Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Apperently there's a dance function in the demo, so is it
A)simply a cute little easter egg or
B)maybe following pokemon are back and you can do a little dance with them

hoping for B, but pirouettes where a thing in S&M so who knows really
Hidden animations aren't new to Sword and Shield. For example, in USUM if you did something similar (swinged the controller around) you would have the main charachter act disoriented and pretend it's falling over.

I'd think it's A :)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I know CRoll has posted saying nothing else, but I was reading through the thread and pulled out a few posts to reply too. I want to point out we are just as upset about this decision as a lot of you are, but there may be hope.

So umm, will Gen 8 OU just forever be Galar only mons, will smogon say fuck it and just allow everything or will we get like an unnoficial "unrestricted" ladder?
Smogon Leadership is currently discussing what to do regarding this decision going forwards. There will most likely be an OM which will have every Pokemon available, but it would not be called "Smogon OU".

But occasionally, I want to try some other Pokémon in my playthroughs than the ones the games place in my path. For instance, I love Ice-types, but decent Ice-types are rarely available until after the sixth Gym or so, so to use them in-game I trade over some bred ones from another game. And sometimes I look over the National Dex and think "Wouldn't it be fun to use this Pokémon in my next playthrough?" Currently, I'm going through Ultra Moon using Pokémon such as Tangela, Yamask and Combee, neither of which are native to Gen VII. But they are compatible with the games, so I could easily get them through online trade.

Sword and Shield will not let me have that same freedom in my casual play. If, say, Heracross isn't in the Galar Dex, I will never be able take it with me on my Galar adventure, no matter how many Heracross I transfer over to Home. I can't pick and choose freely from my previous-gen favourites anymore, but have to cross-check with the Galar Dex to see if I can play with it in glorious Switch graphics. That feeling of restriction will place a bitter taste in my mouth, even though I may fully be able to assemble many fun teams using only Galar Dex Pokémon. But it's exceedingly unlikely that the Galar Dex will have all the Pokémon I ever want to use in-game again. That unlimited pick-and-choose freedom I had in USUM will be no more. Sure, there are plenty of Pokémon I probably never would have used for in-game runs even if I could, but knowing that my options are restricted will be a negative experience in itself. Halving the number of available Pokémon will take away from the in-game variety we used to have.
Much like how CRoll plays, I like picking esoteric Pokemon to use in my play throughs. This limitation is somewhat irritating as some of the teams I have played in the past now cannot be recreated.

3. Can't buy the reasons: As for providing refining animations as well as balancing, I don't see much evidence. The animations look exactly as in the 3DS games, maybe with a different lighting. Not to mention Pokemon lack textures- I mean look at Incineroar in Smash Ultimate. Hopefully they'll improve upon it during development but we'll see. As for balancing, I'm not sure GF has a very different understanding of VGC than compared to players. If they want to balance it, they need to show some major buffs, such as movepools and ability updates, as well as some massive stat distributions. Buffing and nerfing mechanics such as Hail and Psychic Terrain should be considered too.

So here are my thoughts. I'm still picking this up because I can't wait for the wild zone as well as not minding the cut of Pokemon.
I don't understand the "Balancing" reasoning at all, when they have already specifically shown Pokemon like Vanniluxe and Butterfree. You know, those well known VGC powerhouses. We've already seen Pokemon like Tyranitar as well. The choices seem random at best currently.

ANYWAY:

I have not yet updated the OP with the NEW Pokemon, Impidimp and Yamper as they currently don't have proper web pages on the main website (which is a bit strange). Both of them are looking interesting, Impidimp's side view makes the model look tonnes better than what we initially saw from it. People are theorising that Yamper will evolve into the "greyhound" like Pokemon we saw on some of the advertising boards in one of the gym locations too. Impidimp is likely going to evolve into some form of Vampiric like demon I guess? Nessa appears to be Gym 3 as well (I'd be shocked if she was Gym 2 after Milo). Which fits with the route that I was expecting us to take going onwards.

The more I looked at the map compared to what the direct showed us, the more confused I ended up getting in terms of scales and the routing involved. Game Explain did a really good video detailing where most of the camera angles are at, but the views seen in game don't match the large overworld map we were given. There is an extra bridge in the lower "lake" zone of the Wild Area, as well as an extra river/lake near the three bridges which also isn't shown on the map. Similarly, there is a river shown to the west of the Dragon Castle building, which isn't on the map either. I think the Wild Area might actually be larger than initially shown on the map, even at its smallest size possible. Don't forget we we also have more traditional Pokemon encounters in caves and other locations too. So whilst I dislike having Pokemon in the overworld, at least there is still some "exploration" work required to track down the right weather systems and locations for a lot of Pokemon to spawn. I am however dismayed that Wingull made it into the game again :(

Uh, I'm just telling that you might have missed that mod Codraroll already said not to talk about this Dexit debacle anymore. We're just going to loop back in negativity anyway. So let's talk about other things?
... sorry, gotta go home first (no pun intended) before going lappy again.
Ok.
I didn't comment on it before and the thread had jumped twenty pages since yesterday when I last visited so going through it all was not an option.
I was quite impressed that everyone seemed so calm from the pages I did read but I guess that's because of a gagging, lol.

