Stall team 1600 and rising

Team at a glance:

I started with this team:

After some time I realized I needed a bulky water so I combined Chansey and Sylveon into Clefable and added Gyarados:

Simple as that

In Depth

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

My usual lead and SR setter, his bulk is great and, when combined with wish support it becomes even better, he's also my Special moves tank and can pursuit trap Latias when it comes to take out my hazards. He can also pursuit trap many Ghost/Psychic mons such as Latios and Gothitelle or any weakened mon. He has the great EdgeQuake combo, so I can hit a ton of things. Sandstorm(from Sand Stream) stacks more passive damage, it is nullfied by leftovers on Clefable/Gyarados, Mandibuzz and Aegislash aren't affected, my only concern is about his bad synergy with M-Venu, since he doesn't have leftovers and Synthesis only recover 25% on sandstorm. Maybe changing him to a sassy one with Fire blast, but I'm not sure what move take out

Synergy
M-Venusaur, Gyarados
M-Venusaur, Mandibuzz, Aegislash
M-Venusaur, Gyarados, Aegislash
Mandibuzz, Gyarados
Clefable, Aegislash, Gyarados
Gyarados, Aegislash
M-Venusaur, Aegislash

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

The team cleric and counter to some setup sweepers(thank you so much Unaware) and dragons, Aromatherapy and Wish are a necessity on this team to keep it healthy, Protect stacks more damage on the enemy and Moonblast is a great STAB move. Hers EVs are to make her a bulky mon on the physical side, since most setup sweepers are physical. I tend not to bring her in when it's not necessary since the team gets crippled if she faints. Maybe changing to specially defensive set to take things like Manaphy, keldeo, Greninja and any special setup sweeper lacking Poison or Stell moves, what do you think?

Synergy
Gyarados, Aegislash
Tyranitar, Aegislash

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall/Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

One of my physical walls, a typical Resttalk Gyarados. Dragon tail is great when I have SR on the field so I can annoy the opponent and stack up residual damage to weak the team, Waterfall is STAB and main attacking move. Since he heals statuses with rest, whenever I don't want to use Aromatherapy because sometimes it causes trouble I can send him in and absorb the status and heal up. I don't use Heal bell just because of he's sleep very often, Sleep Talk does it's jobs so well that I don't have a necessity for that. Maybe changing Waterfall to T-wave to cripple Fast mons, the I can Dragon tail and cripple another one

Synergy
M-Venusaur, , Tyranitar*
Aegislash

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Late game cleaner and also a great staller, with both Substitute and King's shield he neutralizes most contact physical threats such as Azumarril, Toxic is great against something that I need to put on a timer because it's giving me a lot of trouble, Shadow Ball is it main attacking move and STAB, since only 1 type resist it and 1 is immune to it (and is pretty uncommon too) it's easily spammable. His EVs and nature focus the special side and, as I don't use any physical move, I try to reduce Foul Play damage. I usually bring him late game on something that will probably switch and sub, from there is just to stall the rest of the opponent's team until he breaks the sub and has a good counter to Aegis on the field

Synergy
Tyranitar, Gyarados
Mandibuzz, Gyarados
Mandibuzz, Tyranitar
Mandibuzz, Tyranitar, Clefable

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt

My hazard controller and physical wall. Foul Play is a great move that you can use on a lot of things, generally resulting on a KO, Taunt helps me to screw opposing walls, since most of them (Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Chansey) are slower than him and use physical attacks, that's where Rocky Helmet comes in hand, if the opponent doesn't switch out he will take 16% of damage + the damage of Foul Play per turn, and it can't recover any health besides Leftovers.

Synergy
M-Venusaur, Tyranitar*
Aegislash
Aegislash
M-Venusaur, Aegislash

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Another physical wall with great resistances, few weakness and Leech seed, which is one of my preffered moves because it deals decent damage and heal at the same time. Giga Drain is it's main attacking move and it gives more health back, Sludge bomb is for any grass (besides Ferrothorn and Chesnaught) that come in to take my leech seed, also has a nice chance of poisoning. Synthesis is for when I need health back quickly, that's where the synergy problem with Tyranitar comes, because besides taking 6% every turn, Synthesis only recovers 25% of it's health, making him lot easier to kill. I'm going to test specially defensive spread because right now any strong special mon with a fighting move can become a problem for my team, since my ttar is my only specially defensive mon

Synergy
Tyranitar, Aegislash
Tyranitar, Aegislash, Mandibuzz
*: Even though T-tar doesn't resist electric moves, he does a pretty good job against them
I made this team a few days ago so I'm still learning how to play with it, if you have any suggestion/advice please reply here

Replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-131127416

Feel free to suggest a name for the team or for a pokemon because I'm terrible with that
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Mandibuzz (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Last edited:
This is a great stall team, but i suggest adding more whirlwinders or switchers, why? The stall team stalls well, but when it meets the likes of Scizor-Mega for example, your only hope would be gyarados to kill it or force switch it when it is still setting up. But once it reaches a +2, little can be done(Of course, Mandibuzz can help soak the damage up) but how sure are you that they are both still healthy enough to keep physical attackers at bay.(Like M-Scizor has roost too so it can literally heal off the rocky helm dmg and start all over again with a priority STAB Bullet punch to the face

