Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the weirdest person here because I refuse to call any Pokemon by any pronouns except for neutral ones. If Pokemon are canonically sentient/have human intelligence, biological gender would not be the end all be all. Who is to tell poor Lilligant :lilligant: that it can't be a guy?

And I think it's funny that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon allowed Attract to work no matter what in the 2000s, and mainline series is still not caught up on that. Attract isn't even a good status and unlocking it for all genders would be based and a meaningful buff to one of the most forgotten, and yet still shoe-horned status effects. Let alone following the rest of the industry in removing gender-locked clothing options for the player.
Atract Cryogonal actually working? It would be a tier above AG.

I am the weirdest person here because I refuse to call any Pokemon by any pronouns except for neutral ones. If Pokemon are canonically sentient/have human intelligence, biological gender would not be the end all be all. Who is to tell poor Lilligant :lilligant: that it can't be a guy?

And I think it's funny that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon allowed Attract to work no matter what in the 2000s, and mainline series is still not caught up on that. Attract isn't even a good status and unlocking it for all genders would be based and a meaningful buff to one of the most forgotten, and yet still shoe-horned status effects. Let alone following the rest of the industry in removing gender-locked clothing options for the player.
all-gender attract might actually be worth running. being able to deny your opponent from doing anything 50% of the time is a better agency-robbing tool than paralysis or confusion, and the more turns you can deny your opponent via rng, the more likely they are to get tilted and make a mistake

If it is unbalanced then well, get rid of the mechanic tbh. I think it's worse that it exists in the state it does, than just not exist in general. Pokemon canonically have human level intelligence, and I'd like that to reflect in how the series tackles attraction and gender. I mean, those words are literally used, for it to have a biological/philosophical intelligence of a goldfish on that level is weird.

At least officially there isn't stuff like those fanmade gender differences that basically just do Ms. Pac Man for every species.

(checks notes)

Nevermind they actually did that with Eevee and Pikachu, pretty much.

If it is unbalanced then well, get rid of the mechanic tbh. I think it's worse that it exists in the state it does, than just not exist in general. Pokemon canonically have human level intelligence, and I'd like that to reflect in how the series tackles attraction and gender. I mean, those words are literally used, for it to have a biological/philosophical intelligence of a goldfish on that level is weird.

At least officially there isn't stuff like those fanmade gender differences that basically just do Ms. Pac Man for every species.

(checks notes)

Nevermind they actually did that with Eevee and Pikachu, pretty much.
1686862789246.png

So I’ve been making a lot of silly sets on various Pokémon’s ..

but when you do something that’s got utility on an actual useful Pokémon, you make ladder players RQ..

:Garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Curse
- Protect
- Recover

curse and protect look weird on the same set.. here’s the justification:

- there is an argument to be made that using stealth rock on Garg is wasting a slot on a very potent pokemon

- curse allows your salt cures to be harder to block with substitute

- curse removes chilly reception counterplay and causes rage quits

- curse allows you to take hits from many physical attackers

- protect improves recovery

- protect is crucial in the leftovers MU vs great tusk and some others. Example: chipping tusk, and at some point in the tusk MU the opponent will be forced to knock off. After 2-3 switch out cycles you can allow them to knock off

- protect is crucial to stall out sun turns, Garg marches up okay verse most sun threats if it has protect. Without protect you can’t recover the 6.25% to come back in on another turn

- you will have many points where you go sub 50% HP. Protect can get you back in the game

- water type is general defensive utility as well as convenient matchups verse rain and niche hard hitters like volcanion. It will suck against grass knot enjoyers.

have now tested this out in quite a lot of games. Most good players use great tusk as a primary switch in, so against that you need the critical 12.5-25% damage on it with protect before you switch back out. Ideally you can use rocky helmet and knock off support to remove great tusk faster. Usually there’s 1-2 hitters that can hurt water type garganacl after the tusk. You don’t want to curse in front of a knock off great tusk until you’re confident you can take on the rest of a team.

-

First it was ghost type block garganacl removing toxapex

-

Now it’s curse type garganacl deleting the chillly reception twins

-

Garg hates regenerator pokemons and stall

Garg is contributing towards making grass and poison type coverage great again.

Garg enjoyers , what’s your thoughts?

Last edited:
So I’ve been making a lot of silly sets on various Pokémon’s ..

but when you do something that’s got utility on an actual useful Pokémon, you make ladder players RQ..

:Garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Curse
- Protect
- Recover

curse and protect look weird on the same set.. here’s the justification:

- there is an argument to be made that using stealth rock on Garg is wasting a slot on a very potent pokemon

- curse allows your salt cures to be harder to block with substitute

- curse removes chilly reception counterplay and causes rage quits

- curse allows you to take hits from many physical attackers

- protect improves recovery

- protect is crucial in the leftovers MU vs great tusk and some others. Example: chipping tusk, and at some point in the tusk MU the opponent will be forced to knock off. After 2-3 switch out cycles you can allow them to knock off

- protect is crucial to stall out sun turns, Garg marches up okay verse most sun threats if it has protect. Without protect you can’t recover the 6.25% to come back in on another turn

- you will have many points where you go sub 50% HP. Protect can get you back in the game

- water type is general defensive utility as well as convenient matchups verse rain and niche hard hitters like volcanion. It will suck against grass knot enjoyers.

have now tested this out in quite a lot of games. Most good players use great tusk as a primary switch in, so against that you need the critical 12.5-25% damage on it with protect before you switch back out. Ideally you can use rocky helmet and knock off support to remove great tusk faster. Usually there’s 1-2 hitters that can hurt water type garganacl after the tusk. You don’t want to curse in front of a knock off great tusk until you’re confident you can take on the rest of a team.

