*The cutsap berry activated
Forrestress used rapid spin
*Azelfs sash broke!
Azelf used Flamethrower
Forrestress fainted

Denchura sent in Rotom-H
Azelf taunts

Use Berry Juice.

You basically Endeavor, Sturdy protects Phanpy, Berry Juice then restores it to full HP. Then Ice Shard. FEAR still fails against what it always fails against, but you can use it twice :D
Sorry to burst your bubble, but doesn't Phanpy have Pickup as its ability?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Forrestress @ cutsap berry V DERPA AZELF

Azelf used SR
Forrestress used Spikes

Azelf used Flamethrower
*Forrestress hang on wuth sturdy
Forrestress used spikes

*The cutsap berry activated
Forrestress used rapid spin
*Azelfs sash broke!
Azelf used Flamethrower
Forrestress fainted

Denchura sent in Rotom-H
Dunno if you heard but I don't think Rotom A can spin blocker anymore

It seems Sturdy works like a sash. I used Grass Mixer on Tsutaaja to try and 1HKO a wild Dangoro, but it survived with 1 HP and a yellow message popped up in front of it.

Forretress is no longer OHKOed by every single Fire attack from leads. It can set up Stealth Rock almost all the time!

The potential is definitely to set up entry hazards. With Sturdy, Forretress and Skarmory no longer come with a "useless" ability. Can't wait to try these out.

Sturdy means they can take hits in ubers too!

Forretress is no longer OHKOed by every single Fire attack from leads. It can set up Stealth Rock almost all the time!

The potential is definitely to set up entry hazards. With Sturdy, Forretress and Skarmory no longer come with a "useless" ability. Can't wait to try these out.

Sturdy means they can take hits in ubers too!
Almost all the time? Try a Lum Berry.

Gigaiasu seems like a very legit lead.

Better yet:
*Move tutor for Pain Split on lvl 1 Pineco, or Nosepass; use their evolved forms for Toxic/Spikes Immunity.* Survive any attack with Sturdy, then Pain Split back to full health, while the foe loses about 50% max HP.
Rinse and repeat to stay alive forever. Pain Split can bypass Taunt, just be careful of them using Substitute.

*I chose moves that don't require level up (egg moves, TMs, and move tutor).

Pineco lvl 1 @ Lum Berry [For Burn, Toxic, Confusion]
Sturdy

Pain Split
Toxic Spikes
Stealth Rocks
Toxic

First let them attack you or Taunt you as you Pain Split back to full health and take away their HP by about 50%, then Toxic/Spikes them as you predict them try to switch. Pineco's advantage is being able to set up entry hazards as your foe realizes it cannot hurt him without using Toxic, W-o-w, Hail, or Leech Seed. By the time your foe switches in a status inducer, you will have at least 1 layer of 1 entry hazard up.

OR

Nosepass @ Leftovers [For Hail]
Sturdy

Taunt
Pain Split
Magic Coat
Toxic

Magic Coat works well on Nosepass to prevent Toxic, Burn, Leech Seed, etc. from causing indirect damage, and instead directing it back at the user. Another advantage of Nosepass is having Taunt, which forces foes to attack you, and prevents Roar or Whirlwind. Toxic is the only attack worth using since nothing besides Pain Split deals enough damage as you attempt to wear the foe down.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Is there any pokemon with recovery that got sturdy be cause it could activate it over and over again since it reactivates once your back at 100%, just tested it against the dageki at the e4.
It survived with 1hp first round then it got back at 100% via full restore and sturdy activated again.

Right, how could I forget Metal Burst? I'll edit that in. ;) We don't know that Aggron will necessarily end up in the lower tiers, but wherever it ends up, the ability to tank any hit and retaliate will serve it well as a bluff set.
Bastiodon also has Metal Burst, which you might want to mention along side Aggron.

Bastiodon also has Metal Burst, which you might want to mention along side Aggron.
Bastiodon isn't nearly as good at bluffing as Aggron, since it kind doesn't have anything to bluff with so everyone who fought that one gym leader in DPP knows it's Metal Bursting. A mention is fine but I don't see anybody using it, ever

Is there any pokemon with recovery that got sturdy be cause it could activate it over and over again since it reactivates once your back at 100%, just tested it against the dageki at the e4.
It survived with 1hp first round then it got back at 100% via full restore and sturdy activated again.
Rest. But most Sturdy pokemon are hella-slow so you need Custap, so you'll end up Asleep for 2 turns which isn't very good unless you're some sort of god at predicting status moves

someone in the Aggron thread or was it this one made a Baton Pass receiver Roost lvl 1 Skarmory that sort of used the idea along with 5 types of recovery (lol) it wasn't very good at all though

Level 1 Sturdy Pineco with Pain Split could be interesting in a doubles TR. A psuedo-Super Fang that hits all types and "restores" the pseudo-Sash too! Throw in Custap for insurance when TR ends.

