Special Education

AJers

Your typical e-wench
Exactly. So if the only lives they are going to lead is inspiring people, then how does schooling help them?
Umm, I've seriously been arguing the entire time that 99.9% of the people will have somewhat productive lives if given the chance and the proper supports. Please read through my posts and if you honestly want to start debating about special education again, give an alternative, or your "solution" to not having special education in the schools.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Umm, I've seriously been arguing the entire time that 99.9% of the people will have somewhat productive lives if given the chance and the proper supports. Please read through my posts and if you honestly want to start debating about special education again, give an alternative, or your "solution" to not having special education in the schools.
Look. This thread is about people who will NEVER get a job, even one as simple as setting silverware or handing out pens. How do these people possibly get anything out of school? Tell me that, and I'll give you an alternative.

And I put it to you that no such person exists for more than a few days (ie, they'll die quickly without intervention or help).

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
That's why we take care of them? Special hospital care, medicines, machines, etc. But how will school help these severely mentally retarded people?

Look. This thread is about people who will NEVER get a job
Can you prove, beyond all reasonable doubt, that that is the case for a given child? I don't believe so. I don't believe anyone can look at a 5 year-old, or even a 15 year-old, and say what they will or will not be capable of in the future.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Exactly. So if the only lives they are going to lead is inspiring people, then how does schooling help them?
What in the world? School can inspire people. Why shouldn't these people get the same access we do? Just because there are alternate means of inspiration doesn't mean they shouldn't have access to the method their parents paid for the same as yours did.

Look. This thread is about people who will NEVER get a job, even one as simple as setting silverware or handing out pens. How do these people possibly get anything out of school? Tell me that, and I'll give you an alternative.
No it's not. This thread is about the people you THINK will never get a job. You can never be fully sure and that's what you're being told, but you're refusing to understand that to further your point. You've been given multiple examples from someone who actually works with the people you are talking about on a daily basis which disproves your theory that they will never function in society.

You mentioned that the classroom was like "playtime" earlier. Play is important for the development of a child. If the students are learning at as slow a rate as you are talking about, it's perfectly normal that their curriculum reflects that. They're not going to be doing the same stuff you are.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
What in the world? School can inspire people. Why shouldn't these people get the same access we do? Just because there are alternate means of inspiration doesn't mean they shouldn't have access to the method their parents paid for the same as yours did.

No it's not. This thread is about the people you THINK will never get a job. You can never be fully sure and that's what you're being told, but you're refusing to understand that to further your point. You've been given multiple examples from someone who actually works with the people you are talking about on a daily basis which disproves your theory that they will never function in society.

You mentioned that the classroom was like "playtime" earlier. Play is important for the development of a child. If the students are learning at as slow a rate as you are talking about, it's perfectly normal that their curriculum reflects that. They're not going to be doing the same stuff you are.
Sorry, I do know that they will never get a job. These children are confined to a wheelchair, don't have the mental capacity to speak or eat -- what job on EARTH will these people EVER do? Please, tell me that and I will listen to you.

You can get playtime at home or at a daycare center for people like you. But don't have playtime on MY money.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just because they learn at a much slower rate than you doesn't mean they're unable to learn. Communication is also not restricted to speaking.

That said, your parents and their parents paid the taxes for public education. Both you and the other child receive the benefits of the tax. If you do not think education is a right, you're free to fight for the abolishment of public education. I can't see that having a very positive effect on your country though.

That said, your parents and their parents paid the taxes for public education. Both you and the other child receive the benefits of the tax. If you do not think education is a right, you're free to fight for the abolishment of public education. I can't see that having a very positive effect on your country though.
The man with a pet chimp but no children also pays the same taxes, yet we won't provide education for his chimp despite the fact that it would probably be capable of learning as much if not more than some mentally handicapped children.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
The man with a pet chimp but no children also pays the same taxes, yet we won't provide education for his chimp despite the fact that it would probably be capable of learning as much if not more than some mentally handicapped children.
If that pet chimp had rights, then your argument would be valid; however, "mentally handicapped children" are human and as such are born with the same rights as you were.

If you're talking about taking away human rights based on intelligence or some other archaic view, then state that and we'll debate; but please stop equating mentally retarded individuals to animals to try to inflame the argument.

I do not accept the premise of humans rights, I believe that the value and rights of a being should be based upon their intelligence. I do not think that we should grant specials privileges to the group of beings that share our biological species. If a human and a chimp have equal intelligence then they should have equal intrinsic value and equal rights. I understand that sometimes intelligence can be difficult to measure, but I still feel that it is a better metric to use than biological species

Bad Ass

Custom Title
Once upon a time you couldn't walk and didn't "have the mental capacity to speak or eat".
But I have the ability now. I learned to speak. They can't. I always had the ability to learn to speak. You have the mental capacity to learn Japanese. These people don't. This post makes absolutely 0 sense...

