Sun of Ghostly and Rainbow Gods

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Introduction

Tired of playing OU, I started to play Ubers, and it's actually a fun tier to play. The worst is not the centralization caused by threats like Choice Specs Kyogre, but the high number of n00bs that "haunt" this tier. Still, I've built this team, and I didn't used things like CS Kyogre or Extreme Killer Arceus that everyone uses. Instead, I'm using different pokémon. While in OU I'm an expert of sand teams, in Ubers, I prefer to use sun teams.

Pokémons

Groudon

Groudon @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Atk / 108 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Obviously Groudon is necessary for a sun team. It provides the eternal sun that the team need to function, and blah blah blah. The set that I chose is a set that uses Thunder Wave to cripple enemies and help the rest of team, mainly Palkia, as with paralysis support, Palkia can walk over the opponent and destroy him with it's mighty power.

Swords Dance boosts it's power to sky-high levels. Then I have it's STAB Earthquake, and the coverage Stone Edge, to hit things immune to Earthquake.

Groudon actually doesn't abuse the sun by itself. It's actually more of a supporter than a sweeper. I use him as a sweeper when the opposing team is weakened enough, but it's main job is still of crippling the enemy with Thunder Wave and weakening them with it's attacks.

Arceus

Arceus (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Fire Blast
- Recover

It works as a spinbloker, but Ghost Arceus is also a setup sweeper. With enough Calm Mind boosts, Ghost Arceus is ready to sweep the opponent's team.

Judgement is the obvious STAB. I chose Fire Blast instead of Focus Blast or Flamethrower, because of the former's lack of accuracy, and the latter's lack of power. Fire Blast is sufficient to me to break through Steel-types that resist Judgement. In fact, a sun-boosted Fire Blast is even more powerful than Judgement! Still, the move that I spam is Judgement, as I don't want to risk a Fire Blast miss; Fire Blast is only used in case of the opponent resisting Judgement.

It's coverage is amazing but it fails to cover some few threats such as Tyranitar. But this is not to worry, as Arceus's partners can break through him anyway.

Ho-Oh

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Tailwind
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake

Ho-Oh is my main sweeper aside from Arceus-Ghost. It was a pretty obvious choice. The set that I chose is that with Tailwind because it can sweep even without sun, though Brave Bird's recoil combined with Life Orb really limits this Grand Fire Chicken's lifespan. Regenerator compensates for this, however.

I chose Tailwind instead of Flame Charge because I found this to be much more consistent. It managed to instantly double Ho-Oh's speed instead of boosting by only one stage. It can even affect other members of my team. The fact that it only lasts for three turns is not much of a problem; this is often the sufficient that Ho-Oh needs to sweep.

Sacred Fire is it's most powerful attack, and it's absurdly powerful under sun. It also has a great potential to cripple opposing physical attackers. Those that resist Sacred Fire are dealt with Brave Bird, and in fact, Brave Bird has a better accuracy than Sacred Fire, but because the recoil is huge, I only use Brave Bird when neither Sacred Fire nor Earthquake are reliable. For example, when the opponent switches Kyogre, Ho-Oh serves to me as a suicide weapon that instantly destroys Kyogre with Brave Bird and let me win the weather war.

Those that resists both of Ho-Oh's STABs are destroyed by Earthquake. It's also my most powerful attack against Steel-types neutral to Fire, such as Dialga.

Terrakion

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Toxic

When I put Terrakion on my team, I had one goal in mind: Having something to check Extremekiller Arceus. Still, Terrakion is a great revenge killer in general. It can even 2HKO Choice Specs Kyogre with Close Combat; if it manages to hit Kyogre on switch, then one more hit and I win the weather war. Also: Terrakion takes advantages of sun by having it's weakness to Water removed, so it can potentially survive weaker Water-type attacks.

It's two STABs are obvious choices, I'm not going to explain them. X-Scissor hits Psychic-types harder than Stone Edge. I chose Toxic because Terrakion doesn't need a fourth move to function. It's here just because I can potentially cripple Lugia on switch. I rarely use this anyway, so I don't bother with wich options I'm going to use on the fourth moveslot. I'm not going to use Earthquake, however, for the reasons that I've explained here.

Forretress

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Forretress is here to support the team, spinning that boring Stealth Rock that impedes my Ho-Oh sweep, or that Toxic Spikes that bother Arceus. It also lays it's own hazards to help achieve KOs much more easily. For example, Ho-Oh can use Brave Bird and don't worry much about recoil due to hazards decreasing the opponent's HP and so decreasing the recoil.

Gyro Ball is there as a filler move, but it helps when Forretress need to attack itself, such as against Terrakion and Kyurem.

Palkia

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder

A sun team in Ubers without a check to Kyogre is just asking to be destroyed. That is where Palkia enters, as it checks Kyogre pretty well, destroying him and winning the weather war. It's my most effective way of getting rid of Kyogre, and Palkia is also an effective wallbreaker that attains perfect coverage with it's moves.

I rarely use Draco Meteor, but it's good when I need to attack with the most powerful attack possible, in other words, if the enemy is not going to die to other attacks. Otherwise, I use Spacial Rend, that has more accuracy and doesn't drop in power after usage. Fire Blast is used because it attains almost perfect coverage with it's Dragon STAB, missing only Heatran, a pokémon that can be dealt with it's teammates. Fire Blast gains pseudo-STAB thanks to the sun and it's even more powerful than Spacial Rend!

