Stall to the Wall |Updated|

I wanted to make a pure stall team that covered all the bases: Weather damage, Entry Hazard damage, Status damage, and a really strong defensive core (Jellicent, Forretress, Hippowdon), backed by the Screens and even Wish support. Of course, Rapid Spin and Magic Mirror were thrown in to aid my team's survivability further, and of course with these thing came the need for a pure abuser of the field, one whom could wreak havoc under the right environment. Now, I know most of you assumed Exadrill, and while he is a member of my team, he is not the star of it.

The Pokemon I am talking about is non other than my very own Level 2 Probopass set. Without further ado, please rate my team!

Iron Maiden:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

-Wish
-U-Turn
-Doom Desire
-Stealth Rocks

I want to lead with something that will basically say: Is this scarfed, a tank, a Trick user... etc. so that the foe will be confused. With Wish, I plan on using U-turn to heal my teammates, and Iron Head makes it easier for Jirachi to stay in and heal off Wishes.

Stealth Rocks I found to be more immediately useful for a likely lead than Gravity or Icy Wind, as most Dragons will have a Ground or Fire Move unless Choiced into another move, and Stealth Rocks is more useful in general. Also, Gravity isn't quite useful on a likely lead since Entry hazards like Spikes and Toxic Spikes haven't been set-up, and I don't want to reveal my Exadrill and use its EQ so soon without Sandstream support.

With Jirachi leading, I haven't shown I have Hippowdon, therefore they wont be as likely to assume I have Exadrill yet, and that's an advantage.

Sand Hazards:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sandstream
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/8 Def/248 SpD
-Earthquake
-Stockpile
-Whirlwind
-Slack Off

I wanted to ensure that I create as much damage as possible, while being able to stall out against my foes, which is why I chose Hippowdon over Tyranitar: less weaknesses, and Slack Off. Hippowdon also takes physical hits better, and can counter non-Balloon Exadrills.

Overall, Hippowdon is used to stall out the foe, racking up weather, and SR damage through Roar, and Earth-quaking foes like Tyranitar, Nidoking, and Lucario which might pose a threat otherwise. Stockpile is so Hippowdon can stall with Roar and Slack Off, but even if the foe can set-up as well (say Offensive Calm Mind Suicune), I can use Toxic Spikes with Hippowdon to outstall them.

Toxic Spin:

Foretress: @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Evs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Nature: Relaxed

- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Change

After team preview, you can tell whether it is better to use Toxic Spikes (lots of non-Steel, Poison types), or Spikes (lots of Steel, Poison types). Forretress is packing Rapid Spin for ensuring that your team can safely switch, as stall teams do rely on staying in strong health. Volt Change can negate the need for Shed Shell, since team preview also tells you if your foe is packing Magnezone, Chandera, etc., allowing you to switch to a counter on their switch-in and maintain Leftovers.

Most importantly, Volt Change allows for easy switch-ins for Probopass, or even Exadrill so that Sturdy and Balloon stay intact.

Puncture Holes:

Exadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor

Exadrill is here to puncture holes into the opponent's team, and sweep their weakened Pokemon, which shouldn't be hard considering the speed, coverage, and entry hazards stacked up against the foe's team when backed by Hippowdon's Sandstream. Additionally, Exadrill's Steel-typing, and Balloon item help it switch in, and set up. X-Scissor is chosen for Grass types that resist Earthquake, especially Celebi, Eruffun, and can work well against the many Levitating Dark and Psychic types like Hydreigon, Azelf, Cresselia, etc.

Exadrill also works extremely well with this team because its Earthquakes kill off the Steel and Poison types that ignore Toxic Spikes, while its Rock Slide hits Flying types for equal power (when factoring in the Super Effective attribute).

The Standstill:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Nature: Bold

- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Taunt

Jellicent is here to pretty much block the opponent's progress. They will be burned, Taunted, and their Water, Fighting, Normal, Steel, Ice, Bug and Fire moves will be mere dents to this Ghost. Recover just prolongs the damage and will likely force switches when combined with Taunt.

