ORAS Ubers Strident Stasis

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Strident Stasis
-:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:--:¦:-

I've been relentlessly experimenting with Klefki + Ho-Oh balance for a while now, composing a plethora of builds, and this is the culmination of said process. It is still a somewhat crude ensemble, however, it has been working out consistently well. There is absolutely no unbeatable matchup for this team, being able to work around every team, despite it's inherent flaws. Anyway, here is how I assembled the team:

Teambuilding:
  • The team was conceived from the aforementioned core (Klefki and Ho-Oh). Klefki being my favourite mon and basically a staple in most balance builds, coupled with Ho-Oh which pressures a considerable portion of the Meta as well as dismantling teams apart.
  • Following those two, I decided to introduce the presence of Primal-Groudon, seeing as I needed a Stealth Rock setter and Primal-Groudon itself is able to bolster any core with its ability to undertake reliably a multitude of functions.
  • I decided to then add Xerneas, as I needed a potent and reliable revenge-killer while conjointly providing a check to Dark-types such as Darkrai and Yveltal.
  • Since my Primal-Groudon was mainly tailored towards checking special attackers, I required something that could provide physical defensive utility, and since my build was devoid of a Dark-type presence, I decided to include Yveltal.
  • Finally, I required some form of hazard removal, as well as a means to reliably check threats such as Mega Salamence and Primal-Groudon, so I decided to utilise the vacant slot for Arceus-Water.
Individual Scrutiny:

✦ Klefkwi ✦ (Klefki) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Play Rough

Klefki provides crucial amounts of support, from stopping fast sweepers from doing too much damage to distributing status for the likes of Xerneas/Ho-Oh to tear teams down, as well as being my secondary Xerneas check. Thunder Wave heavily cripples a large portion of the tier as well as allowing other members of the team to take advantage of specific Pokemon. Spikes put enormous amounts of pressure on the opponent and the team benefits hugely from stacking hazards (provided the opposing source of Stealth Rocks has fainted, since Ho-Oh is substantially less effective when rocks are up as well as my team not appreciating rocks in general, meaning Defog is always a priority on my part). Finally, I opted to go for Toxic + Attack since these allow other members of the team (such as Ho-Oh and Scarf Xerneas) to completely tear through opposing cores after checks are crippled.

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Sucker Punch

This is my primary check to Arceus and Arceus-Ghost, as well as my secondary answer to Swords Dance Groudon given that my Arceus-Water has fainted. This set is by far my favourite Yveltal build, since it takes hits from the likes of Mega Kangashkan, Arceus and other physical attackers in the tier whilst being able to do sizeable damage with Foul Play. This is also my Deoxys-A and Mewtwo switch-in, being able to damage them in return. Toxic cripples switch-ins, most notably Xerneas as well as being able to wear down Pokemon who could otherwise present issues. I am aware that Sucker Punch isn't optimal for a defensive-oriented build, however, since my team was lacking priority and after continuous testing, I came to realise that said move provides so much use, being somewhat unexpected on defensive sets as well as being able to take down weakened threats, even though it meant I would have to give up Taunt, which is also extremely useful.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
-
- Geomancy

My revenge killer. Modest Scarf Xerneas is my Darkrai check as well as my primary win condition after threats such as Primal Groudon and Aegislash have been weakened. The only move Xerneas really requires is Moonblast, which is why the Scarf set abuses that ludicrous special attack stack (Modest + 252 SpA) which coupled with Fairy Aura and the speed investment + the choice scarf, being able to completely decimate anything that does not resist it, as well as being able to come in after a fainted ally and knockout the opposing threat. The main use for this, however, is to punch holes into the opposing team, to pave way for something like Ho-Oh to clean up what's left, luring in Primal Groudon and weakening it as well as switching into Darkrai. This mon is an absolute force behind screens, which is a nice bonus on a Dual Screens Klefki team. It is also a good lead against Deoxys-S teams, since it can 2HKO and usually gets a free hit due to Taunt.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Thunder Wave