I was just about to ask this, because Skarmory gets roost (and it's legal with Study!)

I'm pretty sure I read that Magic Coat now reflects Taunt as well.
It's a potentially great option on slower leads than can run it since a well predicted Magic Coat can allow the lead to do its job unmolested.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79418 = My Creative Level 2 Probopass Thread on Pain Split + Sturdy Abuse

You could also use an evolved Pineco since Forretress also has Pain Split (Lowest Evolved Form is level 37 so it is part Steel - Immune to Toxic [Spikes]). Unfortunately, however, he doesn't get Magic Coat or Taunt, like Probopass does.

A user by the name of Torchic mentioned an Endeavor + Shell Bell Level 1 Aron (pre-evolved Aggron) which lowers the foe to 1 HP, as it survives an Attack at 1 HP thanks to Sturdy, but then Shell Bell heals for 1/8 of the damage, healing Aron to Full HP against any Level 100 foe. This can be abused, but is less reliable than Probopass since Aggron doesn't get the same necessary moves. I guess if you pair it with Sandstorm, Hail, Toxic Spikes, it works well to KO a foe since the damage hits it from 1 HP at end of turn.

Here is the Skarmary Post I MADE which was just brought up.

Another Strategy that is MUCH WORSE but still viable with perfect support:

Level 1 Skarmary: @ Leftovers
Set HP 0 IVs, Set HP 0 EVs (So it is at 12 HP).

Roost
[TM]
Protect [TM]
Taunt [TM]
Whirlwind / Toxic [Egg Move / TM]

Baton Pass Skarmary Aqua Ring, and Ingrain. Skarmary is Immune to Toxic Spikes and and Sandstorm (Ingrain negates Spikes Immunity). If it switches into Stealth Rock, it will heal the 12.5% damage off with Aqua Ring and Ingrain, and even with Hail Leftovers will negate the weather damage.

How does this Skarmary work? It takes a hit to 1 HP, it Roosts to heal 6 HP taking it to 7, then Heals 1 HP from Leftovers, 1 HP from Ingrain, and 1 HP from Aqua Ring leaving it at 10 HP. Protect the next turn and then Skarmary is at full HP healing another 3 HP from Ingrain, Aqua Ring, and Leftovers. This works well with Whirlwind and Toxic because the turn your foe thinks you will Protect (after doing it several times and they see a pattern), is an opportunity to use Whirlwind, Toxic, or Taunt. This set loses to Leech Seed, Burn, and Taunt, and requires much more help than Probopass, but it can be used.

Donphan @ Cutsap berry
Lonely (+att, -def), 252 att, 252 spd, 6 hp
-Counter
-Flail
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard

On the same vein as the Aggron set over in that thread, except with some priority. Sturdy brings a lot of opportunity for these pokes, it should be interesting to see how they go.

Calcs use standard spreads from the smogon analysis:

Flail (1HP calcs):

Blissy: 102.9% - 121.4%
Bulky Gyara (with intimidate drop): 66.5% - 78.6%
DD Gyara (with Overconfidence): 124.5% - 146.8%
Gliscor: 79.1% - 93.2%
Garchomp: 98.9% - 116.5%
Swampert: 67.3% - 79.3%
Def. Zapdos: 72.3% - 85.4%
Vaporeon: 74.3% - 87.7%

Ice Shard:

Gliscor: 32.2% - 37.9%
Garchomp: 40.2% - 47.5%
Def. Zapdos: 29.8% - 35.0%
Vaporeon: 29.9% - 36.2%

don't forget Mental Herb for you sturdy leads, it blocks taunt so you can garentee SR or a layer of spikes/t-spikes against a non-fake out leads

I really love using donphan as my lead, he's such a beast, and endeavor + ice shard he really got a useful buff this gen

I just saw a video of a team of lv1 pokemon beating Cynthia on B/W using a Nosepass, Pineco, Magemite, Girafirig & 2 other things. Combonation of type matchups, stealth rock, toxic spikes & substitute.

geez, idk whether I like this change to sturdy or not. I mean I can use Magnezone and Fortress effectivley for once, which is lovely, but VS' wise this is going to be an right freakin pain.

I like the new Sturdy mechanics when they are working for you, not so much when they work against you. Nothing worst than a Skarmory surviving your +6 HP Fire with 1 hp, and whirlwinding you out.

I also was very annoyed in-game because it seemed like every single Pokemon either had Sturdy, or Endure. Thank God Gamefreak didn't troll us super hard by giving Boldore Explosion at an early level, cause this would have sucked:

Samurott used Surf! It's Super Effective!
Boldores Sturdy! Boldore endured the hit!
Boldore used Explosion!
Samurott Fainted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)