SS OU SS OU Aegislash/Hydreigon Core

Note: For the first replay for this team, I changed the aegislash set, was originally a standard physically offensive set.
Here is the Replay
Here is another Replay

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Close Combat
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Aegislash, despite being nerfed, runs as a solid defensive wall with offensive options throughout the meta. I've done for a SpDef bulky set due to the lilkes of special Dragapult, Rotom and Hydreigon being quite common. It's worth noting I'm running close combat on this set, which can OHKO Tyranitar and 2HKO quiver dance frosmoth, which can tank it's flash cannons. (Calcs below)
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Close Combat vs. 40 HP / 220 Def Tyranitar: 352-416 (100.2 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth: 175-206 (62.2 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon serves as a basic special sweeper. It's a standard nasty plot set, I'm running fire blast for ferrothorn, frosmoth and corviknight. It's worth noting that this core of Hydreigon and Aegislash resists/has immunity to every type in the game, making it hard to work around. I'm considering chucking earth power on for toxapex, however with the dragon/dark/fire coverage I'm not sure if that's necessary at this point. Dark Pulse 3-4HKO's and 2HKO's after a nasty plot, Earth power only has an 11% chance to 2HKO without boosts and OHKO with one nasty plot.
252 SpA Hydreigon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 142-168 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Gyarados @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power Whip
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

This set needs little explanation, since it's been dominating the meta for the past week or so. Dragon dance for sweeping, waterfall stab, bounce for that dynamax max airstream speed boost and power whip to deal with the ever popular Rotom-Wash, which 2HKO's normally and OHKO's under dynamax. Considering running earthquake instead of bounce, simply due to the fact I'm already getting speed boosts from Dragon Dance most of the time. It's also worth noting that Gyarados walls some threats to both Aegislash and Hydreigon, such as Cinderace and Excadrill, giving it good synergy.
252 Atk Gyarados Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Rotom-Wash: 182-216 (59.8 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Darmanitan (Darmanitan-Galar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Superpower

The truck of the team. I'm tossing up between band and scarf, the sheer destruction of band is tempting however the speed is much appreciated from scarf. Icicle Crash for STAB, Flare Blitz for Corviknight as well as Ferrothorn, Earthquake for excellent coverage. I'm considering U-Turn instead of Superpower, I enjoy superpower as it's a good last resort for attack buffs if I don't dynamax Gyarados along with it's standard amazing coverage, the question is, would the availability be more worth it. Right now it outspeeds everything un-buffed in the tier, including Dragapult. I'll include calcs with and without band below.
Scarf: 252 Atk Darmanitan Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 115-136 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 4.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Scarf: 252 Atk Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 124-146 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Band: 252 Atk Choice Band Darmanitan Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 171-202 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Band: 52 Atk Choice Band Darmanitan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 184-218 (60.5 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Corsola (Corsola-Galar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Strength Sap
- Stealth Rock
- Destiny Bond

Corsola is used as a basic wall to the likes of any non ghost and dark type, common threats to the team such as Cinderace, Gyarados etc get blocked by this, in part due to the reliable recovery of strength sap. Destiny Bond serves as a good kamikaze (see replay) to tricky dynamax pokemon. Stealth rock is rather self explanatory and night shade is basic damage dealing, something to do if taunted by the opponent.

Rotom-Meow (Rotom-Mow) @ Eject Pack
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Discharge

Rotom is here for type coverage, it also provides burns with Will-o-Wisp for quite a few common threats. This thing walls the abundance of water types in the meta and can punish back with leaf storm, or when fishing for paralysis, discharge. It deals with many ground types such as Dugtrio and Tyranitar and is often used as a counter to physically defensive Rotom-Wash (has chance to OHKO). As of a week ago, Excadrill was #1 most used in the meta, Rotom-W was 8th, making this thing surprisingly effective.

252 SpA Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-Wash: 260-308 (85.5 - 101.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
With Rocks: 252 SpA Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-Wash: 260-308 (85.5 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The main threats of this team apply to most teams: Galarian Darmanitan Scarf, Dracovish's fishious rend, Dragapult and fire types such as Cinderace. Toxitricity also fares well against this team. I don't have anything specifically I'm looking for barring a choice on band or scarf Darmanitan and Earth Power or Fire Blast Hydreigon. Never the less, any advice is appreciated.

I haven't done a RMT in ages, hope this is fine.

Last edited:
Rotom-Meow (Rotom-Mow) @ Eject Pack
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Discharge
Starting off with your Rotom. This would be a useful pick if your team were weak to Water but it isn't in fact your team is incredibly weak to Fire and your only coverage is Gyarados which could get destroyed by a Rotom-Heat so I feel as Rotom-Wash would be a better choice over this mon.

Hello!

If you are still paying attention to this post; i'd like to come with some points i think you'll find helpfull.

I'd like to start off by saying that i like the team, it's got a nice look to it.
I do see some weaknesses, however.

You have some issues with dracozolt, dracovish, darmanitan, cinderace and the likes. Mainly pokemon that can outspeed your pokemon are problematic. You also have a slight synergy problem with the corsola there, i'll get into that.

It's important to remember that your team is not supposed to wall other teams, your team is based on offense, so it's more important for you to keep up the offensive presence and rely more on pivots against pokemon that threaten your team, that can take 2 or 3 hits, so you can switch out your own threats more safely.

