SS OU SUN! (Feat Lil Kommo-o + XXXTORKOAL)

kommo_o_by_applewoodart_dc5vfgm-fullview.png
+
11561_Sun.png

Now weather over time has changed over the years. It's a little obvious which weathers are the best in OU: rain and sand.
But over the rain clouds and sand dust, there is something overlooked: Sun. In my opinion, sun isn't bad at all. Last gen sun was pretty dang good. I've always liked sun for the freedom it has to offer. Last gen in rain peliper, swampert, tornadous and ferrothorn were a most have to be a successful team, but with sun all you needed was torkoal, venusaur, and then go crazy. Sun is fun!

The Team

download.jpg

XXXTorkoal (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn
- Lava Plume

Torkoal is here to set up the sun. It's also without a doubt the best sun setter. It's not dead weight like Ninetails, it has utility. It sets up rocks, spines them away and potentially puts something to sleep with yawn. This thing is surprisingly bulky as well, living even eqs from some pretty nasty mons. So yeah being worn down quickly isn't something to worry about.

252 Atk Darmanitan-Galar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 132-156 (38.3 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 192-228 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dracovish Fishious Rend vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 246-290 (71.5 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Oh, and the dracovish calc is without the sun. So yeah, it's not dying anytime soon.

download-1.jpg

JuiceWRLD (Shiftry) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Throat Chop
- Brick Break

Of course, a real weather team isn't without a weather abuser! Now venusaur isn't released yet,(All though it losses hp fire so idk how good it'll be anymore) so we need the next best thing. Shifftry was the only chlorophyll user that seemed to be useable. It can actually hurt ferrothorn, has a useable move pool, decent stats, and has a boosting move. What else am I going to use vileplime or leaferon? No thanks.

download-2.jpg

Bobby Tarantino (Cinderace) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Court Change
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Cinderace is the Victini replacement. It has good speed, attack, and a powerful attack when used under the sun. (Can't wait for libero ability to come out too) I was going to use Choice Band but it got worn down by hazards easily and didn't pack a punch live Vic really did. It's our sorta Hazzard remover with court change as well. It can u-turn on incoming pex so dug can eat it up as well.

download-3.jpg

Slim Seismi (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

The toad is here to deal with water type attacks and rain so we have a fighting chance against it. Not a whole lot to say other than it can eat a few hits for the team while it can spread status and rocks. I was going to but gastrodon but it didn't have enought physical bulk which is needed for darm and things like Barraskewda.(Commonly used on rain.)

download-4.jpg

Lil Kommo-o (Kommo-o) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab

Kommo-o is where the signature sun team creativeness comes in. Dragons always seem to do well in weather so hey why not. I added Clangorous Soul because it fits well with the next Mon which I'll get to later. It's a pretty good win-con that tears through teams when all the annoying stuff is gone.

download-5.jpg

D-Cole (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

Dugtrio is here to do it's thing it loves to do. It may be a one-trick pony but it does it very, very, very well. It traps things like pex for shiftry, t-tar to stop messing with the weather. It can even just come in and damage a mon or take out a mon that the team doesn't like. It has memento so it can help Kommo-o sweep.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my team and any feedback is much appreciated. I have loads of fun with this team since it's very unique and weird. Please give it a try and give me advice to improve it.

Click the sun for pokepaste

11561_Sun.png
Edit
The set I now use for Shiftry has changed

JuiceWrld (Shiftry) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Growth
- Solar Blade
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave

This set is simply better because of the mix attacking potential, hits ferro even harder and is, in my opinion, superior in every way. You can use leaf blade if you want to use it out of sun, but out of sun you are using sucker punch most of the time.

I have also changed Kommo-o

Lil Kommo-o (Kommo-o) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

This is also just better than the other set. The throat spray lets Kommo-o do more damage overall.​

Attachments

Last edited:
1. Garm is now banned, there's no need to consider it.
2. The correct Dracovish calcs:
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 404-476 (117.4 - 138.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 368-434 (106.9 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 200-236 (58.1 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 302-356 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
3. You either want Heavy-Duty Boots on Torkoal or to run 248 HP EVs to minimise Stealth Rock damage.
4. Leafeon is decent as hell, Solar Blade is a great addition to it.
Leafeon @ Life Orb/Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge/Last Resort
- Synthesis
Life Orb is probably the best item, Power Herb lets you get off Solar Blade once without Sun. It can act as a Wish passer too if you want that.
Leafeon @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll/Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Double-Edge/Last Resort/Swords Dance
- Wish
- Protect
This set uses Leafeon's base 130 Defense to act as a decent physical wall that can hit hard under the sun. 252 HP EVs are to pass as bulky Wishes as possible.
5. 8 HP EVs or 30 HP IVs on Kommo-O minimise the recoil of Clangorous Soul.
Nice team.

