Stalling OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the latest out of my “Original Teams,” (not counting the re-modification of Suspect Trick Room), I tried my hands on a Stall team. Believing its playing style meant to be just overly defensive, I piled together who I thought were very defensively capable: a whole bunch of tanks.
CMTias, Crocune, and Curselax all at once isn’t too cheap, is it…?

Net Ball set-Rampart, GRENADEBUG: Insect Bomb!
♀

Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP/112 Attack/144 Def (0 Speed IV)
Relaxed (+Def, -Speed)
Toxic Spikes
Gyro Ball
Pain Split
Rapid Spin

Toxic Spikes is the most debilitating and defensive hazard there is (I'm not running any other hazard), and when using Toxic Spikes, Forretress naturally comes to mind, and isn't such a bad lead, either. Rapid Spin is mainly for keeping Stealth Rock off for one Flying type on my team and Pain Split, while semi-contraditory with Toxic Spikes, can be a powerful form of healing and can work as an attack.

Dive Ball set-Prosper, CRIMSONFIN: Unrelenting Effort!
♂
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Ani205MS.png
Leftovers
Intimidate
252 HP/244 Def/12 Speed
Impish (+Def, -Special Attack)
Roar
Waterfall
Sleep Talk
Rest

I initially had this Gyarados a bit more offensive, before Smogon finally offered an EV spread for Roar Gyarados (deleting their Rest + Dragon Dance in the process). Gyarados was the first Pokémon to be considered on this team, as shortly before the making, I was devestated by a Gyarados Roaring Toxic Spikes all into me. The set is self-explanatory, and of course, with such a high base Attack, Waterfall has a lot of damage output without focusing on its Stat (they say it's a 20% Flinch rate but from personal experience, it's more like 40%).

Premier Ball set-Go 69, RUBYEON: Philosophical Psychology of the Yin!
♀

Leftovers
Levitate
128 HP/252 Speed/128 Special Attack
Timid (+Speed, -Attack)
Calm Mind
Dragon Pulse
Recover
Hidden Fire Power

Being the third slot on this team, Latias was the first option that lept to my mind of being a "defensive" Pokémon. She developed to be the team's main form of direct bombardment, and since she comes gift-wrapped with hearty defensive capabilities, she is the most competent mixed wall of anyone on the team.
The most ironic thing is that no one has Wish or Protect, just a lot of self-healing. Everyone has either Rest, Pain Split, or Recover/Roost.

Luxury Ball set-Storm, BEASTGRACE: Breeze of Purity!

Leftovers
Pressure
252 HP/252 Def/4 Speed
Bold (+Def, -Attack)
Calm Mind
Surf
Rest
Sleep Talk
Mm-hmm, original, aren't I? Suicune, discounting Forretress and Gyarados, is the "Insta-Physical Wall" here. Charge yourself up with Calm Mind, and you're pretty much set.

Great Ball set-Bamboozle. POWERNAP: Chibi Totoro!
♀

Leftovers
Thick Fat
168 HP/120 Def/220 Special Def
Careful (+Special Def, -Special Attack)
Curse
Rest
Return
Fire Punch

Name originally MUNCHBLAST. More or less, the more Physical version of Latias and the more Special version of Suicune. Sure, it may seem like that it gets walled by Heatran, but like Latias, Heatran can't actually DO anything (Snorlax won't take as much damage from Explosion than Latias, especially if she gets Curses up). As of now, this team has never met with a defensive Heatran, but in the end, Snorlax should be able to outstall by spamming Rest and Curse.
After using Curse six times: GiAnT pAnDa oN tHe loOsE! It should be noted that Latias, Suicune, and Snorlax cover each other tightly, if you haven't noticed already.

Net Ball set-Infiltrate, MOTORCREEP: Science Generation!

Leftovers
Levitate
252 HP/216 Speed/40 Special Attack
Modest (+Special Attack, -Attack)
Discharge
Confuse Ray
Shadow Ball
Air Slash

Finishing off the defensive core is my Ghost of choice. Things like Overheat or Leaf Storm aren't exactly in high demand from this team, and the Fan Rotom DOES look seductively Stally. So naturally, I go for the most Hax-based set I could compose. Despite lacking thorough healing, Rotom functions well [in that department] and is fantastic in helping the team with winning.
Ok, so I had said that everyone has their personal heal move. While my Rotom doesn't have Pain Split, it is able to stall a considerable amount of turns to really wring out all the use in that old apple core it carries.

Counters
The most notable thing is a potent Tyranitar. A good amount of things can stop it in its tracks, but given the oppurtunity, it will tear this team apart one member at a time if it has to.
Similiarly, Machamp can squeeze through openings and can begin to pound destruction if not restrained in time.
Finally, if there happens to be a Mangozone on the opening team and can protect itself from any possible Earthquake attempt, Manglezone will come in easily to squeeze the life out of its fellow Steel. However, Forretress will usually get its job done of leaving behind its net of death. Magnezone also poses a threat to Gyarados and sometimes Suicune, but not much otherwise. The most difficult Magnezone to face would have to be Specs.

