LC Stunky

[OVERVIEW]

With access to Pursuit and Sucker Punch, Stunky is able to trap and remove strong special attackers like Gastly and Abra very easily. Stunky also is able to carve its own niche as a Pursuit trapper that can remove hazards from the field. Its very nice defensive typing grants it an immunity to Psychic-type moves and a weakness to only Ground. However, this one weakness leaves Stunky vulnerable to Pokemon like Diglett, Mudbray, and Drilbur, which are very common. Unfortunately for Stunky, its abilities are mediocre at best; Stench doesn't really help Stunky do its job at all, and Aftermath is rarely useful. Stunky also struggles offensively because it lacks physical coverage options, and it typically has a hard time doing anything aside from Pursuit trapping and removing hazards. Stunky's complete lack of recovery leaves it prone to being worn down over the course of the battle. Alolan Grimer is almost always a better Pursuit trapper due to its better bulk and access to Knock Off.

[SET]
name: Offensive Utility
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Defog
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Fire Blast / Memento
item: Eviolite
ability: Aftermath
nature: Careful
evs: 252 Atk / 60 Def / 188 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Pursuit deals heavy damage to a foe that switches out, and it allows Stunky to trap Abra, Gastly, and weakened Pokemon. Sucker Punch allows Stunky to hit and generally KO the opposing threat before it can attack Stunky. Defog is useful because it lets Stunky remove entry hazards, and it is the main reason to use Stunky over other Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer. The final slot is typically reserved for a coverage move or a support option. Sludge Bomb gains a STAB bonus and lets Stunky hit Fairy- and Grass-types. It is able to 2HKO Snivy, preventing it from setting up on Stunky, and it OHKOes Cottonee. Fire Blast lets Stunky hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed that can otherwise wall Stunky, since they resist or are immune to Stunky's other moves. Fire Blast 2HKOes Pawniard after Stealth Rock damage and Ferroseed regardless of Stealth Rock damage. Stunky can also use Memento after it is weakened so that one of its teammates is given an opportunity to set up and possibly sweep the opposing team.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment is used so Stunky can hit hard. Aftermath can damage physical attackers like Pawniard and Mienfoo if they KO Stunky. Stunky is equipped with an Eviolite so it can have as much bulk as possible to take less damage from attacks. The majority of the remaining EVs go into Special Defense alongside a Careful nature to help Stunky tank attacks from Abra and Gastly. With this, Stunky has enough Special Defense to avoid being 2HKOed by Abra's Dazzling Gleam. 4 EVs are invested in Speed so that Stunky can outspeed all Pokemon with 13 Speed. The remaining EVs are put into Defense so that Stunky gets an extra point from Eviolite and so it can take more priority hits like Corphish's Aqua Jet and Timburr's Mach Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Stunky is able to compress several roles into one Pokemon. You should use Stunky to Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra and Gastly and to remove entry hazards from the field. If needed, you can switch Stunky into either Abra or Gastly, but if you do so, it is likely that Stunky will be too weakened to do very much after eliminating the opposing Pokemon. You should avoid switching Stunky into Pokemon that it does not wall like Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Staryu because it has no recovery and does not like taking continuous chip damage. Generally, it's recommended to try bringing in Stunky after one of your slower Pokemon uses U-turn or Volt Switch. After one of your Pokemon has been KOed, you can also send in Stunky to Pursuit trap a weakened target.

