Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have missed that. What trailer was that shown in? I wonder what exactly it would be then if it isn't an omni type. I guess for attacking purposes it would be basically worthless and defensively it would be a steel type on steroids and even Game Freak can tell how bad both of those things would be to add. The only other option I can think of is defensively you become neutral to everything but gets stab on all attacks. Meh, it is pointless speculating and we only have a bit over a month to see what it is.
Gamefreak isn’t amazing at balancing, but omnitype would have 8 immunities and would only be weak to rock. There’s no way in hell that would ever make it past play testing, especially considering how it would ruin VGC almost instantly

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Gamefreak isn’t amazing at balancing, but omnitype would have 8 immunities and would only be weak to rock. There’s no way in hell that would ever make it past play testing, especially considering how it would ruin VGC almost instantly
Cornerstone ON TOP

But yeah without that youre boned.

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
its weak to rock slide. surely that means arcanine-H and scarf landorus-T can deal with it!

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Espathra can't get past Steels without Tera and would not be even close to broken. Things such as CM Nuzzle Hatterene still win 1v1.
Care to explain how is Hatterene gonna 1v1 a regular Sub+CM Espathra set? Seriously, how the fuck is it supposed to defeat it? I get my Espathra into the field once I get the chance, you immediately switch into your Hatterene and as you do so I go straight for the CM and get +1 SpA and SpDef, AND +2 Speed. Now literally not a single one of your moves breaks my sub, Psyshock sure fucking doesn't, and as you keep trying to break my Sub I get +6 Speed boosts while getting the chance to CM every other turn. Even after just 2 CMs Espathra gets 7 boosts, meaning that Stored Power is already at 160 BP and deals anywhere from 53% to 62% to a regular Hatterene set, so unless you have a (not banned) Kingambit in the back I sweep your entire team because of Dazzling Gleam coverage. And this is without taking into account Psychic Terrain, which means you sure as hell ain't Bullet Punching my Espathra with your Scizor, and the former's Stored Power gets another boost on top of everything else. Now imagine all of these AND I also have Aurora Veil up cause Ninetales-A is legal, contrary to back when Espathra used to be in OU.

first step, get gliscor banned. second step, pray that DLC2 brings back defog and also gives back the knock off its weirdly lacking this gen (why did they do this?)
they did that on purpose, it was a targeted nerf specifically for lando-t. the other genies still get knock off. and honestly, fuck lando, that thing's been annoying as shit for 3 gens in a row, so i'm fine with it being mid/bad this gen

Care to explain how is Hatterene gonna 1v1 a regular Sub+CM Espathra set? Seriously, how the fuck is it supposed to defeat it? I get my Espathra into the field once I get the chance, you immediately switch into your Hatterene and as you do so I go straight for the CM and get +1 SpA and SpDef, AND +2 Speed. Now literally not a single one of your moves breaks my sub, Psyshock sure fucking doesn't, and as you keep trying to break my Sub I get +6 Speed boosts while getting the chance to CM every other turn. Even after just 2 CMs Espathra gets 7 boosts, meaning that Stored Power is already at 160 BP and deals anywhere from 53% to 62% to a regular Hatterene set, so unless you have a (not banned) Kingambit in the back I sweep your entire team because of Dazzling Gleam coverage. And this is without taking into account Psychic Terrain, which means you sure as hell ain't Bullet Punching my Espathra with your Scizor, and the former's Stored Power gets another boost on top of everything else. Now imagine all of these AND I also have Aurora Veil up cause Ninetales-A is legal, contrary to back when Espathra used to be in OU.
Hatterene doesn't 1v1 Sub CM, but other Pokemon have an easier match-up against the Substitute set, such as Kingambit, Iron Treads, and Scizor. Maybe I overexaggerated Espathra being easy to deal with, but I seriously doubt it will be Uber with only Stored Power and Dazzling Gleam.

Stored Power and Dazzling Gleam.
Stored Power needs to be looked at. Can’t remember if I added that to the survey. It’s a cancerous strategy with Tera. It broke Magearna and probably will break Manaphy as well. Just as cheap with Cresselia, Hatterene, Galarcuno, Mew, and Jirachi.

Thankfully, I haven’t run into Power Trip Tera Corviknight yet.

So from this list, the new returning Pokémon are:

Generation 1: Venusaur, Blastoise, Vileplume, Tentacruel, Dodrio, Dewgong, Exeggutor, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lapras
Generation 2: Meganium, Feraligatr, Lanturn, Bellossom, Granbull, Skarmory, Kingdra, Porygon2, Smeargle, Hitmontop
Generation 3: Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Plusle, Minun, Flygon, Metagross
Generation 4: Rampardos, Bastiodon, Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Porygon-Z
Generation 5: Serperior, Emboar, Zebstrika, Excadrill, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Cinccino, Reuniclus, Galvantula, Golurk
Generation 6: Meowstic, Malamar
Generation 7: Incineroar, Primarina, Toucannon, Araquanid, Comfey, Minior
Generation 8: Alcremie, Duraludon

For those that want to properly theorize upcoming Pokémon slated for the Indigo Disk, this is the datamined Blueberry Academy Pokédex, now this may not be all the Pokémon that return, generally Mythical Pokémon don't get put in a Regional Pokédex
Not that I really care, but isn't this a spoiler?