This is a great stall team, but i suggest adding more whirlwinders or switchers, why? The stall team stalls well, but when it meets the likes of Scizor-Mega for example, your only hope would be gyarados to kill it or force switch it when it is still setting up. But once it reaches a +2, little can be done(Of course, Mandibuzz can help soak the damage up) but how sure are you that they are both still healthy enough to keep physical attackers at bay.(Like M-Scizor has roost too so it can literally heal off the rocky helm dmg and start all over again with a priority STAB Bullet punch to the face
Finally someone replied :D thanks.
I'd I have 4 ways of dealing with Setup sweepers, Dragon Tail obviously, Unaware, King's Shield if the mon only has contact moves and is physical, and Foul Play(which is what I would use in this example):
+2* 4 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 283-334 (82.2 - 97%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 168-198 (39.6 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
*: Scizor's SD
Mandi might get some damage but Scizor would die very easily, considering I switch in a SD Scizor would only be able to hit me 1 time(with Bullet Punch because Mandi is faster than M-Scizor)
Even Bisharp that resists Foul Play takes a huge amount of damage:
+2 4 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 165-195 (60.6 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 253-298 (59.6 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Let's say Foul Play did 60%+16%(rocky helmet)+10%(life orb) = 86% health he lost, not to mention that if he attacks me again he will die and, if he doesn't have Spe investment, I won't because I could roost
Also, Phazing doesn't solve the problem, it just delays it

Last edited:
The biggest issue I see is the frailty of the only Mega pinsir counter you have (mandibuzz). There are two options... One is changing mandi and venu to skarm and amoongus and then allowing Gyara to mega. This allows hazard control, a good physical wall and an aegislash counter in mega gyarados. Has taunt, needs rest recovery, is pretty damn solid. Amoongus is a pretty good venu replacement and skarm is probably better than mandi in walling.

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

This amoongus set allows you to survive +6 Azumarill, clear smog it and switch out. Spore is fantastic yadayadayada. It's pretty good.

The other option is a lot simpler. Switch aegi to air balloon. Of course, this requires you play him really, really well when pinsir-mega is around, but it forces return/quick attack into a king's shield and will give you a free shadow ball. You lose the sub toxic set, probably in favor of KS/SacredSword/ShadowBall/FlashCannon|ShadowSneak (aka standard crumbler).

You're kinda open to get screwed by ZardY. For that reason, I suggest standard Chansey running Wish/HealBell/Softboil/SeismicToss (ZardY CAN roost but it's walled and this now will help with CM manaphy as well as not giving away conkeldurr switches as easily). This will bulk up your team well specially as your only other acceptable special wall was ttar, who had no recovery and is railed by Focus Blast.

The biggest issue I see is the frailty of the only Mega pinsir counter you have (mandibuzz). There are two options... One is changing mandi and venu to skarm and amoongus and then allowing Gyara to mega. This allows hazard control, a good physical wall and an aegislash counter in mega gyarados. Has taunt, needs rest recovery, is pretty damn solid. Amoongus is a pretty good venu replacement and skarm is probably better than mandi in walling.

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

This amoongus set allows you to survive +6 Azumarill, clear smog it and switch out. Spore is fantastic yadayadayada. It's pretty good.

The other option is a lot simpler. Switch aegi to air balloon. Of course, this requires you play him really, really well when pinsir-mega is around, but it forces return/quick attack into a king's shield and will give you a free shadow ball. You lose the sub toxic set, probably in favor of KS/SacredSword/ShadowBall/FlashCannon|ShadowSneak (aka standard crumbler).

You're kinda open to get screwed by ZardY. For that reason, I suggest standard Chansey running Wish/HealBell/Softboil/SeismicToss (ZardY CAN roost but it's walled and this now will help with CM manaphy as well as not giving away conkeldurr switches as easily). This will bulk up your team well specially as your only other acceptable special wall was ttar, who had no recovery and is railed by Focus Blast.
Thanks you very much for the reply, I'll be testing option 1
I'll put SR on skarmory then I can put Assault vest on Ttar and I have a good way to kill Char Y
What set for Mega gyara should I use? I could try a Crogyara, maybe it works? with Mold Breaker nothing is immune to water anyway

I use rest/taunt/eq/waterfall, but there are other sets.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spd
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rest

That's my general set, just to outspeed 44 rotom-wash (which means it also outspeeds Jolly Azumarill). The set helps take ZardX in base and mega, but rest could always be changed out for dragon dance or taunt for Mold Breaker roar (to destroy any remnants of BP not using ingrain).

I made some changes to team and I think I have everything I need:

Godzilla (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Shen Long (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance Tail

Falchion (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog
Should I make him physically defensive?

Spiky (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off/???

Gyarados + Ferrothorn is a nice core: Gyarados takes fighting and fire moves and Ferro takes Rock and Electric moves, Zapdos counters M-Pinsir and has Defog, also has Volt switch to gain momentum and a nice Fire move, AV Ttar is just awesome, takes special hits like it's nothing

Replay of the new team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-132471751 Once again showing the power of Sub Toxic Aegis. Even though it's low ladder the opponent wasn't bad

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)