Team Options
========

Setup sweepers that like having strong and fast special attackers gone, like Zigzagoon, Omanyte, and Vullaby, really appreciate Stunky's presence on their team. Fighting-types are also very helpful to Stunky, since they appreciate Abra and Gastly being removed while also dealing with Pawniard and other Steel-types, which Stunky typically has trouble with. Grass-types like Snivy and Flying-types like Vullaby are good teammates for Stunky, since they either resist or are immune to Ground. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull also help Stunky out by putting offensive pressure on opposing Fighting-type Pokemon, which take very little damage from Stunky's attacks. Sturdy users like Magnemite and Dwebble appreciate Stunky's ability to remove entry hazards and would also be good teammates. Any other Pokemon that benefit from Stunky's entry hazard removal, like Vullaby and Diglett, are good additions to Stunky's team. Stunky's ability to use Memento makes it a great partner for setup sweepers like Zigzagoon and Tirtouga.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Stunky can run a full Pursuit trapping set with two coverage moves or two utility moves, but this is outclassed by Alolan Grimer, which has better bulk and better moves. Stunky can also run a dedicated entry hazard removal set, but this is fairly weak because Stunky has little offensive presence aside from its Pursuit trapping ability. Stunky can also run sets that only have 4 attacks, but this is typically a waste of Stunky's abilities and you'd be better off using a different Pokemon instead. Stunky is able to use Taunt instead of a coverage move or Memento, but it likes having the coverage. If you do run Taunt, make sure to invest more EVs in Speed so Stunky will be faster than most opposing Pokemon. Explosion is an option to run as Stunky's fourth move to hit the Pokemon that switches in after Stunky traps something, but it typically does not do much damage to bulky Pokemon, so a coverage move is better. Stunky can also use Haze to prevent setup sweepers from setting up on it. Darkinium Z is an option if you want to use either Z-Memento or Black Hole Eclipse, but this isn't recommended because Stunky prefers to have the bulk that Eviolite gives it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Magnemite and Pawniard are threats to watch out for, as they are able to hit Stunky relatively hard. Even if Stunky runs Fire Blast, most Steel-types are fairly bulky and will not take large amounts of damage from Stunky.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types deal super effective damage against Stunky. Stunky's mediocre attacking stats make it so they can easily switch in and KO Stunky. Mudbray and Drilbur can tank two hits from Stunky and KO it with Earthquake, while Diglett will need to predict the move Stunky is using correctly to successfully switch in on and KO it.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Since Stunky is not a very powerful attacker, Pokemon like Munchlax, Slowpoke, Mareanie, and Rufflet can wear it down while recovering off the damage they take.

Last edited:
ready for QC!
Not sure if I should be adding a full utility set with trapping, defog, and taunt, but I put running taunt in OO.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
overview:
beef it up a bit, you shouldn't really mention it's viability in ORAS, (irrelevant) talk about like it's good defensive typing and how it can remove some of the most offensive pokemon in the metagame with relative ease.

set: memento -> explosion

set details:
bring up that if you aren't running a special move, an alternate spread can be run

team options:
remove rufflet, add a smasher, doesn't really matter which one
mention fairy types like spritz and snub
add things that enjoy hazards being gone, such as sturdy users

OO:
move explosion here
mention darkium-z and the potential it has here
haze

good enough for now.

QC 1/3

Implemented!

The current set I have has the minimum number of SpA evs (plus a -SpA nature) so i'm not sure why you would change them if you're not running a special move. The reasoning for the minimum possible SpA is that sludge bomb still 2hkoes Snivy and OHKOes Cottonee, and Fire Blast still 2hkoes Ferroseed and Pawniard. (Sludge 3hkoes Spritzee w/o any poison ticks, so it may be worth switching up the evs for that alone? not sure).
Those were the only four/five I was thinking of hitting with the coverage moves when I build with stunky, so if i'm missing something please let me know.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • I feel like this is short, but I'm short on things to add, so good for now
[SET]
  • This name works
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention that Ferroseed is 2HKOed by Fire Blast, while Pawniard is 2HKOed after rocks

Set Details
========
  • Mention that the special bulk investment allows Stunky to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Abra's Dazzling Gleam. Also mention that it hits an Eviolite number
  • Mention examples of priority moves Stunky takes better (Timburr's Mach Punch, Corphish's Aqua Jet). Also mention that the physical bulk investment hits an Eviolite number
Usage Tips
========
  • Mention to avoid switching into any Pokemon that Stunky can't wall, and in stead try to bring in on a free switch, such as after a teammate has gone down, or via a slow U-turn or Volt Switch.
  • Mention that Stunky can also be used to trap other Pokemon if they are weakened enough
Team Options
========

good

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

good

Checks and Counters
===================
  • There should be a blank line between each section
  • Pawniard does not resist all of Stunky's moves, just its STABs. Change the wording. Also, this section should just be put into the Steel-types section.
  • Mention examples in every section. Pawniard should be the main example for Steel-types, but Ferroseed and Magnemite also work. Mudbray and Diglett are good examples here. Also mention that Diglett can trap Stunky
QC 2/3, write me up Scotty
QC Stamp final.gif

Implemented!
Added some stuff at the top that i'll talk over you with, then i'll write this up.

e: talked it over, its all good
writing it up now!

