Staraptor - The Predator Pokemon

#398 Staraptor

Base Stats : 85 HP / 120 ATK / 70 DEF / 50 SP.A / 50 SP.D / 100 SPD

Typing : Normal/Flying
Weak : Electric (x2), Ice (x2), Rock (x2)
Resist : Grass (x2), Bug (x2)
Immune : Ground, Ghost

Trait : Intimidate

Physical Movepool (STAB in bold)
Quick Attack
Close Combat
Brave Bird
Return
Double Edge

Steel Wing
U-Turn
Pursuit

Special Movepool
No.

Support Movepool
Whirlwind
Agility
Roost
Feather Dance

Staraptor basically outclasses Dodrio in every way (Except Dodrio can Sub/Flail and Staraptor can't), and can really dish out some mean damage. It's defenses aren't the best but Intimidate helps out with that.

Staraptor @ CB/CS
-Brave Bird
-Close Combat
-Double Edge/Return
-U-Turn/Sleep Talk

You can choose either Choice Band or Choice Scarf, and either one works rather well. Staraptor has 558 ATK with CB, and it can easily reach 396 speed after CS. Flying/Fighting/Normal basically covers everything, and the last move can be either U-Turn or Sleep Talk. U-Turn for an all out attacking set, or Sleep Talk if you want to soak up the Hypnosis/etc for your team and still be able to hit hard. And since your using Sleep Talk, you're not confined to one move.

Staraptor @ Leftovers
-Roost
-U-Turn
-Return
-Whirlwind

Supporter Staraptor. Return for an attacking move, Roost for recovery, and Whirlwind if you have SR/Spikes out. U-Turn when your all done.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On the contrary. It's been confirmed that Choice items do screw up Sleep Talk.

Clarification: Sleep Talk + CB works in Netbattle. That is a bug. Sleep Talk + CB did not work in Advance, and still does not in DP.

In advance it was, that was only a Netbattle thing...

I _THINK_ i've seen somewhere in the move/item thread something about it remaining the same, but I won't be bothered to look for it, as that thread has over 50 pages now.

I somewhat think Quick Attack might be viable in some sets, preferentially without a choice item, so you can actually go adamant... That way you don't have to switch out of everything that comes its way, since it won't like repeated Stealth Rock punishment.
Don't know if it would work well though...

I really like the idea of leading Staraptor and then using U-Turn on the first turn if going against some sort of physical attacker and U-Turning into something like Gyrados for the double Intimidate and chances are you'll get a free turn of setup, which allows for the free DD or T-Wave, whichever works the best.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Brave Bird, In Fight, Double-Edge, Roost @ Life Orb / Scope Lens / Leftovers sounds fun =d

Yea, this is undoubtedly the best "beginner" flying pokemon they came up with, I'm excited!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah. SePh and I tested Sleep Talk with Choice Band and it still goes Psycho

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I wouldn't even bother with any support sets, because Staraptor is too brittle for that. Just slap a Choice Band on it and watch it rape with said CB set. I woudn't go for Life Orb because I think that Brave Bird+LO is a bit too much recoil, but I suppose some people like that option.

I know it hasn't been posted in for a while, but this is the newest Staraptor discussion that I can find.

Staraptor @ Life Orb * Hawkei
Nature: Jolly (+Spd -SAtk)
Evs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd
-Roost
-U-Turn
-Close Combat
-Brave Bird

Thats what I'm using. Use Life Orb to boost the power of Brave Bird and Close Combat-which were already dangerous-and roost off whenever you need. When you've taken enough punishment, switch out with U-Turn or just normally switch. A Healing Wish user on the team to revive him wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
The problem with that set is that Staraptor is just too brittle to be using Roost, especially with the Defense and Special Defense drops that Close Combat is going to give you.

Granted, my staraptor is probably horribly trained since it's the basic ingame one I've had the entire time, but yes, the thing seems weak. Mine is outsped by a non-choice-scarf milotic and can't survive a hydro pump from the same.

Yeah from experience dont use roost Starpator is weak so it will just waste a turn so life orb or Choice band is good.

I wouldn't even bother with any support sets, because Staraptor is too brittle for that. Just slap a Choice Band on it and watch it rape with said CB set. I woudn't go for Life Orb because I think that Brave Bird+LO is a bit too much recoil, but I suppose some people like that option.
Roost handles recoil. It should also be mentioned that this (and Infernape) owns in-game teams :D.

Everything owns in-game teams, I can single handedly defeat the entire Elite 4 with my DD Feraligatr. >_o
..and he's only level 57...

Brave Bird, Close Combat, U-Turn and Quick Attack is the best set for Staraptor in terms of usefulness combined with power - and whether he's CB'd or not doesn't really matter, but he's one of the only pokemon I'd Choice Band, simply because you will generally only be using BB or CC, both of which hit a good deal of types, so you won't need to swap out a whole lot, you can just keep smashing into things really.
U-Turn makes for a quick escape if confronted with something Staraptor simply cannot defeat (Gyarados, for example), and then you switch in someone who can counter them, and Quick Attack is for beating up and Reversalists/Flailers who would otherwise sweep your whole TTar/Hipp-deficient team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)