Metagame SV Monotype Metagame Discussion [Indigo Disk]

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • :archaludon: - Good mon that does it job by spreading paralysis and hazard for the team. But not over the top busted and shouldn't be looked at. Moment I saw people bringing up mulitple sets of arch, it just flat out beat the whole purpose of the mon itself. Scarf sets, AV sets, Crayola sets doesn't matter when all its about is being a utility mon for the team not a damn Hot Wheelz
Archaludon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Stamina
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Body Press

Archaludon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 144 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Body Press
- Mirror Coat

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 144 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Archaludon: 165-195 (46.2 - 54.6%) -- 57% chance to 2HKO
  • +1 252+ SpA Primarina Moonblast vs. 144 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Archaludon: 172-204 (48.1 - 57.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 144 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Archaludon: 220-259 (61.6 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Aura Sphere vs. 144 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Archaludon: 270-318 (75.6 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Reminder that Archaludon has:
  • 125 base SPA
  • 90 HP / 130 DEF physical bulk
  • Stamina to give +1 DEF boost from any attack and not just contact moves
  • Excellent defensive typing with 2 weaknesses, 9 resistances and 1 immunity to better abuse Stamina
  • Body Press to abuse Stamina
  • Excellent coverage moves to utilise it's 125 SPA such as Draco Meteor, Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt
  • Utility moves like Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock and even Mirror Coat

Sorry bro but to dismiss Arch as a 1-trick pony who can only T-wave and set rocks seems unfortunate, to say the least. As stated above, it has so many tools to be so much more. Scarf is very legit and can clutch some surprise KO's. AV Arch is a meme but when it uses Mirror Coat vs your Moonblast or Draco Meteor, only your opponent will be laughing. Most of all Stamina is just too good on a mon with 9 resistances and only 2 weaknesses.

Also such narrow minded thinking is why so many struggle to qualify for reqs vs unpredictability of ladder.

P.S. There's a reason why it's banned in OU

Last edited:

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
I believe we, as a community, has simply gotten used to the power creep this generation and this is the reason why we have so many controversial threats running around in the metagame. You might tell me "Oh TTK, you voted dnb on Gouging Fire so can you talk?" and I'll say this, Gouging was not the necessary first step to reaching the ideal metagame. Maybe I'm too hung up on the process but I'm not the only person that believed that Gouging was not the suspect we needed to have.

This post is mainly is just lay down my stance on the pokemon in the metagame I would like to just have gone. Some of these issues may not be addressed for quite a while but I'd rather just get this off my chest.

:sv/baxcalibur:

Maybe some of you have seen me drop the "get rid of Bax" line a couple of times and I still will drop it right now. Get rid of Bax. We wanted to nerf Dragon and reduce its power level yet we will not get rid of its strongest pokemon? Baxcalibur is a pokemon that the metagame just doesn't have consistent defensive counterplay to. While you could say Gouging was banworthy because it was a synergistic piece that Dragon appreciates to cover every single one of its bad matchups, Bax doesn't offer that sort of defensive assistance that I would appreciate, it's just raw damage that most types can't handle when it either DDs or SDs. Standard counterplay to physical attackers such as burn doesn't even work for bro so you just have to end up killing it but oh wait, bro has 115/92/86 bulk so you need some really hard hitters to take it out and if you can't, you're probably dying in return. I haven't even mentioned Ice where it gains absurd bulk so it can easily get 2 DDs and OHKO everything. Ik we are unable to have quickbans, but I've heard some people saying they would ban bax if there was a 2nd suspect test for it so ye. Food for thought.

:sv/kingambit:

It took me a while to fully acknowledge that Kingambit is a problematic pokemon. It may not be at the top of the list for most of the playerbase because there's pokemon that have a greater impact on a game to game basis but Kingambit is always on my mind as a pokemon that fully shows that we are used to just having absurd pokemon kept in the tier simply because there's worse pokemon to deal with. Kingambit is a pokemon I wholly believe promotes an unhealthy playstyle. I think back to Annihilape, which basically neutered defensive playstyles because it would just Taunt anything that wasn't offensive, set up, force them to attack you then use broken Rage Fist to win. We acknowledged that "yea, this shit is dumb!" Kingambit pretty much does the same thing but in an opposite way. It also takes advantage of defensive pokemon because its defensive typing is pretty solid, immunity to Toxic, set up and do a lot of damage. However, it neuters offensive counterplay. You are scared to attack this thing because it has Sucker Punch to kill things before it gets killed itself. But surely, that cannot be broken on its own. Many Dark types over the gens have had SD + Sucker Punch, even in gens when Sucker Punch was stronger and they weren't banned. What makes Kingambit the exception? Supreme Overlord. This entire ability makes Kingambit the exception because you are given free damage modifiers for simply playing the game. Fallen 5 Black Glasses Kingambit basically has a Choice Band + Expert Belt without the drawback of being locked in, with the addition of having x2 from Swords Dance. How do you successfully deal with smth that will nuke even resists? Things like Enamorus are OHKOd by Sucker Punch for crying out loud. Unless you have something that x4 resists Dark or is just a fat resist (:great-tusk::iron-hands: oh look they're only fighting types), Kingambit will just reverse sweep and we've all seen this in action. Being forced to play these 50 50 dumbass interactions with status moves so you stop Kingambit from killing your offensive threats that lack status so they aren't OHKOd in the late game. It's mind boggling how we just accept this as perfectly fine. Like why am I punished for playing the game, using my defensive threats to take hits for my offensive pokemon, then they just keep Gambit alive for most of the game in the back and Gambit is like "It's time to setup because I'm not going to die in one hit then OHKO everything with Sucker."

:sv/chien-pao:

Chien-Pao, possibly the most controversial pokemon of SV Monotype, one that never saw a suspect up to now for whatever reason, which people hold the council accountable for that questionable choice. Let us be realistic for a second. Before the Dragon domination of the metagame, when Dark reigned supreme, Chien-Pao was the driving force of its power. Think across the 18 types for a second. We have to acknowledge that types are not all made equally, but the question is How much of an extent should we accept that types are stronger than another? And I must say that Chien-Pao still contributes to the massive divide in power between types that continues to hinder certain types from being better than they are now. It's the third fastest mon in the tier, its ability effectively means it attacks at a 1.25x modifier at all times, its offensive typing is nigh unresisted not even taking its coverage into account and it has no hard counters outside of Dondozo. What makes Chien-Pao annoying is that it's very customisable to deal with its few checks even though its movepool is not particularly colourful. Choice Band has always been a strong set, with enough power to 2HKO Skarm after Rocks, which is one of its most consistent checks. It can slot in Psychic Fangs to demolish Toxapex at +2, it can even run Choice Scarf (which no one expects but it's an effective cleaner, even outspeeding +2 Excadrill). Pao is not a mon I feel as strongly about (see? I've gotten used to Pao when it's actually a crazy pokemon.) but if it was banned, I think that would be a positive contribution to the tier.

:sv/ursaluna-bloodmoon:

Bloodmoon is an interesting case which I think is mainly held back by its types. Normal is an underrated pick and fully shows off its fullest potential but it's really doing the heavy lifting for that type alongside P2 and ig Horoark but idt mons like Braviary can handle the overall power level of the tier and Blissey is way too passive. Ground on the other hand, this thing is a struggle to fit on sand because Lando clearly is the better pick, it's faster and has Gravity to support Band Drill in just slapping immunities. And sandless is kinda ass. Regardless of these issues I think Bloodmoon faces, it's frankly an overtuned pokemon with a ridiculous high damage output for how bulky it is. This tier is so reliant on just offensive keeping offensive in check because defence is struggling to keep up. The only mons that resist Bloodmoon's STABs are Corviknight, Skarm and Minior. The latter two cannot even take special hits to save their lives, leaving spdef corv as the only reliable switch-in to Bloodmoon but if Corv is lacking IDPress, bloodmoon just gets to +6 and eventually even wins that 1v1, especially if its Hyper Voice > Bloodmoon. Due to Bloodmoon's speed and weakness to common types like Water and Ice make it less broken than the mons I've mentioned but certainly something I wouldn't mind leaving the tier.