-

First it was ghost type block garganacl removing toxapex

-

Now it’s curse type garganacl deleting the chillly reception twins

-

Garg hates regenerator pokemons and stall

Garg is contributing towards making grass and poison type coverage great again.

Garg enjoyers , what’s your thoughts?
I miss shifu already... But now, what it does against sub mons?

I miss shifu already... But now, what it does against sub mons?
I’ll give it a few days before every 1900s + player has an adaptation to check this type of Garg.

It doesn’t do much if anything against substitute. So skeledirge, cloak gholdengo and friends will still be able to block it. It goes from 100 impact to near 0 against a team with a firm stop to it.

honestly as ridiculous as Garganacl can seem, it’s not a pro-stall Mon (serious). It’s a good add on to any team as a switch into stalls status moves.

anyone who hates Garg and simultaneously hates stall, try playing Garg a little.

Those trick room teams you see?

they hate Garg

admittedly that isn’t a good matchup to show, since the other player really avoided trick room usage and the 50/50 calls were so many… so this led to “low risk” plays that sacked pokemon unnecessarily but that’s what you get against good TR players lol.

My regenerator core of Glowking + Torn-T (with Grass Knot) completely invalidates Garg. Tera water is destroyed by grass knot. And they do not want to tera fairy with Glowking around.

My regenerator core of Glowking + Torn-T (with Grass Knot) completely invalidates Garg. Tera water is destroyed by grass knot. And they do not want to tera fairy with Glowking around.
if glowking has the grass knot, sure, point taken. Tornadus-T isn’t able to hurt as much, unless you’re running 252SpA life orb? It can be scouted, and the salt cure will hurt unless you Tera, so be careful.

if glowking has the grass knot, sure, point taken. Tornadus-T isn’t able to hurt as much, unless you’re running 252SpA life orb? It can be scouted, and the salt cure will hurt unless you Tera, so be careful.
Glowking doesn't need grass knot, the two of them combined allow for safe switches so that even if I predict wrong (i.e. Torn-T uses u-turn when Garg stays in) the enemy Garg makes 0 progress because they just recover the damage with regenerator.

Uninvested salt cure on Torn-T is almost entirely healed by regenerator. +1 salt cure would actually hurt... but still a 2HKO, and Torn will never have to take 2 boosted salt cures in a row.

Glowking doesn't need grass knot, the two of them combined allow for safe switches so that even if I predict wrong (i.e. Torn-T uses u-turn when Garg stays in) the enemy Garg makes 0 progress because they just recover the damage with regenerator.

Uninvested salt cure on Torn-T is almost entirely healed by regenerator. +1 salt cure would actually hurt... but still a 2HKO, and Torn will never have to take 2 boosted salt cures in a row.
With curse boosts salt cure can do a lot to torn.

With curse boosts salt cure can do a lot to torn.
+1 0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 156-186 (52.1 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Garganacl: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you have no hazards or chip damage, you will need to pivot out after the first grass knot... but you just go to Glowking, who heals all of the damage and chilly reception back into Torn.

TLDR Garg can't touch the new regenerator mons.

+1 0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 156-186 (52.1 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Garganacl: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you have no hazards, you will need to pivot out after the first grass knot... but you just go to Glowking, who heals all of the damage and chilly reception back into Torn.

Mind you, that’s just the damage of the salt cure itself. Not the chip damage side effect. So that calc looks more like 67.6-77.7% damage—not something you really are regenning back easily. And Naga forbid they get +2 on a predicted switch.

If you have no hazards or chip damage, you will need to pivot out after the first grass knot... but you just go to Glowking, who heals all of the damage and chilly reception back into Torn.

The thing is that Torn wouldn't get in for free since Slowking will outspeed when Garg is -1.

Mind you, that’s just the damage of the salt cure itself. Not the chip damage side effect. So that calc looks more like 67.6-77.7% damage—not something you really are regenning back easily. And Naga forbid they get +2 on a predicted switch.
With chip, the one hit is 58 - 66% (25-33% after regenerator)... that is actually quite easy to heal off when you have a slow pivot to bring in Torn (Glowking).

The thing is that Torn wouldn't get in for free since Slowking will outspeed when Garg is -1.
0 IV Glowking still slower than -1 Garg.

No…? Where are you getting those numbers? Salt Cure is 12.5%, not 6.25%.
My mistake. I used the 2nd calc and added on 12%. Regardless, your numbers weren't right, either - you added 15%.

Details aside: +1 salt cure and its chip damage are almost completely healed by 2 pivots, which are easy to get with slow pivot support. Glowking heals +1 salt cure damage with every pivot.

turd2 the math isn’t lining up,

your torn set doesn’t 2hko reliably against protect, it doesn’t break through. Meanwhile each turn you grass knot against the recover or protect is -12.5%. Torn t needs to Tera to beat the Garg.

it’s Garg that breaks that regen cycle, especially if it gets +2 Atk and just simply KOs the flying type tornadus (70% min roll with 25% over two turns)

turd2 the math isn’t lining up,

your torn set doesn’t 2hko reliably against protect, it doesn’t break through. Meanwhile each turn you grass knot against the recover or protect is -12.5%. Torn t needs to Tera to beat the Garg.
I am not staying in for more than one grass knot (unless the 2nd one is guaranteed to KO you).

It's a regenerator core. Not Torn vs. Garg 1v1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)