ORAS OU So you think you're punny eh?

So you think you're punny eh?​

So I decided to give Lopunny a try after playing with Gallade for a while and ended up loving the fighting bunny. I decided to use my Tyranitar/Excadrill/Greninja core from my previous RMT so you'll see some similar things as well as some changes. Don't be afraid to give some advice or make changes to my team as I'm always looking to better myself. Hope you enjoy this team as much as I do.

Lopunny was always made fun of for it's appearance though I never minded it. Now with it's Mega form it's no longer a joke and I wanted to builda team around it.

First a lead to drop Stealth Rock on the field and Ttar was nice choice with his sand further wearing down opponents and messing with teams who like to abuse Mega Swampert in the rain. Bonus points to the fact he could pursuit trap some annoying leads like Jirachi and Celebi and threaten Mega Latias.

I needed a spinner to get rid of hazards from the opposing team as they make life hell and generally get on my nerves. Excadrill was a perfect choice as not only can he spin them away but he is the perfect partner with Tyranitar and could serve as a backup cleaner with sand up. He also serves as means to deal with Fairies that plague both Tyranitar and Gallade.

Mega Salamence, Greninja and several new megas are quite threatening to this team so I needed some that could handle them most of the time. Porygon2 was the perfect answer to that. It's great bulk, recovery and decent offensive help take out MegaMence and other problems.

The team was looking good but I had a weakness to status as well as issues with stall. I also had several Pokemon that were weak to Ground, Grass, and Fighting. Togekiss was the perfect match being immune to Ground while resisting Grass and Fighting. More importantly it also could cure any status issues the team may have and heal off my worn down team mate with bulky Wishes.

With all the other roles covered I needed a revenge killer to tie things up. Greninja came straight to mind with its great speed, amazing coverage and STAB on all it's moves thanks to it's ability. I also needed another mon to handle fairies if Excadrill was out of the picture.

Since I am darn sure Mega Salamence will be booted to Ubers Porygon2 lost it's main niche for my team. As suggested by Albacore Celebi makes a great replace and forms a solid Pokemon to my team covering several threats to the team like Mega Heracross and Mega Venusaur.

After looking the team over I decided that Talonflame would make a better stallbreaker then Togekiss and still have good synergy with several members. It also further helped with my Mega Heracross problem and can take on several of the fast new Megas introduced in ORAS

Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide

The team's lead and stealth rock setter as well as my support for Excadrill. Tyranitar's job is to get off SR immediately and setup sand for Excadrill. After setting up SR it's best to switch out to save for setting up sand later for Excadrill unless the team has no checks for the speedy mole which would be baffling to say the least. Fire Blast was chosen to fry common steel leads like Ferrothorn and Skamory. Rock Slide allows me to check Talonflame on switch, Choice Band locked one's (can be risky though) and the rare Talonflame that isn't packing Roost. Ttar still has to beware of the Talonfalmes that can cripple it with WoW and the Bulk Up variants which will just use Ttar as setup bait. Ice Beam let's Ttar lure out Gliscor and Landorus-T. Tyranitar's man synergy is of course with my Sand Rush Excadrill which need's sand up to got to town once he's checks/counters have been taken out. Tyranitar also has some nice synergy with Lopunny checking the ever threatening birdspam from the likes of Talonflame, Mega Pinsir and Staraptor.

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

The mole that flies through the sands Excadrill serves as this teams late game sweeper when his checks are gone. He also serves as my hazard spinner because lord knows I hate hazards. Once sand is up outspeeds threats including many using choice scarf that threat my slower members. Sometimes he can be thrown out early game after Ttar has setup SR if there are few or no checks/if the opponent's lead hazard setter is gone allowing him to run through enough of the team's members to secure me a victory even after he has fallen. Air Balloon allows me to come in on a predicted ground move without taking any hits. Earthquake and Iron Head are my STABs of choice taking out the many Steels and Fairies that threaten the team. Rock Slide like Ttar let's me heavily damage common bird spam users on switch. Rapid to remove hazards of course which it does quite well. As already mention it pairs perfectly with Ttar since it needs sand to do it's job.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Recover