Mons People Think are Banworthy but I don't Think They Are.

:sv/ogerpon-hearthflame: / :sv/ogerpon-wellspring:

Idk with these guys, in the survey, they didn't get enough support and I still don't really see why or how they're banworthy. They're very strong pokemon and hard to switch into but akin to like Flutter Mane, it's very easy to check them offensively and I feel like every type has a way of dealing with them. 110 Speed isn't that slow but certainly they can be outsped, especially when they can't hold a Scarf and their Grass typing certainly hinders them and Hearthflame has to deal with Rocks cutting into its longevity.

:sv/flutter-mane:

Nothing has suddenly changed from the start of the metagame to now that would've made Flutter Mane more banworthy than before, if you believe Flutter Mane is not banworthy. I see a few people talking about it (won't name names LMAO) but at this point in the metagame, Flutter Mane is fine. It probably won't be fine if things like Gambit and Pao don't exist anymore but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Not a priority at this time.

Borderline

:sv/archaludon:

Archaludon Archaludon Archaludon. The Arch deniers claimed that no one talked about Arch in the survey but fail to realise that the metagame does not stop while a survey is ongoing and the survey was open for quite a bit. I would appreciate it for the people that actually think Arch is broken to say their piece on it, provide some replays and bring out their writing skills so you can give people an idea of what you're seeing Arch does because from what I've seen on Discord, I can see your side of the argument but the playerbase cannot if you stay silent. I won't be discussing it myself here because I wasn't prepared to talk about it, just to let its presence known that myself and others are keeping it in their thoughts.

Sleep (:darkrai:/:iron-valiant:/:lilligant-hisui:/:amoonguss:)

I think we should follow OU and get rid of Sleep Clause and ban sleep moves. I'll be waiting for an answer for what sleep actually adds to the metagame for quite a while because no one will be able to answer this question. We should also be following modern tiering policy but idgaf about smogon politics, sleep is just mad annoying and skill-less so I'd rather have it gone. Acupressure had like <10 abusers when it was banned and they're all shitters anyway (yes ik it boosts evasion but you get my point)

Before I end off this post, I just want to highlight something I've been seeing recently. I have been seeing certain players in this community lose faith in the council. Now I'll say that I appreciate the efforts of the council, at the end of the day, players and council want to have the best metagame possible and we may all have clashing opinions but our end goals are the same. What I've seen people note is the lack of activity of some council members. I'm not saying you have to post regularly on forums but if you compare what other councils across the site are doing in terms of community interaction and letting their thoughts be known about the metas they are effectively in charge of, mono is quite behind on this regard. The playerbase wants to be reassured that the council are even playing this metagame and Firnen even mentions that half the council did not even get reqs. If charizardfan12345 got reqs, they effectively had more of a say in tiering than a council member did. I am also not enforcing "all council must get reqs!" People have lives, I for one have not participated in every suspect of this generation but it should be something that council should try to get reqs when possible.

This is the time now after this suspect to really unite as a playerbase and let your voices be heard so that we can get our metagame back on track. The doomposting won't help, what will help is swift and decisive action.

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
I think we should follow OU and get rid of Sleep Clause and ban sleep moves. I'll be waiting for an answer for what sleep actually adds to the metagame for quite a while because no one will be able to answer this question. We should also be following modern tiering policy but idgaf about smogon politics, sleep is just mad annoying and skill-less so I'd rather have it gone.
Oh no not this again.........
I don't know if a lot of people would support banning sleep.
This was basically the same reasoning that led to the ban in OU.
Does anybody agree that Sleep Clause is enough with the sleep problem?

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
is a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/ogerpon-hearthflame: / :sv/ogerpon-wellspring:

Idk with these guys, in the survey, they didn't get enough support and I still don't really see why or how they're banworthy. They're very strong pokemon and hard to switch into but akin to like Flutter Mane, it's very easy to check them offensively and I feel like every type has a way of dealing with them. 110 Speed isn't that slow but certainly they can be outsped, especially when they can't hold a Scarf and their Grass typing certainly hinders them and Hearthflame has to deal with Rocks cutting into its longevity.
Speaking from experience these two kind of just, click buttons. Especially Oger H.
Oger-H kind of just looks at a lot of the defensive mons in the tier and goes "What if I used one of my two STAB moves and there was next to nothing you could do about it?" Especially since it regularly has 7 turns of sun backing it up its Ivy Cudgel so even resists into Ivy Cudgel are going to take some punishment.
Grass Fire is also a deceptively good dual STAB combo since what do you want to eat a Fire move? A Water- and a Rock-type. But they're weak to Grass. Grass-, bug- and Steel-types are all weak to Fire so they're not good switch ins to Oger's Fire Cudgel. And While both Dragon and Fire resist both, Oger has access to both Stomping tantrum and Play Rough to wack them in response so they're not exactly safe switches in either.

WellSpring is less problematic since Grass-types can just blanket wall it but its telling that even in rain, this thing still hurts like an absolute motherfucker into resists (2 hitting the physically defensive Amoonguss and Sinistcha with a Swords Dance boost for example) and thats not even forgetting about Ivy Cudgel's increased Crit Chance.

And while yes, 110 Speed isn't the pincale of speed like it used to be, but its still incredibly fast several of the mons that do outspeed don't OKHO it. Like the only two that do are Sneasler which, okay fair and Tornadus which is on a type that loses badly to Water and has accuracy issues with Hurricane if the team is Rainless and espessically if Sun is up. And the rest of the faster mons are only doing super effective damage into one, and aren't touching the other that badly. Like Ogerpon-H isn't dropping to Specs Greninja's Hydropump unless it has rain and Meowscarada's U-turn does not OKHO Wellspring.

cpt.kraken

I COULD BE BANNED!
To follow TTK's post. I would have put Flutter Mane in the "should be quickbanned mon" list. I would also add Heat Rock and Icy Rock for more equity here but I can understand than the last one doesn't really benefit as much as the 3 others to teams.

For Ogerpons, I want to make a difference between Hearthflame (fire) and Wellspring (water). The first one is helped by his ability mold breaker allowing it in sun to click Ivy Cudgel against whatever especially Heatran but it has 25% chance of 0HKO at +2 (240hp/252+def) Archaludon. The mon is very complicated to handle. The Water one is THE physical attacker of water type helping a lot in mirors and I think it's less an issue.

For the borderline list, as I have written in the survey, Zamazenta. Espathra is not really healthy neither if you don't have a dark mon. Also Gouging Fire ban should be around here as the meta would be drastically different than the actual one without Baxcalibur and without Heat Rock.
Also some mons that needs to be looked at are Raging Bolt, Kyurem and Spectrier. They are not an issue right now but can become one very quickly. And I think there are more that I cannot remember as I did seriously the survey with the actual list of available options.

I do not agree about sleep clause, I think paralysis is more unfair and unbalanced as sleeping policy put you in a position of one and only one sleep fodder while your whole team could be paralyzed.

For the council part of TTK's post. I would say that if you do not want to participate in the suspect for any reason, at least give an opinion about the pokemon and/or the metagame more often so the playerbase will know what you think. Also, survey policy cannot rule the tier as in OU they did not put Archaludon as very problematic in their survey but it has been ban (they also have poor tiering decision looking at Gliscor suspect, ban and unban).