I feel Jellicent is the only spin-blocker that makes sense for my team, as it also absorbs Water, and takes the Ice, and Fire attacks that threaten Forretress, Exadrill, and Hippowdon. In turn, Jellicent's Grass weakness is resisted by Forretress, and Electric weakness is negated after a switch to Hippowdon or Exadrill. Forretress and Exadrill also resist Jellicent's Dark, and Ghost weaknesses.

Straight from the Jellicent analysis opposing Jirachi (especially with Body Slam), Heatran, and choice-locked Azumarill will have a hard time getting past Jellicent. Additionally, Rapid Spin users like Donphan, and Hitmontop wont like being blocked and taking either Scalds or Toxics. Jellicent also serves as a fine answer to Politoed, who will be able to do little more than give Jellicent that signature dumb stare.

Recover is one of Jellicent's most important moves, as it would be on any defensive Pokemon, and with ability to Burn or Toxic opponents, it allows Jellicent to stall Steel, Flying, Poison, and Levitating Pokemon that Toxic Spikes doesn't affect. Thanks to Jellicent's high Special Defense, it is capable of stalling out Draco Meteors from Latios, Latias, or even Dragonite with Recover. Taunt, allows Jellicent to wear down slower Pokemon who rely on a recovery move, including Slowbro, Blissey, Vaporeon, Quagsire, and Hippowdon. The EV spread is relatively simple; 44 Speed EVs allow Jellicent to outspeed and burn Scizor, while the rest maximize bulk with emphasis on Jellicent's weaker Defense stat. 248 HP EVs allow Jellicent to take less damage from Spikes.

Pain Stall:

Level 2 Probopass: @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: (+ SpA, -Spe)
EVs: 0 on all
IVs: 0 on all

~Magic Coat
~Pain Split
~Protect
~Torment

This set is the final and most supported Pokemon on this entire team. This Pokemon is basically what happens when all the opponent has left are the few bulky offensive threats that haven't been killed off by Exadrill, and perhaps a wall that just needs to be worn down.

Probopass is very simple to use when Sandstorm and Toxic Spikes are up. Stealth Rocks and Spikes are not required, but they do make Probopass' job slightly faster. All Probopass has to do is Pain Split when the foe uses an attack move, Magic Coat when the foe uses an indirect move (like Encore), or Torment if the foe is Choiced (combined with Protect works wonders).