Yeah... now that I think about it, a lot of the mentally handicapped people at my high school generally just took up space most of the time. I don't even think they knew where they were -_-. I remember one guy who spent the entire lunch period wasting water in the water fountain.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
I've pointed out (multiple times) the fallacies that exist in this argument. Until you come up with something new (other than the "people who will NEVER get a job" argument) then I'm not discussing it further. Read my posts, figure it out.

I do not accept the premise of humans rights, I believe that the value and rights of a being should be based upon their intelligence. I do not think that we should grant specials privileges to the group of beings that share our biological species. If a human and a chimp have equal intelligence then they should have equal intrinsic value and equal rights. I understand that sometimes intelligence can be difficult to measure, but I still feel that it is a better metric to use than biological species
I honestly don't even know how to respond to this other than a quick statement that people who think like you truly scare me. Where do you draw the line? Do you even have one? Intelligence isn't "difficult" to measure, haha; it has to be DEFINED before you can measure it. So how about we work on defining what intelligence is and then we'll hop into this discussion. Maybe another hundred years or so will give us a concrete answer.

But I have the ability now. I learned to speak. They can't. I always had the ability to learn to speak. You have the mental capacity to learn Japanese. These people don't. This post makes absolutely 0 sense...
As has been pointed out to you before: mental retardation is NOT the inability to learn; people with mental retardation CAN and DO learn new skills. It just (generally) takes a lot longer to do so.

Yeah... now that I think about it, a lot of the mentally handicapped people at my high school generally just took up space most of the time. I don't even think they knew where they were -_-. I remember one guy who spent the entire lunch period wasting water in the water fountain.
Sensible... I'm not sure exactly where you're going with this. Do you think special education is bad because a guy who spend the entire lunch period wasting water in the water fountain? I mean, technically he learned a skill through his classes if he was able to turn on the water and was so cognitively impaired that "he had no idea where they were"... :P

Bad Ass

Custom Title
I'm going to request a lock. Nobody is making headway, and this is just generally a circle; "They can't use the teachings" "Yes, they can" "No, they can't" "Yes, they can". Nobody understands the point of the thread anyway...

lock please.

I honestly don't even know how to respond to this other than a quick statement that people who think like you truly scare me. Where do you draw the line? Do you even have one? Intelligence isn't "difficult" to measure, haha; it has to be DEFINED before you can measure it. So how about we work on defining what intelligence is and then we'll hop into this discussion. Maybe another hundred years or so will give us a concrete answer.
Intelligence is the ability to learn, reason, and problem solve.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
Okay....

What intelligence is happens to be one of the big philosphical debates. There are quite a few core arguments and positions on it but a simple google search provided this link which gives you some of the arguments. There are hundreds more.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/p/intelligence.htm

In other words, if you're trying to say you've managed to do what thousands of years of philosophical writers and psychologists haven't yet managed to come to a consensus on, then I applaud you.

Okay....

What intelligence is happens to be one of the big philosphical debates. There are quite a few core arguments and positions on it but a simple google search provided this link which gives you some of the arguments. There are hundreds more.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/p/intelligence.htm

In other words, if you're trying to say you've managed to do what thousands of years of philosophical writers and psychologists haven't yet managed to come to a consensus on, then I applaud you.
While it may be difficult to define what it is, it is much easier to say what it isn't. Intelligence is obviously not what the people who can't communicate possess.

The precise definition and quantization of intelligence is a subject for debate and I don't pretend to know it, but approximately what intelligence is, is fairly well agreed upon and that is enough to be at least workable.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
DarthChake, there has to be some cut off line and as such there has to be some quantifiable way to measure it. There are too many gray areas in trying to say that a person has a "lack" of intelligence. Besides, per the theories of intelligence there are various interpretations of what intelligence is in the first place so how can we really say someone lacks if it we don't know what it is?

lati0s, you made my point for me. Without having a quantization of intelligence and a precise definition you're going to have a hard time figuring out at which Intelligence people should have their basic rights denied.

I'm agreeing with badass that this debate has run it's course; we're pretty far off topic now and I seriously think there will be major polarization on whether or not humans should be denied rights based on their intelligence...

Firestorm

I'm going to request a lock. Nobody is making headway, and this is just generally a circle; "They can't use the teachings" "Yes, they can" "No, they can't" "Yes, they can". Nobody understands the point of the thread anyway...

lock please.
You also VMed me a while ago about this. There's this idea that people who create topics can have them locked when it's not going their way / being proven wrong / whatever. That is not the case. A moderator will lock the topic if they feel it's appropriate.

Bad Ass, and others supporting his position, I'm going to ask you something.

Find me one study that looks at mentally retarded people, and that makes predictions of their future progress over a period of years, including predicting some will make no progress, and that then did the follow-up study some years later and found those predictions were reliably true.

If this has been done, it would strengthen your position. If it hasn't been done, what makes you think it is possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)