Arase

Banned deucer.
hello everyone, arase here and today im here because i want to discuss the current situation of the format and the council.

first of id like to highlight the problems of the current format

1 :baxcalibur: this pokemon is insane, it doesnt need any support it just sword dance at a good time and just wins by itself some matchups, not only it has great bulk but also immunity to will o wisp too which makes it terrifying to deal with

2 :archaludon: this pokemon has been in the radar since before the survey has been posted but council just like to act as if its a current fever dream by the community, it has insane bulk, insane utility and overall its in the best types too. i think it should be suspected in the very least

3 :kingambit: this pokemon has always been insane, set it up in the right spot during the endgame and u just win out of nowhere and somehow it hasnt been suspected yet ?

4 :chien-pao: this pokemon is a bit of a controversy, incredible stats with an incredible ability, even someone like dugza was surprised it never even got suspected yet (said in the discord) but chi-yu was banned, kinda weird innit

heres a list of mons other ppl think should go (although i dont think its the right time for them) flutter mane, ogerpons, ursaluna bloodmoon, zamazenta

situation about the council: alot of ppl are screaming they want things banned, the enjoyment in the survey clearly shows the community is not happy with the current metagame but the biggest issue is that the council is not active in the game or active within the community. now if we look at the statistics this is what we notice: 1 out of 3 tier leaders got reqs (the other 2 failed) and overall 5 out of 9 council members got reqs, isnt this a bit concerning? now i get that not everybody has time to get reqs whenever they happen so my suggestion to these ppl is the following: start being more active in the metagame thread so we know where the council thoughts are at and we can build a better format together

Hello,

I'm just giving my opinion about the current meta after results of Gouging suspect.

a) Difference between survey and suspect
With survey, u allow everyone to vote. So, the new guy playing monotype has enough "power" than a council member. Just don't forget that, a voice is a voice.
So, with this req system, u delete the part of community who isn't that good, or people lazy to make things move on in "their" tier.
:gouging fire:
  • General - 3.57
  • Qualified - 3.71
Gouging Fire suspect is up! Gouging Fire received the most support for tiering action in the survey and is generally considered to be the key contributor towards Dragon being as dominant as it is in the current metagame while playing a key role on Fire teams as well. This was more apparent in the recently concluded MWP with Dragon usage being at an all time high, while Gouging Fire in particular sported respectable usage and win rates on both types. With this, along with general community sentiment regarding the Pokemon in mind, the council unanimously agreed to suspect test Gouging Fire.
Doesn't really track with the numbers. The qualified pool of players in the survey (e.g. the pool of players from where suspect voters are far more likely to be pulled from) felt stronger about tiering action on Gouging than did the general playerbase, which also felt pretty strong. This isn't really a case of newer players agitating for a ban no one seriously thought was an issue. Gouging was voted most problematic among both the general and qualified groups by a decent distance.

The two aren't consistent. Either people changed their minds (perfectly fair), people weren't motivated to actually complete the suspect for whatever reason (probably assuming other people would do the work to get Gouging banned), or people who weren't pro-ban (one puzzling thing I saw was people voting DNB because there are "bigger problems in the tier") were motivated in sufficient enough numbers to have GF stay.

Judging from the numbers on the other survey candidates, the suspect process is unlikely to produce significant action on anything else going forward especially considering the #2 candidate Baxcalibur has already failed a suspect. The tier is at an impasse here.

Arase's already sort of touched on a common sentiment that a lot of people have been feeling but oftentimes it feels like opinions don't matter unless they are emanating from a small group of people. There's just no way everyone talking about the strength of Gouging-Baxcalibur-Archaludon, let alone Chien-Pao is crazy. It would really really help to have some of the conversations circulating on Discord or in side rooms taking place here because truthfully it feels like two different tiers are being played.

Last edited:

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
4 :chien-pao: this pokemon is a bit of a controversy, incredible stats with an incredible ability, even someone like dugza was surprised it never even got suspected yet (said in the discord) but chi-yu was banned, kinda weird innit
You have no idea how many toxic players complain to me about this pokemon. And how many times I have raged against this pokemon. There's nothing weird with it.

Arase's already sort of touched on a common sentiment that a lot of people have been feeling but oftentimes it feels like opinions don't matter unless they are emanating from a small group of people.
Also curious how 2/3 "qualifying questions" on the survey were based on forum tour performance. In reality it's the "ladder heroes" that qualify for reqs and contribute to tiering.

Next step would probably be to suspect Archaludon or Baxcalibur (yes, him again). DLC2 represented the biggest metagame shift since the release of gen9 metagame, and for this reason I believe that the argument that "bax just recently got suspected" should not be used for this particular scenario. I understand it might controversial to have two suspect tests in the same Pokemon within such short time frame, but the environments are completely different. I will also be giving some thoughts in other Pokemon which may be problematic (please note that I'm not necessarily supporting a ban in every mon, but the general issues that I have with how these elements interact with competitiveness of gen9monotype).

:archaludon: Similiarly to gouging fire, it's not as threatening offensively in comparison to baxcalibur but it can run a wide variety of sets that protects Dragon teams from certain threats and moves (physical ice and fairy moves), provides solid hazard setting (it's very durable and can punish many hazard removers), and can run status (Thunder Wave). Stamina + Body Press is hard to deal with if you are leading with a physical attacker, and the Pokemon that resists it don't want to get paralyzed, especially in tournament play in which you want to manage damage trades optimally. Finally it can run electric coverage which you may or may not be prepared to deal with, and while it's not certainly not that broken on its own, it can compress many roles very well. If Dragon is overperforming right now I'd say it is more because of this one than gouging fire.

:baxcalibur: It has access to Swords Dance and a priority-STAB move, Ice Shard, which can make it incredibly difficult to be checked by faster offensive Pokemon. It also has decent bulk to withstand most hits and its Ice-typing allows it to benefit from hail. Thermal Exchange gives it burn immunity which limits counterplay available to this Pokémon. Ice also has wider coverage offensively if you relate it to Gouging Fire, especially given that types like Flying, Ground and Dragon are more likely to appear than types like Grass, Bug and Ice. Getting access to Scale Shot added another layer of difficulty in checking this Pokemon and pairs incredibly well with Swords Dance, allowing it to deal big damage while it boosts its speed. It's certainly very threatening and also very contribuiting to Dragon's prowess right now.

Other (potential) threats:

:ogerpon-hearthflame: Ogerpon-hearthflame: Not necessarily a broken element but I think it can be uncompetitive in certain ways. Mold Breaker invalidates a couple of checks and restricts teambuilding, ignoring important abilities like Multiscale, Sap Sipper and Flash Fire. Ability shield is counterplay but that item is very restricted on what it does and can still be knocked off. The unpredictability of sets (Substitute, Encore, Trailblaze) can turn games into a coinflip if opposing side has not accounted for it in the builder (and part of the reason is that there are more important threats to account for, so maybe a suspect on the dragons can help you manage for ogerpon). It also benefits from sun in Fire teams enabling Ivy Cudgel to do even more damage. My main issue with this Pokemon is that it can heavily snowball games in certain matchups (especially vs Steel, but also applies to other types like Grass and Water for example). Listing this here because many players don't see it as a problem, but not accounting for this Pokemon can create certain autowin scenarios which I don't see it as "rewarding" in terms of competitiveness (takes away decision making factor).