In the Famitsu interview, Masuda mentioned that there will be something like rating battles (Battle Spot) in SS, details TBA. Sounds like they're getting rid of rating battles as we know them, only to bring in something like them?

In any case, Coro Coro promised us new info in the issue that will be released the day after. Hoping there will be stuff that wasn't announced at E3.

The sounds of (flame) war appear to have ceased for the moment. Think it’s safe out?

==> Take a peek.

Indeed, it appears a ceasefire has been called. It seems safe to post.

==>Throw a theory out there.

*ahem*

I was thinking, maybe the order of the first three gyms varies depending on which starter you choose, ala Striation Gym in BW but moreso. For example, if you chose Grookey, you’d face Nessa, then Milo, then the Fire-type gym leader.

Speaking from a neutral standpoint:

The Video Game Industry is a business, whether we like it or not. The old guard (my generation) will likely return due to the Kanto pandering, and of these people, some will be parents wanting to introduce their kids to something that meant a lot of them in their youth. Neither of these factions will care about omission of Pokemon that are not familiar to them.

The Game Devs are no fools. They have been laying the ground work for this slowly over the last few gens, whilst (presumably) knowing full well the days of the 3DS were numbered. Any one who works for big business knows you have to evolve or offer something new to stay competitive, otherwise you will stagnate and fall behind the competition. A position, admittedly that GameFreak have enjoyed because there is no close competition for this franchise, imo.

I offer a simple example. Take Audino, introduced in a generation where there were limited Pokemon to compare its abilities too. Come Gen 6, they realise that its not good enough versus its closest rivals, they give it a mega evolution. Gen 7, same thing, they give it more toys to play with by introducing Z moves. And who knew, its not currently in the Galar Dex indicating its a likely candidate for the next snap of the infinity gauntlet.

Also confirmed is the acknowledgement of an active role for those Pokemon stuck in HOME. We have no idea what this means and we mostly likely wont while the focus is on the things Sword and Shield wont be delivering.

TL;DR: They have been laying the foundation for this for years. They know what the 'favourites' are because they have all the stats from both rated and unrated battles on the PGL. This does not include those not interested in competitive, and this is of course a valid point. It all depends on what fraction of the playerbase play online versus the total of course. They've tried to make some of the lesser used Pokemon relevant but to no avail. This is their way of evolving their business model for the future. By taking out the trash.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Actually Pikachu... Notice how I very much toned things down compared to page 32? I'm not like "I'm going to boycott the boycotters!" Anymore. I'm still being honest, but I'm not turning the thread into flames anymore. Also, I had alerts like no tomorrow this whole thing, even before the flame war, so I unwatched the thread. So if you're speaking to me specifically, quote one of my posts like he did.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on this forum, and since I’m approaching 30 I’ve been wondering if maybe my time with Pokémon has come to an end. I didn’t pick up LGE & LGP and have been waiting on a new Pokémon experience. A lot of sword and shield has me intrigued. The scenery, new Pokémon, and new story are enough to to get me to consider playing video games again.

But jeez, the Dynamax thing sounds so dull compared to mega evolution & Z-moves. Having to fight raid bosses is annoying in any game and it’s one of my least favorite mechanics in GO.

Making older Pokémon unavailable is really lame and i think most of us can make an educated guess on the majority of those Pokémon that will be omitted (legendaries, starters, ultra beasts). I understand their reasons for doing it but a Pokémon game won’t feel like a Pokémon game if you can’t catch em all.

It feels like a reboot of the franchise.

Welp, I think i've said everyting I wanted to in regards to this decission (and others) game freak has made, so for once i'll just pretend to ignore everything and focus on the news that are yet to come. Altho I'm pretty upset, I'm genuinely interested in these games and I want to recover the possitive feeling of sharing this passion with others. So, for now on, I won't engage any discussion about the hard topics we've adressed. It's better that way.

Speaking of Dynamaxing.

Now that we've seen a bit of it from the Demo, it looks significantly different from the "combo of Mega and Z-move" we originally thought.

The things we learned
- There's a significant increase in the HP of the pokemon (50% or so)
- There does not appear to be an increase in either offensive or defensive stats
- Every status move gets turned in Max Guard (which we still don't know what it does)
- Attacking moves get turned into their respective Max Element
- Max moves have a minor increase in power (much lower than Z-moves, often negligible) but all bring significant side effects
- While we didn't see all of them, the ones that we seen + were available in the demo show evidence there's a Max move for each terrain, weather, and potentially stat reduction

This in my eyes show that Dynamax will have a significantly different use than we expected, and honestly, much more "balanced" than me and possibly anyone expected.

The Dynamaxed Pokemon gains a bulk increase, and a massive utility increase in being able to virtually set field conditions. It doesn't magically turn into a unkillable death machine. Dynamaxing a high BST pokemon doesn't give as much as an advantage over dynamaxing a lower BST one that however can provide more utility either.

I actually like a lot the implications (both competitive and casual) of this, deciding what to Dynamax (which, seems to be doable on-the-fly) will be a important decision both pro and reactively, and much less "i'll click this and delete something".