My primary Xerneas and Primal Kyogre check. Synergises well with Arceus-Water in terms of checking Kyogre, being able to double back and forth to get Desolate Land up. The SpDef set is pretty standard nowadays, being able to sponge special hits, as well as set up rocks and fire off potent Precipice Blades and/or Lava Plumes. I could go on about the plural capacities of this Pokemon in the tier, but its credentials are very much known by anyone that has delved into the meta.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover
- Defog

Arceus Water serves as my "glue mon", being able to patch up the team's weakness to things like Ho-Oh, Mega Salamence, etc as well as providing a safe switch-in into Primal Groudon. The fact that it beats Groudon is huge, since this is the most common Stealth Rock setter in the tier, meaning it can Defog reliably as well as wear down Groudon for Xerneas. Not possessing the STAB Judgement is less than ideal, however, I was extremely pressed for Defog meaning I had to sacrifice the move, which doesn't hurt this mon all too much apart from being walled by Steel types (which isn't a huge deal since the team features both Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh). Ice Beam hits Mega Salamence and Rayquaza super-effectively, preventing them from damaging my team, as well as dealing with flying-types in general. Ice is obviously a great offensive typing, meaning it won't lose too much from spamming this (especially since freezes happen). Toxic cripples switch-ins as well as wearing down Primal Groudon and beating it 1v1 most of the time. Recover is a given on any support arceus form, since it provides the longevity necessary to switch into multiple hits as well as being able to stall out the toxic damage. The final move is Defog, which is imperative to any Ho-Oh team.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Substitute

Ho-Oh is the focus of this team and usually what decimates opposition. I cannot stress enough how underrated this set is in the current meta. The bird forces a switch almost every time it comes in, meaning it gets a free substitute and fires off Adamant 196 Atk Brave Birds/Sacred Fires, which severely hinders any form of check the opponent may possess. Substitute also means it can avoid status, which is a huge bonus, and since it is blessed with an enviable ability in Regenerator, it can switch out after dishing out hard hits and regain the Life Orb + Substitute health after coming back in. The attacking moves are pretty self-explanatory. Brave Bird and Sacred Fire are the Dual STABs capable of crippling a large portion of the tier, as well as potentially being able to burn any checks, severely hindering their longevity and capacity to check this mon. Recover is a means of increasing longevity behind the substitute, since it does lose a lot of health from Life Orb and/or recoil. Uninvested Arceus-Water does not break the substitute with Ice Beam or Judgement (given you have Light Screen up) and neither does Xerneas prior to Geomancy with Moonblast. The EV spread is decently bulky, meaning this mon can take several hits before dying, making it a late-game cleaner or simply something that can come in and punch holes into the opposition.

Click for Importable

Threat List:

Arceus-Rock is honestly the main threat to the team, especially the Refresh + Calm Mind variant. It can switch into Ho-Oh/Yveltal and I have no real way of reliably beating it if my Groudon is severely weakened. It can be played around with Arceus-Water and Groudon, but it is always a huge threat whenever it is present.

Dialga can also be a huge issue, especially the Thunder variants, since it can hurt Ho-Oh, and since most run Shuca + Rocks, it can set up rocks against pretty much anything on the team, which is an issue given Ho-Oh would be a way to check it.

Arceus-Ground can come in "for free" on Groudon and can be an issue to the team. However, it can usually be outplayed, since the physical set can be somewhat checked by Arceus-Water and the special set which is most common can't touch Ho-Oh. Even though the physical set is an issue, it doesn't appreciate burns, meaning it can switch so many times into Lava Plume or Sacred Fire.