:Flutter-mane: My main issue with this Pokemon is scouting the set which may not be obvious by just looking at your opponent's builder. The specs set is usually checked by scarfers (because it can trouble many special walls, especially given the shadow ball 20% spdef drop chance), but the scarfers are outsped by its own Choice Scarf set (but on the other hand are very easy to switch into), which can create certain 50/50 scenarios when you don't have information. You can be put at incredible disadvantage just by not knowing its set right away and I think players being forced to make blind assumptions is problematic. Not very problematic once you know what it is running though, but yes it can hinder competitive play because of this reason.

:chien-pao: Similiarly to fluttermane, but to a lesser extent, it's not very difficult to deal with once you know its set, but its not always obvious (choice band or SD, sometimes u have to expect psychic fangs which can break certain checks). It can also be too late once you know its set. Maybe the reason I don't find it too problematic though is that you are very often preparing for Baxcalibur and most things that checks bax can also check this Pokémon. Its also frailier and can be crippled by status so it has to find opportunities to switch in which are not as broad as other bulkier Pokemon. Crunch defense drops or icicle crash flinches can be very annoying and uncompetitive though.

:ursaluna-bloodmoon: It's very bulky and sometimes you just don't expect it to live a hit while it deals massive damage to you back. It is just weird how theory hardly applies to this Pokemon, so I agree with TTK here this mon is very overtuned. Preparing against this Pokémon is difficult and sometimes requires you to run suboptimal sets so definitely could see tiering action being taken in the future.

Wow this place is active. Sweet!

Following the suspect result that has incited in rage, hurled insults, snide remarks, loss of sleep, demotivation, depression, and division among the community, I think now would be an opportune time to hear from council and their genuine thoughts on the metagame.

Maybe they could round up all the problematic Pokemon in the tier, conduct a mock quickban vote, and promptly share the results (although it doesn't have to be a mock). It would be nice if we could get some brief insight on their votes as well but from this alone we can get a better understanding of where the council stands, where they think the problems lie, and get the discussion rolling on what's next for the metagame and tier at large.

Last edited:
Also curious how 2/3 "qualifying questions" on the survey were based on forum tour performance. In reality it's the "ladder heroes" that qualify for reqs and contribute to tiering.
I think the goal of these questions is to ensure that we are globally informed about what people who are more knowledgeable about the metagame think, rather than acting as a proxy for "who's going to vote" in a suspect. Players who have played several games in a team tour or who have reached the final stages in individuals have most likely been exploring the question "what are the strongest things in the metagame ?". Some people might not play in these tours but regularly place high on the ladder and are likely to have a good understanding of the meta, so they are also included in this category.

When playing on the ladder, especially under the top 100, you are likely to face people who are using teams that aren't necessarily optimized for the metagame (for various reasons: fun/experimenting/knowledge). The qualified group is just a quick way to identify people who are likely to be knowledgeable about the tier, although many players not eligible in this group are skilled enough to qualify for reqs.

Wow this place is active. Sweet!

Following the suspect result that has incited in rage, hurled insults, snide remarks, loss of sleep, demotivation, depression, and division among the community, I think now would be an opportune time to hear from council and their genuine thoughts on the metagame.

Maybe they could also round up all the problematic Pokemon in the tier, conduct a mock quickban vote, and promptly share the results (although it doesn't have to be a mock). It would be nice if we could get some brief insight on their votes as well but from this alone we can get a better understanding of where the council stands, where they think the problems lie, and get the discussion rolling on what's next for the metagame and tier at large.
I totally agree (and was asking similar things to cielau few minutes ago), it would help a lot to guide the discussions!

Last edited:
I'm not one to talk since I've been a bit busy and didn't dedicate time to reqs, but I think this dnb vote was a misstep. I don't want to hear anything about this being the result of the community "applying critical thinking skills", or how "it wasn't in the correct order and there were more important mons to suspect". End of the day GF was the #1 mon from community survey, 80% of council members who voted said ban, and it had a majority ban vote. This suspect doesn't feel at all representative of what's best or what the community thinks.

Either way, I think Heat Rock should 100% be quickbanned. Doesn't make sense to at least try and compensate somewhat. Bax should be next suspect imo. #2 on survey and definitely unhealthy. Ogerpon and ursa-bm I also want gone, plus there's like Gambit, Pao, FLutter, Archaludon which need to be looked at.

Showdown wept.

I absolutely do not give a shit whether dragon remains the best type, and I never saw Gouging Fire as the pokemon that directly caused this being the case. The fact that people used this as their main deciding factor is extremely stupid in my opinion, though. It remaining in the meta means it is statistically unviable to play bug and grass on the ladder, as it does autowin against those types, regardless of how you build your team. This is not a "if you have a problem with it, you can build around it" situation. There is no build. There is not a single pokemon on either type that lets you win if the opponent is bringing GF, which, at around a sixth of the matches if not more, they will. Shutting out entire types from laddering should be viewed as a way bigger transgression than causing the top type to be as consistent as they are. Yes, Gouging Fire isn't the most problematic pokemon on a dragon team in most matches, but that's because it has prevented an uncertain amount of matches where it would have been from ever happening.
I had no interest in playing on the ladder once I had exhausted my ideas on how to specifically win against a team with gouging fire on it, using the bug type. It was not possible outside of hax or misplay on the opponent's part, besides relying on gimmicks like HDB counter forretress, something telegraphed from a mile away. I also refrained from commenting during the suspect test, as I have not played monotype at all since coming to that conclusion (although have been observing games throughout), and therefore it didn't seem right to try to sway anyone's opinions one way or the other. I also felt that the issue that I had with Gouging Fire was more obvious than it turned out to be.
Regardless, due to how the balancing system works for the monotype metagame, what's done is done for now, and, as I can't really ladder with my favourite type, I have no interest in starting to play again until the next generation.
I wish you good luck with finding whatever pokemon that it being specifically the first ban feels right enough for you to vote for it.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Like many others I find it a shame the end result we got, and it definitely feels far from the last we will be hearing about Gouging, but unfortunately all we can do from here is move on. Glad to see people are sharing their thoughts here, more than usual, so at the very least there is a positive in community involvement to gain from this suspect. A small bright side. Anyways, I wanted to take a lil time to respond to some stuff and give my OWN takes on things going forward. I know a lot of people wanted council to post or whatever, but I'm just giving my personal two cents as per usual.

No, what I really want to point out is, from my point of view,
"Gouging suspect resulted in no ban" ≠ "there was no change in the metagame, we are doomed to play this shit tier until gen 10" and I feel like there's a few people that have a hard time separating those 2 ideas. My point being, while there may not have been any direct change in the "game" part, at least the way we see the tier as a whole (the "meta") has been altered for a significant group of capable players, who if presented with another survey might now rank gouging lower that they originally did (myself included). My point being that, I do think that this suspect was extremly useful for the growth of the metagame. Not only was it the most logical choice from the survey's answers, but it sparked critical thinking , which for me would be the most important part of suspects, because one which wouldn't induce any wouldn't be any different from a "slow quickban". Gouging isn't a problem for everyone, now imo we should just move on to the next mon.

Also I've heard a lot of people say that we had to ban it if we wanted council to make more decisions, which I think is just not true lol. They're not some children that would sulk at the community because we're "undecisive", it's a group of many well thought people that I'm sure can adapt to whatever happens and will end up getting it right.
As much of a doomer as I can find myself being, I do agree with Frao's general statement here; this meta is not "doomed". After what feels like an unsuccessful suspect it just becomes more apparent than ever that we need to continue taking action with certain pokemon going forward. I don't fully agree that people would vote Gouging much lower upon a revisit since the dnb ratio was quite small, but regardless there is a future for this metagame to work toward, and I really feel like SV's potential is high so long as the community follows up on opportunities to change the metagame when presented them. Aside from that, like others have said in this thread, this tiers power level is insanely high and a lot of pokemon feel like they need to be cut down; one remains standing but there is many others to go, and Gouging can always be revisited if it continues to appear problematic as the tier changes down the line. TL;DR is I think the outcome sucks but the tier is far from dead, as council most we can give is quicker tests and as a community most you can do is put in the effort to get reqs and cast your vote.