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* I'd mention all of the pros that come with using Stunky before saying that Alolan Grimer gives it tough competition. Pros should all be mentioned before you talk about any of its cons, so I'd say that its able to carve a niche over Alolan Grimer as a trapper and defogger, then in a later sentence mention that it still faces heavy competition.
* I'd say that despite its typing, its one weakness is to a very common attack type, since ground-types like Diglett, Mudbray and Drilbur are fairly common.
* Add that its lack of recovery leaves it really prone to being worn down

Set
Looks good

Moves
Fine

Set Details
* Give examples of physical attackers that Aftermath may be able to hit, like Pawniard and Mienfoo.
* Change 'SpD' to Special Defense. You shouldn't abbreviate anything when writing an analysis, as it may confuse newer players and just looks a little messy.

Usage Tips
* Nothing here except that you should give examples of Pokemon you say Stunky doesn't wall.

Team Options
* One of the main reasons to use Stunky is because of Defog, but I don't see any examples of Pokemon that appreciate Defog support. Give examples of hazard-weak pokemon that appreciate Stunky's ability to remove entry hazards off of the field.
* Give some examples of Pokemon that also like Memento support, such as Tirtouga and Vullaby.

Other Options
Looks good

Checks and Counters
* Ferroseed is OHKOed by Fire Blast. I suggest you remove its mention here since you're talking about Steel-types that tank Fire Blast.

Implement these changes and you'll have my 3/3

implemented everything!
I included Sturdy users as teammates since they benefit from Defog. I didn't have examples of Sturdy users though, so I added those in.
Ready for GP!

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
AMCHECK:
This will not count as one of the two required checks unless it is stamped by an official GP member.

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma

[OVERVIEW]

Stunky is one of the few Pursuit trappers in LC, and it does its' its job well (Tbh I don't think this first sentence is necessary. You can just say: "With Stunky's access to both Pursuit and Sucker Punch..."). With both Pursuit and Sucker Punch, it is able to trap and remove strong special attackers like Gastly and Abra very easily. Stunky also is able to carve its own niche as a Pursuit trapper that can remove hazards from the field. Stunky has a very nice defensive typing, which grants it an immunity from to Psychic-type moves and a weakness to only one type of Pokemon: Ground-types. However, SM added Alolan Grimer to the tier,(RC) which (no generational changes) is almost always a better Pursuit trapper due to its' its better bulk and access to Knock Off. Stunky's one Ground-type weakness,(RC) Ground,(RC) is also a very common one,(RC) as leaves it weak to Ground-types like Diglett, Mudbray, and Drilbur,(AC) which are very common (the whole sentence structure was iffy and it included a lot of redundancy. I condensed it. You can change "leaves it weak to" to "leaves it vulnerable" or something like that). Unfortunately for Stunky, its abilities are mediocre at best:(remove colon);(add semicolon) Stench doesn't really help Stunky do its job at all, and Aftermath is rarely useful. Stunky also struggles offensively because it lacks physical coverage options, and it typically has a hard time doing anything aside from Pursuit trapping and removing hazards. Stunky also lacks any form of recovery, which leaves it prone to being worn down over the course of the battle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Pursuit and Sucker punch are key to this set, as they allow you to trap Abra, Gastly, and weakened Pokemon. Pursuit prevents the Pokemon you are trying to switch foe from switching out from leaving the battlefield, and it allows Stunky to trap Abra,(AC) Gastly,(AC) and weakened Pokemon.(period) (This makes it much clearer and more condensed. Also, Sucker Punch doesn't allow Stunky to trap Pokemon) Sucker Punch allows Stunky to hit and generally KO the opposing threat before it can attack Stunky. Defog is also useful on Stunky because it lets you Stunky remove entry hazards, and it is the main reason you should be using to use Stunky over other Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer. Your The final slot is typically reserved for a coverage move or a support option. Sludge Bomb gains the a STAB bonus and lets Stunky hit Fairy- and Grass-types. It is able to 2hko 2HKO Snivy, so Snivy is unable to set up on it, and it OHKOes Cottonee. Fire Blast lets Stunky hit Steel-Types like Pawniard and Ferroseed,(RC) which can otherwise wall Stunky,(AC) since they resist or are immune to Stunky's other moves. Fire Blast 2HKOes Pawniard after rocks Stealth Rock and Ferroseed regardless of rocks being on the field Stealth Rock. Stunky can use Memento after it is weakened so that one of your team members is given an opportunity to set up and possibly sweep the opposing team.

