Stufful [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

• Decent Bulk and a fair base health stat
  • Necessary Coverage against checks and counters(excluding fairy-type coverage)
  • Powerful Stab moves along with the right boosting status moves.
  • Gen 7's new addition of the ability Fluffy which is relatively vital to this pokemon's Viability.
  • Fluffy's downsides as well as a brief overview on when it should get gametime in as well as opposing threats for this pokemon.
With access to adequate bulk, necessary coverage, powerful stab(same-type-ability-boost)moves, and its unique signature ability: fluffy, Stufful proves itself to be a worthy asset as a physical soft-check to the many hard-hitters that this metagame has to offer as well as a nice win-condition when given the right support. Due to it's relatively physical toughness, thanks to fluffy halving all contact moves, Stufful can easily setup its attack stat for a potential sweep and/or prove itself a nuisance to teams that lack substantial special attackers. (there is more to write)

[SET]
name: Bulk Up Behemoth
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Brick Break / Return / Facade
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Rock Slide / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Payback
item: Eviolite
ability: Fluffy
nature: Adamant
evs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 196 Def / 40 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- Bulk Up is what this set revolves around; not only solidifies Stufful's already physically bulky nature, but also raises Stufful's attack stat by 1 stage, immediately making it a threat to be recognized.
- Brick Break isn't one of Stufful's most powerful moves, but it is the most consistent STAB move by not having any drops when using it.
-Return / Facade act as another means of STAB for its Normal typing. Facade allows Stufful to abuse the very likely possibility of getting statused.
-Earthquake is an essential must-have coverage move for Stufful in order for it to not get walled by notorious poison types like mareanie, Skrelp, trubbish, Salandit and other Pokemon that can resist/are immune to Stufful's fighting/normal type attacks such as Honedge, Litwick.
- Rock Slide is necessary coverage for those flying/bug type pokemon that can potentially pose as switchins to Stufful such as Rowlet, Archen, Dewpider, Spinarak, and even Cutiefly before it was banned.
- Ice Punch is more for the bulky grass type pokemon such as Foongus and Budew, as well as being able to hit Flying types too.
-Thunder Punch hits flying types relatively hard as well, but is more of a reliable safety check on burdening Slowpokes.
-Finally, payback allows Stufful to super effectively hit those ghost type pokemon that pose threats to Stufful due to typing.
Set Details
========
- Stufful's EV spread allows it to hit 25 hp / 17 atk / 14 def(evio numbers) / 12 spdef (evio numbers) / 11 speed, which enables it to retain its fatness all while being fairly strong in physical attack.
-Eviolite adds to Stufful's bulk by x 1.5
- Adamant nature helps Stufful to reach the 17 atk
- Ability: Fluffy makes Stufful the massive goliath it is; Halves all contact moves which contributes to Stufful's already god-like physical bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Stufful should find itself in on physical attackers not named Timburr, or pokemon with type disadvantages. Stufful can also find itself in through memento or healing wish support. Stufful is mediocre and is two hit ko'd by most of the common special attackers within the tier, so it should refrain from staying in against these type of pokemon as well as any fire type pokemon in general. It is good to support Stufful before hand by eliminating certain special attackers and fire pokemon.

Team Options
========

Stufful appreciates teammates that can take hits from fairy, fighting, flying, and fire type Pokemon as well as pokemon that are invested in spdef. These pokemon include relative poison types such as trubbish or skrelp as well as foongus who all have in common the ability to switch in to either strong physical fighters or hard hitting special fairy types. Chinchou would be a very useful pokemon to have paired up with Stufful as it not only provides the necessary typing to resist fire and flying type moves, but also heal bell which acts as a cleric for any potential status inflicted on Stufful. Pokemon such as diglett or any other trappers such as gothita are nice to pave the way for Stufful's sweep(I.E gothita finishing off croagunk or mareanie.. allowing Stufful to get in a clean win; or diglett coming in and ridding Stufful of the many endangering fire types that are effective towards Stufful and it's ability Fluffy which takes twice the damage from fire type moves).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Aerial Ace- you can opt for this as coverage in case your team doesn't provide quite enough support vs. Fighting types such as Timburr, mienfoo, or pancham in which might cause some trouble for stufful. It's also handy for bulky grass types that may prove hindering to Stufful's sweep, such as cottonee or foongus.