Sorry bro but to dismiss Arch as a 1-trick pony who can only T-wave and set rocks seems unfortunate, to say the least. As stated above, it has so many tools to be so much more. Scarf is very legit and can clutch some surprise KO's. AV Arch is a meme but when it uses Mirror Coat vs your Moonblast or Draco Meteor, only your opponent will be laughing. Most of all Stamina is just too good on a mon with 9 resistances and only 2 weaknesses.

Also such narrow minded thinking is why so many struggle to qualify for reqs vs unpredictability of ladder.

P.S. There's a reason why it's banned in OU
I don't think Boomps post was about dismissing Archaludon's other sets, but moreso the "problematic" aspects people mentioned being almost solely on its defensive sets. The versatility of defensive being hard to kill, being a reliable rocker and either having hard to wall coverage or twave/roar utility was the main things mentioned about it. Set versatility can obviously make a "broken' mon more broken, but in Archaludons case its very much just an added luxury and not "scarf and av are also so broken !!!"

Also it being banned in OU is a very pointless throwaway line, idt I need to explain to anyone why assault vest tera fairy electro shot spamming rain-wallbreaker Archaludon is not even remotely close to the same as the Archaludon we are dealing with, lol.

On the topic of Archaludon...

2 :archaludon: this pokemon has been in the radar since before the survey has been posted but council just like to act as if its a current fever dream by the community, it has insane bulk, insane utility and overall its in the best types too. i think it should be suspected in the very least
I am quite tired of debunking this nonsense. I looked through the monotype discord, the forums, the council chat, and the whopping 9 whole (not even all qualified mind you) votes mentioning Archaludon. This pokemon has not been on any radar since before the suspect, and if it was it was between jerks/communities keeping it to themselves. Council cannot see into every private space, or keep track of every throwaway whisper of a broken pokemon in the showdown chats. If people want to keep their takes behind closed doors, that is fine, but do not act like others are delusional for not knowing. Post on the forums and discuss if you really think something should be tested.

Doesn't really track with the numbers. The qualified pool of players in the survey (e.g. the pool of players from where suspect voters are far more likely to be pulled from) felt stronger about tiering action on Gouging than did the general playerbase, which also felt pretty strong. This isn't really a case of newer players agitating for a ban no one seriously thought was an issue. Gouging was voted most problematic among both the general and qualified groups by a decent distance.

The two aren't consistent. Either people changed their minds (perfectly fair), people weren't motivated to actually complete the suspect for whatever reason (probably assuming other people would do the work to get Gouging banned), or people who weren't pro-ban (one puzzling thing I saw was people voting DNB because there are "bigger problems in the tier") were motivated in sufficient enough numbers to have GF stay.
Just wanted to reply to this and agree with Dragapults first paragraph, in response to some people saying we either suspected the wrong pokemon or that the survey isn't accurate to playerbase opinion. The qualified voters wanted this. I also want to echo the second paragraph's portion mentioning how people weren't voting off the assumption Gouging would just get banned; this type of thinking I've seen often in every suspect in every tier. Like I mentioned in an earlier part of this post, as a community you all really need to work towards the metagame you are wanting to play. As for the "bigger problems in the tier", I will lightly touch on that later in this post. Probably.

I don't really know what this post is trying to say. Tour performance is often considered the highest level so naturally questions regarding those will qualify a user over general playerbase, and most of said tournament players did get reqs. Beyond that, the "ladder heroes" were given a question as well, about whether or not they were in the current top 50. If you have any other suggestions on how to gauge qualified players, please do go ahead and post them.

I believe we, as a community, has simply gotten used to the power creep this generation and this is the reason why we have so many controversial threats running around in the metagame. You might tell me "Oh TTK, you voted dnb on Gouging Fire so can you talk?" and I'll say this, Gouging was not the necessary first step to reaching the ideal metagame. Maybe I'm too hung up on the process but I'm not the only person that believed that Gouging was not the suspect we needed to have.

This post is mainly is just lay down my stance on the pokemon in the metagame I would like to just have gone. Some of these issues may not be addressed for quite a while but I'd rather just get this off my chest.
To follow TTK's post. I would have put Flutter Mane in the "should be quickbanned mon" list. I would also add Heat Rock and Icy Rock for more equity here but I can understand than the last one doesn't really benefit as much as the 3 others to teams.

For Ogerpons, I want to make a difference between Hearthflame (fire) and Wellspring (water). The first one is helped by his ability mold breaker allowing it in sun to click Ivy Cudgel against whatever especially Heatran but it has 25% chance of 0HKO at +2 (240hp/252+def) Archaludon. The mon is very complicated to handle. The Water one is THE physical attacker of water type helping a lot in mirors and I think it's less an issue.

For the borderline list, as I have written in the survey, Zamazenta. Espathra is not really healthy neither if you don't have a dark mon. Also Gouging Fire ban should be around here as the meta would be drastically different than the actual one without Baxcalibur and without Heat Rock.
Also some mons that needs to be looked at are Raging Bolt, Kyurem and Spectrier. They are not an issue right now but can become one very quickly. And I think there are more that I cannot remember as I did seriously the survey with the actual list of available options.

I do not agree about sleep clause, I think paralysis is more unfair and unbalanced as sleeping policy put you in a position of one and only one sleep fodder while your whole team could be paralyzed.

For the council part of TTK's post. I would say that if you do not want to participate in the suspect for any reason, at least give an opinion about the pokemon and/or the metagame more often so the playerbase will know what you think. Also, survey policy cannot rule the tier as in OU they did not put Archaludon as very problematic in their survey but it has been ban (they also have poor tiering decision looking at Gliscor suspect, ban and unban).
Next step would probably be to suspect Archaludon or Baxcalibur (yes, him again). DLC2 represented the biggest metagame shift since the release of gen9 metagame, and for this reason I believe that the argument that "bax just recently got suspected" should not be used for this particular scenario. I understand it might controversial to have two suspect tests in the same Pokemon within such short time frame, but the environments are completely different. I will also be giving some thoughts in other Pokemon which may be problematic (please note that I'm not necessarily supporting a ban in every mon, but the general issues that I have with how these elements interact with competitiveness of gen9monotype).
This is the part where we talk about specific mons, and this is also the part where I am very very much not talking for anyone on council but myself.

:Archaludon: I don't really want to go into a whole thing about this pokemon, but of the 14 DNB voters, some brought up Archaludon as a potential broken. This still comes off as a very vocal minority opinion, and analyzing the ban of this mon itself just doesn't sit right with me. This pokemon is not the game-ender Gouging and Baxcalibur are, and as far as defensive capabilities went, even Gouging's were extemely phenomenal. Do I think Archaludon is one of, if not the most useful pokemon on dragon? I do. Do I think banning it would magically make teams with Gouging + Baxcalibur not oppressive? Absolutely not. To echo the words of a lot of people against Gouging Fire's ban, Archaludon is not "the right pokemon to suspect right now". It will not fix the metagame, it will just force dragon builds to maybe commit to being ever so slightly more offensively oriented after the loss of a defensive glue, while still having a chokehold on the tier. Also funny enough, Archaludon is one of the nicest checks to both Gouging and Baxcalibur, so I definitely think banning it would suck in that regard. This is definitely something revisit after the tier has developed further (preferably via bans).