Now i'll get into the problem with corsola. Corsola-galar is a very good pokemon that can be hard to kill, but the moment you switch this pokemon in with this team, you loose all your offensive momentum, and your opponent gets the opportunity to build up his own, which in worst case can lead to him breaking your team apart. Therefore i propose a different pokemon in place of corsole-galar; Seismitoad.
Seismitoad provides your team with many things that you need; stealth rocks, a defensive backbone and a pokemon to keep dracozolt and dracovish from spamming their powerful moves against you, thanks to water absorb and its typing and a pivot. It also provides scald, earthquake/earth power and toxic, all good moves that can chip away at your opponents team or potentially stop a physical attacker with the lucky scald-burn.
This is the set i like to use;

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake

- Toxic

This set deals very well with almost all dracovish and dracozolt sets, as well as it can switch in to cinderace, as well as gyarados cant reliably set up in the face of it thanks to scald.

Next i'd like to suggest you switch your rotom-mow with the following rotom-heat set;

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 48 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

- Will-O-Wisp

This set deals more with darmanitan-galar, which cannot 2hko it after rocks at 100%.
252+ Atk Choice Band Darmanitan-Galar Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Rotom-Heat: 96-113 (31.6 - 37.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
It also provides you with twave for pokemon like togekiss and dragapult, which helps your team greatly against the threat of faster pokemon. This pokemon also more reliably deals with your flying-weakness without having to risk switching in aegislash. Since we now have seismitoad, you dont need rotom-mow to deal with ttar and dugtrio anymore, so this set will hopefully do you more good. You can also choose other items over leftovers on this set. You can choose heavy-duty-boots to avoid taking damage from hazzards. You can also use eject button to have it be a pivot against darm, but keep in mind this looses you a lot of important uses. The 20 speed points is to outspeed paralyzed max-speed dragapult.

Also; move the evs on aegislash from sp.def to sp.atk. Stance Change swaps the stats, but not the evs, so you'll wanna have the evs on sp.atk.
Lastly i'd like to say you should consider shadow sneak over close combat on aegislash, as that too helps against faster pokemon like dragapult.

That is all that comes to my immediate mind, but ill let you know if i think of anything else.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
I absolutely love that team and wanna try it out! But im going to probably edit it a bit because one major issue i've noticed with hydreigon is fairy types hindering it with a major one being Grimsnarl and even Mimikyu. Mimikyu they don't necessarily have to pull off a swords dance and could still one shot hydreigon. That's one major reason why I used to run Flash Cannon over something like Draco Meteor since most of the types it turns into just a nuke. Again, I haven't used it a lot so I don't know how squishy it is but from what I recall it can be pretty squishy so at most you can only get one nasty plot off which is taken away once you use Draco Meteor.

Hello!

If you are still paying attention to this post; i'd like to come with some points i think you'll find helpfull.

I'd like to start off by saying that i like the team, it's got a nice look to it.
I do see some weaknesses, however.

You have some issues with dracozolt, dracovish, darmanitan, cinderace and the likes. Mainly pokemon that can outspeed your pokemon are problematic. You also have a slight synergy problem with the corsola there, i'll get into that.

It's important to remember that your team is not supposed to wall other teams, your team is based on offense, so it's more important for you to keep up the offensive presence and rely more on pivots against pokemon that threaten your team, that can take 2 or 3 hits, so you can switch out your own threats more safely.

Now i'll get into the problem with corsola. Corsola-galar is a very good pokemon that can be hard to kill, but the moment you switch this pokemon in with this team, you loose all your offensive momentum, and your opponent gets the opportunity to build up his own, which in worst case can lead to him breaking your team apart. Therefore i propose a different pokemon in place of corsole-galar; Seismitoad.
Seismitoad provides your team with many things that you need; stealth rocks, a defensive backbone and a pokemon to keep dracozolt and dracovish from spamming their powerful moves against you, thanks to water absorb and its typing and a pivot. It also provides scald, earthquake/earth power and toxic, all good moves that can chip away at your opponents team or potentially stop a physical attacker with the lucky scald-burn.
This is the set i like to use;

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake

- Toxic

This set deals very well with almost all dracovish and dracozolt sets, as well as it can switch in to cinderace, as well as gyarados cant reliably set up in the face of it thanks to scald.

Next i'd like to suggest you switch your rotom-mow with the following rotom-heat set;

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 48 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

- Will-O-Wisp

This set deals more with darmanitan-galar, which cannot 2hko it after rocks at 100%.
252+ Atk Choice Band Darmanitan-Galar Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Rotom-Heat: 96-113 (31.6 - 37.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
It also provides you with twave for pokemon like togekiss and dragapult, which helps your team greatly against the threat of faster pokemon. This pokemon also more reliably deals with your flying-weakness without having to risk switching in aegislash. Since we now have seismitoad, you dont need rotom-mow to deal with ttar and dugtrio anymore, so this set will hopefully do you more good. You can also choose other items over leftovers on this set. You can choose heavy-duty-boots to avoid taking damage from hazzards. You can also use eject button to have it be a pivot against darm, but keep in mind this looses you a lot of important uses. The 20 speed points is to outspeed paralyzed max-speed dragapult.

Also; move the evs on aegislash from sp.def to sp.atk. Stance Change swaps the stats, but not the evs, so you'll wanna have the evs on sp.atk.
Lastly i'd like to say you should consider shadow sneak over close combat on aegislash, as that too helps against faster pokemon like dragapult.

That is all that comes to my immediate mind, but ill let you know if i think of anything else.
Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks! I just got my team bred in game, although I'll go breed a seismitoad and another rotom the next opportunity I get to try this - thanks! For Aegis I'm considering just 108 sp.atk, which OHKO's dragapult, I'll be able to tank a single shadow ball and clap back.

Last edited:
Thanks! I just got my team bred in game, although I'll go breed a seismitoad and another rotom the next opportunity I get to try this - thanks! For Aegis I'm considering just 108 sp.atk, which OHKO's dragapult, I'll be able to tank a single shadow ball and clap back.
The aegislash spread sounds like a good idea, but remember to check other calcs to see taht it doesnt make i tloose to other walls ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)