SPL 7: UU Discussion Thread

Please refrain from dumping your salt in this thread, this is meant to be about UU SPL discussion :)

I'll leave some thoughts on my game, not much though.

From the outset, Absol and Hydreigon looked extremely problematic for Dice, given his only resist was a leftovers-less Cobalion. I knew that if I was able to get a mega off with Absol through a sucker punch on a weakened Shaymin or Chandelure, I would have a good chance at winning the battle with Absol. To dice's credit, he did a fantastic job at limiting my ability to 1) Set up any sort of hazards and 2) Mega evolve with Absol. Luckily for me, Hydreigon was still an enormous problem for dice and proved to be the key factor in overcoming his team.

Obviously there were instances of luck present, I got a scald burn, fucking sue me, if we're in 2016 and can't accept that scald does in fact burn a good portion of the time, well then that's not my problem, Mamoswine dying unnecessarily was because I listened to soulgazer , a mistake I won't make in the future.

Overall, it was a very fun game and a good one to brush off the cobwebs of being out of competitive play for such a long period of play. I look forward to the coming weeks and challenges presented and also wish the best of luck for my fellow UU competitors as well as individuals trying to get purchased for mid season.

Thanks frens. :toast:

i was gunning for a pert sweep mostly. scald burn early only allowed me to set one layer which was kinda lame, but i think the biggest blunder was shaymin's aim vs the hydreigon. it was about as accurate as king uu's views on bw uu sr ngl. if i nailed that hit tho i coulda pressured way more early on. in retrospect i prob shoulda sacked coba instead of hydrei-- was pussyfooting around the threat of absol too much imo. it was a fun game to start of the year tho.

since like 50000 ppl have asked me my cobalion was shuca lol

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-112234 Bugz vs Kokoloko

Honestly I feel like the matchup was really in Bugz's favor as av king was a huge threat to Koko, overall I feel like Koko played this match really well but had a pretty bad matchup and was certainly getting some unfortunate hax. The first thing I question is whether or not Koko was running crunch/eq on his luke, my first guess is that he was running bp to help deal with aero, but if he was crunch/eq then that was his wincon but like I said I would guess BP. As for the hax, lack of scald burns is really not something that can be complained about too much but between two stone edge misses and several crits hax was certainly against koko. Thats not to say Bugz didnt play well, he played very conservatively as he should have in the great position he was in from turn one, keeping his chandy in the back was pretty nice considering if Koko was eq/crunch he might have sacked luke thinking chandy was scarf. Unfortunately hax hurt koko pretty bad, maybe not the reason he lost but it certainly didn't help. All in all decent game both players looking better than I had originally thought hopefully they can both do well in future rounds.

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
it was indeed bp for aero and sable, otherwise i'd have tried to burn the mandi to set up on it w/o dying to fp and won w/ it.

uh yeah shit matchup was rough, but the misses and crits lost it for me tbh. i feel like i played much better tbh but i can't really say unless the lord king uu and christo agree cause they're the only good players here soooo LOL

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
it was indeed bp for aero and sable, otherwise i'd have tried to burn the mandi to set up on it w/o dying to fp and won w/ it.

uh yeah shit matchup was rough, but the misses and crits lost it for me tbh. i feel like i played much better tbh but i can't really say unless the lord king uu and christo agree cause they're the only good players here soooo LOL
not king/christo but you did well man it's ok

was that specs zappie btw

edit: i also like how you're reppin the blastoise/nidoqueen hazard core more than 1 year after introducing it to the tier

Why am I apart of this king uu shit... Sigh

Edit: I didn't get salty in the SPL thread or anything lmao

It's pretty annoying to be associated with the shit Kink does cuz I have literally nothing to do with it

King UU edit: the wheels on the bus go up and down, and Christo just threw me under it

Not gonna deny that I got a lot of luck. The scald crit on whimsi bailed out my lack of concentration which was pretty lame on my part, other than that though couple of misses on mandi (one of my least valuable mons in that game), and the slowking crits weren't that big of a deal tbh; certainly gave me some breathing space which allowed me to play extra conservatively though. All in all good battle, koko played well, sorry for the luck, go bigs.

Last edited:

Mazar

Banned deucer.
I can just say that its rly amazing to see players whose passed their prime time. Especially for me as someone who is on smogon for a little bit more than a year now its special because I saw you guys doing well in tours one year ago and now I hopefully will be able to battle you.

Also tough match! I liked how much work AV(?)-Slowking did, prob the match winner for bugzinator.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll post my thought on the koko/bugzy game later today.

In the meantime can y'all just hug it out or something? Let's save this thread for actual content, and take any salt or shit talking to Comemesment or somewhere.

Thoughts on Bugzy vs koko

Both players played exceptionally well through out the match imo. Koko's team repping the classic nido+toise is nice to see although the team itself had some pretty big holes making it hard for koko to win regardless of the hax. With no psychic resist, koko's team gives a free win vs any bulky Psychic CM sweeper or hard hitting psychics like Azlef and gardevoir(in this case an AV Slowking). This huge weakness to Slowking gave Bugzy room to just make safe switches to secure his win(hax only made it easier for him and impossible for Koko to comeback. Although koko could have still made room to pull a win w/o hax even though unlikely). I do find it odd that koko didn't have Dark pulse on Blastoise, though. Considering how simply any psychic can win vs his team, I guess it was something he just missed when team building or just didn't predict bugzy to bring a psychic idk.