Set Details
========

The maximum Maximum number of EVs that can go in the Attack investment is used stat are put there so Stunky can hit hard (very awkwardly worded). Stunky's ability, Aftermath, can damage physical attackers like Pawniard and Mienfoo if they KO Stunky. Stunky is equipped with an Eviolite so that it can have as much bulk as possible and so it can to take less damage from attacks. The majority of the remaining EVs and the positive a Careful nature go into Special Defense to help Stunky tank attacks from Abra and Gastly. With this, Stunky has enough Special Defense to avoid being 2HKOed by Abra's Dazzling Gleam. 4 EVs are invested in Speed so that Stunky can outspeed all Pokemon in the with 13 Speed speed tier. The remaining EVs are put into Defense so that Stunky hits an Eviolite number and so that it can take more priority hits like Corphish's Aqua Jet and Timburr's Mach Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Stunky is able to compress several roles into one pokemon Pokemon. You should use Stunky to Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra and Gastly,(RC) and to remove entry hazards from the field. If needed, you can switch Stunky into either Abra or Gastly, but if you do so,(AC) it is likely that Stunky will be too weakened to do very much after eliminating the opposing Pokemon. You should avoid switching Stunky into Pokemon that it does not wall like Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Staryu because it has no recovery and does not like taking continuous chip damage. Generally, it's recommended to try and bring in Stunky after one of your slower Pokemon uses U-turn or Volt switch Switch. After one of your Pokemon has been KOed, you can also send in Stunky to Pursuit trap a weakened opponent.
[add line break]
Team Options
========

Setup sweepers that like having strong and fast special attackers gone, like Zigzagoon, Omanyte, and Vullaby,(AC) really appreciate Stunky's presence on their team. Fighting-(add hyphen)types are also very helpful to Stunky,(AC) since they appreciate Abra and Gastly being removed while also dealing with Pawniard and other Steel-types, which Stunky typically has trouble with. Grass-Types Grass-types like Snivy and Flying-Types Flying-types like Vullaby are good teammates for Stunky,(AC) since they either resist or are immune to the one type that Stunky is weak to: Ground. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull also help Stunky out by putting offensive pressure on opposing Fighting-type Pokemon, which take very little damage from Stunky's attacks. Sturdy users like Magnemite and Dwebble appreciate Stunky's ability to remove entry hazards and would also be good teammates. Any other Pokemon which benefit that benefits from Stunky's hazard removal, like Vullaby and Diglett, are a good addition to Stunky's team. Stunky's ability to use Memento makes it a great partner for setup sweepers like Zigzagoon and Tirtouga.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

You Stunky can run a full Pursuit trapping set with two coverage moves/utility moves and two utility moves, but this is outclassed by Alolan Grimer, which has better bulk and better moves. You Stunky can also run only a an entry hazard removal set on Stunky, but this is fairly weak because Stunky has little offensive presence aside from its' its Pursuit trapping ability. Stunky can also run sets that only have 4 attacks, but this is typically a waste of Stunky's abilities and you'd be better off using a different Pokemon instead. Stunky is able to use Taunt instead of a coverage move or Memento, but it likes having the coverage. If you do run Taunt, make sure to invest more EVs in Speed so that Stunky will be faster than most opposing Pokemon. Explosion is an option to run as Stunky's fourth move to hit the Pokemon that switches in after Stunky traps something, but Explosion typically does not do much damage to bulky Pokemon,(AC) so a coverage move is better. Stunky can also use Haze to prevent setup sweepers from setting up on it. Darkinium Z is an option if you want to use either Z-memento Z-Memento or Black Hole Eclipse (with the base move being Sucker Punch) (based on the power of the Dark-type moves on the set, it is obvious that you would use the Z-move for Sucker Punch), but this isn't recommended because Stunky prefers to have the bulk that Eviolite gives it.

