Tailwind Team

This was the team that i brought to the Newark (Secaucus) VGC tournament yesterday. It was the first time I have ever done something like this so I just want to hear some opinions to see what corrections i could have made and if any part of my plan was well thought out.

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 SP Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Tailwind
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Ice Beam

My plan hear was to set up a tailwind to double my team's speed. After doing that I would be able to outspeed any non-speed boosted pokemon. Because of his ability, I take no LO damage either.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Attack/252 HP/4 SP Defense
Protect
Drain Punch
Earthquake
Rock Slide

Conkeldurr starts on the frontline for me with Sigilyph. First turn he Protects so that i dont take any damage while i get burned by my Flame Orb and Guts activates. Then with Tailwind up, I can outspeed pokemon like Bisharp and Chandelure and OHKO them before they have a chance to attack me.

Haxorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Reversal

After testing him out, I realized I prolly should of put in Rock Slide over DD. i sash'd him because I wanted to make a unique Haxorus with reversal. While on line this came in handy. I had a Tailwind up and both my opponent and I were down to our last pokes. He had an Archeops with full HP and i was down to 4 HP out of 138. I attacked him with reversal and OHKO'd him. I doubt Brick break or Rock Slide would have done that.

Landorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 SP Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Calm Mind
Earth Power
Grass Knot
Psychic

I should not of even bothered with stat boosting moves. Instead of CM, Focus Blast or protect would have been more useful. Whatever. Anyway, i was cursed with a Special Attacker but it did come in handy. Psychic and Grass Knot give good coverage while Earth Power avoids harming any of my own pokemon.

Those were the 4 pokes i used in the tournament. i had eelektross and chandelure that i didn't use. I made it to the 3rd round this year, which was farther than my friends who came with me. For my 1st appearance ever, I was very pleased with this. I lost to someone named Arkadiusz. I saw his team in the preview screen and knew I was in trouble. I'm not sure how far he got so if anyone knows please let me know.

I would strongly advise using Mach Punch instead of Protect or Earthquake. While you're protecting turn one you could be smacking things like Bisharp in the mouth. I've found that Earthquake isn't as useful as it should be in VGC, and although it's nice that Sigilyph is immune, that also means your opponent should see it coming. Additionally, if you're going to Tailwind instead of Trick Room, maybe your 4 SpD EVs would be better in Speed.

You are probably spot on about stat boosting moves; nothing really sets up like that in VGC.

Other than some of the move choices, this team seems pretty solid. It got farther than mine, so I guess I have to give you props ^.^

i was pretty lazy breeding my conkeldurr. i would prolly take out EQ for mach punch if i had the choice. and u make a good point about his ev spread as well. i appreciate ur reply VRJ!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)