Pain Split + Sturdy works so well that it may seem impossible for Probopass to go down if they opponent lacks a surviving Substitute user. Yes, using Probopass does require prediction, but with team preview, and by the time Sandstorm, and Toxic Spikes have been set up, it will be easy to differentiate what sets the opponent is using; Probopass is, after all, meant to be used late game.

~~~~Overall, I accomplished fitting what needed to be in my team to ensure Probopass has the right amount of support. What I need is your help to perfect movesets, EV spreads, and possible teammate ( I have considered Erufun over Jirachi in the lead spot, but I do find Wish support comes in handy quite often ).

Previous Teammate:

Mirror Wall: [Lead]

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
Nature: Timid (+ Spe, - Atk)
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
-Psychic
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Baton Pass

Espeon is designed as an anti-lead against annoyers, and set-uppers.

Lead with a screen depending on your foe's offense, or Psychic a foe if they are Fighting or Psychic. Baton Pass is so you can avoid Pursuit when you switch out. Espeon's lead role with the Magic Mirror ability allows her to prevent Taunt, Stealth Rocks, Spikes, status, and moves like Encore, meaning Espeon can get away without using attacks, unlike most leads. She can also switch in which works great with foes trying to Taunt, or status teammates. Letting Espeon act as a status absorber works great, while Hippowdon, or Exadrill, can absorb Discharges, and Jellicent can absorb Scalds, while Forretress of course, can Rapid Spin Toxic Spikes making my team very resistant to status conditions.

Against Tyranitar leads they will likely predict a switch, and use either Pursuit or Stealth Rocks, and be met with a quick Reflect, (not to mention Magic Mirror will reflect any Stealth Rocks back on their team); Espeon will be able to survive a weakened Pursuit. From there Espeon can then Baton Pass out safely. Baton Pass also works to scout for incoming counters, allowing for Exadrill and Probopass to come in safely with their Sturdy and Balloon intact.

Mirror Wall: [Lead]

Xatu: @ Light Clay
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

-Wish / Roost
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Tailwind / Night Shade

So I am considering this over Espeon due to having recovery (Espeon's Wish is illegal with Magic Bounce), and more general support for my team with Tailwind. Xatu is also neutral to Bug, dual resistant to Fighting, Immune to Ground, and can use Night Shade against all non-Normal targets. I have Tailwind as an option since Xatu can support my team, including Exadrill without the need for sandstorm, and Tailwind can also act as a saving grace if I know Xatu can only handle 1 more hit (survive the hit, use Tailwind and use any of its other supporting options going first).

I am considering that if I Tailwind, I could lower its Speed and have more EVs in Defenses, but I feel that the initial Speed before Tailwind can be more beneficial if it can Light Screen or Reflect before the foe has a chance to hit it, ultimately letting it survive hits behind the screens against foes that are mid-speed range.

well if you plan on probopass to work as intended you need a spinner. replace x-scissor with rapid spin on excadrill. Also, Espeon as a lead, your opponent is going to know not to set it up and just try to take it out or switch into something. Also, yawn and wish are not compatiable with Magic Mirror. Use Xatu, much more reliable than espeon because it gives you a ground immunity as well. Xatu can roost off any dmg, pyscho shift burns which cripple physical attackers and xatu can dual screens or even tailwind for speed boost on your side. It can even u-turn out to keep up the screening momentum. Even though its defenses aren't as great (barring defense) and it's spatk isn't either it just isn't as frail as espeon and has an immunity. I have yet to see an espeon able to keep up with xatu's defensive capabilities.

Thank you for your contributions!

Forretress is my Spinner. Roost is an Egg move, so it is likely incompatible with Magic Mirror on Xatu as well... Jellicent can handle burning my foes, and I want Toxic Spikes to have priority if the foe is susceptible to both.

Xatu: @ Light Clay
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

-Wish / Roost
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Tailwind / Night Shade

So I am considering this over Espeon due to having recovery (Espeon's Wish is illegal with Magic Bounce), and more general support for my team with Tailwind. Xatu is also neutral to Bug, dual resistant to Fighting, Immune to Ground, and can use Night Shade against all non-Normal targets. I have Tailwind as an option since Xatu can support my team, including Exadrill without the need for sandstorm, and Tailwind can also act as a saving grace if I know Xatu can only handle 1 more hit (survive the hit, use Tailwind and use any of its other supporting options going first).