Overall a gg

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
some of you are being hurtful and malicious for the sake of it, and people are noticing. its edgy to be kind.

The koko vs bugzy game was interesting to watch. There were some solid plays made by Koko throughout the match, but a couple of choice crits from Bugzy forced Koko to have to make some catchup plays which allowed him to seriously injure Mamo and take out Mega Aggron. The turning point to me was definitely the miss of Stone Edge, which was very unfortunate to see in a crit-riddled match... justice is hard to come by. With Mandibuzz not dying when it should have, Bugzy was able to get an important Knock Off in, which sealed Entei's damage output so that even if Zapdos were to try to break through with Thunderbolt, Entei couldn't effectively clean with E-speed or the appropriate move. This is definitely a game where the RNG made a difference, but a solid performance from both players. The only tiny thing I noticed is Koko's lack of Psychic resist/immunity which really allowed Slowking to put in a lot of work, but that's hardly something all Offensive teams need to worry about, so its difficult to say for certain whether or not that was the early breaking point of this r1 matchup, but I think it's important to note that if Slowking had Slack Off + Calm Mind, the match could have ended a lot sooner than it did.

All in all, it was good to get some nostalgia value from this game. Both bugzy and koko played decently, and I look forward to more games from these two.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Obviously there were instances of luck present, I got a scald burn, fucking sue me, if we're in 2016 and can't accept that scald does in fact burn a good portion of the time, well then that's not my problem, Mamoswine dying unnecessarily was because I listened to soulgazer , a mistake I won't make in the future.
On the Tournament Rules and General Guidelines thread we read:

Ghosting: The player in a tournament battle should be the one making their own decisions. Do not tell a player what move to make in a tournament battle (i.e. do not "ghost" them), and do not make your moves based on another person's suggestions. If we are made aware that someone playing a tournament battle is making some of their moves based mainly on the suggestions of someone else, punishments may be handed out to both parties involved.

I dream of a day Smogon follows it's own rules.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
I disagree that the Stone Edge miss on Mandibuzz was a turning point. I simply don't see how it affected the end game at that point as it would have gone down the exact same way whether Mandi annoyed Entei a bit first or not. There's simply not enough turns and mons to fodder to Slowking to get into a scenario where Zapdos could break through with Thunderbolt and where Entei could clean. The only relevant hax was the Scald crit on Whimsi, which bailed out bugzi as he made a poor move choice there. The Psyshock crit on MBlastoise might have mattered too if koko intended to keep it around to keep SR off, but he fixed that with the Entei double.

I also disagree that koko's team was a free win to bulky CM Psychics as you guys say. Ass Vest Slowking was absolutely the single worst Psychic koko could face using that team. koko could handle the slower boosting Psychics like CM Slowking, Cress or Reuni with Encore Whimsi + the offensive pressure of his team, whereas most stronger Psychics like Gardevoir or Azelf might require him to sack something, but they are far frailer and would struggle to do too much damage due to the offensive pressure once again. Ass Vest Slowking has enough power to make Whimsicott crumble and enough staying power to nullify koko's offensive pressure. Obviously no opposing Psychic was a great matchup, but this was truly the worst case scenario (especially with Chandelure to discourage Sacred Fire spam).

Just my biased 2 cents. Go BIGs! :toast:

Mazar

Banned deucer.
bugzinator kokoloko

with "past their prime" I meant you guys are veterans. I had no offense or negative thinking in my mind if you guys understood it wrong. Sorry for bad english.

thanks to omfuga for telling me

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah I also felt that Bugzinator had the real advantage and looked in control from the beginning. The hax didn't really matter much except for the crit on Zapdos. Slowking just continued to come in and spam a move and bring down a part of the team. Additionally it looked liked Bugz was playing conservative, for example not making Chandy switch in on Rapid Spin, which could have ended the game much quicker by killing Zapdos. Overall, not a real fan of Kokoloko's team as it looked to keel over to general offensive pressure and not the best type synergy imo, but still a good and interesting matched to watch.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I disagree that the Stone Edge miss on Mandibuzz was a turning point. I simply don't see how it affected the end game at that point as it would have gone down the exact same way whether Mandi annoyed Entei a bit first or not. There's simply not enough turns and mons to fodder to Slowking to get into a scenario where Zapdos could break through with Thunderbolt and where Entei could clean. The only relevant hax was the Scald crit on Whimsi, which bailed out bugzi as he made a poor move choice there. The Psyshock crit on MBlastoise might have mattered too if koko intended to keep it around to keep SR off, but he fixed that with the Entei double.
252+ SpA Slowking Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 306-360 (82.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 198-233 (50.3 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I don't think it's fair to say it didn't matter since Entei could either take out Slowking, take out Chand, or damage Rotom. After that there's a few range of outcomes in which both koko or bugzinator could win. What's done is done w/e but I don't think it's fair to say it didn't affect the game at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)