Honestly I'm cool with Lando being OU cope if Gliscor gets banned. Same general role, less restricting, and less immediate threats means better meta. Happy with the tradeoff if we can get Knock Off, Toxic, Defog or even Spikes added.

Even if Espathra is balanced in Teraless, I'd probably never want it to come back to OU, same with Annihilape. It just way too easy to snowball out of control with these guys. Running Kingambit or Ting-Lu on every team shouldn't be mandatory just to deal with Esp, which is getting a free boost every turn to Stored Power. Eventually it will have the power to break through whatever crap comes in its way. Uninvested Gleam 2HKOes Samurott-H, making even that not a reliable answer. Relying on Sucker 50/50s to check it ain't ideal.

Annihlape is just BS. Admittingly, I think a case could be made for it to be balanced, but then you remember that specs Iron Valiant isn't even OHKOing it with Moonblast and that goes out the window. This mon is absurdly bulky, which will be made even more problematic on Screens teams. What's worse is that I don't think its full potential has even been realized. The sets commonly ran when it was legal were some variants of the Bulk Up set, some lead set, and a Scarf set I think, but this mon has so many other options that haven't been explored, like Encore, which it can abuse to get free Rage Fist boost. Rage Fist being unaffected by Unaware lets this mon completely F up guys like Dozo with its Bulk Up + Taunt set. And lets not forget Defiant, which it can use with Rage Fist to Ko back targets like Gholdengo and Valiant after they land a potential stat drop from their STABs. I don't think this mon will be remotely balanced.

I'm still in favor of retesting everything in OU, but I see these guys getting the axe two weeks into the post-DLC meta.

I'm in favor of retesting everything in OU, but I see these guys getting the axe two weeks into the post-DLC meta.
The meta would absolutely be completely unplayable with them around, so I hope we don't drop close to everything.

At least something like Iron Bundle gained new walls to it and an offensive revenge killer. What's new for Annihilape is Zoroark- Hisui, which is an unmon, Zapdos and Moltres for status fishing, and Ogerpon-Wellspring for boosting and doing huge damage to Annilihape. I don't think it would be healthy for Annihilape or Espathra to return to OU, making it a waste of time to drop them into the tier.

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
they did that on purpose, it was a targeted nerf specifically for lando-t. the other genies still get knock off. and honestly, fuck lando, that thing's been annoying as shit for 3 gens in a row, so i'm fine with it being mid/bad this gen
oh you probably would hate to see how its doing in VGC then

Even if Espathra is balanced in Teraless, I'd probably never want it to come back to OU, same with Annihilape. It just way too easy to snowball out of control with these guys. Running Kingambit or Ting-Lu on every team shouldn't be mandatory just to deal with Esp, which is getting a free boost every turn to Stored Power. Eventually it will have the power to break through whatever crap comes in its way. Uninvested Gleam 2HKOes Samurott-H, making even that not a reliable answer. Relying on Sucker 50/50s to check it ain't ideal.

Annihlape is just BS. Admittingly, I think a case could be made for it to be balanced, but then you remember that specs Iron Valiant isn't even OHKOing it with Moonblast and that goes out the window. This mon is absurdly bulky, which will be made even more problematic on Screens teams. What's worse is that I don't think its full potential has even been realized. The sets commonly ran when it was legal were some variants of the Bulk Up set, some lead set, and a Scarf set I think, but this mon has so many other options that haven't been explored, like Encore, which it can abuse to get free Rage Fist boost. Rage Fist being unaffected by Unaware lets this mon completely F up guys like Dozo with its Bulk Up + Taunt set. And lets not forget Defiant, which it can use with Rage Fist to Ko back targets like Gholdengo and Valiant after they land a potential stat drop from their STABs. I don't think this mon will be remotely balanced.

I'm still in favor of retesting everything in OU, but I see these guys getting the axe two weeks into the post-DLC meta.
i agree for the most part but if tera gets banned i probably wouldnt worry about espathra anymore. shit goes from legit broken in OU to an absolute meme of a teamslot. i honestly hope we do ban tera just so i can watch this dumbass bird fall from its former "grace" in real time. annihilape should probably only be unbanned if the council pulls the same "hey guys lets unban the same obviously broken pokemon for the 19219009215th time" shit they did with the crown tundra

as for the rest of the ubers banlist, keep them all gone. even ones that could actually get a retest like espathra and volcarona just are not worth the frustration of dealing with. unless we free all of them at the start for the sake of the running joke then quickban them a few days later then keep them banned. and dont free any them unless the tera-reliant ubers (espa, volc, eleki) have their beloved tera ripped from them

Hatt is the best of these, but none of these are broken or even particularly problematic. People have gotten accustomed to dealing with Garticuno which is why it's barely even seen anymore, mew is a terrible user with no recovery, jirachi is no better. Like come on.
Did I say the mons were broken or was my gripe with Stored Power and Tera?

Fact: It got Magearna banned.

Prediction: It will get Manaphy banned.

It’s time we address the problem not the symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 21)