I am considering that if I Tailwind, I could lower its Speed and have more EVs in Defenses, but I feel that the initial Speed before Tailwind can be more beneficial if it can Light Screen or Reflect before the foe has a chance to hit it, ultimately letting it survive hits behind the screens against foes that are mid-speed range.

It is compatiable on Xatu=0. Espeon from event is only male. Xatu can come male or female from the dreamworld. I have one and I play on wifi so I know=p. You just need to breed a female natu/xatu with the magic mirror ability and there is a 30% chance it'll be passe ddown=D.

Wow totally didn't see rapid spin on tres. My bad! Then fine!

Perfect! I am just wondering if Roost should go over Wish... Wish can really help my Probopass if I mispredict and need to keep Sturdy recharged (full HP), but I also feel without Leftovers or Protect, and with Sandstream active, Roost may be necessary for Instant recovery, and it removes the Rock, Ice, and Electric weaknesses (especially when going first with Tailwind).

Still with Wish on Xatu, it can basically support the team even without being in the battle field. I kind of see Xatu as "switch into Taunt, Spikes, etc. or on a Fighting or Ground move, then set up a screen, Tailwind, or Wish on their switch." It works to help my team on both the switch in and the switch out (especially Wish).

EDIT: Switched out Espeon for lead Xatu

for jellicent, either use scald or w-o-w. either replace scald with surf or w-o-w with pain split or t-wave, or even possibly hex.

You know that Tyranitar is quite a common lead and that Xatu must run away from him most of the time because a Pursuit, without any investment on Attack EVs, will hit Xatu for 88%~104% in the switch. This is like 30% to OHKO. You outspeed Tyranitar quite easily so you'd go for a Reflect, ofc, Tyranitar could go Pursuit anyway, believing in the switch, then his Pursuit will deal around 24% damage only. If the guy uses Crunch on his Lead TTar and you decide to stay, then you'll get a certain 2HKO due to sandstorm.

So using Xatu as a lead usually prefers to stay and deal with Tyranitar if you don't know your opponent's set?

Proceeding on Xatu vs TTar, if you stood against a Crunch TTar you better switch after first hit to avoid 2HKO, so best you can get is a Reflect up, that's it. Against a Pursuit TTar, He'll might go for Ice Beam in the second turn, as you raise the Light Screen, though it won't hurt much (34%~40% dmg).

Biggest problem would be a Crunch TTar with Ice Beam against your Xatu, most of the time Xatu will raise Reflect in the first turn against TTar since both of the Dark moves it usually carries are Physical and Pursuit screws your life. So a 1st turn Ice Beam would cause around 75% dmg, which simply hurts.

If you Tailwind in the first turn, Ice Beam will still cause +-75%, Pursuit +-50% and Crunch +- 95%, which gives Crunch TTar 66,67% of OHKO due to Sandstorm.

This is just a huge hipothetical scenario, setting just the damages possibilities to the table since i didn't have any sparetime to test Xatu.

Second, you lack a Sp. Def. powerhouse, let's play with a Choice Specs Latios, would we? Timid, 4 HP, 252 Spa, 252 Speed (HP 302 / Sp. Atk 359(538) / Speed 350). You have 3 water weaknesses and only 1 resistance, so let's make it spam Surf!

Xatu: Latios outspeeds Xatu and Surf hits for around 70% dmg, Draco Meteor would be OHKO, ofc
Hippowdon: Surf will OHKO 80% of the time
Forretress: Certain 2HKO
Excadrill: OHKO (X-Scissor deals around 85% and Rock Slide around 40%)
Probopass: OHKO

Perhaps Jirachi would be the best possible add since it covers your Wish need and the Sp. Def slot, so you can use Roost on Xatu. That Surf would deal an average of 44% on Careful Jirachi, due to Leftovers he would require 3HKO. In a Sandstorm Jirachi has 99% to 2HKO this Latios with Iron Head

I know that the recommended set calls for WoW and Scald but I recommend toxic and scald to help spread toxic in case you can't get 2 layers of Toxic Spikes up.

Replacing W-o-w with Toxic on Jellicent... Burn matters less than Toxic in regards to Probopass, also, nothing 1HKOs Probopass if Sturdy is active, so your Specs Latios' Surf doesn't apply, especially since it can Pain Split endlessly.

Replacing Xatu with Jirachi makes sense, have a proposed set? Im guessing Wish, U-turn, Iron Head, and perhaps even Gravity? While Xatu is replaced, it only really affects Balloon Exadrill, and enhances Toxic Spikes/Spikes' Target range... Not to mention Exadrill and Hippowdon's EQ target range as well.

Jirachi also helps deal with Dragon's Attacks, and can safely pass Wishes through slow U-turns. I kind of feel, though, that an Ice Attack would be beneficial over Gravity. In fact, Icy Wind could even function nicely with Iron Head to cause more flinches... while hitting Scarfed Dragons for good damage.

I tested the newer version of the team, and found that a Jirachi with the same set and EVs but replacing Icy Wind/Gravity with stealth rocks, and then your Hippowdown i would recommend
Hippowdown -Leftovers with an Impish Nature
252 HP/8 Def/248 SpD
-Earthquake
-Stockpile
-Whirlwind
-Slack Off

