wouldn't be burned if your clothes were on fire.

I've thought that Revenankh doesn't have a body proper, rather it is layer upon layer of silk. If you were to unravel it completely, there would be nothing left.

As for shed skin, sil/cascoon sheds its coccoon rather than its skin, so I don't think its a bad idea, just not well named.

I don't mean to come off sounding arrogant, but I noticed how quite a few people changed their votes to Insomnia after my posts, and how votes in general picked up in favor of Insomnia after my posts.

In an ideal world there would be another poll where the arguments for Insomnia are laid out in the first post, seeing as the main reason it lost is because of peoples' ignorance, and the fact that once people vote, most of them don't read through the entire thread (and those who vote when the thread is already several pages long don't always read the arguments put forth earlier on).

Hyra, not to be rude or anything, but I really think this poll didn't do justice to Insomnia. I realize that any poll is always going to have its downsides, and that by making it a "discussion poll" you've already gone a long way to making it more balanced. I'm just frustrated that I didn't see this topic sooner and have the chance to post earlier.
Arguments aren't in the first post so that the first post is unbiased. It simply shows the reader the ability and its description and allows them to extrapolate what they can or can't do with that ability from there. I can't write an unbiased view of everything in the open, so I don't. If I did write more in-depth analysis's (what is the plural for analysis...) for the abilities, people would attack me for not doing their choice justice.

I'm really not sure how to call this. If I were to break the tie, it would obviously be in favor of Air Lock. I'm gonna wait and see what some people I respect think we should do.

Poison/Burning: These two are probably only skin-deep. Nothing that can't be solved by getting rid of the skin. Darn tougher to do with bandages.
Burn: I don't think so. Most move that does inflict burn are fire attacks and as we all know, Fire = Fucking Hot. I have a hunch that most times, pokemon suffering from burn are second to third degree burn. Those kind of burns are very, very deep in the flesh. Something a simple sheding of the skin wouldn't heal.

Poison: In the blood steam via injection or inhaling it.

Paralysis: Eh, I'm still wondering on this one. The best explanation I can come up with is that the body loosens up any muscles to help get the thing out of the skin. If Limber tells us anything, it's probably enough to get you out of paralysis, and the skin.
Okay you got me since I can see Limber does imply something about loose muscles.

Sleeping: Everything doesn't just shut down when you go to sleep. It's probably a body reaction that's telling you it's time get out of that skin, regardless if you're currently sleeping.
Kinda farfetch'd (no pun intended) if you ask me. Most creatures that shed are awake and need to be since predators could easily make a meal out of sleeping shedder.

Frozen: You got me here.
Indeed. I had a feeling that you was going to say "Frostbite" but then you're losing limbs and digits which isn't helping you.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The "No ability" ability vote is a little silly to me. If it's all tied up, I think you should either break the tie or have a one-day tiebreaker poll. Personally, I think you should break the tie now and be done with it. We need to keep this moving along. Let's get on to the next topic. As for Insomnia, I personally voted for it. But, I don't think we should re-run the poll.

Personally, I voted for No ability, but i have to agree with Doug. If it Cloud Nine is winning by a small margin against No Ability, just give it Cloud Nine and be done with it. If it makes it broken, we can always remove it later

Magmortified

Burn: I don't think so. Most move that does inflict burn are fire attacks and as we all know, Fire = Fucking Hot. I have a hunch that most times, pokemon suffering from burn are second to third degree burn. Those kind of burns are very, very deep in the flesh. Something a simple sheding of the skin wouldn't heal.
In the case of those like Silcoon, the thinkness of the "skin" they're shedding is probably enough to remove most, if not all of the burned area. In the slightly more reptilian things, the scales might do something to prevent a burn from going too deep. But then, I'm hardly a biology major.

Poison: In the blood steam via injection or inhaling it.
Eh, it depends on your perception of the poison attack in question. As a large amount of this is left to the imagination...