:Baxcalibur: This is likely the ideal pokemon to move onto next in terms of action. It was one of the other pokemon mentioned in DNB arguments, but unlike Archaludon was mentioned plenty beforehand on the survey. The 'dragon is oppressive" issue still shines through for most people I'd imagine, and suspecting dragons arguably greatest wall-breaker seems like the way to go. I won't go into what makes Baxcalibur busted here, I think we've all heard it plenty.

:Chien-Pao: :Flutter-Mane: :Zamazenta: :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: :Kingambit: I agree with all of these aforementioned threats being too much (to no ones surprise). Obviously there is an order to things, and going forward I would hope we pump out constant surveys regarding these pokemon, and I would hope the community really thinks hard about their priorities in regards to what should be tested first, so we avoid having "this is the wrong pokemon to suspect" mentioned for the 100th time. All of these pokemon contribute to the power creep of the tier, being limited in defensive counterplay and extremely tough to beat out offensively as well due to their many tools (priority, bulk, speed, strong team support). But this is all talk for way later down the line.

:Ogerpon-Hearthflame: :Ogerpon-Wellspring: These two have felt strange in current meta; I found them extremely broken in DLC1 and then not so much in DLC2, but the more I play other types I think its moreso a matter of them struggling vs dragon and fire (yes Wellspring is rough into fire). Any other type I loaded into these pokemon was hell. They are extemely versatile in their ability to break defensive answers, like Wellspring running taunt to beat most dnites/gyarados', or running superpower for Archaludon. Hearthflame replaces set versatility with sun boosted cudgels being unwallable, and ontop of that these 2 are hard to kill without actively running moves just for them (Xscissor Drill, sludge wave Gren, Life orb Valiant, etc). Regardless, I think they aren't high priority right now, but definitely something to touch on later especially if we reach a point where dragon is no longer meta-warping.

:Espathra: has been mentioned here and there; beyond it just not having many people vouching against it, psychics extremely low usage, and that low usage not often including an espathra, I cannot in full honesty say this is something that needs action anytime soon. I do find speed boost + stored power an inherently broken/uncompetitive combo, but it still needs some results.

:Heat-Rock: and :Icy-Rock: have also been brought. As mentioned by I believe Mushamu in the suspect thread, the only thing holding Fire back is dragon. Into every other matchup fire does feel quite overbearing, so removing heat rock could be a viable step. Limits fires ability to endlessly click raging fury through every type, limits its speed control options, and limits Ogerpon's ability to just obliterate every defensive answer (it still can but, there is better odds to live now). Icy rock I would only include out of a desire to be consistent and say "ban all weather rocks", but beyond that ice hasn't been anything noteworthy enough to seriously suggest this.

Sleep hasn't been an active hinderance to the meta and if anything give trash types like grass and poison some tools to work with, so for now I'd argue it brings something of value to the metagame, however small, and is worth keeping until further notice of it being a problem.

In any case, agreements or disagreements aside, it would be nice if this many people keep posting in this thread going forward. It will help build understanding of others takes on the meta, and as we understand opposing sides better I think common ground will be easier to achieve for future suspects. Heres to hoping our next test is a smooth ban. For now I leave you all with this.

Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Breaking Swipe
- Dragon Dance
- Morning Sun

Broken, trust.

I'll be honest, I was for banning gouging for a long time.
I think that since then my opinion has evolved like most players.
I couldn't say if Gouging Fire is really broken, it is certainly very strong and has a lot of usable sets.
But for me the Core Goodra H/Archaludon/Dragapult statut is probably the best defensive core that the type is known for and which allows baxcalibur/gouging/latios... to be much more efficient than usual.
if you want to be convinced of this, try playing chomp and dragalge instead of archaludon/goodra h and you will see that strangely without this defensive support you will not have the same result.
I'm not saying that Gouging Fire isn't bannable, just that this support really makes it even stronger.
So what should archaludon banish? , banishing it would greatly handicap Steel who would no longer have a response to Ogerpon fire.
I don't have the answer for what follows, however I recommend being really careful about your next actions, I saw tiers being destroyed because we had banned a pokemon which led to a wave of bans.
The current meta is certainly not perfect, it is filled with fairly strong threats but which fortunately are divided into several types.
and even if some pokemon are border line, it's still quite pleasant to play a powerful generation even if I understand that the balance is difficult to find
sorry if my english are not quite good ( french and old clause).
Good luck to the council.

I absolutely do not give a shit whether dragon remains the best type, and I never saw Gouging Fire as the pokemon that directly caused this being the case. The fact that people used this as their main deciding factor is extremely stupid in my opinion, though. It remaining in the meta means it is statistically unviable to play bug and grass on the ladder, as it does autowin against those types, regardless of how you build your team. This is not a "if you have a problem with it, you can build around it" situation. There is no build. There is not a single pokemon on either type that lets you win if the opponent is bringing GF, which, at around a sixth of the matches if not more, they will. Shutting out entire types from laddering should be viewed as a way bigger transgression than causing the top type to be as consistent as they are. Yes, Gouging Fire isn't the most problematic pokemon on a dragon team in most matches, but that's because it has prevented an uncertain amount of matches where it would have been from ever happening.
I had no interest in playing on the ladder once I had exhausted my ideas on how to specifically win against a team with gouging fire on it, using the bug type. It was not possible outside of hax or misplay on the opponent's part, besides relying on gimmicks like HDB counter forretress, something telegraphed from a mile away. I also refrained from commenting during the suspect test, as I have not played monotype at all since coming to that conclusion (although have been observing games throughout), and therefore it didn't seem right to try to sway anyone's opinions one way or the other. I also felt that the issue that I had with Gouging Fire was more obvious than it turned out to be.
Regardless, due to how the balancing system works for the monotype metagame, what's done is done for now, and, as I can't really ladder with my favourite type, I have no interest in starting to play again until the next generation.
I wish you good luck with finding whatever pokemon that it being specifically the first ban feels right enough for you to vote for it.
Gonna raise a point here also. Generally speaking, we've kinda established a spectrum of how broken a pokemon can be towards a type/how much it can invalidate a type based on:
A: how viable/important/structurally sound said type being destroyed is. Pressure and stress from Ogerpon vs. Water/Ground will alway scream louder than from Zamazenta vs. Ice/Rock for these reasons. They're both types that are far more viable, deemed relevant to the meta, and have enough solid options for solid backbones and a variety of team composites. Another example of how being structurally sound is important, is grass, especially Pre-Home grass for example had far fewer options then right now. As a result it was far more open to many of the top threats such as Flutter, and arguments of Flutter vs. Grass weren't really taken into account as Flutter being broken, as much as Grass being incapable.

B: What level of counterplay exists, if any. Most often, we see this point brought up with Flying. Flying Vs. Pao, and Flying vs. Bax for example. Flying checks the box for being an extremely Viable type, that has solid cores and structure, and is often a pretty meta defining type for it's reliability and skill ceiling. It's not at all held in the same regard as a type such as grass as a result. When we look at how Bax affects flying, it's in terms of team constraints, unreliability in answering, needing to run mons such as Iron Defense Skarm, and having difficulty checking once Bax gets to +2. It's not entirely an autolose - you have multiple checks for unboosted, and often 1 when it is boosted. That being said, the prevalence of Bax, and unreliability in answering due to Bax's team support, and especially flinch chance from Icicle Crash, means that while it's not entirely unwinnable, Bax users pretty much go in with the expectation of a win unless something goes awry (icicle crash misses).