This allows your hippowdown to take special attacks very well, and after 1 stockpile, it can wall most physical threats. (I would recommend whirlwind over roar due to the rare soundproof pokemon) Plus, you still get the stealth rocks up.

What application does Torment have over Taunt outside of beating Choice users that are immune to Toxic+ Sandstorm?

OK I'll edit in the suggest Jirachi and Hippowdon changes.

Torment can screw over anything really, especially since it lasts as long as the target stays in, which means if I have to switch Probopass out and the foe only has 1 move useful against my next teammate, well, it makes it easier to take the foe out.

Like for instance say my Probopass is facing Heatran. I know with a Balloon Exadrill is immune to Earth Power, but is weak to Fire Blast / Flamethrower. So say I Torment Heatran on it's switch in, it will probably use a Flamethrower if it knows I have Forretress (and by the time I send out Probopass I do plan on having Toxic Spikes up). I can Protect the next turn as it uses its Fire move. Now Heatran cannot use it twice, and will likely Earth Power or at most Hidden Power Ice; this makes it easier to simply switch in Exadrill with Balloon preventing Earth Power from working and KO Heatran with Earthquake.

Torment also allows Probopass to predict the foe in general, so it knows which turns the foe can't use a certain move on it, especially if the foe like say Chansey can't use Seismic Toss or Softboiled 2 turns in a row, it lets Probopass know it doesn't need to Pain Split if Seismic Toss is prevented, and Toxic Spikes will KO Chansey faster if she cannot Softboiled as much. And with the Standard Chansey set using Toxic / Softboiled / Seismic Toss / Stealth Rock, Chansey can't do much besides Seismic Toss to Probopass, especially as Eviolite means it take damage from Sandstream.

Torment + Protect works hand-in hand in general as well, because if the foe has say 3 set-up moves and 1 offensive move like say Hippowdon, my Torment tells me if I need to bother Pain Splitting since the foe just used EQ last turn. And the next time I predict an EQ I can just Protect, and then Magic Coat when it tries to Roar or Stealth Rock since it's only attack is prevented.

It's like a Torment + Substitute Heatran, but with Protect so it can scout and get priority shielding.

I'm sorry, and I probably sound like a huge noob for saying this, but could you please explain the reasoning behind Probopass? (No EV/IV and Lvl. 2)

Sure, Sturdy works like a re-usable Focus Sash (when at 100% HP you survive all damaging attacks at 1 HP), with no HP/Def/SpD investment and being level 2 (level it up from Level 1 so it evolves and becomes Rock / Steel Probopass to gain an Immunity to Poison and Toxic Spikes vs Nosepass whom is only Rock), Probopass will always survive a hit at 1 HP then Pain Split will cut down the foe's HP by essentially 50% (their remaining HP + 1 from Probopass' remaining HP divided by 2 = about 50% + 1).

This let's Probopass heal and stay alive while hurting the foe, and the Toxic, Sandstorm (and their own Life Orb damage will defeat them).

you don't really need a relaxed nature on Forretress if you're not using Gyro Ball, since its primary use over something like Impish, or in this case, Bold, is to power it up. In this case, since Volt Switch is the only attacking move you're running on it, you should use Bold, since, even though Forretress' speed isn't good by any means, it seems a bit silly to slow it down for no reason when you have a perfectly good Atk stat to burn.

Sure, I meant to change to Bold, makes sense... Done. Now it can outspeed other Forretress (and Volt Change to my Ghost).

Yes this team does work, especially since I changed my lead to Jirachi who can set up SR fast and heal my team.
Probopass really performs well for this team, and I am glad I got to construct a team that puts it to good use!

My only concern is Fire types. Forretress, Jirachi, and Exadrill all have Fire weaknesses, so I really want a way to mitigate that. I know Hippowdon can EQ them, and Jellicent can Scald them, but using perhaps something like Clefable with Stealth Rocks, Wish, Seismic Toss, and Gravity would work? Unaware or Magic Guard could both work over Jirachi?

Your team appears incredibly weak to Taunt/Swords dance Gliscor with the exception of Probopass, do you have a plan to deal with him?

Apart from that seems like a good stall team, have you had success with it so far?

Jellicent has Scald. but otherwise you are right. I have been, however, thinking about Doom Desire on Jirachi, since my team can stall. So Jirachi could Doom Desire, Wish, and then U-turn out, causing a switch, while Healing and dealing damage all in the same turn.

Doom Desire bypasses Protect and Detect (hitting at end of turn), and is strong this gen V.

For Gliscor I am considering how to deal with it, but I am not sure what to swap out since I want a Healer and Stealth Rocker without obligating Hippowdon to use Stealth Rock, but Jirachi adds to my Fire and Ground weakness. Maybe a Blissey with Ice Beam, Wish, Stealth Rock, Protect/Toxic could work better

This team works so far, but Gliscor as you mentioned does pose a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)