ORAS Doubles OU Sun & Moon (Top 10 Ladder Team)

Based on the Pokemon introduced, Sun or Moon?

• Total voters

Intro

Time goes by so fast that I want to press the pause button and rewind to the days that I first heard of Smogon. Those were the days when I used Mega Gallade and "crits every turn" Togekiss, and somehow still manage to get to top #100 in the Doubles OU Ladder. (What can I say? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) And, thats right! At the time, I didn't even know that Pokemon was a competitive e-sport and got salty when losing to legendaries. It wasn't until Elise finally convinced me to use those Genies (Landorus-T and Thundurus-I) that I started to notice the true nature of the Doubles OU metagame.

As time went by, I soon joined the Smogon community. During my first week, I posted a shit Sand Team in the Sample Teams thread, revived a lot of dead threads, and perhaps gave some shit advises, too. Nevertheless, I got to admit the Viability-Rankings thread and the Teambuilding-Frameworks thread were especially helpful, and truly recommend that new players should take a look at them and other resources provided by the Doubles OU community. And once you're decent in the tier, you might as well participate in activities such as Teambuilding-Competition, Break-This-Team, and Whats-Their-Last to grasp an in-depth of analysis of what other players may think of the metagame. (Good job, guys!)

Now, time is growing is short, and Gen 6 is about to close. This team will perhaps be my last team ever (in this Gen), but I'm definitely excited about Sun & Moon, which is the theme behind this team. Anyways, the initial focus of building this team was to make good use of Sylveon and Cresselia, mons that I rarely use outside of THALK variants, thus I started by adding standard Mega Charizard Y. (Mega Charizard Y + Cresselia is a great core.) Next, I added Zapdos for a nice "Tail Room" effect and Landorus-T which is obviously the gem of the metagame. And last but not least, Aegislash was added to provide that valuable Wide Guard that Mega Charizard Y appreciates. Well, enjoy~

The Team

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]

The Mega Pokemon of choice is Mega Charizard Y, an one mon Sun. This popular set allows Zard to have a fighting chance under TR/TW against mons that would usually threaten it; in order words, use Solar Beam to OHKO Mega Diancie and Terrakion. In addition, Mega Charizard Y is the team's best check to the popular AzuRachi (Azumarill + Jirachi) core. And of course, HP Ground is to eliminate walls such as Heatran, giving Zard a sense of continued momentum.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 88 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Substitute

Ever heard of Sub Sylveon? Well, it's a terrifying force (if you can manage to gain a momentum). Unlike Aegislash and Cresselia, which completely ignores Amoonguss through the item Safety Goggles, Sylveon acts a Sub Bait. The idea is to continue using Calm Mind (obviously under Sub) until you can do significant amount of damage to both opposing mons. Surprisingly, its Sub survives Landorus-T's Rock Slide and its attack Hyper Voice actually hits Heatran hard! It is amazing that despite Gen 6's closing, the metagame is still changing.

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Besides Sylveon, Aegislash is definitely another Dragon-slayer in the team, usually OHKO'ing Latios and Kyurem-B. In addition, it is perhaps the best pivot to common threats. These threats including Mega Kangaskhan, Amoonguss, Mega Diancie, and Landorus-T (but not on Earthquake). It's also worth mentioning that the current meta has taken a liken to CM (Calm Mind) Sylveon and CM Cresselia, which can amazingly wall the entire team if given the chance. And that is why Aegislash is in this team.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 124 Atk / 36 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

You can't go wrong with Landorus-T, especially since Landorus-T works so well with Mega Charizard Y. Of course, Landorus-T counters common threats and provides a valuable ability, Intimidate. Yet, in this case, AV (Assault Vest) Landorus-T was selected over Scarfed Landorus-T. The reasoning to this is because it can survive most threats that would usually eliminate it, select any moves at any given time, and function under TR/TW. As of result, AV Landorus-T provides a better synergy to the overall team.

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Zapdos is perhaps the most consistent TW user. Unlike others, it has the capability to heal its (Hit Points) HP and remove its weaknesses. (Just don't use Roost on Earthquake.) In addition, Zapdos is a very handy mon in eliminating common Water types, Landorus-T, and opposing Zards. Another thing to note is that Static is a valuable ability, making opposing mons much slower and dropping the need to use TW. Usually, this mon is sent out during the end of TR, allowing the team to maintain its momentum.