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 404-476 (117.4 - 138.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 368-434 (106.9 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 200-236 (58.1 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 302-356 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
3. You either want Heavy-Duty Boots on Torkoal or to run 248 HP EVs to minimise Stealth Rock damage.
Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
Life Orb is probably the best item, Power Herb lets you get off Solar Blade once without Sun. It can act as a Wish passer too if you want that.
Jolly Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Wish
- Protect
This set uses Leafeon's base 130 Defense to act as a decent physical wall that can hit hard under the sun. 252 HP EVs are to pass as bulky Wishes as possible.
Nice team.
add sun to torkoal calcs, and dracovish runs jolly

Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
Jolly Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Wish
- Protect
Nice team.
Now its time for the quote I use to honor people:
THis guy said everything. -Remikkyu

add sun to torkoal calcs, and dracovish runs jolly
I already did but, ok. If you say so:
252 Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 272-324 (79 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 182-216 (52.9 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This is the best-case scenario (ie:Vish is Scarf Jolly to beat other Scarfed Vishs, and Pelipper hasn't overwritten Sun and Tork switched in when Sun wasn't already up, and there's no rocks or prior chip) and Tork still can't avoid a 2HKO.
Let's face it, Vish is meant to blow holes in opposing cores that are slower than it whichever nature it runs. The only reason to run Jolly is to 1v1 other Vishs. To claim Tork can take Rend outside Sun is just wrong. Besides, it's not like it does anything to Vish. The best it can do in totally ideal circumstances is to sac itself to Yawn it. But hey, that's why Toad is in the team.

I already did but, ok. If you say so:
252 Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 272-324 (79 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal in Sun: 182-216 (52.9 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This is the best-case scenario (ie:Vish is Scarf Jolly to beat other Scarfed Vishs, and Pelipper hasn't overwritten Sun and Tork switched in when Sun wasn't already up, and there's no rocks or prior chip) and Tork still can't avoid a 2HKO.
Let's face it, Vish is meant to blow holes in opposing cores that are slower than it whichever nature it runs. The only reason to run Jolly is to 1v1 other Vishs. To claim Tork can take Rend outside Sun is just wrong. Besides, it's not like it does anything to Vish. The best it can do in totally ideal circumstances is to sac itself to Yawn it. But hey, that's why Toad is in the team.
This guy reached the limits of space.-Remikkyu (New!)

Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis
Jolly Nature
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Wish
- Protect
Nice team.
when i made this post darm was still around so thats why i mentioned it. Leaferon is an awful sun sweeper tbh. A sun sweeper needs to break through this thing called a Ferrothorn. Shiftry can do some damage with heat wave wich I now run on it.

when i made this post darm was still around so thats why i mentioned it. Leaferon is an awful sun sweeper tbh. A sun sweeper needs to break through this thing called a Ferrothorn. Shiftry can do some damage with heat wave wich I now run on it.
0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn in Sun: 400-472 (113.6 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If Ferrothorn, a Pokemon with a 4x Fire weakness, is an issue to a Sun team... You're doing something horribly wrong. But if you have to:
0 SpA Leafeon Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn in Sun: 252-300 (71.5 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
That's a thing. What made Shiftry good as a Sun sweeper was its ability to set its own Sun off Max Flare via Heat Wave. Now it no longer offers that over Leafeon, so it entirely relies on its coverage to be better than Leafeon. Leafeon offers more power and speed than Shiftry, as well as the ability to take a hit setting up so they both have their niches. But to say Leafeon is terrible hugely underestimates the damage a +2 Solar Blade from it does.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Leafeon Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 274-325 (90.1 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 259-305 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

Last edited:
0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn in Sun: 400-472 (113.6 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If Ferrothorn, a Pokemon with a 4x Fire weakness, is an issue to a Sun team... You're doing something horribly wrong. But if you have to:
0 SpA Leafeon Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn in Sun: 252-300 (71.5 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
That's a thing. What made Shiftry good as a Sun sweeper was its ability to set its own Sun off Max Flare via Heat Wave. Now it no longer offers that over Leafeon, so it entirely relies on its coverage to be better than Leafeon. Leafeon offers more power and speed than Shiftry, as well as the ability to take a hit setting up so they both have their niches. But to say Leafeon is terrible hugely underestimates the damage a +2 Solar Blade from it does.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Leafeon Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 274-325 (90.1 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 259-305 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 0 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 432-510 (122.7 - 144.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
With a growth boost without sun it ohkos ferro. I'm also not saying ferro is a threat for my sun team cuz I have kommo-o, a dugtrio, torkoal, and a cinderace to deal with it, shiftry will role through teams better and potentially sweep. Pex isn't a problem because the whole reason for having dug is for pex. If a 4x weak move doesn't kill, that mon has some problems. Again I like shiftry because of its ability to sweep through ferro and continue to steamroll other mons.