C: The Prevalence of a mon/types and team support a mon has. A pretty good example here is Breloom or Scizor. Breloom is a bit of a cheat code vs. water, there are checks sure, but it's another one of those cases we write up as "a monotype moment". That being said, not only is it not common on fighting, but it's secondary type is Grass which already wins the water mu and is a D tier type. In addition, there's enough counterplay for Water to not be a complete autoloss. Similarly with Scizor, it's probably the worst mon a fairy player could run into. That being said, there're still answers with Foul Play Klefki, along the likes of unaware clef with a fire move for example or something with a babiri berry, Ice users used to rely on HP Fire whereas now they often rely on snow's defense boost + screens to take the hits allowing for more options to 1v1, and Rock has Coalossal or something a bit less common like Rhyperior or bulkier Harcanine.

I would say one of the annoying things about Gouging Fire is we've completely reestablished where the bar is in terms of a mon being able to invalidate a type. Bug, without Gouging Fire, would easily be C tier with solid options to act as an anti-meta. That is a type which would otherwise be fully viable in taking part in the meta, which will now hold nowhere near the same weight or potential as a tour type. I mean it's a type that wins Dark/Fairy and held it's own just fine in Water, Ground, Flying with variations to help with matchups, and dragon would otherwise be a fairly solid neutral as well without GF. In addition, unlike mons we've seen as problematic for how one sided they can be in certain matchups previous to this, I'd argue the types that struggled vs. those mons have always had some level of an answer even if slight. Heck, Bug vs. Gen 6 Talonflame was better than Bug vs. Gouging Fire is right now. All the while, GF is on the most used types and with solid team support. Not to mention but this isn't like Gen 8 Rock where banning a single mon wouldn't change viability rankings at all, fairy wouldn't change VR either if Scizor left I doubt, whereas here it's fully holding back a type.

I know it's late for discussion on it but still, I doubt anyone really considered how down bad Bug/Grass are vs. it, and I doubt anyone had any regard for whether or not it would have an impact on these lower viability types. Rather I see the 57% ban vote to be solely from it's impact on the upper meta.

Manky D Comfey here,

I’ve been playing monotype on and off for a while pretty casually but I’ve recently started taking it seriously this month trying to climb the ladder and participate in whatever events I can. I was able to reach top 300 not long ago and took a break to see how this GF suspect would play out before trying for higher. I just wanted to provide some thoughts as someone relatively new with a lot of games played in a pretty short amount of time (almost all post DLC2). Hopefully I can add a unique perspective that may provide some value, but if not at least I’ll be fuel for the fire!

Caveats:
1. I did not go for recs to vote until the last day and I didn’t get enough games in to make it but I would’ve voted for a ban had I and I’ll explain below.
2. I actually like the meta currently but also think a freshening up would be most welcome.

Observations:

Dragon & Steel

If you play on the ladder you will see these two types in what feels like at least 30% or more of your games. The versatility, bulk, and sheer power level that these types have access to is almost absurd. I’m not willing to point to any one mon as the “root of all evil” here but there is a big difference in power level between what a mono dragon team has access to and what a mono grass team has access to atm. Now what I’m not trying to say is that these two types are unbeatable or that you have to pick them to succeed. I won most of my games on the ladder with dark and ghost, but made the switch to dragon for the final push through 1500 just because of how easy it felt to pilot and how forgiving it could be. The point I’m trying to make is that to climb on the ladder currently; it seems to me, that you have to use something “broken”.

Something Broken

What do I mean when I say something broken? I simply mean the usual suspects:

In no particular order:
Chien Pao
Fluttermane
Zamazenta
Archaludon
Gouging Fire
Baxcalibur
Ursaluna-BM
Kingambit

These Pokemon are always a threat and they are almost always on their respective teams meaning you must have an answer for them or you will lose when you play them. Now, that in and of itself isn’t a problem necessarily. Pokémon will always be about checking the popular threats there’s no way around that. The issue, I think, is that two of those are steel, three of them are dragon, and one of them is both. Do I think any of these mons are totally game breaking? No I don’t think so. But I do think they’ve contributed to a kind of rock, paper, scissors metagame where you’re either playing Dragon, anti-dragon, or anti-anti dragon. That type of metagame can, and will, get stale for players and lead to decreased enjoyment in the tier which I think is becoming evident.

Solutions?

I think this tier has a lot of potential and I’d like to see it thrive with as big a player base as possible. That said what needs to be done? Well I believe something needs to be banned. It almost doesn’t matter what it is as long as it’s a steel type or a dragon type from the list above. I believe the tier is currently set up like dominoes where once the first one falls several will follow behind it. I simply think that toppling some of these tier behemoths will open up avenues for more types and more diversity within the types at the top currently.

Conclusion

To wrap up, I think it’s a shame that GF didn’t get banned. Not because it’s wildly broken, but because we missed an opportunity for change. The meta is starting to go stale for a lot of people as it’s become rock, paper, scissors to oversimplify. While there is certainly still competitive value to attain from this, there’s also something to be said about reaching more players and having a healthy meta, not just a competitive one. Nothing could change until the next DLC or game and people will still play monotype. But some won’t. And I find that tragic and avoidable. I plan to grind recs for any coming suspect and will probably vote ban regardless because I believe that will lead to a healthier ecosystem in the long term even if it has to get a little worse before it gets better. Long live monotype. All of you are great <3

to clarify, in my first post i did not say that this meta is doomed, just that it's going to take a hell of a lot more work now to get to where we want to be. i believe that the activity on here is a huge step in the right direction but that we should not just stop suddenly when we get one thing that we want, we need to keep pushing until we get the meta we truly want. i also agree with a lot of what scarfire brought to the table above, too lazy to quote specific parts tho. my stance on the whole heat rock thing that's come out of nowhere is that action should be taken, but not right now. as scarfire said above, dragon is what's keeping fire in check. so once dragon is taken care of, fire might be overwhelming which then a heat rock ban would make the most sense. overall, keep up the activity and some change might finally happen, all hope is not lost.

cpt.kraken

I COULD BE BANNED!
A lot of talk with Cielau and I do not understand the logic behind Gouging Fire no ban means no ban will be possible. Most of DNB voters, including me, are just waiting for real actions from council. Not a poor suspect test on a mon that doesn't even change anything but some real strong quickbans. If council would have banned Gouging Fire with some other threats, I could have been very fine with it as I will vote for a ban in another meta. But in the actual meta, it's fine.

You have a list that is frequently repeated : :baxcalibur: , :chien_pao: , :kingambit: , :flutter_mane: , :heat_rock: . Try at least this. You can also add :ursaluna_bloodmoon: . Then we will be able to talk about Ogerpons, Zamazenta, Archaludon (tho banning it first will instantly make bax, king, pao, gouging ban), Gouging Fire.
There are a lot of mons that are stupidly strongs and way stronger than Gouging Fire. I play a lot water and I beat easily dragon until Raging Bolt appears. With steel, Gouging is quite easily handled if you're not hard throwing your Heatran and Archaludon.

I think now it is time to see a strong council that communicates a lot and that is able to quickban mons (easier than getting reqs, trust).
Some people will always disagree on stuffs but it will help playerbase to trust what council thinks and do a bit more ! Or we wait until legend ZA for new broken mons or gen10.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
There are a lot of mons that are stupidly strongs and way stronger than Gouging Fire.
Let's say you burned your food when you cooked it. Not ideal, but you can fix it and have a nice meal. That is, until the house goes up in flames. Now what? This is the reality that I see this metagame descending into after this suspect test, and why I consider the DNB argument to be completely illogical.

At this point, I think we have to try to potentially quickban stuff and test it back into the metagame. Yes, I am crazy. But am I the crazy type of person who should go to the asylum? Only time will tell.

My proposal is to do what OU discussed and do something akin to a Kokoloko slate. For those who don't know what that is, it's where OU tried to ban a bunch of problematic stuff at once. It failed, but OU has descended into a meta that is routinely complained about and is considered to be in a terrible state (both first-hand and through testimony). Maybe now is the time where we need to have change in this metagame.