Checks and Counters
===================
[add line break]
**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Magnemite and Pawniard are threats to watch out for,(AC) as they are able to hit Stunky relatively hard.(period) Even if you run Stunky runs Fire Blast, most Steel-types are fairly bulky and will not take large amounts of damage from Stunky.(period) while still being able to hit it relatively hard. Pokemon like Magnemite and Pawniard are threats to watch out for. (I feel that flipping the order flows better)

**Ground-Types Ground-types**: The only type Ground-types deal super effective damage against Stunky. Stunky's mediocre attacking stats make it so they can easily switch in and KO Stunky. Mudbray and Drilbur can tank two hits from Stunky and KO it with Earthquake, while Diglett will need to win a 50/50 to predict to successfully switch in on and KO Stunky.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Since Stunky is not a very powerful attacker,(AC) Pokemon like Munchlax, Slowpoke, Mareanie, and Rufflet can wear down Stunky while recovering off the damage they take because Stunky is not a very powerful attacker.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

With access to Pursuit and Sucker Punch, Stunky is able to trap and remove strong special attackers like Gastly and Abra very easily. Stunky also is able to carve its own niche as a Pursuit trapper that can remove hazards from the field. Stunky has a Its very nice defensive typing, which grants it an immunity to Psychic-type moves and a weakness to only Ground-types. However, this one weakness leaves Stunky vulnerable to Pokemon like Diglett, Mudbray, and Drilbur, which are very common. However, Alolan Grimer is almost always a better Pursuit trapper due to its better bulk and access to Knock Off. Stunky's Ground-type weakness leaves it vulnerable to Pokemon like Diglett, Mudbray, and Drilbur, which are very common. Unfortunately for Stunky, its abilities are mediocre at best; Stench doesn't really help Stunky do its job at all, and Aftermath is rarely useful. Stunky also struggles offensively because it lacks physical coverage options, and it typically has a hard time doing anything aside from Pursuit trapping and removing hazards, (AC) Stunky also lacks any form and a complete lack of recovery, which leaves it prone to being worn down over the course of the battle. Alolan Grimer is almost always a better Pursuit trapper due to its better bulk and access to Knock Off. (more logical structure)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Pursuit prevents the deals heavy damage to a foe from switching out, and it allows Stunky to trap Abra, Gastly, and weakened Pokemon. Sucker Punch allows Stunky to hit and generally KO the opposing threat before it can attack Stunky. Defog is useful because it lets Stunky remove entry hazards, and it is the main reason to use Stunky over other Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer. The final slot is typically reserved for a coverage move or a support option. Sludge Bomb gains a STAB bonus and lets Stunky hit Fairy- and Grass-types. It is able to 2HKO Snivy, so Snivy is unable to set preventing it from setting up on it Stunky, and it OHKOes Cottonee. Fire Blast lets Stunky hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed which that can otherwise wall Stunky, since they resist or are immune to Stunky's other moves. Fire Blast 2HKOes Pawniard after Stealth Rock damage and Ferroseed regardless of Stealth Rock damage. Stunky can also use Memento after it is weakened so that one of your team members is given its teammates gets an opportunity to set up and possibly sweep the opposing team.

Set Details
========

A Maximum Attack investment is used so Stunky can hit hard. Stunky's ability, Aftermath (RC) can damage physical attackers like Pawniard and Mienfoo if they KO Stunky. Stunky is equipped with an Eviolite so it can have as much bulk as possible to take less damage from attacks. The majority of the remaining EVs and a Careful nature go into Special Defense alongside a Careful nature to help Stunky tank attacks from Abra and Gastly. With this, Stunky has enough Special Defense to avoid being 2HKOed by Abra's Dazzling Gleam. 4 EVs are invested in Speed so that Stunky can outspeed all Pokemon with 13 Speed. The remaining EVs are put into Defense so that Stunky hits an Eviolite number gets an extra point from Eviolite and so it can take more priority hits like Corphish's Aqua Jet and Timburr's Mach Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Stunky is able to compress several roles into one Pokemon. You should use Stunky to Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra and Gastly and to remove entry hazards from the field. If needed, you can switch Stunky into either Abra or Gastly, but if you do so, it is likely that Stunky will be too weakened to do very much after eliminating the opposing Pokemon. You should avoid switching Stunky into Pokemon that it does not wall like Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Staryu because it has no recovery and does not like taking continuous chip damage. Generally, it's recommended to try and bringing in Stunky after one of your slower Pokemon uses U-turn or Volt Switch. After one of your Pokemon has been KOed, you can also send in Stunky to Pursuit trap a weakened opponent target.