A sun sweeper needs to break through this thing called a Ferrothorn.
I'm also not saying ferro is a threat for my sun team cuz I have kommo-o, a dugtrio, torkoal, and a cinderace to deal with it
:blobthinking:
Anyway, the point is, Shiftry is a good Sun sweeper, and probably on balance the most low-mantainance.
But saying Leafeon is somehow garbage because it doesn't OHKO a mon Sun teams as a whole render useless, but instead "only" 2HKOs it on the switch or kills it with minor chip? Pex was just an example, to show Leafeon's superior damage. It certainly has a solid niche. Another fun set of calcs I found:
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 344-408 (107.1 - 127.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 91-108 (33.5 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Leafeon Solar Blade vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 379-447 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So Conk with any health stops Shiftry cold, but it hard loses to a reasonably healthy Leafeon even without LO or Adamant. Just another thing to keep in mind. Leafeon's superior bulk also helps you set up against physical mons.
TL;DR:Leafeon certainly cannot just be dismissed as "awful" when it does a bunch of things Shiftry can't. Shiftry is on balance ahead due to needing less support to sweep, but Leafeon is the more potent win con and has ways to support its team back, not to mention its greater surviveabilty. Its main drawback is its shallow offensive movepool, which is compensates for with a deeper support pool and more raw power on the moves it gets, not to mention more bulk and speed.

:blobthinking:
Anyway, the point is, Shiftry is a good Sun sweeper, and probably on balance the most low-mantainance.
But saying Leafeon is somehow garbage because it doesn't OHKO a mon Sun teams as a whole render useless, but instead "only" 2HKOs it on the switch or kills it with minor chip? Pex was just an example, to show Leafeon's superior damage. It certainly has a solid niche. Another fun set of calcs I found:
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 344-408 (107.1 - 127.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 91-108 (33.5 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Leafeon Solar Blade vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 379-447 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So Conk with any health stops Shiftry cold, but it hard loses to a reasonably healthy Leafeon even without LO or Adamant. Just another thing to keep in mind. Leafeon's superior bulk also helps you set up against physical mons.
TL;DR:Leafeon certainly cannot just be dismissed as "awful" when it does a bunch of things Shiftry can't. Shiftry is on balance ahead due to needing less support to sweep, but Leafeon is the more potent win con and has ways to support its team back, not to mention its greater surviveabilty. Its main drawback is its shallow offensive movepool, which is compensates for with a deeper support pool and more raw power on the moves it gets, not to mention more bulk and speed.
you are awesome. I followed you: just.... WOW.

I need someone to say what replaces darm, because I wanna test which is better, shiftry or leafeon
He doesn't have Darm on the team, he was just mentioning it. And I forgot the one coverage option Leafeon gets. Which let's it do things like this:
+2 252+ Atk Leafeon X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 372-438 (114.4 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So the offensive set looks something like this after adding X-Scissor and Weather Ball:
Leafeon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe (the other 4 in Def unless running Weather Ball, the speed could be lower to speedcreep certain threats and be more bulky)
Naughty/Adamant Nature (you would have to be Jolly to outrun Scarf Dragapult, but no-one runs that now Garm is banned)
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Double-Edge/Last Resort/Synthesis
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor/Synthesis/Weather Ball
The Wish pass set probably doesn't have room for either, but that's all just theory.

He doesn't have Darm on the team, he was just mentioning it. And I forgot the one coverage option Leafeon gets. Which let's it do things like this:
+2 252+ Atk Leafeon X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 372-438 (114.4 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So the offensive set looks something like this after adding X-Scissor and Weather Ball:
Leafeon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe (the other 4 in Def unless running Weather Ball, the speed could be lower to speedcreep certain threats and be more bulky)
Naughty/Adamant Nature (you would have to be Jolly to outrun Scarf Dragapult, but no-one runs that now Garm is banned)
- Solar Blade/Leaf Blade
- Double-Edge/Last Resort/Synthesis
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor/Synthesis/Weather Ball
The Wish pass set probably doesn't have room for either, but that's all just theory.
what is the double edge/ last resort for? I am sort of confused, sorry ;-;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)