Standard OU Team

I have been frequenting smogon.com for awhile now, and I wanted to get some input on my team comp. I mostly play on various online simulators and that’s where I make the most use out of my team. The main goal though is to determine a solid team to work towards for wi-fi play with the ds. I have some difficultly with baton pass teams due to my lack of a phaser. Also taunt Jelliscent is a great nuisance to my team. My team doesnt have to many gimmicks, its mostly just tankyness and some stall I guess.

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Def
Nature: Impish
-Fake Out
-Rapid Spin
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch

Comments: This is normally my lead. I run with Intimidate so that in case one of my other walls is having trouble with a physical attacker, he can lighten the load a bit. Fake out's nice to be able to scout if the opposing lead is using leftovers, breaking focus sash's, but this also works well through out the game for free damage. Close combat is good for Ttar leads in case they feel like they can set up Stealth Rocks for free. Solid Rapid spinner, but I'm looking for another one if it will help my team.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerate
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
-Scald
-Flamethrower
-Toxic
-Slack Off

Comments: Slowbro is a monster at what he does. A solid physical wall and access to a stellar ability. Frequently, once the opposing teams entry hazard setter has been dealt with, and I've rapid spun them away, its very easy to abuse and quickly get back to full. Scald is the standard choice for bulky waters. Flamethrower is here to surprise Ferrorthorn and his buddy Forretress if necessary. Toxic may seem like an odd choice with scald, but it works really well with my play style. Also, its one of my few options to deal with Jelliscent and Rotom-w, which have a habit of walling most of my team. Slack off is good when Slowbro is forced to win a stall war and switching isnt an option.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP, 252 SpA, 220 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Flash Cannon

Comments: My answer to all the steel pokemon out there. Except Heatran. And Excadrill. And EQ Bronzong. But aside from these, Magnezone facerolls the steel types that are unable to switch out or phase him. The speed EV's and nature are to out speed sword dance Scizor, one of Magnezone's primary targets. Once Magnezone has succeeded in eliminating the opposing steel types, he can be used to threaten bulky waters or even be sac'd for a free switch in for Gengar or Mamoswine. One thing on magnezone though, I'm interested in recreating this team for Pokemon white on the ds, and it would be impractical to say the least, to get HP fire with 70 damage. Are there anyother options that I could use to allow him to provide the same roll on wifi?

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP, 104 Def, 216 SpD
Nature: Careful
-Body Slam
-Curse
-Crunch
-Rest

Comments: Curselax. Not quite as a dominate threat this metagame, but he fits a roll in my team perfectly. In general, he serves me as my special wall. Well the first question asked when choosing Snorlax as a special wall is, why him over Chansey or Blissey? The answer is, his ability to server as a physical sweeper as well! He is very easy to switch into the game, with his high HP and SpD and sudo resistances to Ice and Fire. Once in the game he proceeds to curse up. If my the other team brings in a heavy fighting type like Conkledurr or Machamp, I can easily bring in Hitmontop or Slowbro to slash attack damage or poison, respectively. Curselax can easily sweep entire teams if they allow him to set up or are unprepared. Humorously, this Snorlax can easily take advantage of Reuniclus' that set up trick room. The 104 Def EV's are for absorbing Psyshock's before he gets a few curses under his belt. Finally, Rest is there for people who think they can take Snorlax out with Burn or Toxic. If I have a few curse's I could potentially just wait the 2 turns to wake up and continue my sweep, otherwise he can just act as my special sponge for the rest of the game. In my opinion, he and Slowbro form a solid defensive core for this team.

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
-Substitute
-Disable
-Shadowball
-Focus Blast

Comments: If having Hitmontop and Slowbro wasn't enough to counter fighting types, here's Gengar. And a nasty one at that. Substitute to scout the opponents best move against Gengar, then Disable. Devastating against
Choice users and tanks with only one move to break his subs. If Gengar can come in on one of his immunities and force a switch, a free substitute could allow him to sweep the entire team. A high risk, high reward type of pokemon. Timid is used to make sure that I can get my sub up first as often as possible. Sub's are a nice protection to Pursuit as well.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Cloak/Thick Fat
EVs: 4HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Icicle Spear
-Stone Edge/Superpower
-EQ
-Ice Shard

Comments: Ultimate revenge kill ever. Seriously, no one ever expects my Mamoswine to be scarf'd. Half the time when the mammoth cleans up the end game, the opponents like "WTF why is that thing so fast?!?" That Gliscor think's he's safe behind a sub? Dragonite feels all cosy with his multiscale? Both fall prey to the super speed of my scarfed Mamoswine's Icicle Spear. Stone Edge and Earthquake are used for there stellar coverage. Priority moves may seem redundant on a Scarf user, but sometimes its necessary if someone gets too many Dragon Dances or similar boosts. I planned on running Superpower over Stone Edge, which seemed to provide better coverage on the set, but I found out it is incompatible with Thick Fat. As I said earlier, I'm planning on creating this team in game if possible and I want to be able to take advantage of Thick Fat Mamoswine once its released since Hail is fairly uncommon in OU, and is usually not a problem.

Well that’s about it. The main problem I have is baton passing chains because I am lacking any kind of phasing ability. Also I seem to have slight problems with teams that stack lots of entry hazards and have a ghost to protect them. I really only have Snorlax to threaten the likes of Jelliscent and Dusclops. Furthermore, I have a great difficulty with dealing with Rotom-w, who seems to be very popular.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this team, it’s my second one I’ve posted. Please leave comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Seriously recommend tier dropping. Magnezone for magneton or raikou andngengar for mismagious. If you aren't going to abuse OU don't use it. You drop so many threatsbthat way

Hitmontop doesn't need nor like fake out, easily switch it for toxic. Mach punch is kinda silly here as Excadrill and Terrakion are already delt with easily with close combat, so consider rest or sucker punch over it, both are pretty useless, but they have a bit more use then mach punch atleast. Finally on Hitmontop, I suggest you test out Hi Jump kick over close combat, the raw power it brings is amazing, just watch out for Jellicent.

I suggest you test out charge beam over thunderbolt or flash cannon, it allows you to get crazy boosts on steel types under a sub, then kill off whatever pokemon, and then kill or atleast do massive damage to whatever comes in next to break the sub.

I suggest you switch over Snorlax to a choice badn version, it deals with various special threats in the metagame with little problem and will benifit your team a lot more:

USSA (Snorlax) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

In case your wondering, the evs are on the defensive side to take special hits the best you can. Maximum attack is a must or else you miss out on quite a few KOs.

Thanks guys for the replys. I think I'll use some of the changes on Hitmontop and on Magnezone, but on the Choice Band Snorlax, won't he have trouble in longer games without leftovers for recovery?

Tier Dropping could be a good idea; however, is there a UU tier for wifi battles?

Hitmontop isn't too good in OU, as it is outclassed by things such as Conkeldurr. It works fine as a spinner I suppose, but even then there are better things to fill that role, such as Starmie and Excadrill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)