Checks and Counters
===================
  • Fire Types in General (fluffy really takes a toll on Stufful due to its x2 weakness to fire type moves)
  • Super Effective Special attackers pretty much nullify Stufful the entire game (I.E np vullaby, Abra, ..etc)
  • Pretty much Every fairy type checks Stufful which is why it's good to add a trapper in order to deal with these.(I.E most notably Spritzee, snubbul, Morellul, cottonee)
  • Timburr isn't a Pokémon that you would want to stay in on, but Stufful can take its drain punches relatively well after a bulk up or two prior to Timburr coming in.
  • Standard Pumpkaboo-Super: This Pokémon is able to come in and outspeed stufful's given spread in order to fire off a willo-wisp rendering Stufful crippled.

Last edited:
NOT QC

I searched for Stufful's complete learnset, and I have a couple of tips that could help your analysis:

1) it has access to Swords Dance which is, in my honest opinion, usable with an Eviolite bulkier spread: in fact, it can hit for more damage, while also taking hits relatively well thanks to Fluffy + Eviolite.

2) you underlined many times that Timburr is something to avoid like the plague, for Stufful: however, the standard Gen VI set for Timburr (116 Atk with Eviolite Bulk Up) has heavy issues against your softy friend:

- when unboosted, it misses the 2HKO with Drain Punch, even if your Stufful is unboosted;
- even if Timburr is at +1 Atk (because of Bulk Up or Guts), it will always 2HKO your unboosted Stufful (and your softy friend has a super-slim chance to live 2 boosted Drain Punches, even if it has not used Bulk Up on its own!)
- it will never 4HKO your unboosted Stufful with +1 Mach Punch (note: you're faster than Timburr lol)
- in other words, nothing Timburr has can OHKO Stufful if Timburr is not boosted by Bulk Up and Guts: the former alone is not enough.

3) as another option, Stufful gets Aerial Ace, which can work if you opt for Swords Dance:

+2 116+ Atk Stufful Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 14-18 (58-75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 116+ Atk Stufful Aerial Ace vs. 132 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Croagunk: 18-22 (78-96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 116+ Atk Stufful Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 14-18 (67-86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I find it quite attractive, remember it for the Other Options section ;)

Again, not QC, but hope I helped :)

Last edited:
NOT QC

I searched for Stufful's complete learnset, and I have a couple of questions that could help your analysis:

1) it has access to Swords Dance which is, in my honest opinion, usable with an Eviolite bulkier spread: in fact, it can hit for more damage, while also taking hits relatively well thanks to Fluffy + Eviolite.

2) you underlined many times that Timburr is something to avoid like the plague, for Stufful: however, the standard Gen VI set for Timburr (116 Atk with Eviolite Bulk Up) has heavy issues against your softy friend:

- when unboosted, it misses the 2HKO with Drain Punch, even if your Stufful is unboosted;
- even if Timburr is at +1 Atk, it will always 2HKO your unboosted Stufful (and your softy friend has a super-slim chance to live 2 boosted Drain Punches, even if it is unboosted!)
- it will never 4HKO your unboosted Stufful with +1 Mach Punch (note: you're faster than Timburr lol)
- in other words, nothing Timburr has can OHKO Stufful if Timburr is not boosted by Guts: Bulk Up alone is not enough.

3) as another option, Stufful gets Aerial Ace, which can work if you opt for Swords Dance:

+2 116+ Atk Stufful Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 14-18 (58-75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 116+ Atk Stufful Aerial Ace vs. 132 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Croagunk: 18-22 (78-96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 116+ Atk Stufful Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 14-18 (67-86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I find it quite attractive, remember it for the Other Options section ;)

Again, not QC, but hope I helped :)
I was actually noting that Stufful is able to take timburr's hits rather well(especially with a +1 or +2 boost in defense. I believe you thought that I was under the impression that Stufful is checked by timburr? I'm just saying that you wouldn't really want to stay in vs a full health timburr without any boosts, but thanks for your other options aerial ace set. The whole point of this is bulk up, I understand swords dance is an alternate option but with bulk up, this thing is practically fatter than Chansey. Although, I appreciate the help! Gl

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is this set any good? Have you any replays of it working? I just can't see Stufful with no form of recovery managing to sweep with Bulk Up. 4 attacks or a RestTalk set both feel superior to me, though this is mostly theorymon

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As a follow up to rowan, afaik SD > BU and you should never sweep with either. resttalk is bad though, and 4 attack is incredibly not threatening (bu is too!). set should either be sd 3 attack or just 4 attack.

in overview make sure to mention how no knock off = easily walled. 15 attack is p bad too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)