In terms of clearing my Toxic Spikes, in which my strategy has developed into raising a problem as my defensive core advance into the offensive side of life, the best way would be to send out a grounded Poison-type. Toxicroak is very potent at dismantling the team, but more often than not, I will have the guts to outwit it on the battlefield. Besides, if you think about it, it usually will not pose an immediate threat to my team as I will to it. Breloom, too, screws my Toxic Spikes over and holds a Fighting chance on this team, but don't forget Breloom Substitutes are frail and I can work my way around them. Drapion, too, is another Poison-based Physical attacker, but it will have to get very hard to circumnavigate my team. Sometimes, the only way to beat me is via hax, and chances are that odds are with me. For the most part, Pokémon that do not care much about Toxic Spikes are Pokémon this team doesn't need to overly worry about.
Other Grounded Poisons that may be of concern:
Nidoking, Arbok, Muk, Gravity Crobat, Swalot

Grounded Poisons that do not pose a large threat:
Nidoqueen, Victreebel, Vileplume, Venasaur, Venomoth, Gravity Gengar, Ariados, Dustox, Roserade, Skuntank, Seviper
Other Physical Pokémon that may be threatening but I am not too concerned about are Zangoose and Gliscor.

I am on Shoddy Battle: Smogon server every day, most of the time.
www.youtube.com/PhilosophicalPsycho

Philosophy: gg until further notice

Scizor used Beer Punch. It's super-effective! Swampert became drunk!

Ok this team looks like what its suppose to do, it does well. But their is one thing that'll rip your team apart - Taunt. So you might want to replace suicune or gyara with something that doesnt rely heavily on moves like curse or roar. I reccomend that you put in a scarfer, such as azelf who can take care of them.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi.

Solid stall, but I have a few things in mind that could help to improve your current line up.
The first thing I want to remark is that on a team like this, Stealth Rock are completely necessary if you want to ensure the team's success. SR is one of the key aspects on any stall team, the opportunity of hitting any of the opponent's Pokemon is invaluable, and since you're aiming to acquire a sweeping moment with your three sweepers and get benefit from Gyarados' Roar, you will find Stealth Rock rather useful.
I have a couple of things to say about your lead; first I suggest using Stealth Rock over Pain Split for the aforementioned reasons, and tweaking its EVs it's another option to consider. With an spread of: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD and a Careful nature, Forretress will be able to set up entry hazards in front of more Pokemon, such as Starmie, Vaporeon, Suicune, Latias (with no HP Fire of course) and some others. Notice that the physical bulkiness of this Pokemon is already quite high, and the chance of being balanced and considerably defensive in both sides, is an asset while trying to set TS/SR up. Also, if you opt for using the spread that I just listed, consider Payback over Gyro Ball, since it can be a great way of dealing with opposing Latias, and Rotoms and Gengars in the switch.

On the other hand, I consider that that set of Rotom isn't the best available you could use. I saw you mentioned Machamp and Tyranitar being a huge problem to the team, and this set can be easily trapped by any form of trapping Tyranitar with no problems at all, and for Machamp, what can you do against it? Air Salsh doesn't even 2HKO it, and you'll need SR damage and Toxic Spikes at 12% in order to score a 2HKO on it. Furthermore, Rotom is your best check to DD Gyarados, and with this somewhat "risky" move of recovery, the problem with Tyranitar and any other thing that it could help you cover, it won't last forever. Here is the set that I want you to try out instead:

Bold | Leftovers | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Thunderbolt/Discharge | Will-o-Wisp | Sleep Talk | Rest

The main reason for this set is to at least have a chance of hurting Tyranitar, Machamp, Scizor (etc) consistently; the onyl thing the do fear from Rotom, is Will-o-Wisp, that is what stops Tyranitar for getting in and threaten Rotom. The same happens to the likes of Scizor, Machamp, Gyarados... they dislike to get burnt, and this time Rotom will have a more reliable move of recover and a way to escape from status changes.

On with what threatens this team, I would like to underline Tyranitar and DDSalamence above all, they both set up on you with not much impediments. I have a few tips in order to fix this a bit; the first thing is to replace Sleep Talk for Roar or Ice Beam on Suicune since Rotom is already absorbing statuses. If you opt for Roar, you'll have another move to combat DD Tyranitar and another phazer along with Gyarados, one that attacks from the physical side, and the other that does the same from the special side. Ice Beam would be specifically for Salamence, since it can't OHKO this Suicune after a Dragon Dance, but other than that, Celebi and Latias are probably the other two that Ice Beam could aim to with a couple of Calm Minds.
Also, there is another option to consider in case you want to improve the stall capabilities of the team: Gliscor. If I were you, I would try out Taunt + Toxic Gliscor on Gyarados' spot and see how it goes. But from my point of view, Tyranitar won't be an issue anymore since Gliscor can at least score and EQ on it, and entry hazards plus Taunt and Toxic mean more pressure that the opposing stall teams will experience when they get to face this team. I didn't put emphasis on recommending this replacement because you stated that Gyarados was the first Pokemon to be considered when you built this team, so I'll just name Gliscor and say that it can be an interesting Pokemon here.

Good team overall, gl ;)

Bloo

Banned deucer.
You posted an RMT thread six days ago. We require waiting up to two weeks before re-posting another RMT. Therefore, you're violating rule #13 and I'll have to lock your thread. Once the two week period has passed, PM me if you're interested in having this thread unlocked.

RMT rules said:
13. You are only permitted to have one active RMT thread open at any given time. Don't post a new team every 2 weeks, wait some time before posting another RMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)