Yes, Thunder is counterproductive in sun, but as I said above, this Palikia is mainly meant to check Kyogre. Under rain, Thunder attains perfect accuracy, and is Palkia's most powerful move against Kyogre. In case that I lose the weather war to rain, Thunder is also a reliable move to use, that has decent coverage with it's Dragon STAB.

No STAB Water attacks because they are counter-productive to use in sun, and I don't need their coverage thanks to Fire Blast.

Conclusion

This team is fun to use, and in my opinion is easy to use and hadn't problems with any threat in the current meta. In fact, I have yet to identify a pokémon that can screw up with my entire team. This team is very simple but direct, and now I want that you guys say what you think of this team.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Atk / 108 Def
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Arceus (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Fire Blast
- Recover

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
- Tailwind
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Toxic

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Spacial Rend

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
T-Wave SD Groudon / CM Ghost Arceus / Tailwind Ho-Oh / Choice Scarf Terrakion / Forretress / Specs Palkia

Cool to see Toxic Scarf Terrakion.

The biggest threats to this team are, in order of importance -

CM Ghost Arceus - Ho-Oh doesn't have reliable recovery and no invested bulk.

Not much else really, it's pretty good - although Rayquaza setting up on locked close combat is annoying.

However, using Palkia as your sole Kyogre check, especially one as inflexible as Choice Specs, is highly unrecommended. Palkia is vulnerable to all Toxic Spikes and Spikes, meaning a well played Scarf Kyogre can eventually run you over. Obviously the solution to this is a Latias, as it is immune to the two more crippling hazards. Also with Psyshock it can semi-reliably beat CM Arceus in a CM War, although Ghost Arceus is still troublesome.

Latias
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Recover
item: Soul Dew
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 116 HP / 204 SpA / 192 Spe

Outspeed Garchomp, have a little more HP to not be 2HKOed by Modest Scarf Kyogre's Ice Beam after Stealth Rock.

Also, Groudon's set isn't ideal, placing your most important hazard on a Pokemon as inert as Forretress isn't advised. I would replace Swords Dance with Stealth Rock, and Stone Edge with Fire Punch or Fire Blast, reducing the opportunity for Forretress and Ferrothorn to set up in front of you, making Ho-Oh more threatening if that is their Stealth Rock user.

Groudon
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
ability: Drought
nature: Adamant
evs: 200 HP / 200 Atk / 108 Spe

With the freed slot on Forretress I would recommend using Toxic over Stealth Rock, preventing CM Arceus from setting up in your face.

Forretress
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Rapid Spin
move 4: Gyro Ball
item: Leftovers
ability: Sturdy
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Cool team, good luck.

hey nice team overall. I'd like to say, that Ghost Arceus is something! Also just one correction, Fire Blast in the sun is as powerful as a Spooky Plate boosted STAB Judgement.

But anyway for the real rate. It's hard to admit but let's face it, Forretress is the only thing keeping your Ho-Oh alive. Without it, Ho-Oh is fucked by Stealth Rock, even with Regenerator. You might wanna change the moveset to this: Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball / Toxic, Pain Split. Pain Split will keep it alive for at least sometime which could be crucial to save your Ho-Oh. It works well with Toxic (not really) against EK Arceus without having to risk EQ or Brick Break on the switch to Terrakion. Strategy on how to use that Forretress will be posted at the end.

As for Terrakion, change Toxic to Rock Slide. Sure it's not that powerful but then it's more accurate than Stone Edge to hit opposing Ho-Oh as it could potentially threaten your team. It's still OHKOes even without prior damage. It is also a good move to lock yourself into if you don't know what your opponent's gonna do or if you're that desperate to 2HKO something with the flinch chance.

I quite agree with Poppy with the Groudon set being weird as the only thing it helps with Thunder Wave is Palkia since it isn't Scarfed. You could keep Swords Dance and replace Thunder Wave with Rock Polish. With Rock Polish, your slow but hard hitting titan will turn into a monster built for destruction. Rock Polish Groudon could seriously dismantle almost every offensive teams that pack no fast Choice Scarf users such as Skymin.

Just a tip, I'd try setting up Stealth Rock as early as possible since you have no Zekrom in your team meaning Lugia could simply abuse Multiscale to a great effect.

Well that is all. Hope I helped:)

How to use the Forretress set against an Arceus:

Use Toxic on the first turn. They will most likely set up as Forretress is usually set up fodder. Then they should be eager to attack because they are set up and that they are Toxiced meaning their time is limited. Use Pain Split to recover all the lost HP and suck theirs out. This should put them in a range where Toxic will kill in at least 2 turns unless they have Recover. Recover isn't bad news at all. In fact, it is good unless they switch out but they will lose all their boosts.

On a personal note, this is the only Forretress set I use in Ubers due to its ability to reliably take on any Arceus formes not packing a Fire-type move. However, this Forretress loses to Mono-attacking Arceus formes such as Dark-Arceus. But fret not, you still have Terrakion.

Groudon Set:

Groudon@Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Drought
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 136 Spe
~ Rock Polish
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Swords Dance / Dragon Claw

Leftovers is the preferred item since you'll prolly try out setting up twice. Though it isn't worth the risk. Also, Leftovers is a good passive recovery as you take damage upon setting up which could cut your sweep short if you choose Life Orb. Dragon Claw could be used if you have trouble against Giratina as it could potentially burn you with WoW (but I use this opportunity to switch to Ho-Oh). Also, try to keep in mind that without Life Orb or a Swords Dance boost, Groudon's attacks are pretty weak against dedicated walls but can still 2HKO a major part of the metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)