SPL 7: UU Discussion Thread

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-129883 dodmen's week 5 game with teal was interesting for me to watch, especially considering I have used a variant of dodmen's team probably at least x5 more than himself on the ladder with Tangrowth > Chesnaught.

Frankly I thought he should have led with Sableye and not Salamence and seeing as Salamence is his best response to Chandelure I really do not understand why he would lead with it (he wants to keep it in vs precisely nothing bar Chandy). However if he wanted to scout for Ice Beam Empoleon it worked although I would have just assumed Ice Beam since I needed Salamence for a possible CM Chandelure anyways. It seems like he played pretty nicely up until turn 10 as he was able to Toxic Krook so it could not necessarily trap anything for free anymore. I'm not sure what I would have done with Mence up vs Krook, probably switch out too but Teal made the right decision anyways weakening Mence more with Pursuit. No doubt with the Spikes and Sableye dodmen has a playable position by turn 10 still although he might be a lot worse. I might have tried to get more Spikes instead of firing off Wood Hammer because if Empoleon is forced to Defog that helps Mence a lot. But as Teal Defogs later anyways at turn 17 it should be clear dodmen's Wood Hammer would have been better than my recommended Spikes. dodmen plays around for the next ten turns or so not wanting to kill Empoleon with Blissey because that means Chandelure gets a free sub and can do serious damage but the end result of that is Empoleon living and Chandelure coming in for free anyways on a nice double switch at turn 27. dodmen was not making any predictions which let teal in the next ten or so turns do enough doubles to wear Mence down with Stealth Rock that it was pretty much hopeless bar several Fire Blast misses against Fancy Chansey which never happened. Teal played well with Chandelure so props for that. I think if dodmen missed a chance, apart from the doubles obviously, it would have been when he didn't kill Empoleon, then possibly he could have Defogged later to get rid of Stealth Rocks and have a moderately reliable Chandelure counter. I'm not sure where I'd recommend to kill Empoleon though so maybe that hope was just an illusion?

I think christo's stall game with Koko has already been thoroughly well analyzed so that's that. I will say christo's team looked quite nice for being able to put on every relevant hazard and still counter most of the metagame. Maybe there are some Mamo and Entei weakness but its very hard to counter them without Alomomola or Suicune.

I think the only thing I would question is the double EP on pert. I'm probably missing something but I feel like the first EP was enough to make pert revengable for either LO zam or hera. I was thinking that maybe if rocks had gotten set than you could've been able to threaten to pursuit trap the crobat more and then with a dead bat than LO zam could've maybe done something, which also would have meant foddering hera instead of zam early on. Bugz had fodder for hera and then a solid 4 offensive checks to it so I thought zam could have been more use. Only if it was gleam tho. If it wasn't gleam than foddering it wasnt a bad play at all.

Im probs missing something but those are just meh thoughts. Bugz had a really good matchup as well so it was an uphill battle for sure.
When my most reliable way of winning later game was "hope bugzy has a brain aneurism and misses a WoW instead of knocking against my Aero", it's safe to say I played something wrong. Didn't think I would ever be able to keep up rocks so didn't bother getting them early on, misplay on my part. Should've pursuited crobat first time, perhaps with a crit or some general luck I could've made something happen but seems unlikely.

Basically it boils down to that I would've had to play much better, bugzy much worse, for me to win. All the credit to him, he identified the route to victory and marched to it with no hiccups whatsoever, doubt he felt out of control of the match for even a single turn. Not a game I am proud of in any way and I hope that my other 8 (really, 7) showed that I'm capable of a much higher level of performance.

We may make playoffs yet so I would quite like to show more of my top level there. I feel a scraped my peak vs Koko and if I can bring that ability to any further games I honestly think I could give anyone a run for their money.

GGs to bugzy, one of the few UUers I'm now lifetime negative against, I'd really love another shot at playing him before the gen is up.

edit: Just some thoughts on how I could have played better:

Got the lead "right" (sort of) but could have gotten it "better". I thought that he would be a more offensive MPert because if I were running an offensive team, a Swift Swim sweeper would cause me all sorts of issues, so this is the calc I had figured:

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Swampert: 175-207 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Which is why I EPd first turn instead of exchanging rocks. After getting that wrong, I deduced I wouldn't be able to keep rocks up which was my first mistake, a better series of plays rather than just going for damage would've been something like:

t2 take EQ with Cune -> t3 try to catch up on the double with MAero and get my mega off, AAing into probably Forretress -> t4 going Nidoqueen on the likely spikes (hoping for a Volt)

Of course, that means hoping that Bugzy does the "obvious" play, which there is no assurance that he will do so, but at the very least I can assume that he won't waterfall into Suicune which is why going MAero wouldn't be the end of the world.

I overestimated Cune's worth in the match early on and attempted to avoid it getting pressured at first until I realized I had to sack to Crobat. From there I think there wasn't much I could do, the early pressure and correct lead Bugzy beat me with meant he could just play smart as he did and see the match out, after losing the first few turns I didn't have the tools necessary to claw my way back into it (unless I am missing a play that others see). Perhaps keeping Zam would've helped, but I am almost certain that Crobat was Pursuit so it was unlikely I'd get a ton of usage out of it.

Overall I think the game is a really good example of how winning t0 (lead matchup), preparation and a few smart turns can quickly turn into an advantage that you can just "see out". It takes a really quality player to steer the ship at that point, unlucky for me Bugzy is good lol and wouldn't choke from there, so I really spelled out my own death by losing the first few turns.

Last edited:
Spikes + running psychic instead of psyshock took the game away from lochie, not much he could do - especially against a suicune with water that hot.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For what it's worth, my own Cress was running CM also (CM/Psyshock/Twave/Moonlight), so barring any surprises with his Cress' last move I think I still had that endgame regardless. If he hadn't revealed Psychic earlier I would have used Cress there, but Florges was a faster finish (and was fairly low risk as even a crit +6 Psychic doesn't OHKO Calm Florges, so he would need multiple crits to break through there).

But yeah, no Psyshock and the burn really were the nails in the coffin there.

love joey pokeaim, what a talented player.

but that was a cool one. it was pretty impressive on hikari's end to show that kinda end-game composure, what w/the roost sequences and all. shame it had to turn out as it did, but that's mons. if i could ask, i'd be curious to know hydra's final move; it's clear from how joey executed that he was assuming for fire blast (otherwise he'd just have focus blasted the hydra outright, since it obv. eats dark pulse and thereby forces it to go -2 and go from there), but myself and teal thought it looked like more of a taunt hydra on that particular team. notwithstanding, i feel as though joey could've stood to maybe gotten a little more gutsy w/croaker, and while i get that sequences like that boil down more to psyching the other dude out chicken-style, i really think he was the dude w/more wiggle room at the end of the day. especially on croaker's final lo hit, where i feel hikari was 100% pressed to click roost, but i digress. it was a cool match, and i look forward to having a uu player of such caliber on my uupl team once more, bop :]

Last edited:
There's one play in this battle that really bugs me for some reason: Staying in on Mandibuzz and losing P2's Eviolite. I guess there was the potential for a Defog or something, but it doesn't feel worth risking a defensive mon that could have caused so much trouble, especially when Cobalion could easily come in on it - even more if it was Shuca when the main threat of EQ was already KO'd.

I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something cuz I'm a bad player.

Still was a really good battle to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)