I am somewhat pressed for time, so I guess I'll add in shoutouts later :P

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On this particular team I feel like a redundancy is created by using both Klefki and Scarf Xern. Yes a strong defense against Thunder Darkrai and offensive Yveltal is warranted, but this combination is opening up the team way more to things like Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and opposing Spikers / hazard setters and needs to be appropriately accounted for. This is problematic because the team lends itself toward letting Arceus-Water get overloaded. It's the single anti-hazard mon, has to support Ho-Oh and Yveltal, and is the forefront defense against Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Mega Salamence. This team wants Defog off Arc Water, and additional ways to handle things like P Don, P Ogre, and hazard setters. There are a few different ways I think this can be worked.

One option is to replace Scarf Xern with Latios and then make Ho-Oh the sleep fodder via Sleep Talk and a Choice Band. This does decrease options versus Thunder Darkrai, but with sleep fodder and Klefki it's not unmanageable. What Latios does here is that it helps to cover P Don and P Ogre, while also being able to Defog. This takes significant pressure off of Arc Water and also allows it to run Judgment (good for Ho-Oh and chipping at Toxic immunes). Since Ho-Oh does well against Spikers, it should be used to keep them away or take favorable exchanges. HP Fire use on Latios can further annoy opposing Klekfi since it 2HKOs, leaving switch-ins questioning if they want to be sacked just to status Latios.

Another idea is to keep Klefki and Xerneas, but switch Yveltal out for Giratina-O. With double fairy, this team has enough anti-Darkrai support for swapping Yveltal out to a Darkrai weak mon. The reason behind Giratina-O is quite similar to Latios: better performance against P Don and P Ogre while being able to Defog. It also functions as the team's primary SD Arceus check, being better against Stone Edge EKiller and Swords Dance Arceus-Ground than Yveltal. You can run a physical set in order to retain physical priority. Again, Arceus-Water should run Judgement instead of Defog. I'm not sure I understand why you run screens on Klefki here. You don't have any setup sweepers that can clutch through when support by screens (things like Scarf Xern aren't getting through P Don, Ho-Oh, or Steels regardless of screens). This team much prefers to have a Toxic immunity that can throw Toxic itself. I suppose you could keep one of the screens for situational defensive purposes, but Play Rough is a good move too. I think this second alternative stays a bit more true to the intention of this team, so that's my recommendation.

Summary:
- Run this Giratina-O over Yveltal
Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Force
- Run Judgment over Defog on Arceus-Water
- Run Toxic on Klefki

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
On this particular team I feel like a redundancy is created by using both Klefki and Scarf Xern. Yes a strong defense against Thunder Darkrai and offensive Yveltal is warranted, but this combination is opening up the team way more to things like Primal Groudon, Ho-Oh, and opposing Spikers / hazard setters and needs to be appropriately accounted for. This is problematic because the team lends itself toward letting Arceus-Water get overloaded. It's the single anti-hazard mon, has to support Ho-Oh and Yveltal, and is the forefront defense against Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Mega Salamence. This team wants Defog off Arc Water, and additional ways to handle things like P Don, P Ogre, and hazard setters. There are a few different ways I think this can be worked.

One option is to replace Scarf Xern with Latios and then make Ho-Oh the sleep fodder via Sleep Talk and a Choice Band. This does decrease options versus Thunder Darkrai, but with sleep fodder and Klefki it's not unmanageable. What Latios does here is that it helps to cover P Don and P Ogre, while also being able to Defog. This takes significant pressure off of Arc Water and also allows it to run Judgment (good for Ho-Oh and chipping at Toxic immunes). Since Ho-Oh does well against Spikers, it should be used to keep them away or take favorable exchanges. HP Fire use on Latios can further annoy opposing Klekfi since it 2HKOs, leaving switch-ins questioning if they want to be sacked just to status Latios.