Kinda farfetch'd (no pun intended) if you ask me. Most creatures that shed are awake and need to be since predators could easily make a meal out of sleeping shedder.
But since the shedding skin process is slightly more instantaneous and involuntary in the Pokemon world, it's easier to wake up and wriggle out before much else happens. Silcoon and the like are kind of easy bait anyways.

It's hard to say whether another poll should be done, have another vote be cast to decide it, or if the numbers are enough. Need a final tally to decide. If Air Lock is within 5-10% of No Ability, just give it to Air Lock. It's not like another ability is being shoved out for it, and it's mostly inferior to Shed Skin on this Pokemon anyway.

If it's close enough to do another poll, I'd say do at most a 24 hour standard poll rather than a post poll. That way as soon as it ended the next step could instantly be started, since I agree with DJD this needs to move on to the next step.

I'm really not sure how to call this. If I were to break the tie, it would obviously be in favor of Air Lock. I'm gonna wait and see what some people I respect think we should do.
I know I might be biased here, but to me it's a no brainer. What we have is a tie between two options. Normally, I would say you should run a tie-breaker poll, but there are 2 important things to consider. First of all, this is already the second Ability Poll. More importantly, Air Lock is STRICTLY BETTER than No Ability.

Seriously, anyone not wanting Air Lock just has to NOT USE IT. Why stop others from using it? And don't bring up the argument of balance, because that is irrelevant. Not only is Air Lock extremely situational, but we can always change it if it gets out of hand.

Fact remains that there is interest in making a cycle of whether Pokemon. In that case, I would argue we almost NEED an Air Lock user as a part of that cycle.

In the case of those like Silcoon, the thickness of the "skin" they're shedding is probably enough to remove most, if not all of the burned area. In the slightly more reptilian things, the scales might do something to prevent a burn from going too deep. But then, I'm hardly a biology major.
Same here but I don't know that scales/exoskeletons doesn't help much when it comes to burns.

Eh, it depends on your perception of the poison attack in question. As a large amount of this is left to the imagination...
Poison Sting, Poison Fang, Poison Tail, Poison Jab, Cross Poison: Injection of vemon/poison through pyshical contact using something sharp.

Toxic Spike: Stepping on poisonous spikes, not the shedding away.

Gunk Shot, Poison Gas, Smog, Toxic, Sludge(Bomb), Acid, Poisopowder: Okay...you got me here since I could see something shedding out of it's skin beore the poison get into it's blood steam.

But since the shedding skin process is slightly more instantaneous and involuntary in the Pokemon world, it's easier to wake up and wriggle out before much else happens. Silcoon and the like are kind of easy bait anyways.
True and I have to give the sleeping option to you there since I forgot to mix in a nice balance of pokemon logic and real world logic into my statment.

BTW, the main reason I'm arguing this is because people seem to think that a mummy can't have Shed Skin because it doesn't have skin, but Shed Skin in on itself is kinda flawed logic.

I know I might be biased here, but to me it's a no brainer. What we have is a tie between two options. Normally, I would say you should run a tie-breaker poll, but there are 2 important things to consider. First of all, this is already the second Ability Poll. More importantly, Air Lock is STRICTLY BETTER than No Ability.

Seriously, anyone not wanting Air Lock just has to NOT USE IT. Why stop others from using it? And don't bring up the argument of balance, because that is irrelevant. Not only is Air Lock extremely situational, but we can always change it if it gets out of hand.

Fact remains that there is interest in making a cycle of weather Pokemon. In that case, I would argue we almost NEED an Air Lock user as a part of that cycle.
Air Lock is worse in that it takes an ability that was formerly held solely by a legendary and gives it to a generic pokemon.

While to give a pokemon two abilities makes it more versatile than if it had only one, that only benefits those who are using it. The reason why people may wish for [insert name of mummy pokemon here] to not possess Air Lock is that they may not wish to fight it while it is possession of that ability or bear the thought that it may have that ability. The emotions associated with those repugnances are just as strong as those associated with your desire to use that ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)