Team Options
========

Setup sweepers that like having strong and fast special attackers gone, like Zigzagoon, Omanyte, and Vullaby, really appreciate Stunky's presence on their team. Fighting-types are also very helpful to Stunky, since they appreciate Abra and Gastly being removed while also dealing with Pawniard and other Steel-types, which Stunky typically has trouble with. Grass-types like Snivy and Flying-types like Vullaby are good teammates for Stunky, since they either resist or are immune to the Ground-type. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull also help Stunky out by putting offensive pressure on opposing Fighting-type Pokemon, which take very little damage from Stunky's attacks. Sturdy users like Magnemite and Dwebble appreciate Stunky's ability to remove entry hazards and would also be good teammates. Any other Pokemon that benefits from Stunky's entry hazard removal, like Vullaby and Diglett, are a good addition to Stunky's team. Stunky's ability to use Memento makes it a great partner for setup sweepers like Zigzagoon and Tirtouga.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Stunky can run a full Pursuit trapping set with two coverage moves or two utility moves, but this is outclassed by Alolan Grimer, which has better bulk and better moves. Stunky can also run only an a dedicated entry hazard removal set, but this is fairly weak because Stunky has little offensive presence aside from its Pursuit trapping ability. Stunky can also run sets that only have 4 attacks, but this is typically a waste of Stunky's abilities and you'd be better off using a different Pokemon instead. Stunky is able to use Taunt instead of a coverage move or Memento, but it likes having the coverage. If you do run Taunt, make sure to invest more EVs in Speed so Stunky will be faster than most opposing Pokemon. Explosion is an option to run as Stunky's fourth move to hit the Pokemon that switches in after Stunky traps something, but Explosion it typically does not do much damage to bulky Pokemon, so a coverage move is better. Stunky can also use Haze to prevent setup sweepers from setting up on it. Darkinium Z is an option if you want to use either Z-Memento or Black Hole Eclipse, but this isn't recommended because Stunky prefers to have the bulk that Eviolite gives it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Steel-types like Magnemite and Pawniard are threats to watch out for, as they are able to hit Stunky relatively hard. Even if Stunky runs Fire Blast, most Steel-types are fairly bulky and will not take large amounts of damage from Stunky.

**Ground-types**: Ground-types deal super effective damage against Stunky. Stunky's mediocre attacking stats make it so they can easily switch in and KO Stunky. Mudbray and Drilbur can tank two hits from Stunky and KO it with Earthquake, while Diglett will need to predict the move Stunky is using correctly to successfully switch in on and KO Stunky.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Since Stunky is not a very powerful attacker, Pokemon like Munchlax, Slowpoke, Mareanie, and Rufflet can wear down Stunky while recovering off the damage they take.

Last edited:
Implemented!
One change I made that was a bit different from what you suggested:

Stunky also struggles offensively because it lacks physical coverage options, and it typically has a hard time doing anything aside from Pursuit trapping and removing hazards, and a complete lack of recovery leaves it prone to being worn down over the course of the battle. (suggested)

Stunky also struggles offensively because it lacks physical coverage options, and it typically has a hard time doing anything aside from Pursuit trapping and removing hazards. Stunky's complete lack of recovery leaves it prone to being worn down over the course of the battle. (implemented)

I did this b/c I thought those two functioned better as separate sentences (since a lack of recovery isnt related to offensive presence)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2

[OVERVIEW]