Here's the specifics.

We should quickban:
:baxcalibur:
(3.33 general, 3.62 qualified)
:chien-pao: (3.41 general, 3.33 qualified)
:ogerpon-hearthflame: (2.97 general, 3.21 qualified)
:ursaluna-bloodmoon: (2.90 general, 2.88 qualified)

We should resuspect in the future:
:gouging fire: (3.57 general, 3.71 qualified)
:flutter mane: (3.06 general, 2.90 qualified)

We should potentially suspect in the future after all of the aforementioned have been done:
:zamazenta:
:archaludon:
:kingambit:
(2.78 general, 2.64 qualified)

I know this is out of left field.
But it is change, in a tier that the playerbase clearly feels needs some change to shake things up. Perhaps this is the right option. Perhaps it is not. But it's action. We can see what the tier looks like after these actions, and if there's something that people want back, add it back.

Everyone is arguing while nothing gets done. That is the miserable state monotype has gotten to. Here is my conclusion after laddering and reading all the dumb posts. I think the biggest problem with the current situation is not that a pokemon is particularly overwhelming; it's not that the council is lazy and wouldn't do something; it's with the community at large. No one individually or collectively is to blame as the problem stems solely from the extremeness of this generation's power creep. A lot of less experienced players as well as some experienced old players strongly dislike this gen's monotype because of it. Many like bigpapa0of, one of the top gen 8 player, quit and left to play stuff like nat dex mono, etc.

The previous part might not make sense but here is the main point of this post. Due to power creep, there are an extremely large quantity of things that are very problematic. As a result, the tier is more volatile, feels very dumb and is less condusive to skill. Below is a comprehensive(I hope so) list of things that the general public doesn't like. I'm not going to argue my own opinions but I will look at everything from the perspective of someone that wants it banned. My opinion on the below list is simple: Too many threats are problematic, but none are particularly standing out, some maybe more than others. There are only 2 solutions to said problem, either ban all of them or close to all of them AT ONCE(not in individual suspects, do it together) or just let it be and stop whining. The reason the coucil can't do anything is because the meta is not conducive to us agreeing on sth, so either bite the bullet and pull an OU, or suppress your own beliefs and deal with it. I tried my best to keep each explanation brief.

:Archaludon::
The combination of incredible typing, great defenses alongside 125 spa and stamina, this thing seems to be impossible to kill before it punchs a huge hole you your team.
:Baxcalibur::
Setting up behind veil(on ice) or behind screens(on dragon) combined with incredible bulk and obscene attack makes it very dificult to stop. This is made infinately worse because loaded dice + swords dance is not the only set, there is also dd boots, choice band etc.
:Chien-Pao::
This thing is obscenely strong with its ability and the fact that it as reliable priority in succer punch and ice shard, combined with boots and swords dance or choice band, you've a big problem. This also doesn;t help with the fact that mandibuzz can reliably clear rocks off for it on dark.
:Espathra::
CM + Stored power + speed boost is inherently just uncompetitive(with psychic's lack of prominence, this is one of the least concerning ones)
:Flutter Mane::
135 spe + 135 spa + ghost fairy stab is incredibly unfair(without booster energy and tera as well as shit bulk and strong weekness to priority, it's also one of the lesser concerning ones)
:Ogerpon Hearthflame::
Mold breaker make counterplay borderline non existent. The combo of fire(high crit, non contact)+grass stab, swords dance, and surprising good movepool make this very difficult to deal with. Not helped by the fact that it has sun on mono fire.
:Ursaluna-Bloodmoon::
This thing's absurd bulk, priority, 140 BP normal stab that can hit ghost, ground stab to rocks and steels,calm mind, and moonlight. It seems obscene to try to contend with.
:Gouging Fire::
Whether is defensive or offensive. This pokemon does it all. Defensive sets have dragon tail, and morning sun, and one of the greatest moves of all time: burning bulwark. The latter 2 being very prevalent on offensive sets, which has excellent type coverage with fire, dragon, and ground. It's impossible to what set it is at team preview and often, if the set predicted is wrong, you well, just loose.
:Kingambit::
Idk, but 50% boost to all your attacks when all your allies are fainted alongside priority in succer punch and swords dance which is hilariously in your favor to win seems a bit much.
:Ogerpon Wellspring::
Similar to hearthflame but to a lesser degree, rain alongside good typing, swords dance, and great moves make this very hard to stop once set up.
:Zamazenta::
If you have no special attackers, you lose because you're not breaking through ID+dauntless shield + body press. Even if do have special attacks, this is so fast that you special attackers still lose.
. :Heat Rock:..:
8 turns of sun for the fire team to spam fire attacks at you, let alone the occasional chlorophyll scovillain, seems incrediably unfair
. :Icy Rock:..:
8 turns of 2x defense and chance to setup veil makes setup sweepers obscene(looking at you pao and bax)
Sleep moves: The more offensive a meta is, the more valuable a single turn is. Even with one pokemon asleep, you are forced to waste 1 to 3 turns or flat out not use the sleeping pokemon. With a single turn being so valuable, even moves like grasse whistle and hynosis now seems reasonable.

Reminder: those are not my own opinions. The issue is that everyone have their own opinions. Most think a few of these should be banned while the others should not. If we merge everything together, what we get is a stalemate. I feel like now is a good time to take bold actions. Either go all the way and don't do anything. don't half-a** it. I don't care whether we are banning close to all of them or doing nothing. I just want people to quit complaining. That is all.

Last edited:

Azick

Love Sosa
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I am mad bored at work so i decided I would show off my typing skills tonight for Attribute. :heart:

I've already mentioned to some council members in passing that I think suspecting Gouging was always a mistake and it suprises me very little that it did not end up getting banned. It seemed broken at first and joined the type right when it got Arch and, consequently, got centralizing, but I don't think it ever was the main issue with the type. As some people have said its sort of a 'noob enabler' mon but tbh its not that hard to play around for most competent people with solid teams. Despite this I did vote ban mostly just because I felt it was a step in the right direction for the tier.

Most people are probably alrdy aware that I am a ban Baxc advocate through and through and I think SD Glaive Rush+Crash just rips through the majority of defensive counterplay, while Shard can beat much of the offensive counterplay making it vry overwhelming. This mon should either be voted on by council soon for a quickban or put up as another suspect by the end of the week.

Obviously people are seemingly more and more interested in discussing Arch and while I think that mon is difficult to justify by the current tiering definitions and I wouldn't personally vote to suspect it I think its understandable why its being discussed. One of the best support mon the tier has seen in my memory with a great typing great ability etc. Regardless, if your one of the people who are saying "oh only 10 people mentioned it on the survey so its irrel" please stop coping and recognize that if it was actually included on the survey it probably would of gotten results likely akin to at least the lower end of stuff such as Ogepron-W. It wasn't a mon that people were super obsessed w banning at the time so they didn't feel the need to write it in but not including it, is in itself, making people less likely to think to include it, especially when so many mons are being considered already. Anyways that sentiment just frustrated me but as I said I don't think this mon is very bannable within the tiering policy even if it is the "glue" that enables dragon to be as good as it is.

To fiinish I'm a proponent that the tier needs multiple bans but I feel like this thread is going kind of crazy with writing like 10 different things to ban within each post(where tf are heat rock, espartha, and such strong support for zama coming from). For the moment, personally, I think qb/suspect Baxc(please lord if its a suspect ban the thing people), and then look into like BM/Gambit/probably Hearthflame if Baxc gets banned and Dragon usage drops, and then see where the meta's at before even thinking abt stuff like flutter pao zama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)