A replacement for Porygon2 as suggested by Albacore when MegaMence is ban. Celebi is a solid glue to this team that checks threats Azumarill, Keldeo, MVenu, MHera and Conkeldurr. Modest was ran for extra power and the EVs wear picked to out speed Jolly Mega Heracross. Leaf Storm is Celebi's main STAB wrecking Azumarill and doing heavy damage to neutral targets. Psychic covers the various Fighting threats as well as Mega Venusaur. Earth Power lures in Heatran and smacks it in it's face. Recover let's Celebi heal off prior damage and Life Orb recoil keeping it healthy through out the match. Celebi has great synergy with Lopunny, Excardill and Tyranitar cover several of their weaknesses and checking their would be counters.

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wing
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Atk / 144 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will o Wisp

Replacing stallbreaker Togekiss I felt Stallbreaker Talonflame fit better with this team. Talonflame not only causes problems for several stall Pokemon but can also pick off several threats to the team with priority Brave Bird. The spread was chosen to give it as much bulk as needed but have enough attack combined with Sharp Beak to give a clean OHKO to Keldeo. Brave Bird is the stab of choice wrecking threats like Keldeo, Mega Gallade, Mega Lopunny, Mega Heracross and several other threats. Roost lets him heal of Stealth Rock and prior damage and can remove his weakness to Thunder though I most be careful that it also gives me a weakness to Ground. Taunt let's me stop setup and status inducers like Clefable, Ferrothorn and Venusaur. Will o Wisp fills the last slot allowing me to cripple physical threats and provide damage over time on stall Pokemon without a cleric. Talonflame fits well as a fairy switch in bar Azumarill who is handled by Celebi anyways. It also can be great at revenge killing certain threats with priority Brave Bird.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Low Kick

My cleaner and revenge killer Greninja is a massive threat to teams in the current meta right at home on this team. Gunk Shot is Greninja's new tutor move in ORAS and absolute godsend allow it to break through Fairies that original walled it like Clefable, Sylveon and Azumarill. Ice Beam let's Greninja handle several threatening Pokemon including Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Landerous and Gliscor. Extrasensory helps with threats like Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, Conkeldurr and Mega Heracross who is a huge threat to the team. Low Kick is in my last slot for handling Tyranitar, Terrakion and some troublesome steel types including Ferrothorn and Magnezone. Greninja works well with many of the team mates having a coverage move that can handle threats they may hate that have already been listed above. A Naive nature was taken over a Timid nature as extra attack is needed to hit major threats like Azumarill with Gunk Shot.

Lopunny (M) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber ---> Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Heal Bell

The star of the team and all around badass Mega Lopunny! He is of course my cleaner wiping out the weaken threats with his perfect neutral coverage bar Shedinja. His new 135 speed let's him out speed most threats like Greninja, Garchomp, Terrakion, Keldeo and Landorus. Substitute allows me to go one on one with Mew on switch as well as stop Ferrothorn dead in it's tracks and wall Mega-Sableye post Mevo. High Jump Kick is his Fighting STAB of choice breaking threats weak or neutral to the attack. Return was chosen to smack opponents that resist HJK. Heal Bell let's Lopunny serve as a fast cleric and let's it ignore status like burn. Lopunny makes an excellent cleaner as it outspeeds most of the unboosted meta and has unresisted STAB with HJK and Return. It also pairs well with Greninja as the two are extremely fast, hit hard and have STAB with little to no resists.

Still working on this list

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Recover

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wing
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Atk / 144 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will o Wisp

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Low Kick

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Heal Bell

Last edited:
Hey Goodra, nice team you have here. Its very solid and I really only see one problem. You have a bit of a weakness to AV conkeldurr. Actually, it takes out 5/6 of your team. With toge gone and your opponent has a conk its pretty much gg. I would suggest Slowbro, as it serves as a great answer to both Conkeldur and Mega salamence. After that, you can add Jirachi, as it adds as an answer to greninja, and is only 3ohkod by dark pulse. Hope I helped!

