Stealth Rock Discussion

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I hate Stealth Rock simply because it killed Cuno/Tres just when they had gotten better. On the other hand I'm not going to complain about Jaskwak dying. And what Pooch said is right. Why should so many pokes have access to a move like this? Spikes was learnt by few pokes. Why not SR?

3rd gen matches usually consisted of a lot of switching. And there was only one move that limited switches, and that was Spikes. This meant that many Flying pokemon switched in easily.

Stealth Rock was introduced by Gamefreak to hit Flyers so that it could help mold D/P into a more aggresive metagame. And seeing by the number of teams with Stealth Rock in them, I'd say it worked. D/P is more about strategy. If a team is Stealth Rock weak, deal with it! It's like having a team of Dragons and not admitting that it is Ice weak.

If you are really that averse to Stealth Rock, get a Spinner. Starmie, Donphan, Claydol all come to mind. It gets rid of 1. Stealth Rock 2. Spikes 3. Leech Seed. And the best part is, it only takes up one moveslot.

In short, Stealth Rock, well, rocks. (pun well intended)

Rapid Spin also.
a) Is learnt by only literally 15 pokemon in the entire game.
b) Absolutely worthless against ghosts
c) Makes you an easy target for a switch in or setup or sub

Except it ended up borderline broken when an attack that you only have to fire off ONCE in an entire match then it guarantees anything with a weakness automatically comes in half dead.

And forgot to include anything or slightly boost available counters.

Its nothing like Spikes, far far superior and Spikes was not easily countered either.

Heatran can make a pretty good Stealth Rocker, with a bulky set. He forces switches like anything, so easily lays down the rocks, and since people usually expect Choice Specs, something silly like Blissey will probably come in that can't do anything to you besides Thunder Wave or Seismic Toss.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are only 15 Pokemon who can use Rapid Spin as previously stated. It's like counters OHKO moves with "Sturdy" Pokemon. Stealth Rock should have more counters for sure. Or at least not do a whopping 50% to 4x weaknesses. I mean, I'm annoyed that Charizard finally got the upgrade of a lifetime (physical Fire Punch with Blaze, STAB and Belly Drum) and then gets hit by Stealth Rock so he can't even Drum.

If you have an odd amount of HP, Charizard will be left with 1hp after Stealth Rock and then a Belly Drum, allowing you to get the berry boost and attempt a sweep. You'd have to save it to late game after something's been KO'd, or bring it on a CB Earthquake...that's pretty much the only attack you can switch into since anything else would cause damage, which would make Belly Drum fail and your Charizard just stuck there.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had to switch my strategy around and have been pulling it off differently. I know about that odd number strategy but IMO it's not really useable. Sandstream screws it up BAD as does even the weakest of speed priority moves, like Donphan's Ice Shard.

Funny thing is Defog can remove Spikes/Stealth Rock....

On your opponents side of the field that is, who in the hell thought of something that stupid. On the other hand Defog actually is a viable SR/Spikes counter in 2v2 since you can aim your partner.

Just because Stealth Rock forces you to adapt to the metagame and change your pace from the Advance Gen doesn't mean it's 'broken'. It's an addition to the game that everyone has to deal with, and really, the only pokemon it adversely affected were never a huge part of the metagame.

I mean, Charizard? C'mon.

Firestorm

Just because Stealth Rock forces you to adapt to the metagame and change your pace from the Advance Gen doesn't mean it's 'broken'. It's an addition to the game that everyone has to deal with, and really, the only pokemon it adversely affected were never a huge part of the metagame.

I mean, Charizard? C'mon.
Which is what annoys me. He COULD have been a threat this gen with physical fire attacks.

And exactly what I mean about Defog Foresty. I mean... it's already only useable on Pokemon who'll take 25% on SR, but at least put it there for the poor bastards to stand a chance. More Pokemon need Rapid Spin or something similar. At the moment, it's a move that is countered by like 4 Pokemon.

That said, it's a great move on any team seeing as there are so few counters for it.

Wish Support remains a good way to keep your team healthy...Jirachi resists Stealth Rock and can Wish your Charizard back to health. Memento Muk was used in Adv UU to set up Belly Drum Linoone...something similar with Heal Wish or Memento could be used to help Charizard.

But not to turn this away from Stealth Rock...you don't have to have a team full of spinners. You could build a team that has good resistances/wish support or just not even let your opponent set up in the first place =/.

Aw, suck it up. Stealth Rock is like Tyranitar: reliable, very few things counter it, and every team should anticipate it and have a way to work around it. I mean, come on, Spikes were a huge problem in Advance which required every team to have a Spinner, just a SR is now.

In Advance, Ghosts still shut down Spinners and Spikes caused massive damage when set up properly. The only thing now is that what was strong against Spikes last generation is weak against SR, and vice versa. Adapt. It's what we as humans do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)