Sylveon

[OVERVIEW]
  • How Sylveon is a powerful spread attacker (Mentioning PixilVoice if that's allowed)
  • How Sylveon needs moderate speed control to do its job most effectively
  • How Sylveon is extremely fragile in Defense
  • How common Steel types wall Sylveon
  • How Sylveon will face stiff competition for Mega Gardevoir when made legal
[SET]
name: Specs
move 1: Hyper Voice
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Hyper Beam / Moonblast
item: Choice Specs
ability: Pixilate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Why Hyper Voice is the best STAB move
  • How Psyshock can take out common Poison types like Mega Beedrill and Mega Gengar
  • Comparing what HP Ground can beat (Mega Beedrill, Mega Gengar, Mmeta, Heatran, etc.) and what HP Fire can beat (Bronzong before TR, Genesect, Celesteela, Amoongus, etc.)
  • Pros and cons of using either Hyper Beam or Moonblast
Set Details
========
  • [EVs TBA]
  • Pixilate making Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam STAB
  • Choice Specs maximizing damage output while still being Timid
Usage Tips
========
  • Sylveon being best used as a late-game cleaner
  • How to make sure switches in safely
  • Keeping Sylveon away from physical spread moves like EQ
Team Options
========
  • Psychic types [Counter Poison types]
  • Fire types [Counter Steel types]
  • Ground types [Counters both weaknesses, but EQ puts a dent into Sylveon]
  • Tailwind setters [Obvious]
  • Taunt users [Disables Wide Guard]
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • A Substitute Calm mind set could be run, but Poison types that outspeed would likely OHKO Sylveon before it can sub.
  • A Trick Room set is also possible, but Sylveon can easily be knocked out before it can take advantage of it, due to the fact that Trick Room has negative priority.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Speed Control**: Two Icy winds nullify Tailwind's speed boost, Thunder Wave neutralizes it in one turn, and Trick Room turns the lovely speed against it, only for it to be killed this way. Major Pokemon that can use these moves are Tornadus-Therian, Zapdos, Tapu Koko, and Bronzong.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon that are faster than what is essentially base 120 speed in Tailwind can outspeed Sylveon no matter what nd likely OHKO it with a super-effective move.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Strong physical attackers, especially Super Effective ones like Mega Metagross, can easily OHKO Sylveon due to its poor HP and Defense, which have no investment due to the nature of this set.

**Wide Guard**: Wide Guard users shut down Sylveon's best move in Hyper Voice, severely hurting its firepower.
-----------------

This is my very first smogon analysis, so I am hoping I am doing this right. If I am formatting this wrong or anything, let me know.

Last edited:
QC Reject 1/2

I'm sorry man, but this analysis is not up to Smogon's standards and is lacking in multiple areas. Your writing suggests a lack of knowledge of the DOU metagame and is really inadequate in terms of length and detail. Frankly it'd be easier to write the whole analysis myself than to go through and fix all of its mistakes. Before you consider doing another DOU analysis, please familiarize yourself with the metagame first. Good luck.

Last edited:
QC Reject 1/2

I'm sorry man, but this analysis is not up to Smogon's standards and is lacking in multiple areas. Your writing suggests a lack of knowledge of the DOU metagame and is really inadequate in terms of length and detail. Frankly it'd be easier to write the whole analysis myself than to go through and fix all of its mistakes. Before you consider doing another DOU analysis, please familiarize yourself with the metagame first. Good luck.
I thought the first QC was supposed to be bullet points..?

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Not a QC, but If you're thinking he's rejected because you wrote in bullet points, you're just wrong. He's talking about the content in said bullet points.

• You seem to be unaware that Mega Gardevoir is not legal in SM.
  • You seem unfamiliar with basic super effectiveness calculations, listing Mega Beedrill as weak to Ground and Tapu Bulu / Ninetales as HP Fire targets when Hyper Voice does more damage to these targets.
  • You show lack of metagame knowledge by EV'ing for Pokemon that aren't quite relevant (such as Mega Beedrill), as well as listing Oranguru as the best Trick Room supporter when it is not. Meanwhile, you fail to point out much more relevant Pokemon (not listing Heatran as HP Ground target)
  • Your usage tips and teambuilding options are very bare.
  • You seem set on making people use your team which I'm sure carries Tornadus-T. The whole point of analyses is to let people build their own team with Sylveon, not to advertise which Pokemon are on your team.
  • You do not mention bulkier spreads / sets despite them being far more common (and arguably more viable, but still) than the full Tailwind set.
Good luck!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Reviloja753, I'd recommend reading through the Doubles C&C Guide for some ideas on what to include, as this analysis is quite bare for the moment. Since this is your first analysis, I'll give you the chance to make some edits as marilli pointed out. PM me whenever you feel it's ready for another look and we'll see where it is then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)