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Finally, the last mon in the team is Cresselia. Like Sylveon, CM Cresselia is a dangerous threat that can become an automatic win-con. It's purpose to provide consistent Trick Rooms, mainly for Zard and Sylveon. This particular set invested a lot in DEF since a Single CM is enough to make Cresselia a SPA wall. Not surprisingly, it has great synergy with Zard because Drought helps Cresselia to receive 2/3 of its HP back, not the usual 1/2. Besides that, Cresselia is pretty much a solid mon in the team.

Conclusion

Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Substitute

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 124 Atk / 36 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Moonlight

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-444877053
Perish Trap shouldn't be a problem in this team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-444486312
This team has so much bulk that Azu shouldn't be a problem, even without Sun.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-442886550
CM Sylveon maintaining pressure.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-444281228
Weather Wars are nothing of concern.

~Thanks for the Good Times~

DOU Community

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, obviously pretty cool team, just a few stuff I noticed ::

As you yourself said cm sylveon and cress are actually really popular and since you already have cress for amoongus and sylvi just sets up on it, I feel its better to have something like life orb on aegi as first of all it hurts like hell and even at +1 it 2hkoes cress, which non life orb fails to do.
Also on AV sets, stone edge is better option as you are not fast enough to go for flinches and you avoid any wide guard shenanigans which helps you secure a certain KO. It also helps as tbh wide guard spam is really annoying for this team, specially wide guard aegi, as you lack of ways to hurt it sufficiently using single target moves, so maybe some single target fire move on char(though this worsens your heatran match-up :( )

Also, just for curiosity, how do you fare against bisharp + keldeo, though not unplayable or something, bisharp at +1 looks really annoying to this team.

Anyways, best of luck.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hi Test Bot :] CM Cress / Zard Y / Landorus-T is a tried and true, extremely effective core, and you seem to have done it quite well. Normally I'd do my best to sway builders away from TailRoom, as it's typically quite inconsistent, but this team seems to handle the dual forms of speed control fairly well.

Sadly, there are a few flaws. As darksylvion noticed, your Bisharp matchup is iffy, and that's putting it generously. To fix this, I'd consider running AV Scrafty > AV Landorus-T. Not only does this help against Bisharp, but it also provides Fake Out support for your two setup attackers, improves the matchup against opposing CM Cresselia, and removes a Water weakness, further easing the rain matchup. Given that change, I'd like to propose a few other small edits. First off, Amoonguss is defeated by Mega Charizard Y, set up on by Sylveon, and ignored by Cresselia. Thus, Aegislash's item is almost entirely wasted, and you'd be better off with a Weakness Policy > Safety Goggles, as the dual speed control really helps Aegislash prolong its +2 rampage. If you do make this switch, then an 84 Speed variant of Aegislash would also help it prosper under Tailwind. Further helping Tailwind optimizations, Bold > Relaxed and 24 Speed IVs on Cresselia allows it to outspeed Mega Gengar under Tailwind. Finally, I'm not a fan of Sitrus Berry on Roost sets, so if I were to use this team, I'd elect to use Rocky Helmet > Sitrus Berry on Zapdos, which would help knock foes into damage range of your dual CM sweepers.

I'll include an edited importable in the hide tag below, feel free to message me with any questions. Good luck with the team!
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Substitute

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD 216 HP / 208 SpA / 84 Spe (Note: Lives 252+ Heatran Heat Wave in Sun, rest in SpA)
Quiet Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-T @ Assault Vest
Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Atk / 44 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe (Optional: move 100 SpD EVs into SpA to OHKO Keldeo and 4HP Landorus-T)
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Relaxed Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe 24 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Taken and Tested, talkingtree.

I'm no particular expert in EV'ing mons, but I try my best. The sets that you gave me is quite valuable and certainly lets me have a better matchup in both Trick Room and Tailwind. Also, I originally invested more on Zapdos's SPA, but the chatroom criticized me. :( Nevertheless, it's good to know that I'm not the only one to think certain sets in certain ways. :)

Your help is valuable~
Someone give this guy a RMT Badge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)