Another idea is to keep Klefki and Xerneas, but switch Yveltal out for Giratina-O. With double fairy, this team has enough anti-Darkrai support for swapping Yveltal out to a Darkrai weak mon. The reason behind Giratina-O is quite similar to Latios: better performance against P Don and P Ogre while being able to Defog. It also functions as the team's primary SD Arceus check, being better against Stone Edge EKiller and Swords Dance Arceus-Ground than Yveltal. You can run a physical set in order to retain physical priority. Again, Arceus-Water should run Judgement instead of Defog. I'm not sure I understand why you run screens on Klefki here. You don't have any setup sweepers that can clutch through when support by screens (things like Scarf Xern aren't getting through P Don, Ho-Oh, or Steels regardless of screens). This team much prefers to have a Toxic immunity that can throw Toxic itself. I suppose you could keep one of the screens for situational defensive purposes, but Play Rough is a good move too. I think this second alternative stays a bit more true to the intention of this team, so that's my recommendation.

Summary:
- Run this Giratina-O over Yveltal
Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Force
- Run Judgment over Defog on Arceus-Water
- Run Toxic on Klefki
Firstly, thank you for the feedback. I agree that occasionally Arceus-Water does get overwhelmed, being asked to perform a multitude of roles. I was also contemplating the Klefki being changed to Toxic and Play Rough over screens, so the suggestion definitely pushes me in that direction even further. As for the Defog suggestions, I am more inclined towards Gira-O over Yveltal than the Lati + Banded Ho-Oh combo, since I do not enjoy using banded Ho-Oh at all. My only qualm here would be that now Ghostceus could be an issue, as well as losing the switch into Mewtwo + Deoxys-A, but I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

Calais

Banned deucer.
The first thing that comes out as me when viewing this team is the lack of a mega. Also how your team has no ho-oh switchs as icebeam arceus can't be considered a check. Usually i would recommend running arceus dragon>arceus water in this cause but I think that this would be sub optimal as it stacks your fairy weaknesses which also happens to be your physically defensive walls. Instead I would suggest running hex/wisp mega gengar instead of scarf xerneas. For starters, you retain a mon that outspeeds darkrai and hex also lets you deal with arceus ground which you stated was a threat. Also lead mega gengar has a nice matchup vs dialga as focus blast usually kills from my experience. Secondly i would suggest running lugia>yveltal as you then have a salamence check and still retain a defensive wall that can check sd arceus forms to an extent. This allows you to run judgment on arceus-water as you now have a ho-oh switch in. I would also run toxic/thunderwave > screens on klefki as your team appreciates status spam as is. Heres an importable of the team with the implement changes

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heal Block
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Spikes

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 208 HP / 244 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Protect
- Focus Blast

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Whirlwind

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Judgment
- Toxic

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My only qualm here would be that now Ghostceus could be an issue, as well as losing the switch into Mewtwo + Deoxys-A, but I'll give it a shot.
Don't see how SD Arc Ghost is an issue when you have Shadow Force Gira-O and Sub Ho-Oh (it also doesn't setup easily on anything). Check it via Toxic and playing around Shadow Force.

You don't do any worse against Mewtwo / Deo-A with these changes. Physical Ghost priority replaces Sucker Punch and you have Keys. Def Yveltal doesn't like switching into Deoxys-A anyways because Knock Off is crippling and Ice Beam OHKOs. Scarf Xern also helps against offensive psychics.

Your Team is Pretty Good Because of that Klefki Set , Idk if it Needs any Change but Try Safeguard on Klefki but this is not a Necessary one because Safeguard Support isnt needed for this team However if u want Extra support , you can Try it over Twave or Spikes. Another Suggestion is to Change Your Ho-Oh to Sleep talk Banded ones. so You can remove Scarf Xern. The Thing that your teams lacks is , Pressuring Your Opponent by Set Up . Try Xern Set with AromaTherapy , Hidden Power Ground, Moonblast and Geomancy with Power Herb so you can remove Status problem Of your team pokes and Safeguard isnt needed anymore on Klefki. You also got a Straight Switchin to RockCeus .Thank You and I hope you Love my Suggestions , Nice team and also don't say that You Are weak to Both Physical and Special GroundCeus lol. Yveltal , WaterCeus , Xerneas pairs can Kill it easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)