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
Evs: 252 HP 232 Def 24 Spdef
- Scald
- Ice beam/Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Careful
Evs: 252 HP 252 Spdef 4 Spe
- Iron Head
- Body Slam/Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Hey Goodra, nice team you have here. Its very solid and I really only see one problem. You have a bit of a weakness to AV conkeldurr. Actually, it takes out 5/6 of your team. With toge gone and your opponent has a conk its pretty much gg. I would suggest Slowbro, as it serves as a great answer to both Conkeldur and Mega salamence. After that, you can add Jirachi, as it adds as an answer to greninja, and is only 3ohkod by dark pulse. Hope I helped!

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
Evs: 252 HP 232 Def 24 Spdef
- Scald
- Ice beam/Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Careful
Evs: 252 HP 252 Spdef 4 Spe
- Iron Head
- Body Slam/Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect
Erm well first you didn't really suggest who I replace with these two and second my team is geared towards a more hyper offensive style and these two are more defensive.

Erm well first you didn't really suggest who I replace with these two and second my team is geared towards a more hyper offensive style and these two are more defensive.
Change Toge for Raichi and than, change pory to Slowbro, as they both synergise well with sand offense.

Im replacing too defensive mons for two mons with better offensive presence. Isnt that making it more if an HO team?

Change Toge for Raichi and than, change pory to Slowbro, as they both synergise well with sand offense.

Im replacing too defensive mons for two mons with better offensive presence. Isnt that making it more if an HO team?
Salamence is honestly a much bigger threat then Conkeldurr. I tried this pair and things just went worse for me with Mence popping a DD and running me through. Conkeldurr hasn't been a common threat for me overall and Togekiss handles him just fine.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice team you have here!

First thing I spotted here was a massive weakness to Jolly Mega-Heracross, who beats every single member of your team 1v1, can switch in on TTar with ease (Fire Blast doesn't do nearly enough to it), and P2 can't really touch it either. A pretty simple way to fix this is to give Togekiss a Timid nature. This enables you to switch into Pin Missile or Close Combat, and outspeed and OHKO back with Air Slash. However, I'm not sure that's quite enough since the switch to Togekiss is fairly obvious, and MHera really loses nothing from going for Rock Blast on P2 or TTar since, as I said they can't do much to it. Running Extrasensory on Greninja also compounds that weakness somewhat. Extrasensory on Greninja also lets you deal with Keldeo, another big threat to your team, as well as check Mega-Venusaur, which is a massive problem given that your only anwser to it, Togekiss, gets smacked by Sludge Bomb. You're still going to struggle against MHera a lot in all likelihood but at least you won't outright lose to it. I would drop Dark Pulse for it since the only thing it hits which truly threatens your team is Mew (Jirachi is annoying but Excadrill is a very good check to it nonetheless)

Unfortunately, if you do drop Dark Pulse, you end up with a bit of a Mew weakness (though Timid Togekiss does outspeed the vast majority of Mew, so there's another reason to run Timid>Modest I guess, but you never know when you're going to go against a particularly fast Mew). One fix to this would be running Substitute over either Fake Out or Ice Punch on MLopunny. This lets you beat Mew 1v1, since it basically can't touch you, and although you can't quite 2HKO, you can spam Return until you eventually crit it or stall it out of recovery. Another advantage of Substitute is that it lets you pretty reliably beat Ferrothorn, another huge threat to your team. Instead of HJKing and risking the protect or it switching out, you can just Sub on it for free and be guaranteed to get some damage off (unless he gets the double protect off but hey, hax is hax). Oh, you also completely wall post-evo Mega-Sableye too, which is pretty much impossible for your team to break through if you lose Togekiss prematurely, so that's also a plus.

I don't think TTar really needs Pursuit. Yes, it does trap Latis, but those are hardly big threats to your team given that you have two checks in Greninja and Togekiss and a full counter in Porygon-2. One option would be to give it Ice Beam over Pursuit. This enables it to lure the Landorus-T and Gliscor, and in return, you can actually afford to drop Ice Punch on MLopunny (especially since you already have an Ice Beam user in Porygon-2).