I hope this turns out correct when every data of the Dynamaxing is revealed, because honestly in between of all the trashtalk, I would be happy to give props to GameFreaks for once not introducing a gimmick that isnt inherently centralizing + broken.

I just realized an interesting consequence of Max Guard seemingly replacing all status moves: Dynamaxed Pokemon won't be able to actively heal themselves. They can still use passive or indirect means like Leftovers or Heal Pulse, but moves like Recover or Roost will become inaccessible. This is a huge blow to most defense-oriented Pokemon, as despite the HP boost, they're still making themselves open to a 3-turn onslaught.

Does anyone know how Dynamaxing and switching interact? Do the Dynamax turns stop counting down when the Pokemon isn't active? Can they even switch out at all?

Also, my guess for what Max Guard does is that it protects both you and your ally. Not sure if it will fail if used consecutively.

I hope this turns out correct when every data of the Dynamaxing is revealed, because honestly in between of all the trashtalk, I would be happy to give props to GameFreaks for once not introducing a gimmick that isnt inherently centralizing + broken.
I'm not entirely sure about this, as in the demo it looks like Dynamaxing does not require an item to work. Disregarding whether this could actually be possible, it could be really strong in singles with something like, say, Ash-Greninja getting rain-boosted Hydro Pumps with no external aid.

But centralizing or broken? Now that would depend on how exactly it can be activated.

Does anyone know how Dynamaxing and switching interact? Do the Dynamax turns stop counting down when the Pokemon isn't active? Can they even switch out at all?
The most logical way to do this IMO is to Dynamax to be lost on a switch out.

Judging by the demo footage, it just cancels the Dynamax altoghether.

I'm not entirely sure about this, as in the demo it looks like Dynamaxing does not require an item to work. Disregarding whether this could actually be possible, it could be really strong in singles with something like, say, Ash-Greninja getting rain-boosted Hydro Pumps with no external aid.
Note that the rain would happen after the HydroPump (so it wouldn't get the effect on the go), same for all other conditions, meaning that they can very well be reacted to (or even predicted), without needing a reactive dynamax, but also allowing a reactive dynamax (you just set rain, i'll commit my dynamax to eat that rain boosted hydropump with my boosted HP and set sun instead)

Speaking of Dynamaxing.
- While we didn't see all of them, the ones that we seen + were available in the demo show evidence there's a Max move for each terrain, weather, and potentially stat reduction
One of the demo videos also showed stat boosts (flying increased speed if I recall). So 5 stat drops + 5 stat boosts + 4 weather + 4 terrain = 18 effects seems the current likely set of effects, pending new terrains or weather or e.g. the max poison move inflicting poison/toxic instead of a stat change, randomly leaving one of the stat changes out.

Dynamaxing a high BST pokemon doesn't give as much as an advantage over dynamaxing a lower BST one that however can provide more utility either.
I would think the most likely candidates are high speed mons or really bulky ones, so they can be sure to get off whatever effect they're trying to set. It doesn't seem like there will be any options to quickly pivot to another Pokemon, given that Max moves will probably replace both U-turn and self-sacrificial moves. I also like that the effects being

I feel like this is also a conscious effort to devalue abilities which set effects on being sent in, which have historically been massively overpowered, by introducing a new mechanic which interferes with them at little opportunity cost.

I think a big part of this meta will be how Max moves interact with protect/immunities. I would assume from Max Guard that Protect won't fully block Max moves, but if it does, we'll start to see singles sets mirror doubles sets more by carrying Protect on pretty much everything. (Conversely, if it doesn't, that move will be a less central part of doubles.)

I didn't think I'd say this but Dynamax is my favourite battle gimmick so far. It feels like we're going back to a gen 4/5 style of metagame, with less focus on weather setting abilities.

One of the demo videos also showed stat boosts (flying increased speed if I recall). So 5 stat drops + 5 stat boosts + 4 weather + 4 terrain = 18 effects seems the current likely set of effects, pending new terrains or weather or e.g. the max poison move inflicting poison/toxic instead of a stat change, randomly leaving one of the stat changes out.
Given the focus on field effects and the fact Grassy Terrain works on flying types, I wonder if we'll see an effort to rebalance them across the board. Like, for instance, by making Hail do something other than chip damage.

If you're right, I also imagine we'll see certain types often paired together, such as Psychic in combination with whatever type buffs special attack.

Edit: Serebii says Dark drops the opponent's special defence and Steel boosts your defence, so you're probably right.

It should be fairly easy to accurately speculate which remaining type does what.

Last edited:
I think a big part of this meta will be how Max moves interact with protect/immunities. I would assume from Max Guard that Protect won't fully block Max moves, but if it does, we'll start to see singles sets mirror doubles sets more by carrying Protect on pretty much everything. (Conversely, if it doesn't, that move will be a less central part of doubles.)
Back when Dynamax was revealed, and we thought Max moves would be Z-move level of BP, I assumed that a bigger use of Protect / Fake out / Phazing would happen in singles.

That might still be the case to some degrees, after all Dynamax is only 3 turns

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)