With access to Pursuit and Sucker Punch, Stunky is able to trap and remove strong special attackers like Gastly and Abra very easily. Stunky also is able to carve its own niche as a Pursuit trapper that can remove hazards from the field. Its very nice defensive typing grants it an immunity to Psychic-type moves and a weakness to only Ground-types. However, this one weakness leaves Stunky vulnerable to Pokemon like Diglett, Mudbray, and Drilbur, which are very common. Unfortunately for Stunky, its abilities are mediocre at best; Stench doesn't really help Stunky do its job at all, and Aftermath is rarely useful. Stunky also struggles offensively because it lacks physical coverage options, and it typically has a hard time doing anything aside from Pursuit trapping and removing hazards. Stunky's complete lack of recovery leaves it prone to being worn down over the course of the battle. Alolan Grimer is almost always a better Pursuit trapper due to its better bulk and access to Knock Off.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Pursuit deals heavy damage to a foe that switches out, and it allows Stunky to trap Abra, Gastly, and weakened Pokemon. Sucker Punch allows Stunky to hit and generally KO the opposing threat before it can attack Stunky. Defog is useful because it lets Stunky remove entry hazards, and it is the main reason to use Stunky over other Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer. The final slot is typically reserved for a coverage move or a support option. Sludge Bomb gains a STAB bonus and lets Stunky hit Fairy- and Grass-types. It is able to 2HKO Snivy, preventing it from setting up on Stunky, and it OHKOes Cottonee. Fire Blast lets Stunky hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed that can otherwise wall Stunky, since they resist or are immune to Stunky's other moves. Fire Blast 2HKOes Pawniard after Stealth Rock damage and Ferroseed regardless of Stealth Rock damage. Stunky can also use Memento after it is weakened so that one of its teammates is given an opportunity to set up and possibly sweep the opposing team.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment is used so Stunky can hit hard. Aftermath, (RC) can damage physical attackers like Pawniard and Mienfoo if they KO Stunky. Stunky is equipped with an Eviolite so it can have as much bulk as possible to take less damage from attacks. The majority of the remaining EVs go into Special Defense alongside a Careful nature to help Stunky tank attacks from Abra and Gastly. With this, Stunky has enough Special Defense to avoid being 2HKOed by Abra's Dazzling Gleam. 4 EVs are invested in Speed so that Stunky can outspeed all Pokemon with 13 Speed. The remaining EVs are put into Defense so that Stunky gets an extra point from Eviolite and so it can take more priority hits like Corphish's Aqua Jet and Timburr's Mach Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Stunky is able to compress several roles into one Pokemon. You should use Stunky to Pursuit trap Pokemon like Abra and Gastly and to remove entry hazards from the field. If needed, you can switch Stunky into either Abra or Gastly, but if you do so, it is likely that Stunky will be too weakened to do very much after eliminating the opposing Pokemon. You should avoid switching Stunky into Pokemon that it does not wall like Mienfoo, Vullaby, and Staryu because it has no recovery and does not like taking continuous chip damage. Generally, it's recommended to try bringing in Stunky after one of your slower Pokemon uses U-turn or Volt Switch. After one of your Pokemon has been KOed, you can also send in Stunky to Pursuit trap a weakened target.

Team Options
========

Setup sweepers that like having strong and fast special attackers gone, like Zigzagoon, Omanyte, and Vullaby, really appreciate Stunky's presence on their team. Fighting-types are also very helpful to Stunky, since they appreciate Abra and Gastly being removed while also dealing with Pawniard and other Steel-types, which Stunky typically has trouble with. Grass-types like Snivy and Flying-types like Vullaby are good teammates for Stunky, since they either resist or are immune to Ground. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull also help Stunky out by putting offensive pressure on opposing Fighting-type Pokemon, which take very little damage from Stunky's attacks. Sturdy users like Magnemite and Dwebble appreciate Stunky's ability to remove entry hazards and would also be good teammates. Any other Pokemon that benefits benefit from Stunky's entry hazard removal, like Vullaby and Diglett, are a good additions to Stunky's team. Stunky's ability to use Memento makes it a great partner for setup sweepers like Zigzagoon and Tirtouga.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Stunky can run a full Pursuit trapping set with two coverage moves or two utility moves, but this is outclassed by Alolan Grimer, which has better bulk and better moves. Stunky can also run a dedicated entry hazard removal set, but this is fairly weak because Stunky has little offensive presence aside from its Pursuit trapping ability. Stunky can also run sets that only have 4 attacks, but this is typically a waste of Stunky's abilities and you'd be better off using a different Pokemon instead. Stunky is able to use Taunt instead of a coverage move or Memento, but it likes having the coverage. If you do run Taunt, make sure to invest more EVs in Speed so Stunky will be faster than most opposing Pokemon. Explosion is an option to run as Stunky's fourth move to hit the Pokemon that switches in after Stunky traps something, but it typically does not do much damage to bulky Pokemon, so a coverage move is better. Stunky can also use Haze to prevent setup sweepers from setting up on it. Darkinium Z is an option if you want to use either Z-Memento or Black Hole Eclipse, but this isn't recommended because Stunky prefers to have the bulk that Eviolite gives it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-types deal super effective damage against Stunky. Stunky's mediocre attacking stats make it so they can easily switch in and KO Stunky. Mudbray and Drilbur can tank two hits from Stunky and KO it with Earthquake, while Diglett will need to predict the move Stunky is using correctly to successfully switch in on and KO it Stunky.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Since Stunky is not a very powerful attacker, Pokemon like Munchlax, Slowpoke, Mareanie, and Rufflet can wear it down Stunky while recovering off the damage they take.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)