Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Praying that Lucario comes back! It was such a boss, honestly. But if Mewtwo were to replace it, perhaps with its Awakened form incorporated in somehow, it'd be pretty cool too.

It's looking like it's gonna be a great game. I'm actually really excited this time aroud, even more so than I was for Brawl. As far as characters, I would love to see a Golden Sun representative in the game. Whether it Isaac or Felix or Alex or whoever, dammit I want it.

Sora from Kingdom Hearts would've been pretty cool, I was really hoping they would get some Square Enix character but they didn't. Looking forward to the dlc though! Nintendo have been steppin it up in that area so possible characters via dlc?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Paper Mario
Paper Mario would actually be pretty cool, especially if they enable him to switch partners the same way megaman will be shifting boss powers (presumably down special). Beyond that, I'm calling Pokemon Trainer shifting generations, lucario -> gen 5 mon (Zoroark/Gensect most probable, Mienshao personal favorite), Roselina appearing to some degree (probably assist trophy) Ike -> Chrom (with avatar as assist trophy), and x/zero as assist trophies to accompany Megaman, similarly to Shadow and Gray Fox in Brawl.

Assuming sonic is still in, I'd say we're going to get one more character from his universe, sonic team in general has been focusing on more classic characters (the protagonists of every sonic game since 2006 have been either Sonic + nonrecurring character or Sonic + Tails, with Sonic/Knuckles/Tails/Amy slotted to be the only recurring characters in Lost Worlds) so we would probably be looking at Tails/Knuckles/Amy, with Eggman making an appearance in the story mode, a la Ridley in Brawl. That being said, Shadow was an assist trophy and would allow Sakurai to use a modified version of sonic's mechanics, making him much easier to create.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Wii Fit Trainer <3 <3 <3

Animal Crossing Villager </3 </3 </3

I honestly don't think they'll get rid of any Brawl characters but Toon Link and maybe Lucario, plus the pending returns of Snake/Sonic. Every 64 character returned and the only ones that got deleted from the Melee->Brawl transition were clones (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Young Link), plus Mewtwo replaced by Lucario to advertise-showcase Diamond/Pearl. Toon Link is just Young Link 2.0, Lucario could be re-replaced by Mewtwo (new form or not) or a Gen5/Gen6 rep. Lucas and Wolf are plenty Luigified enough and the rest of the newcomers are completely original.

Just like I bought my Wii for Brawl, I'll probably end up having to pick up a Wii U for SSB4 too. :[ Or maybe I'll just pick up a 3DS eventually and that'll give me an excuse to pick up X or Y too. But I've always been a Nintendo guy and their strength in first-party exclusives hasn't changed my reasoning for eventually picking up their consoles, if I do. XBox/Playstation/PC all largely share titles.

Wii Fit Trainer <3 <3 <3

Animal Crossing Villager </3 </3 </3

I honestly don't think they'll get rid of any Brawl characters but Toon Link and maybe Lucario, plus the pending returns of Snake/Sonic. Every 64 character returned and the only ones that got deleted from the Melee->Brawl transition were clones (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Young Link), plus Mewtwo replaced by Lucario to advertise-showcase Diamond/Pearl. Toon Link is just Young Link 2.0, Lucario could be re-replaced by Mewtwo (new form or not) or a Gen5/Gen6 rep. Lucas and Wolf are plenty Luigified enough and the rest of the newcomers are completely original.

Just like I bought my Wii for Brawl, I'll probably end up having to pick up a Wii U for SSB4 too. :[ Or maybe I'll just pick up a 3DS eventually and that'll give me an excuse to pick up X or Y too. But I've always been a Nintendo guy and their strength in first-party exclusives hasn't changed my reasoning for eventually picking up their consoles, if I do. XBox/Playstation/PC all largely share titles.
jeez, you don't have a 3ds? with gems like fire emblem: awakening, animal crossing: new leaf and obviously pokemon x and y?

duuuuuude. wii u can wait. playing games while taking a shit > high definition.

I would really like some sort of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon representation in this, to be quite honest. Could you imagine Grovyle as the pokemon representative?

Eh, probably wont' happen.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
I would really like some sort of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon representation in this, to be quite honest. Could you imagine Grovyle as the pokemon representative?