Besides that, I can't really spot any glaring weaknesses of things which need to be fixed. Be sure to add the Pokemon I mentioned on the threatlist.

Last edited:
Nice team you have here!

First thing I spotted here was a massive weakness to Jolly Mega-Heracross, who beats every single member of your team 1v1, can switch in on TTar with ease (Fire Blast doesn't do nearly enough to it), and P2 can't really touch it either. A pretty simple way to fix this is to give Togekiss a Timid nature. This enables you to switch into Pin Missile or Close Combat, and outspeed and OHKO back with Air Slash. However, I'm not sure that's quite enough since the switch to Togekiss is fairly obvious, and MHera really loses nothing from going for Rock Blast on P2 or TTar since, as I said they can't do much to it. Running Extrasensory on Greninja also compounds that weakness somewhat. Extrasensory on Greninja also lets you deal with Keldeo, another big threat to your team, as well as check Mega-Venusaur, which is a massive problem given that your only anwser to it, Togekiss, gets smacked by Sludge Bomb. You're still going to struggle against MHera a lot in all likelihood but at least you won't outright lose to it. I would drop Dark Pulse for it since the only thing it hits which truly threatens your team is Mew (Jirachi is annoying but Excadrill is a very good check to it nonetheless)

Unfortunately, if you do drop Dark Pulse, you end up with a bit of a Mew weakness (though Timid Togekiss does outspeed the vast majority of Mew, so there's another reason to run Timid>Modest I guess, but you never know when you're going to go against a particularly fast Mew). One fix to this would be running Substitute over either Fake Out or Ice Punch on MLopunny. This lets you beat Mew 1v1, since it basically can't touch you, and although you can't quite 2HKO, you can spam Return until you eventually crit it or stall it out of recovery. Another advantage of Substitute is that it lets you pretty reliably beat Ferrothorn, another huge threat to your team. Instead of HJKing and risking the protect or it switching out, you can just Sub on it for free and be guaranteed to get some damage off (unless he gets the double protect off but hey, hax is hax). Oh, you also completely wall post-evo Mega-Sableye too, which is pretty much impossible for your team to break through if you lose Togekiss prematurely, so that's also a plus.

I don't think TTar really needs Pursuit. Yes, it does trap Latis, but those are hardly big threats to your team given that you have two checks in Greninja and Togekiss and a full counter in Porygon-2. One option would be to give it Ice Beam over Pursuit. This enables it to lure the Landorus-T and Gliscor, and in return, you can actually afford to drop Ice Punch on MLopunny (especially since you already have an Ice Beam user in Porygon-2).

Besides that, I can't really spot any glaring weaknesses of things which need to be fixed. Be sure to add the Pokemon I mentioned on the threatlist.
Thanks for the rate! Definitely some solid advice. I'll try out these changes when I get home and edit those changes into my original post if they work for the better.

Edit: Your advice worked better then my current setup after some testing so I put your changes in bold.

Last edited:
Updated OP with some changes. I've stopped using this team for the moment due to Mega Salamence just killing any fun with ORAS. I'll return to ORAS once he is gone and use the current edit which was made to function when he is no longer in OU.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude.

I'm on my phone atm so I may be missing something, but as it is now I see a glaring weakness to Char X. Bulky DD gives you trouble against every mom bar TTar and Excadrill under the sand. To remedy this, I suggest giving Excadrill a jolly nature and replacing air balloon with life orb.

Not only does your power output increase significantly, but you also have the ability to outspeed adamant Char X outside of sand and Ohko with EQ. Jolly is still relatively uncommon and it isn't rare to see someone send in their char x after sand is gone only to get bopped by jolly variants.

That's honestly all I have for now. The only problem I could foresee is opposing birddpam once TTar dies, but I can't think of a way to fix it w/o ruining ur team synergy. Nice team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)