Eh, probably wont' happen.
believe it or not, in IRC a couple of weeks ago I suggested they put a pokemon in that wasnt too fierce looking, but definitely would be a better fighter than jigglypuff, look wise.

the pokemon I came up with was the one you just suggested: grovyle

I wouldnt make it a mystery dungeon rep, but I would replace jigglypuff with it since I think its a good balance between a firece fighter like scizor, and a passive looking one like jigglypuff, and it would be a pretty creative, unexpected addition with a lot of potential I feel.

also no Princess Peach so far? :(
I've heard IGN commenting she was confirmed in a few videos, but haven't seen anything from the trailor. I'm guessing you're just sad we haven't seen her in action yet, but if you're worried about her getting cut, you have nothing to fear. Pretty much any character that's been in since Melee has established themselves well enough to keep their character spot.
Paper Mario would actually be pretty cool, especially if they enable him to switch partners the same way megaman will be shifting boss powers (presumably down special).
Actually, from what I've seen so far, I don't think that's how Mega Man uses all the robot master powers. From the Mega Man vs Mario E3 fight, I didn't catch any power switching on Mega Man's through some special attack system. They all seem to just take the place of normal attacks (Flame Man's attack for a Down Smash, Sword Man's attack for a Forward Air, etc). This thread on Smash Boards sums up what I'd guess all the moves correlate to well.

So what characters do you folks have on your wishlist so far? I'd be really happy to see Paper Mario and King K. Rool as fighters. They're both two of my favorite Nintendo characters and have movesets that almost write themselves. Ridley is, of course, long overdue for a character slot and I'd love to see him too. As for my more long shot hopes... I'd love to see Fawful getting in on the action.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MOTHER FUCKING RIDLEY

WHY HASN'T THIS ALREADY HAPPENED I MEAN FUCK STAR FOX GETS LIKE 3 CHARACTERS AND METROID ONLY GETS 1 THIS IS A TRAVESTY AND NO I DON'T COUNT ZSS AS A NEW CHARACTER.

GIVE US FUCKING RIDLEY.

FUCK.

Because Ridley's too huge and has never not been huge, unlike Bowser who has been not huge multiple times before Melee. There's no way to reasonably downsize the character.

On a semi-related note, I want Anthony Higgs (black dude from Other M). It'll start with Samus getting the shit beaten out of her by Bowser, then he'll come in and hit Bowser with his RPG from behind. "Remember me?" queue visor flipping up; "Anthony Higgs joins THE BABY".

i just want different pokemon lol

edit: regardless of their size as depicted in the games themselves, bowser and ridley have within them intrinsic concepts of "size" that are too hard to change in an ssb game. i would acknowledge that bowser can be and has been portrayed as a GIANT monster, but i would argue that he generally is just thought of as "big" and ugly: his characterization is based on his being large and brutish, but not monstrous or immense. oddly, i think that gamers' conceptions of him would inform how accurate blowing him up or sizing him down would seem: it feels right to me that seeing a bigger bowser makes him more scary; turns him from the flailing goon of super mario bros into the monster at the end of nsbm, but there's also a certain amount of cognitive dissonance looking at smaller ridley. ridley's huge; he doesn't look like that! (but he does?) generally, i think that ridley is a monster dragon, a roc, an air serpent, a boss whose inhumanity is reflected by his disproportionateness. i also feel like he's a little too animalistic to have as a main character -- even though bowser is by nature a boss character, he's been normalized enough to have his presence make sense.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because we can't possibly scale this down

I mean Ridley, he'd be too big right???

Forget Other M and everything it stands for, I'd rather have Dark Samus, or better yet a Hunter from MPH than someone from that game.

I've already addressed Bowser, specifically so people wouldn't make that comparison. Seriously, did you just ignore the other half of my sentence? Also, classic Ridley would not work, with little bee wings and skin that looks like Trix yogurt.

And the Other M thing was obviously a joke.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Because Ridley's too huge and has never not been huge, unlike Bowser who has been not huge multiple times before Melee. There's no way to reasonably downsize the character.

On a semi-related note, I want Anthony Higgs (black dude from Other M). It'll start with Samus getting the shit beaten out of her by Bowser, then he'll come in and hit Bowser with his RPG from behind. "Remember me?" queue visor flipping up; "Anthony Higgs joins THE BABY".
Ok, that was good. +1 Cookie

Because we can't possibly scale this down

I mean Ridley, he'd be too big right???

Forget Other M and everything it stands for, I'd rather have Dark Samus, or better yet a Hunter from MPH than someone from that game.
First choice for MPH:

I've heard this argument a few times on why Ridley won't make the cut but I think that can be worked around pretty easily by scaling him down. As Layell's pointed out, he was just slightly higher than samus in the original Metroid (though a little bit taller is pretty tall considering how tall samus is) so throughing off the size scale ala Bowser-Mario isn't that outlandish. Bowser got huge pretty quickly after the NES games where Mario and him were around the same size too yet he's still scaled down. Heck, Ridley's even around the same height as Samus in the Super Smash Bros Melee Intro. Scale him down and then give him the slouched posture from the GBA games and I think you have a Ridley that can fit.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Actually, Ridley can be down-sized quite easily. I used to speculate lots on smash 4, and this thread's OP pretty much says that Ridley is fine getting down-sized. And this picture pretty much confirms it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)